Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Here Are 10 Surprising Things You May Be Addicted To. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Here Are 10 Surprising Things You May Be Addicted To. (723 Views)

Woman Who Was Addicted To Drugs Shares New Photos. Checkout Her Transformation / I'm Addicted To Codeine , Weed, Tramadol And Many More / 6 Surprising Things Your Eyes Reveals About Your Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Here Are 10 Surprising Things You May Be Addicted To. by Olive64(m): 2:23am On May 19, 2017
Sometimes, when you hear the word 'addiction', your mind quickly starts conjuring images of people under the influence of hardcore drugs such as cocaine and marijuana. Funny enough, we're all addicts in our little (or big) way. There are certain things we do, places we go, things we eat or drugs we take that provide some kind of stimuli or sensation to the brain that's unlike anything you have ever felt in your entire life and your body keeps craving more and more.

The brain attaches a great deal of importance to that 'thing', seeing it as quick feel-good means and you consequently get addicted. If that's your case, then Houston, we have a problem. Addiction is a condition characterised by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences. It is the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. So with this post, we're going to identify and tackle some of our addictions. Sit back, relax and let's play a game.   After reading this, I want you to type in the comments which one (or more) of the 10 addictions below you suffer from. Simple right? Let's get on with it then, here are 10 surprising things you may be addicted to.

Surprising addiction 1: Surfing the internet

You can never really think of a more pleasant way to pass time than spending time browsing the internet. Surfing the internet is surely one of the best ways to relax on the planet. It strangely has a way of meeting our every need and altering our mood; If you're lonely there are dating sites that promise to find you the perfect partner, If you're just bored to death You can just check out funny and amazing videos on YouTube, there's Facebook, News etc. All these are available at just a swipe of your Smartphone's screen.

However, researchers in China revealed that internet addiction actually alters the brain in a similar way addiction to drugs and alcohol does. It is thought that sufferers of Internet addiction disorder (IAD) could face similar symptoms to those suffering from other addictions, including withdrawal symptoms. One study of users of internet-ready smartphones found that many are so addicted to their device they now hear “phantom vibrations” in their desperation to receive a message. Sometimes I even hear my cell phone ring in my head when in reality, my cellphone's battery is flat.

Surprising addiction 2: Falling in love

We all know that one person who goes from relationship to relationship, never seeming to spend more than five minutes alone. You may think that there is no greater feeling than having someone care and love you for no apparent reason (even if there is). Everyone wants to find love someday (I really do ), but if you find yourself jumping from one relationship to another with the inability to stay single for a month, then you're addicted to falling in love. Yep, that heart-racing, euphoric feeling of falling in love... turns out you can get hooked on it.

According to psychologist Arthur Aron, who led a study investigating love addiction, falling in love activates the same system in the brain as drug addiction, making you crave that feeling again as soon as the first flush of love starts to fade. You find yourself crushing on almost every beautiful girl you see until eventually you get crushed. If that's your story, I want to see your comment below.

Surprising addiction 3: Sugar

Everyone seems to be writing songs about 'Sugar' lately, describing ladies or lips to be "♪ Sweet like sugar, Love so sweet like sugar ♪ ", and many other weird lyrics. Well, I can't really blame them. We all crave our favourite sweet treat from time to time, but did you know that you may actually be addicted to snacks such as doughnuts and chocolate? Studies have suggested that when we eat sugary snacks, chemicals called Opioids are released in the brain, leading to intense feelings of pleasure, and it is this feeling we often crave in the absence of sugar. In fact, according to research by a University of California team, sugar is both as damaging and as addictive as both alcohol and cigarettes.

Surprising addiction 4: Tattoos and piercings

While it may sound impossible for people to get addicted to having their bodies inked and pierced from head to toe, many people who start out with the intention of getting one tattoo or piercing will feel compelled to get more, which can feel like an addiction.

While it is debatable whether this is a true addiction, it is certainly a compulsion for many, which may be partly down to the rush of feel-good Endorphins which are released during the process of getting a tattoo to help you cope with the pain.

I know you're enjoying this. Continue to my blog to read more >>>>
https://sciencehealth24.com/2020/07/health-10-surprising-things-you-may-be-addicted-to.html

Re: Here Are 10 Surprising Things You May Be Addicted To. by KateFowler7: 1:19pm On May 30, 2017
There are a lot of drug addicted people. I want to say that I am smoking marijuana too but when I am feeling to detox my body, I try to take detox kits ( I read a lot about it at https://thcdetox.biz/blog/how-to-pass-a-mouth-swab-drug-test/ ). And then I feel much more better. Drugs are very harmful and we don't need to abuse it.

(1) (Reply)

Serrapeptase Is A Powerful Enzyme For Anti Aging & Blood Clotting / MONKEYPOX VIRUS: ….what You Need To Know (photo) / Eat To Lose Weight Using Simple Healthy Nigerian Meals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.