Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,268 members, 7,867,709 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Did God Support Genocide? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Support Genocide? (393 Views)

Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / Why Did God Leave Me With Sexual Desires He Knows I Can't Control. / Did God Command Genocide In The Bible ? This Will Shock You ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Support Genocide? by Nobody: 9:32am On May 21, 2017
Hello brethren....i got converted to christianity not too long ago.
I was given a bible by one of my christian friend and sooner than later i started reading it.
Starting from the old testament,i have been reading the book of first Samuel and i came across a certain passage where God commanded Saul to wipe out the Amelikites-men,women,children and animals because the Amelikites attacked the Isrealites at the time when Moses was leading them to the promised land.
Please note that the attack on the Isrealites happened in the time Moses...which is approximately 800 years before Saul's generation.
My question is why did God want to wipe out the Amelikites for the sins of their ancestors?...is it fair for a man to suffer for the sin of his forefathers?
God commanded Saul to kill all Amelikites....men-old or young,children,women...even the pregnant ones and their unborn babies.....everybody should be slaughtered according to God.....my brethren this is first degree genocide!
Remember the Amelikites had nothing to do with attacking the isrealites....it was their ancestors that did it.
The Amelikites may not know God or could be worshipping idols but wiping their entire population...men,women,children,unborn babies even animals....is it fair?
Is it not genocide?

Why would God support genocide?

Why would God seek to wipe out an entire population because of the sin of the ancestors?

If God allows genocide....then christianity is no better than Islam.
I'm just a new born christian who started reading bible lately and there are so many things i dont understand.....i'm very curious
Brethren,bible scholars,clerics
I need answers...
The mods should shoud push this to front page please.
Re: Why Did God Support Genocide? by bkool7(m): 9:33am On May 21, 2017
Regarding the command to eradicate entire
nations, I believe that God had to because the
influence of these nations left unchecked would
ultimately lead to the death of many more
innocent people. It’s helpful to keep in mind that
nations like the Canaanites engaged in human
sacrifice, even offering their children to devil
gods. (See Deuteronomy 12:31.) Additionally, not
only did God use Israel’s might to punish evil
nations like these, He used the Babylonian,
Assyrian, and Egyptian kings to punish Israel.
God will often use human forces to mete out His
discipline.
It’s an imperfect illustration, but often infected
cattle or poultry are destroyed for the purpose of
stopping an epidemic and saving vastly more
livestock. Likewise, left unchecked, these nations
would have plagued the world with such
depravity that they simply were not redeemable.
So as much as it broke the heart of God, the
order was given to eliminate these infected
nations.
The Consequences of Failure
The Amalekites were a source of constant woe to
Israel. Shortly after the Israelites left Egypt, the
Amalekites attacked the weary people,
slaughtering the weak and elderly ( Deuteronomy
25:18). Even the Babylonians had a bad opinion
of them, calling them “Khabbati,” or “plunderers.”
The Amalekites and Caananites, among other
nations, practiced child burning, torture as
public entertainment, and sexual immorality as
sport.
The Israelites later avenged the attack and
defeated the Amalekites, but failed to completely
eradicate the nation. Israel was then plagued with
continuous Amalekite raids (Exodus 17; 1 Samuel
15:2; Numbers 14:45). We can safely assume that
God knew Amalekite decedents would always bear
rage against His people. In the book of Esther,
Haman the son of the Agagite, who was an
Amalekite king, sought to exterminate all the Jews.
Even today, the name Amalek is a symbol for
hatred against Jews. How different things might be
had Israel obeyed God to the letter?
You should also remember the story of the
Ninevites. God was warning them through Jonah
to change their ways or be utterly destroyed, and
they repented. God deals far more justly and
mercifully than most people are willing to admit.
No Easy Answers
This is a very difficult issue. Honestly, I don’t
always understand God because I’m not God. But
at the same time, I trust God that He is just and
that He is love. We serve a sovereign and eternal
God who knows better than we do, and though we
now look at Him through a glass darkly, one day
will come when we will have clear answers.
Remember that God’s ways are higher than our
ways and His thoughts are higher than our
thoughts ( Isaiah 55:9; Romans 11:33–36). We
have to be willing to trust God and have faith in
Him even when we do not understand.
Often, questions like these aren’t honest. Rather
than seeking an answer to help them believe,
many skeptics use it as a weapon to discourage
belief. It is certainly not a new question. It also
presumes that God is incompetent or not wholly
sovereign. They say, “I wouldn’t do anything like
that, so God shouldn’t either.” But the framework
of the Bible is that God is indeed sovereign, just,
and competent, which is exactly why writers left
the story in. God wasn’t hiding, and He’s hoping
people come to Him for the answer.
Yet a genuine question deserves a genuine
response, and I hope I’ve given you some helpful
nuggets of wisdom to answer a truly difficult
question. Quite simply, for God’s faithful, it is a
matter of trust. Yes, we know that God is good,
that He wants the best, but ultimately, we have to
trust Him.

