Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? (38857 Views)

Breakdown Of Buhari’s Travels Since He Assumed Office Revealed / Buhari Travels To China With 4 Governors, 4 Senators, 9 Ministers / Buhari Travels To Accra, Addresses Ghanaians At 61st Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Nobody: 11:23am On May 20, 2017
LordAdam16:

The thing that has done lots of harm to the masses is not the reserve level, it is the lack of fiscal policies. Unfortunately, Osinbajo is the head of the economic team. He has been completely underwhelming in formulating policies. GEJ placed Okonjo in charge of the economy, Buhari did same to Osinbajo. The difference is that Okonjo performed brilliantly, while Osinbajo performance is a disgrace.

It took him 18 months to put together a FISCAL PLAN.

I'm not discounting Buhari's errors like not getting ministers early or not doing enough to stop investors from leaving in droves. But opining that Buhari's drive to increase the reserve has a major negative impact on the economy is untrue.

The FG has spent around $4.5b to reduce the rate, what is the price of goods and services in the open market? Food inflation increased this month and the intervention started in February. Two third of May is gone already. If an oil deal falls through this month and oil price reduces in a huge way next month, all of those billions of scare dollars would have been wasted. WASTED!

PMB has not cut off spending. Look at our deficit for the 2016. Look at the deficit they're aiming for this year. It's just that as expected, we are not seeing the effect of spending. Last years budget was N6trillion. They've spent all the money and we don't know where it entered. So, saying that it's only after they spend the few billions of dollars we have in our reserves that we'd feel the effect is not really a smart way to think.

What if after they spend from the reserves and another oil price major fall happens again, wouldn't the populace be amongst the people blaming Buhari that he should hace saved more? This shallow thinking is not helping anyone.

Saudi Arabia ran a huge deficit and reduced spending, whereas they have over $400b in an investment fund. Do you think they are idiots?

-Lord

I agree we have a bad fiscal policy. I agree that Buhari got his cabinet late and I also stand with you on the idea that Okonjo Iweala so far so good has perform better compare to our present economy team. Although, we had a flourishing economy then.

I beg to disagree on the idea that spending has not been cut off. Buhari cutoff spending on MDA when he reduced the number of ministry in the country to almost half, do you think this won't have effect on the masses. It may look as a good plan to curb excess expenses but was the benefit to the common man.

Your point on increased spending is based on the opinion that the budget will be financed through debt, you are surely right on this. Let me tell you something, you are praising Saudi - Arabia that they have a good investment reserve but you fail to condemned Buhari on his policy.

Do you think Financing a country Budget through debt have a good effect on the nation reserve. Our VP believes in facing the negative effect of reduced reserves in the short run, but PMB is postponing the ' evil days' that may happen soon if we fail to pay our debt.

Do you think budget deficit increases the reserve of a country in the long run? If these project that are financed through debt fail to generate revenue you will see the effect on our reserve.

Nevertheless, I respect PMB for his long goal objective of the nation, but the problem is that the current adverse effect of these policies are too much to bear. If there can be any palliative for the common man to cling on before the actualization of these objectives, the better for the nation.

LordAdam16, thank you for your time, I sincerely believe I am done on this issue.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by ACE1010: 11:26am On May 20, 2017
walexy100:
Before he travelled N390/395.
Now: N375/N380

Maybe the naira does not need him!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by praise1705(f): 11:27am On May 20, 2017
Bobby808:
which kind question be this? You nor get eyes? Please read on and see the high degree of blames in this thread.

which kind quote be dis? you nor get brain? please read on and see the sarcasm in the sentence.

given as received
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Tecno66: 11:30am On May 20, 2017
walexy100:
Simple answer, body language. When the Prof mounts the saddle, the effort they will spend to convince him on why things are not working are better spent making the things work because he is smarter than them. It is easier for them to manipulate an elderly grand pa.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Tecno66: 11:40am On May 20, 2017
Dont mind him. When professionals are making comments school cert holder too go dey chuk mouth, so waiting you expect?
kelvinreality:

After the initial injection of dollar into the economy, there was a fall in dollar at first then a increase subsequently.

As at now, there has been another increase in naira without any injection of dollar into economy. What could have been the cause of this? Another invisible injection of dollar into the economy.

If the first increaee in naira is associated with the pumping of dollar into the economy as you claim, what will be the associated cause of the current increase in naira.

Stop playing politics, investors confidence in naira recently has had positive impact on our legal tender.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by LordAdam16: 11:42am On May 20, 2017
kelvinreality:

I agree we have a bad fiscal policy. I agree that Buhari got his cabinet late and I also stand with you on the idea that Okonjo Iweala so far so good has perform better compare to our present economy team. Although, we had a flourishing economy then.

