Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Wasted (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wasted (a Short Story) (1331 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / The Beauty Queen (a Short Story) / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:53pm On May 15, 2017
This is a story owned by Okoribe Aruakpo.

Every event described is completely fictional hence any resemblance is entirely coincidental. I urge no one to copy this write-up without permission.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:57pm On May 15, 2017
Omoefe sat through the session looking on smugly. He was uninterested in the festivities going on even though he was the reason for the gathering. He was far above the state they were in. The obvious reason was the fact that he saw nothing in their celebrations. He had merely provided a part of the fund for the occasion and he had some spare time hence his presence.
The elders of Ohre clan had little of the uneasiness that seemed to pervade the thoughts of Omoefe. They were in the midst of a boisterous occasion celebrating the promotion of one of their illustrious son to the post of an assistant director at the federal ministry of works and productivity. This all but confirmed their confidence in the lad who has gone on to achieve great things in recent years. Omoefe was the poster child of the yearnings of the people of Ohre. He is the first university graduate in the whole community his past efforts was the stuff of legend.

Omoefe was comfortable with this weight of expectation in the beginning but of recent, he was growing weary of the burden attached to it. He had battles to fight and the more he felt vulnerable, the more he felt incapable of representing the earnest wishes of his people. He stood up mid-way through the programme and walked outside. It was already dark and he had his phone to his ear.

‘’ Aye (wife)’’ he said.

‘’ Honey’’ a soft feminine voice replied.

‘’ Sorry I have not called ever since. The ceremony is a big one and it did not start on time’’ he replied.

‘’ Okay, good night’’ she replied.

Omoefe smirked and turned round to face one of the attendants who was standing behind him. He was a teenager.

‘’ The chairman asked me to call you’’ the boy said.

‘’ Okay. I will come soon’’ he replied.

He shook his head in exasperation before walking in. He took his place by the side of the chairman. The chairman and some elders were seated facing the crowd of onlookers on a specially designated section of the hall.

‘’ Omoefe, it is time to give a speech’’ the chairman said.

He had not prepared anything but it was expected that he should give a symbolic speech. He cleared his throat and swallowed some saliva. The music that had been playing was gradually dying down and he got prepared to give the expected speech.

‘’ Good evening Mr. Chairman, the elders, the people of Ohre, I appreciate you all for your love and reception to what seems like a personal achievement. It is important for me to say that I appreciate your love and support which have been instrumental to my success in the past and recent years. It is not wrong for you all to celebrate this noble achievement as it is your support that has motivated me. I recognize my role as a model to everyone and a pioneer of sort and I can only pledge my commitment to assisting the youth of this community in whatever way I can’’

It was a loud standing ovation that greeted his pause and he could see that they were eager to hear more.

‘’ The task of building this community is one that I have sworn to ensure to completion and I look forward to joining hands with other enterprising youths of Ohre to make it happen’’

The applause grew louder this time and he sat down immediately, a subtle confirmation that he was done with the speech. The chairman, a middle aged man, fair in complexion and average in height stood up to talk next.

‘’ We thank our son, Omoefe who has continually made us proud due to his remarkable achievements that have now gone national. His speech also goes a long way to confirm the fact that our trust in him is not misplaced and we the elders can only wish him the best’’ he said.

A raucous applause followed the chairman’s speech. Omoefe received the hand of the chairman in a warm handshake and soon all the others at the table followed as they shook hands. Just at that moment, food and drinks were brought in and they started distributing it among themselves. The meal was eba and soup served with palm wine and other assorted drinks. Omoefe ate little of the meal given to him while he watched as the people ate their portions. He felt honoured to have been the subject of this gathering but he knew this was no relief. Instead, his mind and thoughts were firmly fixed on upstaging the vicious attacks of Usman, a colleague at the headquarters of the ministry of work and productivity. He managed to maintain a cheerful appearance though despite the nagging thought of possible defeat.
The meeting ended around 10:00pm. He sighed in relief as he walked towards his car. Suddenly he saw two men walking towards him. One was taller than the other. He waited a while seeing that he was the target.

‘’ Oza, we need your help’’

It was the shorter and elderly man that spoke. He was dark and the surrounding darkness only made a curious imprint of his silhouette.

‘’ Okay’’ Omoefe said.

‘’ This is my son’’ the man drew the other closer’’ he has an important equipment to show you’’

‘’ Is it here?’ Omoefe asked.

‘’ Yes, but will you be able to see it in the dark?’ the older man asked skeptically.

‘’ What is it he wants to show me?’

‘’ Sir, it is a little machine’’ the son interjected.

‘’ Sir, I will be travelling very early tomorrow morning. Let me have your number and I will send a message across once I have looked at it’’ he suggested.

‘’ Okay, Benjamin, give him my number’’ the old man nudged his son.

The boy called out the number while Omoefe dialed it. After a while, the boy gave him a file.

‘’ Sir, that is a graphic representation of what I intend to do’’ the boy said.

‘’ What is your name?’ Omoefe asked.

‘’ Benjamin sir’’ he replied.

‘’ Okay, I will go through this and make sure to get back to your father’’ he said.

Omoefe opened the front door of his car, entered and drove off as soon as the engine started. Father and son stood for a while as they watch the car drive out of sight. That was the beginning of a triangle of events that would uncover one of the brewing battle that had seemed under the radar.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:12am On May 16, 2017
The dark had descended on the Federal Capital territory. In the upper class region of Maitama, citizens ever so open to fun had gathered at the various hotels, restaurants and clubs that dotted this part of the Capital. Money was the common relationship that existed between the service providers and the fun seekers. Blaring music could be heard from the surrounding fun service outlets. People of different ages, size and colour walked in company of twos and threes.

