Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor (1446 Views)

Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Limiting Probe To Jonathan Cannot Be Justified, Falana Tells Buhari / N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by saintiyke(m): 6:56am On Jan 14, 2010
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday replied the opposition who staged a rally in Abuja on Tuesday, demanding, among others, that Vice President Goodluck Jonathan be made acting president pending President Umaru Yar’Adua’s return.

PDP National Chairman, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor, said in Abuja that Jonathan has "proved that he is good enough to be acting president" but that would not happen because the party is praying and believing that Yar’Adua will soon recover and return to his job.

He berated Prof Wole Soyinka and others who staged the Abuja rally, demanding that urgent action be taken to fill the "power vacuum" occasioned by Yar’Adua’s absence. Ogbulafor said PDP is worried about "politicians who do not know when to draw the line between mere politicking and the larger national interest".

Ogbulafor said: "The opposition cannot set an agenda for us. And, second, the President left here and I don’t think when he left here he intended that he will not return to the country by now. You are a human being. You can fall sick anytime ,

"All we have to do is to pray for the sick man to quickly recover".

On why Yar’Adua should address Nigerians through the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), Ogbulafor said: "Whether the President addressed us in Hausa or whichever language, Hausa language is a Nigerian language. If you can speak Igbo and address us in Igbo, why not?"

On why the supplementary appropriation bill was taken to Jeddah for the President’s signature since he claimed that there is no power vacuum, Ogbulafor said: "On the supplementary budget, since the President was strong enough to sign the budget it is okay to send it to him wherever he is to sign it. What we know is that the budget has been signed."

Accusing some politicians of exaggerating the President’s health condition, Ogbulafor said:

"The President’s interview on the BBC yesterday (Tuesday) has finally put the lie to the malicious, baseless and devious rumours orchestrated by those who do not wish Nigeria well.

"It is in the light of this that we find yesterday’s (Tuesday’s) road show by some politicians and some members of the civil society unnecessary, shameful, and completely out of tune with the national mood. It is clearly an insensitive display of lack of respect for our institutions, our leaders and a debasement of our common humanity."

He commended members of the National Assembly for their "unrelenting crucial roles", adding that what the nation demands from every Nigerian is "unmitigated patriotism, maturity and restraint".
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by saintiyke(m): 6:58am On Jan 14, 2010
who makes law in this country? PDP or the judiciary? grin
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Nobody: 7:06am On Jan 14, 2010
comedy grin
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by sammyzacks(m): 7:22am On Jan 14, 2010
All these foolish politicians. We are watching them. Anything they say or do shall be used against them in the future.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 7:27am On Jan 14, 2010
a) The VP came in on the PDP ticket, so there is no need making him out to be some victim now

b) The same man came in by way of the 2007 election that most claim was a sham, so, again, there is no need to make him out as some victim in this case

c) The people who went out yesterday demanding the VP be made the president are themselves a problem, in my opinion. I thought what we wanted was complete change. Why the sudden WE ONLY WANT TO MAKE SURE THERE IS AT LEAST A PRESIDENT switch? I thought we were trying to SAVE Nigeria?
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Abagworo(m): 8:24am On Jan 14, 2010
Some of our politicians are ridiculous.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Jaybee2412(m): 8:33am On Jan 14, 2010
I am not worried. Its just a matter of time when PDP will suffer an implosion and die suddenly by internal bleeding. The death of the adventurous monkey will come from its foolishness. They claim that there is a difference between the 'VP acting for the president' and the 'VP as Acting President'
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by trueword: 8:51am On Jan 14, 2010
it's becoming clearer that their seems to be a northern agenda here. I mean why else would PDP not allow someone from their own party to take over as president. If it is truly a northern agenda, then we truly know that it is the northerners that helping to prevent unity and true democracy in nigeria.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by MrCrackles(m): 8:54am On Jan 14, 2010
trueword:

it's becoming clearer that their seems to be a northern agenda here. I mean why else would PDP not allow someone from their own party to take over as president. If it is truly a northern agenda, then we truly know that it is the northerners that helping to prevent unity and true democracy in nigeria.