I beg to disagree on the idea that spending has not been cut off. Buhari cutoff spending on MDA when he reduced the number of ministry in the country to almost half, do you think this won't have effect on the masses. It may look as a good plan to curb excess expenses but was the benefit to the common man.

Your point on increased spending is based on the opinion that the budget will be financed through debt, you are surely right on this. Let me tell you something, you are praising Saudi - Arabia that they have a good investment reserve but you fail to condemned Buhari on his policy.

Do you think Financing a country Budget through debt have a good effect on the nation reserve. Our VP believes in facing the negative effect of reduced reserves in the short run, but PMB is postponing the ' evil days' that may happen soon if we fail to pay our debt.

Do you think budget deficit increases the reserve of a country in the long run? If these project that are financed through debt fail to generate revenue you will see the effect on our reserve.

A country in Nigeria's present financial standing needs to take debt. My only issue is that I have ZERO confidence in the people that have to utilize the borrowed money. That is the #1 reason why I oppose taking debt, because I know it would be squandered.

The nation's reserve has a very different use from money used for budget.

Let me use a business to give you an example. Apple the world's largest company by valuation has approx $100b in debts. Yet they have $200b+ in cash reserves. Do you think they are senseless?

When investors look at a country, the state of the reserves has more prominence than the size of the deficit as long as the debt-to-gdp levels is still within acceptable limits. Nigeria's DTG level is healthy courtesy of OBJ/NOI's debt clearing, good fortunes under GEJ and the fiscal discipline under GEJ as he did not borrow excessively even though there were plenty of reasons to do so.

Maybe you are not understanding me, why should I praise Saudi Arabia for having strong reserves and condemn Buhari for doing the same thing? It doesn't make sense.

What Osinbajo is doing is reckless because Nigeria is not even out of the clear yet. When GEJ was spending frivolously to maintain the naira rate, oil price was between $70 and $110 pb and the industry was stable. Now, the average is $50 pb and there are still fears that the industry make enter another downturn.

Nigeria is a resilient economy, so it makes better sense to hold our oars until the sky clears than spend scarce dollars recklessly.

As for you saying Osinbajo is facing the dangers of it in the short term... He is not facing any dangers yet, when dangers face him he would run under the pulpit. The money he is spending is down to sheer discipline of Emefiele/Buhari saving since December and decent oil earnings since February. It didn't stop him from getting more debt in Buhari's absence.

The midget is just spending left and right. Both our reserves and accumulating more debt. If he continues, both in the short term and the long term, we are royally F*CKED.

Let me make it simple for you...

GEJ: spend reserves, do not accumulate large debt, oil was stable
PMB: accumulate reserves, accumulate large debt, oil not stable
Osinbajo: spend reserves, accumulate large debt, oil not stable...

Of these three, who is the most reckless?

-Lord
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 20, 2017
Chai so una notice am too! I think say na only me dey see am so o.. Lolz, well it's good for we online marketers, more dollars more money especially when the exchange rate is high grin
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Tecno66: 11:53am On May 20, 2017
walexy100:
Reason is simple. The north wanted power by all means and didnt have an economic blue print. Tinubu, Osinbajo and co had one but their northern acomplices were scared to use it because they were afraid it would affect their northern agenda. That is why they put PYO as coordinator. Each time Buhari transfers power, PYO will now begin to apply their own blueprint.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Nobody: 11:59am On May 20, 2017
Brinxs:
@op, when he came back the last time, the Naira depreciated! #deep
yes nah. It almost touched N400
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by bejeria101(m): 12:00pm On May 20, 2017
Body odour!
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Brinxs(m): 12:08pm On May 20, 2017
walexy100:

yes nah. It almost touched N400

Yeah...tz prolly a coincidence tho.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Charly68: 12:24pm On May 20, 2017
Ask us again when Buhari returns
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by oblaak(m): 12:32pm On May 20, 2017
obyrich:
What goes around comes around. If you point a finger at your neighbour, 3 fingers will be pointing back simultaneously at you. We are watching how the blame game APC introduced into Nigerian politics will play out.
Except you don't know how to point, one can point all the fingers at once
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Water101(f): 1:03pm On May 20, 2017
walexy100:
walexy100:
walexy100:
Abegi,how can i upload youtube video to a non android phone?
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Splashme: 1:16pm On May 20, 2017
Nbote:
With body language comes great body odour... No blame dollar
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by obyrich(m): 1:20pm On May 20, 2017
oblaak:

Except you don't know how to point, one can point all the fingers at once
Do you point at people with your thumb?
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Blue3k(m): 1:53pm On May 20, 2017
Water101:
[color=#990000][/color]Abegi,how can i upload youtube video to a non android phone?