Down at the Deep Blue hotel, an architectural masterpiece, Sarki sat almost oblivious to what was happening around him. He was seated at the bar where other people of similar ilk, upper-class men with loads of cash to spend sat amidst the music that was blaring from a speaker placed at the top left corner of the bar. Sarki was a man in his early fifties, he was a bit taller than average and had a big round pouch. He had as company, Usman, a man that had almost outgrown his youthful years. In between was a table that contains four bottles of star lager beer, two plates of pepper soup on it. Sarki wore a serious expression while his companion took time to hold his gaze from time to time.

‘’ That boy must be taught a lesson’’ he grunted ‘’ he had barely spent a week in the department and he is already pointing fingers at some projects I am supervising’’

‘’ Sir, he is a perfect example of a rebel’’ Usman blurted.

‘’ I hate confronting rebels though I have had a fair share of them in the past and all of them have ended up in the dump yard. This boy is brilliant though but I won’t consider that when it is time for me to deal with him’’

‘’ Sir, there is little he can do. He is no different from the several career civil servants…’’ Usman stopped.

Sarki had not taken kindly to the statement as he eyed him with anger.

‘’ I am not in a hurry to act but won’t let him push me to the wall either’’ Sarki noted in a tone of finality.

Sarki had much to think about as a director in the ministry of work and productivity. He was in charge of the supervisory duties at the new power projects. He had everything going well for him until the coming of the fresh-faced Omoefe. Due to the enormous authority he wielded as a director at the supervisory unit of the ministry, he had cleverly used this to accrue benefits in cash and kind for himself. Omoefe came with an impressive C.V as he had served meritoriously at the ministry of petroleum and other allied matters. The difference in their world-view became evident from their first meeting together.

Omoefe had paid little attention to the device in his bonnet. His mind was firmly on the road as he had miles to cover before he would arrive in Port Harcourt. He had bought a flight ticket that would take him to Abuja. He had just being promoted to the level of an assistant director and was redeployed to the ministry of Works and productivity due to his stellar performance at the Ministry of Petroleum. Unfortunately, he had met with Dr. Sarki, a difficult and corrupt individual. It was a surprising fact that he was not corrupt especially in the murky and highly politicized world of the civil service. His stance on doing the right things had only earned him little and surreptitious praise amidst the web of hostility that tends to define his relationship with his colleagues. The oppositions had only made him grow a thick skin and this had earned him a promotion from the lower end of the civil service to the enviable role of an assistant director.

From time to time, his mind kept on weighing how he was going to fulfil his role as the most influential man in his village. He knew the reception was not a mere occasion. It was a subtle confirmation of his coronation as a vanguard of prosperity for the populace. The arrival of the old man and his son thus was not much of a surprise but his attention had instead been arrested by the manner of assistance he could render with the documents in his possession. After a long drive of four hours, he arrived Port Harcourt and drove straight to the house of his friend, Mr. Dickson. They were colleagues until his recent transfer to the Federal capital. He met Dickson’s wife at home and she led him to the guest room where he rested for a while.

By the time he woke up, the sun was gradually retreating to its rest. He sat for a while before remembering the device that had been given to him at the village. He had the file in his suitcase and he proceeded to open it. The file had sheets of paper which contained some graphic designs. He read through the introduction on the first page and discovered that it was a final year project of the son of the old man. It was a detailed analysis of a solar electric system. He was stunned and he left the room for the garage in order to take a look at the prototype in his car. The machine was a clear piece of amateur work, wires were roughly connected and the metal covering had been crudely joined together. He studied the machine with interest that he didn’t realize when his friend drove in to the compound.

‘’ Hey man’’ Dickson called.

‘’ Oh, you are back’’ Omoefe said surprised.

‘’ What is that you are holding. Your mind is firmly focused on it’’ Dickson said as he walked to him.

‘’ Man, I got this from a boy in my village. It is a prototype of a solar powered electric system’’ Omoefe said.

Dickson had stooped in order to get a good view of the machine.

‘’ This is a good work but what do you intend to do with this?’ Dickson asked skeptically.

‘’ I haven’t decided yet. Maybe I will just let this lay low for now. So what’s up’’

Omoefe closed the boot. They chatted on their walk to the house. They had a long chat and parted just before it was 10:00pm. Omoefe had a nice rest in readiness for his return to the capital. As soon as it was morning, he got ready to leave for the airport. Dickson drove him to the airport and they bade each other good bye at the entry point. Omoefe was expecting his car in Abuja in three days’ time as he was not interested in driving down to Abuja. The flight took off an hour behind schedule and he arrived later than he had wanted.
He arrived at the Federal Secretariat building just before 10:00am. He hurried to the office of the director in charge of his division. On arrival, he knocked and opened the door. He met three men in the director, Dr Sarki’s office and they were conversing.
‘’ Good morning Dr. Sarki, I am sorry for coming late’’ he apologized as he hurried to sit.

Sarki shook his head while the others acknowledged him with a stare.

‘’ So before the interruption, what is the plan for the week?’ Sarki asked.

‘’ Sir, the inspection tour of Kabilla power project is scheduled for Wednesday’’ Usman, one of the men said.

‘’ Okay, I think that will be all for now’’ Sarki said with a wave of his right hand.

The men stood up and left leaving Omoefe and Sarki who was reclining in his swirling settee.

‘’ Sir, Is there anything I need to know?’ Omoefe asked.