To the highlighted above. . .
Not till virtually all of the frontline politicians and emerging cabals in the country are bombed into extinction. . . . Otherwise, same ol story my friend. . .
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

a) The VP came in on the PDP ticket, so there is no need making him out to be some victim now

b) The same man came in by way of the 2007 election that most claim was a sham, so, again, there is no need to make him out as some victim in this case

c) The people who went out yesterday demanding the VP be made the president are themselves a problem, in my opinion. I thought what we wanted was complete change. Why the sudden WE ONLY WANT TO MAKE SURE THERE IS AT LEAST A PRESIDENT switch? I thought we were trying to SAVE Nigeria?

That is a starting point! What kind of change or 'save' will we be talking about if the Constitution cannot be followed. The country is at a stand still because the president is MIA. That is soooo wrong! I don't think the poeple who are demanding for the VP to be made the acting president did anything wrong. That is afterall the right thing to do!
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Ibime(m): 9:14am On Jan 14, 2010
saintiyke:

Ogbulafor said: "The opposition cannot set an agenda for us.

Ogbulafor should be reminded that PDP constitution is not Nigerias constitution.

We couldnt give a fu ck less about whatever arrangement holds in PDP.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by blacksta(m): 9:32am On Jan 14, 2010
Personally i dont have any sympathy for Jonathan or Yar adua - My main focus still remains to remove all hands of evil off Nigeria. The fact still remains

Jonathan = Yaradua = PDP = fraudulent election = evil.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 3:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
Jaybee2412:

I am not worried. Its just a matter of time when PDP will suffer an implosion and die suddenly by internal bleeding. The death of the adventurous monkey will come from its foolishness. They claim that there is a difference between the 'VP acting for the president' and the 'VP as Acting President'

The agenda of the people making these suggestions sounds more like a presidential campaign for Jonathan, another one of those us vs THEM, SOUTH VS NORTH CRAPOLA, and nothing more.

Ujujoan:

That is a starting point! What kind of change or 'save' will we be talking about if the Constitution cannot be followed. The country is at a stand still because the president is MIA. That is soooo wrong! I don't think the poeple who are demanding for the VP to be made the acting president did anything wrong. That is afterall the right thing to do!

That is not a STARTING POINT. The Starting point was dealing with a PRESIDENT who we knew could not function in the first place. To Suddenly make GETTING his partner, yet another possibly NON-FUNCTIONING man in as PRESIDENT, is just another blow to our intelligence as a people. How much longer around this circle of torture, we conveniently create for ourselves, are we gonna go?

The VP came in on the same ticket as the President. Aandooka came in as a result of this same ticket. The present administration INCLUDES the VP. He is not some innocent BLOB caught in the middle of things. He is ONE OF THEM; One of those who have successfully held the country hostage for the past 2 and half years. When you consider the record of the two men( President and VP), there is really no evidence to show them any different in anyway( except tribe which seems to be why some have chosen to endear themselves to him). If all we are doing is wanting a president just because then we should stop claiming it is to SAVE NIGERIA.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Frank101: 3:13pm On Jan 14, 2010
thunder fire Ogbulafor
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
You notice how Ogbulafor cunningly avoided the question of why Yar'adua spoke through BBC instead of local media by replying that the language in which the president spoke was irrelevant. Personally, i believe the whole interview with the BBC was a hoax. We need video evidence to show Mr President is alive and kicking
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by safeact(m): 4:24pm On Jan 14, 2010
Thunder every member of d FEC,SENATORS,REPS MEMBERS,PDP CAUCUS AND NORTHEN CAUCUS MEMBERS, JUDICIARY, OBJ AND ALL WHO HOLDS THEIR SELFISH INTEREST B4 D NATIONAL INTEREST. Fire pursue them until they free us. Fire.!.fire! fire! fire! burn them all.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by jimmysho(m): 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
i said it. pdp no go gree sam sam. so that equation no go senge (change)
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by trueword: 9:10pm On Jan 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The agenda of the people making these suggestions sounds more like a presidential campaign for Jonathan, another one of those us vs THEM, SOUTH VS NORTH CRAPOLA, and nothing more.

