Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,122 members, 7,957,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. (1311 Views)

Emeka Nelson Invents Machine That Transforms Nylon To Petrol, Obiano Gives N250k / Picture Of Nelson Mandela With His GCFR Medal In 1990. / Cambridge Analytica Parent Company Manipulated Nigeria 2007 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by hensben(m): 12:31am On May 21, 2017
MANDELA TO NIGERIA...

“YOU know I am not very happy with Nigeria. I have made that very clear on many occasions. Yes, Nigeria stood by us more than any nation, but you let yourselves down, and Africa and the black race very badly. Your leaders have no respect for their people. They believe that their personal interests are the interests of the people. They take people’s resources and turn it into personal wealth. There is a level of poverty in Nigeria that should be unacceptable. I cannot understand why Nigerians are not more angry than they are.

“What do young Nigerians think about your leaders and their country and Africa? Do you teach them history? Do you have lessons on how your past leaders stood by us and gave us large amounts of money? You know I hear from Angolans and Mozambicans and Zimbabweans how your people opened their hearts and their homes to them. I was in prison then, but we know how your leaders punished western companies who supported Apartheid.

“What about the corruption and the crimes? Your elections are like wars. Now we hear that you cannot be president in Nigeria unless you are Muslim or Christian. Some people tell me your country may break up. Please don’t let it happen.
“Let me tell you what I think you need to do. You should encourage leaders to emerge who will not confuse public office with sources of making personal wealth. Corrupt people do not make good leaders. Then you have to spend a lot of your resources for education.

“Educate children of the poor, so that they can get out of poverty. Poverty does not breed confidence. Only confident people can bring changes. Poor, uneducated people can also bring change, but it will be hijacked by the educated and the wealthy...give young Nigerians good education. Teach them the value of hard work and sacrifice, and discourage them from crimes which are destroying your image as a good people.”

(Excerpts taken from a 2007 interview with Mandela conducted by Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed).

1 Like

Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by Nobody: 12:42am On May 21, 2017
Educate children of the poor, so that they can get out of poverty. Poverty does not breed confidence. Only confident people can bring changes. Poor, uneducated people can also bring change, but it will be hijacked by the educated and the wealthy...give young Nigerians good education. Teach them the value of hard work and sacrifice, and discourage them from crimes which are destroying your image as a good people.

If we elect the same corrupt politicians every time, that’s a very clear message that we don’t want a change. – Sukant Ratnakar

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by Arsenalholic1: 4:44am On May 21, 2017
hensben:
MANDELA TO NIGERIA...

“YOU know I am not very happy with Nigeria. I have made that very clear on many occasions. Yes, Nigeria stood by us more than any nation, but you let yourselves down, and Africa and the black race very badly. Your leaders have no respect for their people. They believe that their personal interests are the interests of the people. They take people’s resources and turn it into personal wealth. There is a level of poverty in Nigeria that should be unacceptable. I cannot understand why Nigerians are not more angry than they are

“What do young Nigerians think about your leaders and their country and Africa? Do you teach them history? Do you have lessons on how your past leaders stood by us and gave us large amounts of money? You know I hear from Angolans and Mozambicans and Zimbabweans how your people opened their hearts and their homes to them. I was in prison then, but we know how your leaders punished western companies who supported Apartheid.

(Excerpts taken from a 2007 interview with Mandela conducted by Dr Hakeem Baba-Ahmed).
This interview was about 10 years ago. But it still turns out to be relevant because things are still the same.

Things have gotten even worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people flood this thread and ignore completely the core message here, resorting instead to chest beating of how they helped South Africa who have become "ungrateful" (not minding the fact that we've numerous criminals there destroying their country).

Many of our youths are littered all over various African, Asian and European countries scamming the shit out of people and bringing nothing but shame and hatred for Nigerians.

Why are youths trooping out of Naija, is it not because of this same useless leaders being talked about here?

These countries we run to, who developed them?

Why don't we for once in a all-or-nothing stance hold these leaders responsible and do something about it?

There was a revolution in Ghana -- it was instigated by youths.

There was a revolution in America -- also instigated by youths.

Most of the youths here simply do not realize their power.

Like grandpa Mandela said: We are not angry enough. And the ones who are really angry channel their anger to the wrong things.
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by tammie24: 6:42am On May 21, 2017
Raw truth
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by tollyboy5(m): 7:58am On May 21, 2017
Arsenalholic1:
This interview was about 10 years ago. But it still turns out to be relevant because things are still the same.

Things have gotten even worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people flood this thread and ignore completely the core message here, resorting instead to chest beating of how they helped South Africa who have become "ungrateful" (not minding the fact that we've numerous criminals there destroying their country).

Many of our youths are littered all over various African, Asian and European countries scamming the shit out of people and bringing nothing but shame and hatred for Nigerians.

Why are youths trooping out of Naija, is it not because of this same useless leaders being talked about here?

These countries we run to, who developed them?

Why don't we for once in a all-or-nothing stance hold these leaders responsible and do something about it?

There was a revolution in Ghana -- it was instigated by youths.

There was a revolution in America -- also instigated by youths.

Most of the youths here simply do not realize their power.

Like grandpa Mandela said: We are not angry enough. And the ones who are really angry channel their anger to the wrong things.
Nigeria youth are part of those functionless youth in the world I've been trying to beg my fellow youth to try register for voters card and they look at me as if Ive been paid to convince them
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by morbeta(m): 10:32am On May 21, 2017
Christ wept for this nation even before creation.
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by juman(m): 11:44am On May 21, 2017
One nigeria is a failure.
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by Arsenalholic1: 1:28pm On May 21, 2017
tollyboy5:

Nigeria youth are part of those functionless youth in the world I've been trying to beg my fellow youth to try register for voters card and they look at me as if Ive been paid to convince them
To be fair, a lot of youths have given up hope in this country. So I really wouldn't blame anyone for not registering. Because in the end even if you vote massively for someone, the election will still be rigged to favor another ineffectual leader.

We've a loooonggg way to go.
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by tollyboy5(m): 1:47pm On May 21, 2017
Arsenalholic1:
To be fair, a lot of youths have given up hope in this country. So I really wouldn't blame anyone for not registering. Because in the end even if you vote massively for someone, the election will still be rigged to favor another ineffectual leader.

We've a loooonggg way to go.
no its ignorance we let them contest! we should be the one contesting we keep on serving them as our area father demi Gods instead of kicking their ass out they pay us to vote and we sell our vote for bad government they discovered our ignorance and used it against us. they would appear in church and mosque like saint to decieve people. who ask the youth not to join political parties who ask them not to demand for inclusion in government nobody. those that complain everyday would not see reasons go to register for voters card we remain a failure when we continue shifting blame instead of taking the bull by horn I've decided to let go those that has lost hope and move with those that still have hope
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by Victornezzar: 1:55pm On May 21, 2017
So on point
God gave us all d minerals some nations would be jealous of.....nd he could av completed it by giving us good leaders as well
Sumtymz i do ask myself weda all dis politicians re ashamed of dem selves
Re: Nelson Mandela To Nigeria- 2007. by bennyann: 2:57pm On May 21, 2017
I guess we need a selfless leader. A leader who has the love of the people and the country at heart.

(1) (Reply)

Only Respect PMB Is Receiving Now Is UK Nurses Giving Him Injection - Twitter Us / Fashola Is Now A Minister Of Light And Not Darkness. / Obiano Is Favourable Disposed To Transform Adazi-nnukwu — Umeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.