‘’ Isn’t that a funny question to ask. You just go and have a good rest’’ he said in irritation.

‘’ I thought I was supposed to be part of the team for the inspection tour of Kambilla…’’

‘’ That was until you decided to stay away from the meeting we just held. Efe or whatever you are called, you must understand that business is handled with utmost priority here and time is of the essence. I hope this serves as a lesson to you’’

Omoefe left immediately Sarki was done. He was beginning to dislike the man and he was sure he needed to do something fast to quell whatever plan the man had against him. He sat gloomy in his office throughout the work day. He left as soon as it was four in the evening for Nyanya, a suburb of the city. He lived there with his wife and their three sons. He met his wife and their little boy Joshua, in the sitting room. He embraced his wife and left for the bedroom. The thought of the event at the office was a burden that refused to ease. He took his clothes off and laid on the bed to relax his frayed mind.

His car arrived on the third day as he had arranged and he paid the driver the agreed sum. The arrival of the car took his mind back to the meeting he had had in the village. He had barely taken a look at the file but once he set eyes on the prototype, he decided to do a thorough study that same day. He had done substantial study of the documents enclosed in the file when his phone rang around 8:00pm.

‘’ Good evening’’ an elderly voice greeted.

‘’ Good evening Sir’’ Omoefe replied.

‘’ This is Uzuo, Benjamin’s father’’

‘’ Okay. I am sorry for not replying on time’’ Omoefe said.

‘’ No problem’’ Uzuo replied.

‘’ I must say that your son has a very good project. Please can I talk to him?’

‘’ Yes’’

A little shuffle in the line and then he heard the voice of the younger man.

‘’ Good evening sir’’ Benjamin greeted.

‘’ Good evening Ben, I spoke to your father about your work’’ Omoefe said.

‘’ Okay Sir’’

‘’ I like the concept and would not mind having you come around to Abuja to see how well we can go with this project’’

‘’ That will be great Sir!’ Benjamin exclaimed.

‘’ Okay let me speak with your father’’

Another shuffle and he heard the old man make a croaky noise ostensibly to clear his voice.

‘’ Sir, I hope you won’t have a problem with Benjamin coming to Abuja to stay with me’’ Omoefe said.

‘’ No problem if that is what is needed to make his dream come true’’ Uzuo replied.

‘’ Okay, give me some few days. I will have to make some arrangements’’

‘’ Okay, thank you very much Oza’’

Omoefe dropped the call and breathed hesitantly. He had never thought of the idea he just shared with Uzuo but there was little he could do now than to honour his promise. The project was indeed a novel one, a grand design to supply electric power to rural communities with solar energy. The only obstacle was Sarki. He needed his support to push forward the project. A lot of money was needed and he knew there was no easier capital than the seed fund managed by the ministry of power and productivity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 5:06pm On May 16, 2017
Another good work. Keep it up
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:06am On May 17, 2017
xaviercasmir:
Another good work. Keep it up
Thanks. Good to have you here.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:12am On May 17, 2017
Sarki stared with anger at the clock. He was waiting for the arrival of his right hand man, Usman. It was a week already since he heard the most unfortunate decision made by Omoefe. He gritted his teeth in distaste at the effrontery of the boy to go beyond him in his quest to launch a supposed novel project.

‘’ This boy has bitten more than he can chew, I will ensure he is destroyed’’ he gritted his teeth in disgust.

Usman came into the office just at that moment. He knew his boss would be angry especially from the way he sounded on the phone. His expression was not different from his anticipation thus he cowered in fear.

‘’ I am sorry sir for coming late’’ he stammered.

‘’ Sorry for yourself, so what do you have?’ Sarki asked still agitated.

‘’ The boys have reported little information except the fact that a young man lives with him. Also they said they have seen them together going to different places’’ Usman said.

Sarki urged Usman to sit. He stood up and started pacing. The permanent secretary had called him that morning to inform him of Omoefe’s request for a substantial sum of money. He ought to have known before the permanent secretary and the fact that Omoefe went ahead of him in the process had got him angry.

‘’ It is time we engage that boy’’ Sarki said.

‘’ Okay sir’’

Life in the city was an experience Benjamin was gradually growing accustomed to. His days were mainly spent indoors in Omoefe’s house. He was gradually losing his patience as he was not used to staying idle for too long. Occasionally Omoefe had taken him around the city. They had made little headway in getting approval for the project and his effort at job-hunting had resulted in little to cheer about. Suddenly, he realized that the man he looked up to was just a lucky minion in a game of giants. It had been a month since he arrived Abuja but he could barely point to any positive. He was instead feeling claustrophobic especially as a result of his relations with Omoefe’s wife.

On this day, he had no thought of making any significant move even as he had resigned his thought to the possibility of returning to his village. He decided to take a stroll when he came upon a team of men clad in polo and jeans. They were three in number. They stopped him immediately and they surrounded him.

’ Can you identify yourself?’ one asked in a rude voice.

Benjamin looked around confusedly. All had fiery looking eyes which he thought was their ploy to intimidate him.

‘Sir, may I know you?’ he asked.

The man who had asked laughed rather hysterically.

‘You are joking if you really want to question me. We know what you are up to’ the man replied.

Benjamin was obviously shaken by the man’s accusation. He had no knowledge of what the man was referring to.

‘Sir, I think you have got the wrong person’ he retorted.

The men looked at each other for a moment before the leader spoke again. This time his tone was polite.

‘We need you for a special operation’ he said.

