Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Don't Be Decieved Four Ways To Identify "Real" Ofada Rice - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Don't Be Decieved Four Ways To Identify "Real" Ofada Rice (1215 Views)

Ogun To Start Sale Of Mass Ofada Rice (Photos) / Ofada Rice Seed For Sale!! / Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don't Be Decieved Four Ways To Identify "Real" Ofada Rice by adetunjiyomi(m): 11:24am On May 20, 2017
Ofada rice is a heritage rice variety, which is exclusively grown in south-west Nigeria (according to Wikipedia). Its name originated from the town “Ofada” in Ogun state. However, other states within the south-west also grow this variety. In Ekiti state, it called “Igbemo” also named after the the town where it is mostly found.

Oryza glaberrima is a rice variety that originates from Africa and it forms the major genetic make-up of Ofada or Igbemo rice.

With that said, let us talk about how to identify “real” ofada when you are in the market shopping for your heritage rice. Oh! Yes – with professor John Bull’s voice – I said "heritage" rice. Common its time to stop referring to Nigerian made products as local. We are a global country, with global standard.

In any case, we (as in you and I) may also refer to it has “Designer Rice”. And now, straight to the business…

How to Identify you “Ofada rice” in the market:

1. The stripes

Ofada rice is characterized by its brownish stripes. The stripes are a part of its genetic makeup and a result of semi-polishing. You should, however note that, not all the grains will have the brownish stripes. So when you notice one or two grains not having these stripes, look out for the next clue.

2. Grain size

Speaking of grain size, I do not mean you should go to the market with a measuring tape. Ofada rice grains are usually bigger and sometimes longer than the usual rice grains. For those planted in Igbemo Ekiti, they are larger in diameter and longer in length than most rice grains.
A note of warning: grain sizes can be a little bit tricky, in the sense that, there are some long grain heritage rice that are not Ofada, (for example: Supee) and there are some short and “fat” grains that looks like Ofada (Grade 4, gboko). Try as much as possible to confirm what you are buying with other clues.

3. Cooking Experience:

This one thing “ofada” rice is known for. After cook, it looks more like a brown and white design, nature’s beauty that you cannot miss. Some processors do however; over clean the rice such that it loses that beauty. You know what; just go for the ones with the brown and white stripes. Other cooking experience you should expect is the robustness of the grain. Also, observe its low starch content.

4. Aromatic smell:

Ofada has a recognizable odour, which is due to processing. Some processors are now beginning to remove the odour, while others still manage to keep it. However, in most cases ofada rice will have aromatic odour, which makes it standout from all other rice.
You can recognize your Designer rice anywhere in the market through these basic ways listed above.

As a wrap-up, it is better safe than sorry. Therefore, purchase you “Designer rice” (I mean Ofada rice) from a reputable source. There are many ‘wanna bees’ out there. Do not fall a victim. Be a victor and make the right choice.

For more information on your ofada rice; you can call me on - 08107000957

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Be Decieved Four Ways To Identify "Real" Ofada Rice by maxti: 11:49am On May 20, 2017
I concur!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hatch Your Eggs With Incubator In Kaduna / Move Your Goods Cheaply And Securely Across Nigeria With Haulage Plus / The Moment We Feed Our Pigs (Video/Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.