Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,250 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars (17006 Views)

List Of Cars You Should Buy And Enjoy In Nigeria By Twitter User / Types Of Cars According To Their Body Style / Photos Of Cars And Jets With Matching Colors: They Are Just Too Cute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by AutoJoshNG: 6:05pm On May 22, 2017
Women have not really gotten so much attention in the auto world .People still marvel when they see female mechanics especially here in Nigeria,because its a rare occurrence .

But there are women that have helped shape the history of cars to what we see today .

Its time for us to learn about them,lets go !.

In 1902 Mary Anderson invented the first windshield wiper . Before her invention, people rubbed a mixture of onions and carrots on windshields to repel water.

Around 1913, actress Florence Lawrence invented the first turn signal or “auto signaling arm” which attached to the car’s rear fender.

The first female taxi driver in recorded history is Wilma K. Russey.She started as early as 1915.Its also said that she was an expert at automotive repairs .

In 1943, Helene Rother became the first female automotive designer. She was a French jewelry designer, she got hired by General Motors to fashion elegant interior designs.

She spent 4 years with GM before moving on to join Nash-Kevinator (part of present-day Chrysler), working on most of the automaker’s cars from 1948 to 1956.

In 1951, she became the first woman to address the Society of Automotive Engineers and was awarded the Jackson Medal for excellence of design.

Janet Guthrie was the first woman to qualify and race in both the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500. She has been inducted in both the International Women’s Sports Hall of Fame and the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, and her racing suit and helmet are on display at the Smithsonian Institution, a further honor.

Know anyone left out ?

Lets hear from you .

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/5-women-who-made-a-mark-in-the-history-of-cars/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by eezeribe(m): 6:07pm On May 22, 2017
Don't really know if this history helps anyone
Anyway,just to generate traffic.
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 22, 2017
Please, add my name.
I heard I am the first woman to drive up Obudu Mountain Resort at about 160km/hr. angry

7 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 22, 2017
PaperLace:
Abeg add my name.
I heard I am the first woman to drive up Obudu Mountain Resort. angry

You also happen to be the first homosapien ever to lunge a car forward when the gear was on reverse. grin

19 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by PDPGuy: 12:08am On May 23, 2017
PaperLace:
Please, add my name.
I heard I am the first woman to drive up Obudu Mountain Resort at about 160km/hr. angry
shocked
Ma'am I hail you.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by BoleAndFish: 3:26am On May 23, 2017
PaperLace:
Please, add my name.
Wake up, young lady!
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Alisegun(m): 7:12am On May 23, 2017
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by sbashir10(m): 7:13am On May 23, 2017
the Nigerian Woman to own a car.

Madam Efunroye Tinubu

First Nigeria Woman to drive a car

funmilayo ranson kuti

13 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by verygudbadguy(m): 7:13am On May 23, 2017
History will always remember Mama Fela Kuti as the first Nigerian woman to drive a car.

13 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Nobody: 7:14am On May 23, 2017
Its a woman's world!
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Nobody: 7:14am On May 23, 2017
Good to know, thanks.
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by onoms4luv(m): 7:16am On May 23, 2017
justspeechless
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by EmpireSolid: 7:17am On May 23, 2017
I was here
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by walosky(m): 7:19am On May 23, 2017
And Madam Olufumilayo Ransome-Kuti was the first woman to had used a Mercedes Benz to dispatch refuse

1 Like

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by MrBONE2(m): 7:20am On May 23, 2017
My Sisi was the first woman to drive OX-Cart in Nigeria and Africa as a wholegrin

Gyarbonka grin
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by maxiuc(m): 7:22am On May 23, 2017
My mama should be there na

She told me she was an expert driver during her time by then in Lagos

So after all the braging her name is not there
Carry my mum in your car u will never have peace of mind while driving she will monitor everything you do you will be Oya mama come nd drive na since you complain one every thing

1 Like

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by donsheddy1(m): 7:23am On May 23, 2017
This is remarkable
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by maxiuc(m): 7:25am On May 23, 2017
sbashir10:
the Nigerian Woman to own a car.

Madam Efunroye Tinubu

First Nigeria Woman to drive a car

funmilayo ranson kuti
you are using style now to bring in tribal sentiment

Yes we have seen they are all AfonjAs women

1 Like

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Dottore: 7:26am On May 23, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by GoldenJAT(m): 7:32am On May 23, 2017
Real women!!!
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by uminem02(m): 7:43am On May 23, 2017
Show some love...It's my day

10 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Evablizin(f): 7:45am On May 23, 2017
Wonderful,weaker vessel d say,but in their weakness lies their strength
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by chiefolododo(m): 7:55am On May 23, 2017
I...

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by engrjacuzzi: 7:59am On May 23, 2017
you forgot My mother's name;
my mother was the first woman to sell her husband's beetle car in Nigeria and also the first woman to push faulty car.
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by cooljude(m): 8:03am On May 23, 2017
You didn't add the first person to ride a car over a long distance.
Bertha Benz (née Ringer , 3 May 1849 – 5 May 1944) was
a German automotive pioneer. She was the wife and
business partner of automobile inventor Karl Benz . In 1888,
she was the first person to drive an automobile over a long
distance. [1] In doing so, she brought the Benz Patent-
Motorwagen worldwide attention and got the company its
first sales and practically invented PR and also she also invented Brake Pad.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertha_Benz

3 Likes

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by bewla(m): 8:06am On May 23, 2017
kuli kuli generation on
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by Emmahunk(m): 9:07am On May 23, 2017
No 3 really got me. Thought she would have come from Africa especially Nigeria
Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by TechRex(m): 9:14am On May 23, 2017
ok

Re: 5 Women Who Made A Mark In The History Of Cars by calberian: 9:35am On May 23, 2017
Wow

Bertha Benz also invented brake pads and on her maiden trip of about 5km or so, she ran out of fuel and stopped by a pharmacy to purchase paraffin with which she refilled the fuel tank.

She wasn't only bold.

She was smart.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Front Loader Garbage Truck Has An Exciting Way Of Carrying Waste Container / How To Get Home Safely After Drinking / Reasons Why Your Car Shuts Off While Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.