The offer was an absolute surprise to Benjamin. It was true he needed a job but the manner of the offer was beyond his imagination.

‘Okay’

‘’ You will have to come with us’’ the leader said.

Benjamin was still not sure of the offer but the look on the leader’s face conveyed some element of sincerity and assurance.

‘’ How about you tell me where you are taking me to?’ Benjamin asked.

‘’ Benjamin right’’

Benjamin nodded in shock at the man’s knowledge.

‘’ We are not going far from here and we can assure you of your safety’’

‘’ Okay sir’’

He followed them and they stopped by a Toyota Camry parked at the side of the road. One of the men went to the driver’s side, opened the door and proceeded to open the others. Benjamin entered the car along with them and they drove away immediately.

They arrived at the front of a beautiful restaurant after twenty minutes of driving. The location was Wuse, a high class area in the Federal Capital territory. Benjamin watched as the leader who had sat beside him opened the door and walked to the restaurant. He spent just a few minutes in the restaurant and returned to the car.

‘’ Benjamin, please come with me’’

Benjamin obeyed despite the doubt that was still hanging heavily in his mind. He was sure of one thing though, he could get away without being hurt considering that there were at a public place. They walked in and the leader turned to the left and led him to a table where a lone man sat. The man was dark, wore an embroidered cap and was dressed in a kaftan. He was clearly a Northerner and Benjamin could easily guess that he was less than fifty.

‘’ Sir, he is here’’ the leader said.

The man flashed a reluctant smile and shook hands with Benjamin.

‘’ How are you, gentleman?’ he asked.

‘’ I am fine Sir’’ Benjamin said.

‘’ I am Usman, what is your name?’ he asked.

‘’ I am Benjamin’’

Usman gestured that they should sit and Benjamin obliged.

‘’ What would you like to take?’ Usman asked.

‘’ Nothing, I am fine’’ Benjamin replied.
Suddenly, he felt relaxed. It was a surprise though as he was yet to know the man’s intention.

‘’ I will urge you to relax. This is a meeting that could give birth to a successful partnership between me and you. I think I know something about you already’’

‘’ What do you know about me?’ Benjamin asked completely unsure of what the man was pointing towards.

‘’ I know you could easily be sitting on a multi-billion naira project at the moment’’ a strange chuckle followed.

‘’ Don’t worry, I was joking. You submitted a project for approval at the ministry of works and productivity two weeks ago’’ Usman said.

‘’ No’’ Benjamin replied.

‘’ Then who did, I don’t know if I am intruding but I saw a name Benjamin Udu in the file submitted by one of my co-workers’’ Usman said.

Benjamin could barely lay his thoughts on any clue relating to what the man was trying to tell him.

‘’ Do you know any man that bears Omoefe?’ Usman asked.

‘’ Yes sir. He is my uncle’’ Benjamin replied in surprise.

‘’ Then I think there is a red flag here. You must realize that patent infringement is rife in this country but I can help you’’

‘’ Sir, I think we are getting something mixed up here’’

‘’ Don’t worry, I understand your fear. I will give you my phone number and I need you to call later this evening but you need to do something for me’’

Benjamin could barely bring himself to accept the fact that he was about to trust a complete stranger. Nevertheless, he took the paper Usman gave to him. He had written his phone number on it.

‘’ I want you to ask him about the letter he submitted at the office of the permanent secretary’’

‘’ Okay’’

‘’ I will be waiting for your call. Just give me a ring and I will call back’’

Benjamin got the message and stood up immediately. Everything appeared like a puzzle to him but the man definitely knew something that could resolve the static state of events around him. He was assailed by different thoughts as he made his way out of the restaurant. He saw the car still parked at the same spot and he walked towards it. The leader opened the door and asked him to enter. They drove off immediately. Usman sat reclining in the chair at the restaurant. He had a bland look despite the fact that he could acknowledge that the meeting was indeed a successful one. He would wait to see how events pan out.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 11:04am On May 18, 2017
Omoefe loved the bush bar that was not too far from his home. Once in a while, he came around to partake of the regular meal of pepper soup with assorted fish and a bottle of chilled beer. Today was one of such moment as he reclined amidst the noise from the speaker at the main seating area, that of the ever boisterous patrons and that from outside the bar. He was sipping from his beer while lost in thought. He had struggled to suppress the disappointing news he got from the permanent secretary all to no avail. It was a simple plan on his part. Put up the whole solar project like his and ask from a subvention from the ministry without Sarki knowing anything about it. Unfortunately, he was wrong. The permanent secretary, Mr. Essien, despite the fact that he was not from the North of the country had ended up opening up to Sarki. He clasped his hands in anger. His earlier optimism about work in the civil service have been dampened since his deployment to the ministry of works and productivity. He could barely bring himself to acknowledge the fact that a project that ought to bring a solution to the problem of power supply could be scuttled by the jealous and corrupt ways of Sarki. He drank the remaining beer in haste and settled the bill.

It was 8:00pm when he left the bar. He arrived home just as the electric supply went off. He was greeted on arrival by his wife and two of his sons who were working on some school assignment with the light emanating from an electric rechargeable lantern. He left for the bedroom immediately. He had a quick shower and returned to the sitting room. It was quiet by the time he returned.

‘’ How was your day?’ his wife asked.

‘’ It was not so good. Where is Benjamin?’ He asked.

‘’ May be he is in his room’’

He relaxed into the couch. While he tried to bat the thoughts of Sarki’s overbearing influence, the lack of power supply gave vent to his frustration with the retrogressive state of events.

‘’ I made Eba and Egusi soup’’ she said.