That is not a STARTING POINT. The Starting point was dealing with a PRESIDENT who we knew could not function in the first place. To Suddenly make GETTING his partner, yet another possibly NON-FUNCTIONING man in as PRESIDENT, is just another blow to our intelligence as a people. How much longer around this circle of torture, we conveniently create for ourselves, are we gonna go?

The VP came in on the same ticket as the President. Aandooka came in as a result of this same ticket. The present administration INCLUDES the VP. He is not some innocent BLOB caught in the middle of things. He is ONE OF THEM; One of those who have successfully held the country hostage for the past 2 and half years. When you consider the record of the two men( President and VP), there is really no evidence to show them any different in anyway( except tribe which seems to be why some have chosen to endear themselves to him). If all we are doing is wanting a president just because then we should stop claiming it is to SAVE NIGERIA.

Are you then suggesting that the constitution be ignored and we should just use force to get the government totally out of the hands of the cabals?
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by sola310: 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2010
it is unfortunate that in this great country of ours personal interests come first before national interests but more unfortunate is the fact that some ignorant but greedy few dictate the fate of the millions of Nigeria in their own favour. IT IS UNFAIR
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by sola310: 9:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
it is unfortunate that in this great country of ours personal interests come first before national interests but more unfortunate is the fact that some ignorant but greedy few dictate the fate of the millions of Nigeria in their own favour. IT IS UNFAIR
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by chidichris(m): 9:40pm On Jan 14, 2010
charity they say begins at home but the reverse is always the case in nigeria.
ogbulafor is a well known failure in abia state but because of of obasanjocracy, such fools have turned out to be kingmakers in nigeria.
simple refference to our national constitution and no one is interested.
we are all waiting for yar adua.
i have said it times without numbers, yar adua will remain our president even if he is dead.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by udezue(m): 9:41pm On Jan 14, 2010
Ogbulafo is an slowpoke.

There is no legit reason why Jonathan should not have been sworn in already. BTW Yaradua should address the nation in English not Hausa. Are we Hausa ppl?
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by MrCrackles(m): 9:45pm On Jan 14, 2010
udezue:

Ogbulafo is an slowpoke.

There is no legit reason why Jonathan should not have been sworn in already. BTW Yaradua should address the nation in English not Hausa. Are we Hausa ppl?
The frying pan headed dude is indeed an slowpoke. . . .
Again, Ogbulafor is a prime example of the idio.ts Nigeria needs to get rid off, if the nation's fortunes are to be turned around for good. . . .
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
trueword:

Are you then suggesting that the constitution be ignored and we should just use force to get the government totally out of the hands of the cabals?

OH! Wait!!! You uphold the constitution only if you SUPPORT the VP becoming President at this time? Give me a break dude!!!  The constitution DOES NOT mandate that the VP be made president when the sitting president is removed. Both can be removed and a temp put in place so we get a new election in 3 months, rather than having to wait till 2011, another possibly miserable year with the current bunch.

What I see is an administration that has cleverly worked over the last couple of years to hold a country hostage. . . .  I don't see people of different tribes here or a northerner and a southerner.  . . .  I see a union, a team, a group of individuals that I believe are collectively the problem with the country and to save the country, we ought to remove them all. The VP is not some INNOCENT BYSTANDER in all this. He is an accomplist; He was involved in all the coverups and the deception. If we are truly done with it all, we ought to call for resignation of both men so we can actually SAVE Nigeria from all this. I don't understand why we suddenly want to pretend the one is just an innocent person caught and held hostage by some CABAL when he has from beginning winned and dined with them.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On Jan 14, 2010
udezue:

Ogbulafo is an slowpoke.