Get on YouTube app or website. Upload your content from your phone. Find where you saved video then wait for it to process.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by springtech(m): 5:32pm On May 20, 2017
True something.

I make money legally, I smile home daily.
Its called wise work. Yes I believe in hardwork. But now I believe more in smart work.
To know more check my signature.
My Target: To make 20M on or before December 2017.
So help me God.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:44pm On May 20, 2017
LordAdam16:

He injects, not just as recklessly as Osinbajo.

Osinbajo used $1.5b to push the rate from mid 500's to low 400's. He should have stopped there, but he let it get to his head and spent another $1b to push it below 400 hoping to take it to 300. Since then, the government has spent another $2b to keep the rate from going above 400 again. According to estimates, they'd spend $3b every quarter to keep it from going above 400.

Osinbajo is reckless, that's the fact.

If Osinbajo was president, we'd be lucky to have $27b in our reserves. Increasing the reserves is the smartest thing Buhari has done since 2015.

The oil industry is VERY fickle. 3 weeks ago, analysts were saying oil would touch $70 pb in the second half of this year. This week, analysts were saying, it would be lucky to touch $60 pb. Right now, everyone is holding their breath about the May 29 deal because no one knows what'd happen. No one knows even if compliance would be top notch like in previous months if a deal is reached. Any quirk in the industry exposes our economy to huge shocks, and reckless spending would be punished severely.

The problem is that if Osinbajo spends and it turns out well like his first stint, he is celebrated, but if oil price drops and the reduced rate of accumulating reserves plus reckless spending leads to us being exposed, you guys would crucify Buhari.

It is unfair.

-Lord
While your comment makes sense economically speaking, it lacks sense politically speaking as there is no way Osibanjo would pump dollars without Buhari knowledge or approval. Osi is not doing anything behind his back nor trying to get clout
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by oblaak(m): 6:47pm On May 20, 2017
obyrich:
Do you point at people with your thumb?
You need to go to school of 'pointing fingers'.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by akaahs(m): 7:23pm On May 20, 2017
Investors re not mumu like most nigerians, they used ur past/track record to predict d future economic.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by effido666: 7:52pm On May 20, 2017
walexy100:
Before he travelled N390/395. Now: N375/N380
he just av bad luck
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by obyrich(m): 8:36pm On May 20, 2017
oblaak:

OK Sir. I hope it won't entail joining APC?
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by LordAdam16: 9:47pm On May 20, 2017
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

While your comment makes sense economically speaking, it lacks sense politically speaking as there is no way Osibanjo would pump dollars without Buhari knowledge or approval. Osi is not doing anything behind his back nor trying to get clout

So, in your mind, Osinbajo would ask Buhari how much dollars needed to pumped and would only pump the amount of dollars Buhari allows him to pump.

I'm not saying Osinbajo does anything without Buhari's knowledge or approval. I'm saying, when he gets the go-ahead, he spends recklessly. Note the difference.

And your opinion about Osi not trying to get clout is out of myopia. Really? So, Osi just visited the MMIA the last time Buhari left and sacked all the Directors of an Aviation agency simply for the fun of it? Or he was working from dawn to dusk then to prove his competence to Buhari?

All of these men are ambitious. And there's nothing wrong in that. I'm simply livid at the way they're going about it. Demonizing Buhari to praise Osinbajo. That is all shades of wrong.

-Lord
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by obyrich(m): 10:06pm On May 20, 2017
oblaak:

Ok Sir. All Pointers' Club (APC) here I come. grin
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Olifiz(m): 1:01am On May 21, 2017
Buharis wife Aisha runs the biggest bureau de change in Nigeria. So dollar must be very high n naira low else money no go enter.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Nobody: 1:13am On May 21, 2017
Everyone know I am not a fan of Buhari but this is mere coincidence

Both times when he travelled oil prices rose due to activities outside the shores of Nigeria

1st time was due to OPEC agreement on supply cut

Second is due to trump had a bad week which affected the price of dollar. When dollar falls oil rises, when oil rises naira appreciates
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by oblaak(m): 12:54pm On May 21, 2017
obyrich:
Ok Sir. All Pointers' Club (APC) here I come. grin
Count me out as e don enter APC abeg

Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by Bobby808: 1:46pm On May 21, 2017
praise1705:

which kind quote be dis? you nor get brain? please read on and see the sarcasm in the sentence.

given as received
He be like say this one na human photocopying machine.
Re: Why Does Naira Appreciate Whenever Buhari Travels? by snipesdam(m): 1:46pm On May 21, 2017
walexy100:

Can't you see he is bad luck to the country?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okoi Obono-Obla's Nephew Killed In A Cult War In Cross River (Photos) / Buhari Reduces Federal Ministries To 25 / Abdullah Mohammed Flaunts His Rolls-Royce & Wristwatch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.