‘’ Okay’’

She served him where he was sitting in the sitting room and he ate in silence. He ate little as a result of the meal he had at the bush bar. He was still resting in the sitting room when he heard a knock on the door.

‘’ Who is there?’ he asked.

‘’ Benjamin sir’’

He walked to open the door while he instinctively looked at the wall clock. It was 9:00pm. Benjamin locked the door behind him and walked to where Omoefe was sitting.

‘’ Good evening Sir’’ he greeted.

‘’ How are you?’ Omoefe asked.

‘’ I am fine sir’’

He sat down amidst the silence that followed.

‘’ Sir, is there any news about the project?’

‘’ No, there is no good one yet’’

Benjamin studied Omoefe’s facial expression. Since his meeting with Usman, he was suddenly in doubt of Omoefe’s support.

‘’ So what is holding the project back?’ Benjamin asked.

‘’ I have told you not to worry, you won’t understand the whole situation if I tell you’’ Omoefe replied.

‘’ Is it a problem with the permanent secretary?’

Omoefe was dumbfounded.

‘’ Who told you that. Who have you been talking to?’

‘’ No one, I am just tired of staying in a spot’’
‘’ I have told you to be patient but if you want to leave, you are free’’

‘’ I think I want to leave’’

It was an uneasy silence that followed Benjamin’s statement. Omoefe relapsed into a grave silence as he struggled to come to terms with the new Benjamin.

‘’ Sir, I am ready to leave soon’’ Benjamin pressed on.

‘’ Why, I don’t think you understand the implication of what you want to do’’ Omoefe replied in angst.

‘’ Sir, I am tired of waiting. I don’t think I can manage the situation any more’’

‘’ Okay, how about tomorrow?’ Omoefe asked.

‘’ I am ready sir’’

Benjamin averted Omoefe’s look as it was piercing and intrusive. He had not thought of the implication of his meeting with Usman until now. He had thought of the possibility of working with Usman and this had embodied him to consider the option of leaving. He left the sitting room conscious of the fact that Omoefe’s eyes trailed him. He sat on the bed and brought out his phone. It was 9:00pm. He dialed Usman’s number.

‘’ Good evening Sir’’ he greeted.

‘’ Good evening, who is this?’ Usman asked.

‘’ Benjamin, the …’’

‘’ Okay, I expected you to call. Hang up let me call you back’’

The line went dead and Benjamin waited awhile before his phone rang again. It was Usman.

‘’ Hello sir’’

‘’ Okay, Benjamin. What is the news?’

‘’ He didn’t confirm what you told me. He was angry instead’’

‘’ I hope you understand the help I am rendering to you. So what do you plan on doing now?’ Usman asked.

‘’ I have told him I intend to leave Abuja. It is possible I leave tomorrow’’

‘’ Good. You must protect that which belongs to you’’

‘’ Thank you sir’’

‘’ You are welcome. I will keep in touch’’

The line went dead and Benjamin fell back on his mattress. He had barely had time to think and now the confrontation with Omoefe was about to send him back to the village, a possible dream-killer.

Faraway in Wuse, Usman had just dropped the call to Benjamin. He was relaxing in his sitting room under the glare of the mercury-lit bulb. He was watching a musical performance. After the call he made to Benjamin, he was quite delighted at the turnaround in events. He quickly placed a call to Sarki.

‘’ Hello Usman’’ a familiar drone sound.

‘’ Good evening sir’’ Usman greeted.

‘’ What can I do for you?’

Usman gave him the rundown of the day’s events while smiling contentedly.

‘’ This is good to hear’’

The line went off immediately. Despite the abrupt reply from his boss, Usman was sure he had effectively proved an able lieutenant in crushing the threat of the latest adversary. He increase the volume of the music and drank more from the bottle of wine in front of him.

Omoefe did not go to bed after the meeting with Benjamin. He was instead trying to come to terms with Benjamin’s decision to travel back to the village. Why he could easily accuse him of being ungrateful and impatient, he also knew that there was little or no time for Benjamin. After all, going by the slow pace of government activities, it could actually take a long time for them to get approval for the project. He was deep in thought when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

‘’ Why don’t you come to bed’’ his wife said.

‘’ Alright, I will come soon’’

He stood up from the couch and followed his wife to the bedroom.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 9:28pm On May 18, 2017
Always consistant with your update. Keep it up boss.
If i may ask, are you writing for a hobby? Because not all the writers in this forum will continue to update when there are few people who comment on their work. Just like your other work GRACE. It had few people that comment on it.
Whatever reason, just keep it up
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by llaykorn: 7:12am On May 19, 2017
Keep this coming bro, I'm glued already.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:45am On May 19, 2017
xaviercasmir, I take my work serious hence my decision to look beyond the cold reception sometimes. I appreciate your comment.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 7:46am On May 19, 2017
llaykorn:
Keep this coming bro, I'm glued already.
You are welcome bro.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by xaviercasmir(m): 12:51pm On May 19, 2017
Akposb:
xaviercasmir, I take my work serious hence my decision to look beyond the cold reception sometimes. I appreciate your comment.
ok. Just keep it up
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 6:31pm On May 19, 2017
The next morning, Benjamin dressed up in time as he knew Omoefe would be leaving for work early. He was bent on leaving but he was not going to the village. He had instead set another plan in motion which he was bent on executing. Omoefe was surprised to see Benjamin with his luggage in the sitting-room when he entered. Omoefe wore a blue shirt on a black trouser.

‘’ Good morning sir’’ Benjamin greeted.