Actually, there is. That your president is still considered president, he cannot be sworn in. But if we tow the lines of incompetency, why not make sure both guys go? This is not some leadership experiment here that we need. The two have been at the helm of affairs of the country for over 2 and half years with nothing to show for it. And the VP, since he is just spare tire in order to keep HIS job, can be booted out if we are into booting folks out. About time we get us some fresh meat and fresh team up there.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
^^^^^ So you are suggesting we pack their bags and throw them out of aso rock undecided

While that is a wonderful thought, I doubt if it's possible. Such giants steps are taken only in an utopian world. For now, I think we can make do with doing what is basically right, like letting Johnatan take over.

The VP can be sworn-in as acting president if the president is physicaly and mentally unable to take act. Why do you think they are desperately trying to hide that the President is Brain-damaged

Maybe that is not enough, but I think 'SAVE NIGERIA' is all about upholding the constitution and like I said earlier, that is astarting point!
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 11:19pm On Jan 14, 2010
Ujujoan:

^^^^^ So you are suggesting we pack their bags and throw them out of aso rock undecided

While that is a wonderful thought, I doubt if it's possible. Such giants steps are taken only in an utopian world. For now, I think we can make do with doing what is basically right, like letting Johnatan take over.

So, declaring Yar adua incompetent is not in itself a giant step for Nigeria?   

Ujujoan:

The VP can be sworn-in as acting president if the president is physicaly and mentally unable to take act. Why do you think they are desperately trying to hide that the President is Brain-damaged

The president is brain damaged? Where did you get that from? The daily barrage of rumours Nigerian are fed of what is going on? Do you know that part of Dora Akunyili’s job as minister of information is to inform the Nigerian people at all steps of what is going on with their government and how and why of things? I just felt to add that bit because I see people do not seem to be complaining much that the truth is purposely being hidden from then at all levels by people that ought to work to reveal these things.
Back to the main, there is no proof that the man is brain dead, but you can prove incompetence and you can run with that. I have said it over and over.  You do run into problem when you focus just on the president since his CABAL is made up of people in his cabinet. You go against them all and you probably have a better chance of them offering up the top two just to save themselves.

Ujujoan:

Maybe that is not enough, but I think 'SAVE NIGERIA' is all about upholding the constitution and like I said earlier, that is astarting point!

PishPosh!!! Calling for resignation of the VP as well is Upholding the same constitution. Why the half saves when we can, for the first time in our history, go for a full save ? These two men have their hands deep in the problem we have in the country today. Why offer up Yar adua as if he came in and has been there alone? How can you SAVE NIGERIA when you are still getting the same old? Yes, he is the same old because he came in the same ticket as the old, sat by enjoying his pay and the benefits of the job while life in the country deteriorated, and we have no proof or call from him that he will run the country any differently. How can you SAVE NIGERIA by giving Nigeria the same it has gotten over the last 2 years, only in semi new skin?
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by sjeezy8: 11:24pm On Jan 14, 2010
I think its high time the south stop blaming the north for everything. Those in the SS are asking Goodluck not to step up as president aswell.

So dont blame the north for the souths foolish and short sightedness.
Country full of clowns, always placing blame elsewhere but their own people
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by SapeleGuy: 11:36pm On Jan 14, 2010
Ujujoan:

Great post.

I have asked these people to give one example globally where a VP just says 'okay I am the president' without a mandate. I am still waiting.
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by xterra2(m): 11:41pm On Jan 14, 2010
So now those fucker PDP(poverty development party) are @ it again,
Who the Bleep is he
is he the judicairy what
Anyway,This useless man ought to have been taught a lesson by now,
And in 2011,i forsee a big loss to PDP why?because of internal crisis
The crisis in PDP is killing them gradually and also killing nigerians,faster lol!!! grin grin
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by trueword: 11:54pm On Jan 14, 2010
Kobojunkie:

OH! Wait!!! You uphold the constitution only if you SUPPORT the VP becoming President at this time? Give me a break dude!!! The constitution DOES NOT mandate that the VP be made president when the sitting president is removed. Both can be removed and a temp put in place so we get a new election in 3 months, rather than having to wait till 2011, another possibly miserable year with the current bunch.