https://www.amazingfacts.org/news-and-features/news/item/id/10883/t/why-did-god-order-genocide
Re: Why Did God Support Genocide? by Nobody: 9:44am On May 21, 2017
What about the little children and unborn babies....why did God slaughter them too?....you said the amelikites always bore grudge against the isrealites and could attack them......but what does an unborn child have to do with this.....what does a child know about killing and sin?.....is it not right to spare the children and pregnant women and take them as slaves?....why kill them too?
Re: Why Did God Support Genocide? by zionmade(m): 10:36am On May 21, 2017
God stands by his rules and principles.
In that era his principle was that children would also bear d punishment of their parents even up to d 10th generations. Only if u know how wicked and adulterous d world was den because d goverment of d day belonged to d devil. So God used those punishments to checkmate his chosen people. People through whom he will bring decorum like we have today to d world
Re: Why Did God Support Genocide? by malvisguy212: 10:47am On May 21, 2017
liepzig:
Hello brethren....i got converted to christianity not too long ago.
I was given a bible by one of my christian friend and sooner than later i started reading it.
Starting from the old testament,i have been reading the book of first Samuel and i came across a certain passage where God commanded Saul to wipe out the Amelikites-men,women,children and animals because the Amelikites attacked the Isrealites at the time when Moses was leading them to the promised land.
Please note that the attack on the Isrealites happened in the time Moses...which is approximately 800 years before Saul's generation.
My question is why did God want to wipe out the Amelikites for the sins of their ancestors?...is it fair for a man to suffer for the sin of his forefathers?
God commanded Saul to kill all Amelikites....men-old or young,children,women...even the pregnant ones and their unborn babies.....everybody should be slaughtered according to God.....my brethren this is first degree genocide!
Remember the Amelikites had nothing to do with attacking the isrealites....it was their ancestors that did it.
The Amelikites may not know God or could be worshipping idols but wiping their entire population...men,women,children,unborn babies even animals....is it fair?
Is it not genocide?

Why would God support genocide?

Why would God seek to wipe out an entire population because of the sin of the ancestors?

If God allows genocide....then christianity is no better than Islam.
I'm just a new born christian who started reading bible lately and there are so many things i dont understand.....i'm very curious
Brethren,bible scholars,clerics
I need answers...
The mods should shoud push this to front page please.
are you sure you read it ? or you get this information from the website ? the amalakites attack the Israelites In the desert, when the Israelites were weary and without food, during the time of judges they attack the Israelites again, God gave them 200 years to repent, because from the time in Deuteronomy down to the time in 1 kings was 200 years. but still their evils wax stronger.

A basic knowledge of Canaanite culture reveals its inherent moral wickedness. The Canaanites were a brutal, aggressive people who engaged in bestiality, incest, and even child sacrifice. Deviant sexual acts were the norm. The Canaanites’ sin was so repellent that God said, “The land vomited out its inhabitants” (Leviticus 18:25 ). Even so, the destruction was directed more at the Canaanite religion (Deuteronomy 7:3–5 , 12:2-3 ) than at the Canaanite people per se. The judgment was not ethnically motivated. Individual Canaanites, like Rahab in Jericho, could still find that mercy follows repentance (Joshua 2 ). God's desire is that the wicked turn from their sin rather than die (Ezekiel 18:31-32 , 33:11 ).

(1) (Reply)

The Two Great Commandments That Contain The Whole Law Of God / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / Why You Should Be A Christian(& Some Things To Consider).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.