‘’ Good morning. So you insist on leaving’’ Omoefe queried.

‘’ Yes’’

‘’ Okay, I will drop you off in the park’’

‘’ I need my work’’

Omoefe could hardly hide his disgust as he stared angrily at Benjamin. He left for his room and returned with the file.

‘’ Have it’’

Benjamin stretched his hand and took it. He followed Omoefe outside as they walked towards his car. He saw the prototype in the boot when he opened it in order to keep his luggage.

‘’ I will drop you off at the park’’ Omoefe said.

Benjamin sat beside Omoefe in the front and they drove to the central motor-park located at Nyanya. It was not very far from the residence of Omoefe. He gave Benjamin five thousand naira and left him with his file, luggage and prototype. Benjamin watched as he drove away and satisfied that he was gone, he brought out his phone and made a call. He waited by the busy roadside for about fifteen minutes before he saw the Toyota Camry driving towards him. The car stopped just in front of him and the leader of the three men came down. He proceeded to carry the prototype while Benjamin carried his luggage and they dropped them in the boot. He joined the leader at the back and they drove some distance into Nyanya and they stopped in front of an uncompleted building. Benjamin had a curious look on his face as he tried to identify with what they had come to do at the abandoned building.

‘’ Usman has a message for you’’ the leader said.

Benjamin nodded as he looked in the bloodshot eyes of the man. His voice was a thick glottal sound.

‘’ Here is a cheque of a hundred thousand naira. He wants you to handover everything to us’’

Benjamin looked aghast at the cheque. He had not seen this sum but it was a minor price for his dream.

‘’ I don’t want to sell, this was not what we discussed on phone’’ Benjamin protested.

‘’ The plan changed. You should be grateful for this handsome offer’’

Benjamin could barely hide his anger and distaste. He felt insulted.

‘’ I am not interested. I will call him’’

He brought out his phone to make a call and the leader snatched it from him. Anger was clearly written on his face.

‘’ You should know by now that you have no option. It is for you to take it or disappear’’

The look on the face of the leader was sinister. The car was unbearably quiet as Benjamin considered the option before him. Suddenly, he discovered that there was hardly any people on the street.

‘’ I wonder what you are thinking about. We have little time’’ the leader said.

‘’ I am not interested in the money or whatever Usman wants to give to me. I want to leave now’’

‘’ Okay, you are free’’

He opened the door and was about alighting when he felt a deadly force hit him just by the side of his abdomen. It was a shot and Benjamin could only remember the stern look on the leader’s face as he fell to the ground. The car drove away immediately leaving Benjamin in the throes of death. It was a deserted street and he could barely stand up due to the excruciating pain from the bullet wound. He could easily count his breath pulse as life slowly left him.

The news of Benjamin’s death was among the headlines in a major newspaper released the next morning. It was a case of an unnamed man who was not rescued on time from a case of suspected robbery. Omoefe was confronted by the image as he scanned through the newspaper at lunch. He took a brief look at the grisly image but for a moment he was drawn to the face of the victim. He felt he bore a striking resemblance to Benjamin. His suspicion gathered momentum after taking a look at the red t-shirt and blue jeans wore by the victim. He suddenly stood up seemingly overwhelmed with dread and fear. He had not bothered to call Benjamin after he left the previous day. He brought out his phone and called Benjamin’s phone number.

‘’ Hello’’ a male voice said.

‘’ Hello, I want to speak with Benjamin’’ Omoefe replied.

‘’ Sir, I am detective Ben from the CID’’ he said.

Omoefe suddenly went cold.

‘’ Hello’’

‘’ Oh, how did you get this phone?’ Omoefe asked.

‘’ The owner of this phone is in a critical state at the moment. Are you a relation?’ Ben asked.

‘’ Yes’’

‘’ We would appreciate if you can come over to our office’’

‘’ Okay’’

‘’ Do you know our office?’

‘’ Yes, I do’’

Omoefe struggled to stay on his feet as he sank back into the chair. The newspaper had confirmed it and he knew right then that the officer had chosen to hide the true state of affairs. He struggled to keep his feelings in check and then tears came streaming down his face. He brought out a white handkerchief and cleaned his face. There was a big question which he desired an answer to at that moment.

‘’ Who could have killed Benjamin’’

The questions kept streaming into his thoughts as he struggled to console himself. He stood up after some ten minutes and left the building immediately for the garage. He drove to the office of the CID. He registered his complaint to the receptionist who led him to the office of detective Ben. He is dark-skinned, tall and well built.

‘’ You are welcome sir’’ Ben said.

‘’ Thank you’’

‘’ Please what is your relationship with the victim’’

‘’ The victim is an indigene of my community. I brought him to Abuja and he left my house yesterday morning with the intention to travel back to the village. I dropped him off at the park in Nyanya’’

‘’ This is an incredible piece of information. His body was discovered in Wuse. I wonder what he went to do there’’

‘’ Sir, what is his condition presently?’ Omoefe asked.

Ben’s face fell at this point. It only confirmed Omoefe’s suspicion.

‘’ We found him dead’’

‘’ So what do this commission think about his death?’

‘’ He died from a bullet wound. Investigation still continues but we will release his body after an autopsy has been conducted. Can you inform his family on our behalf?’ Ben asked.

‘’ That is the hardest part sir. My head is swirling in confusion’’

‘’ I understand. The event surrounding his death is the most questionable part of our preliminary investigation. This information you have given just makes the case a bit difficult and at the same time easy to unravel if you are willing to volunteer more information’’

‘’ I think I have given you all the information you need sir’’

‘’ What is the name of the deceased?’