What I see is an administration that has cleverly worked over the last couple of years to hold a country hostage. . . . I don't see people of different tribes here or a northerner and a southerner. . . . I see a union, a team, a group of individuals that I believe are collectively the problem with the country and to save the country, we ought to remove them all. The VP is not some INNOCENT BYSTANDER in all this. He is an accomplist; He was involved in all the coverups and the deception. If we are truly done with it all, we ought to call for resignation of both men so we can actually SAVE Nigeria from all this. I don't understand why we suddenly want to pretend the one is just an innocent person caught and held hostage by some CABAL when he has from beginning winned and dined with them.

Oh. I wasn't aware of this. If that is the case then that is the best option. I was only advocating to put Jonathan in because I thought that was practically our only option besides overthrowing the government. I think what you said was mentioned somewhere before, but I don't think anyone has been vigorously trying to go in the direction you want to go in. Would the Pres. and VP be removed by the court ? Most likely if the decision of removing the Pres. and VP is up to courts or national assembly then that will face an even tougher opposition from PDP and their supporters. Do you know of a way to get both the VP and Pres. thrown out ?
Re: Why Jonathan Cannot Be Acting President, By Ogbulafor by Kobojunkie: 12:20am On Jan 15, 2010
This is what the constitution says on this matter

http://www.nigeria-law.org/ConstitutionOfTheFederalRepublicOfNigeria.htm

[size=13pt]143. (1) The President or Vice-President may be removed from office in accordance with the provisions of this section.

(2) Whenever a notice of any allegation in writing signed by not less than one-third of the members of the National Assembly:-

(a) is presented to the President of the Senate;

(b) stating that the holder of the office of President or Vice-President is guilty of gross misconduct in the performance of the functions of his office, detailed particulars of which shall be specified,

the President of the Senate shall within seven days of the receipt of the notice cause a copy thereof to be served on the holder of the office and on each member of the National Assembly, and shall also cause any statement made in reply to the allegation by the holder of the office to be served on each member of the National Assembly.

(3) Within fourteen days of the presentation of the notice to the President of the Senate (whether or not any statement was made by the holder of the office in reply to the allegation contained in the notice) each House of the National Assembly shall resolve by motion without any debate whether or not the allegation shall be investigated.

(4) A motion of the National Assembly that the allegation be investigated shall not be declared as having been passed, unless it is supported by the votes of not less than two-thirds majority of all the members of each House of the National Assembly.

(5) Within seven days of the passing of a motion under the foregoing provisions, the Chief Justice of Nigeria shall at the request of the President of the Senate appoint a Panel of seven persons who in his opinion are of unquestionable integrity, not being members of any public service, legislative house or political party, to investigate the allegation as provide in this section.

(6) The holder of an office whose conduct is being investigated under this section shall have the right to defend himself in person and be represented before the Panel by legal practitioners of his own choice.

(7) A Panel appointed under this section shall -

(a) have such powers and exercise its functions in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed by the National Assembly; and

(b) within three months of its appointment report its findings to each House of the National Assembly.

(cool Where the Panel reports to each House of the National Assembly that the allegation has not been proved, no further proceedings shall be taken in respect of the matter.

(9) Where the report of the Panel is that the allegation against the holder of the office has been proved, then within fourteen days of the receipt of the report at the House the National Assembly shall consider the report, and if by a resolution of each House of the National Assembly supported by not less than two-thirds majority of all its members, the report of the Panel is adopted, then the holder of the office shall stand removed from office as from the date of the adoption of the report.

(10) No proceedings or determination of the Panel or of the National Assembly or any matter relating thereto shall be entertained or questioned in any court.

(11) In this section -

"gross misconduct" means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion of the National Assembly to gross misconduct.[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians March To Demand Ailing Leader's Appearance / Nigeria New Ministers - Jonathan Warns - Perform Or Get Out, / Workers Protest As Alpha Beta Moves Into Lagos Councils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.