‘’ His name is Benjamin Okoh’’

‘’ Okay, sir, what is your name and your occupation?’

‘’ My name is Omoefe Irueru. I am a worker at the Federal ministry of works and productivity’’

‘’ Okay, that is good. Definitely since you said you brought him to Abuja, then you should be able to know something about his dealings and movement’’

‘’ I am not one to hold someone down for too long especially for someone as old as Benjamin. Benjamin was twenty-eight and he had come to search for job here. I effectively allowed him to do whatever he wants and that includes giving him the permission to move around the city’’

‘’ Sir, I do appreciate these information you have supplied. I can see you are shaken by the loss, you can go for now. I will call you when I need your help’’

‘’ Thank you’’

Omoefe walked out of the office with slumped shoulders. He knew the case would be hard to crack especially a one with so much secrets. He sat down in his car and rested his head on the steering. He managed to drive home after some time.
He arrived home and found that the door was locked. He reckoned his wife must have gone out. He raised the foot-mat in front of the door and took a single key that was beneath. He opened the door and entered the sitting-room. The house was dead silent. It only accentuated the feeling of loss that had overwhelmed him up till the present. He fell on the couch in the sitting-room and his mind went to work immediately.

He knew the death was not a mere coincidence. There was more to it that could not be revealed without a proper investigation which he feared was beyond the ability of the CID especially in relation to the fact that they had a bulk of past unresolved cases. He was brought back to reality when his phone rang. The caller was Benjamin’s father. He swallowed the saliva that had formed in his mouth.

‘’ Hello, dhewo sir’’ he greeted.

‘’ Vrendo Oza, how are you?’

‘’ I am fine sir’’

‘’ What is the state of things as regards Benjamin’s work. He has not given me any concrete reply since the last time we spoke’’
Omoefe struggled to keep the feelings of pain and regret that was coursing through his being. How was he going to reveal the fact that the owner of the project is dead and the project is nowhere to be found?

‘’ Oza’’

‘’ Sorry sir, it is undergoing a process and it will be sent across to the minister as soon as it is approved’’

‘’ Okay, thank you very much for your assistance’’

‘’ Thank you sir’’

He dropped the phone on the chair and he contemplated the white polymer ceiling that was staring back at him. He must have slept off as he came to consciousness after he felt a pat on his arm. He made out the face of his wife who was looking at him.

‘’ Honey, you returned early today’’ she said.
He stood up and his muscles creaked in satisfaction.

‘’ I have a problem’’ he said.

‘’ What is it?’ she asked still standing.

He had his head down as he contemplated the effect the story might have on his wife. He asked her to sit which she did with some curiosity.

‘’ Benjamin is dead’’ he said.

His wife was lost for words as she opened her mouth in shock. He bowed his head and heard soft sobs from her. He was gone past that now, his mind was firmly on how he was going to inform Benjamin’s father. It was also quite realistic to think that the puzzle around Benjamin’s death would not be unraveled.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by comelyJummy(f): 7:17pm On May 19, 2017
Nice story!! great work!
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:28am On May 20, 2017
comelyJummy:
Nice story!! great work!
Thanks.
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by Akposb(m): 10:32am On May 20, 2017
Sarki was feeling cool and serene once again. The past month had been one of the busiest in his civil service career. Omoefe had almost sprang a deadly surprise on him. He relished the thought of his recent triumph as he enjoyed the cool air emanating from the air conditioner in his office. Suddenly, he heard a knock on the door and he issued out an order for the person to open. Usman walked in and went to stand in front of him.

‘’ Good morning sir’’

‘’ Good morning, you can have your seat’’

Usman sat down. Sarki turned to look at him fully.

‘’ You and your boys have done well’’

‘’ Thank you sir’’

‘’ So what do you suggest we do with the boy’s properties’’

‘’ The bag containing his close has been taken care of but we kept the prototype and the file. They are quite valuable materials’’

‘’ I understand. I want you to put them away for now. The case is still a hot topic and Omoefe could easily relate with the materials. The most important thing is that this project will not come to fruition’’

‘’ Okay sir’’

‘’ Usman, I appreciate your loyalty and this will be duly rewarded’’

‘’ I do appreciate your kindness sir’’

‘’ Let’s meet at our usual spot later this evening. I got a beautiful package for you’’

Usman smiled in appreciation and stood up from the chair. Sarki shook his hand and Usman left the office. Sarki could imagine his outsize figure. He felt like a feudal lord whose authority is non-contestable. The ministry was indeed his fiefdom and he was not done yet with bringing down his enemies. Omoefe was just the latest and he couldn’t but salivate at the prospect of victory over his next aggressor.

Three months ago and that was all it took for Omoefe to find himself on the other extreme of his community’s expectation. He had thought of discussing the issue with Benjamin’s father alone but he felt it was beyond them hence he had invited the chairman of administrative duties in the community. His assistant was also invited and they sat together in the sitting-room of Benjamin’s father. He was surprised by the visit and he showed signs and curiosity.

‘’ Good day elders’’ Omoefe greeted.

They chorused a reply.

‘’ Something unfortunate has happened’’ an anxious start.

The elders’ became piqued at this point. Bad news was not pleasant no matter how much one tries to douse his impact.

‘’ A week ago, Benjamin decided to return home as he had been living with me for a month. He had the consent of his father when he visited and it was a plan that has to do with providing a reliable source of electricity. Difficulties as a result of opposition from some top officials in the civil service made the project to remain in the planning stage’’

He paused and the silence that greeted him made him realize he had the rapt attention of all who were seated.

‘’ Benjamin told me he was tired of staying without any tangible job hence he told me that he wanted to return home. I drove him to the park and gave him the fare for his return home. After that, I didn’t hear from him until I heard about his death…’’

A gasp of horror and mournful sounds from the men greeted his revelation. Benjamin’s father stood up and began to pace to and fro. Omoefe decided to keep quiet as he took in the effect of his revelation on the elders.

‘’ Sir, I decided to report as soon as it was convenient. The case is under investigation as he died from a bullet wound’’ he concluded.

This last statement brought him back to limelight as the elders turned to look at him. He could feel the tension in the room.

‘’ Oza, this is quite unfortunate. This kind of death is alien to us’’ the chairman said visibly shaken.

‘’ I never had premonition but I always felt Benjamin had too many big dreams and finally what I feared most has happened. It will be futile to blame anyone or anybody but this is so unbearable’’ Benjamin’s father lamented.

Omoefe had his head on his hand as he listened to Benjamin’s father. He felt relieved by the man’s submission. Little was said afterwards as the men extended hands of solidarity to their kin’s-man. Life was indeed short and brutal. Omoefe drove to see his mother after the meeting. He had not revealed the reason for his visit until his revelation to Benjamin’s father. Once he got home, he had a quick shower and relaxed under the glow of the kerosene lantern. He refused to eat dinner and this led to questions from his mother. He told her after much pestering. She cried out in anguish once she heard the news and Omoefe had a hard time pacifying her. He was tired already and he felt uncomfortable as he thought of how the community would receive the information once the matter gets out to them. He left the next morning after a brief stopover at Benjamin’s home.

Bernard, the detective had a lot of problems with the recent death of Benjamin. An autopsy had been conducted and it was ascertained that the deceased had died of gunshot wound. The information supplied by his benefactor had revealed a curious twist to the case and this had been the clue he had worked on in the days after their meeting. Unfortunately, subsequent interactions with his benefactor had revealed little thus his struggles to establish a suitable fitting point to rein in the possible suspects. The body of Benjamin was in the mortuary of the central hospital and the immediate plan was to release it as soon as it was possible. This was one among other cases of homicide he had to investigate and the more case files were opened, the more he struggled to come to terms with his fleeting success in bringing criminals to justice. Unfortunately, he had received little support from his boss who felt the case was almost too knotty for it to be untied.
He was still struggling to think when he heard a knock on his door. He issued an order and the door was opened. He recognized one of the two men as the benefactor of the man who was recently killed but not the older man.

‘’ Good day sir’’ he greeted.

Omoefe shook his hand in reply.

‘’ Sir, this is the detective investigating the case’’ Omoefe said.

The older man was Benjamin’s father.

‘’ Officer, well done’’

‘’ Thank you sir, you may have your seat’’

They sat down almost at the same time.

‘’ Sir, you are welcome. It is quite unfortunate that your son is dead’’

‘’ Thank you officer. I heard you are investigating the case. I appreciate your effort so far’’

‘’ Thank you sir. We have been able to establish the cause of his death which was as a result of a bullet wound. We are on the lookout for possible suspects and I can assure you that we won’t give up our search’’

‘’ I thank you very much for your concern but what I really want at this point is the body of my son. His body needs to be buried’’

Bernard kept his gaze on the bland look of Benjamin’s father and after a while dropped his face down.

‘’ Please excuse me. I need to seek permission from my superior’’

He stood up and left the Omoefe and Benjamin’s father. Silence filled the room as both men kept their eyes firmly fixed on the wall clock. Bernard came back some minutes after.

‘’ Thank you sir for exercising some patience. The body will be released as soon as you are ready to have it’’

‘’ Okay, thank you sir’’ Omoefe spoke this time.

‘’ Thank you, we will come back once we are ready’’

Benjamin’s father stood up followed by Omoefe and they left the office. Omoefe could not distinguish if he was suffering from grief or stress in the recent days. Benjamin’s father had arrived Abuja a week after the meeting in his sitting-room. Omoefe drove home immediately. He had barely sat through a full working day since the death of Benjamin. Fortunately, work was less demanding. They had a quick and short meeting once they got to the house and the man decided that the body would be transported in three days. Omoefe offered to foot the transportation bill which Benjamin’s father was grateful for. He empathized with the old man especially as he was consumed with grief. He felt sorry for Benjamin also but he also felt he had not lived long enough to learn the virtue of patience and trust.

The body was transported after three days to the village. Omoefe had to take permission from the office to follow Benjamin’s father home with the body. The grave side was besieged by men and women alike and the women cried and yelled at the unfortunate demise of a young promising man. He was laid to rest immediately amidst head shaking and voices of protestation at how unfair life was. The event did not last long and after wards the elders and Omoefe gathered for some few minutes at Benjamin father’s sitting-room.

Omoefe left the village before dawn the next morning. He was already worn out with the whole event coupled with the fact that he had received little or no help from people around. He knew for a start that his visit to the village may just hold on for as long as his conscience would allow. While he knew people could be suspicious, he knew he had bigger battles to fight hence he was reluctant to let perceived hatred to deprive him of the much needed energy.

The End
Re: Wasted (a Short Story) by LitQueen(f): 11:09am On May 20, 2017
Chai. If the boy had just exercised patience

(1) (Reply)

The Fate Of The Twins (dedicated To The Sexually Abused, The Adopted And Twins) / Premium Grammarly Accounts Available! For 1 Year. / Lets Write A Novel Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.