Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,823 members, 7,813,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage (1070 Views)

Anthony Okolie: Court Awards N10m Against DSS, Absolves Buhari’s Daughter / Anxiety Over $9bn Nigerian Assets; London Court Sits On Tuesday / Jonathan, Diezani Received Bribes For OPL 245, FG Tells London Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by atorioke(m): 8:20pm On May 22, 2017
A High court in London has awarded former governor of Delta State, James Ibori, a damage of £1( about N400) over unlawful detention by British Home Secretary Amber Rudd.

Justice Cheema-Grubb agreed that Ibori was unlawfully held for one day, 18 hours and 10 minutes between December 20 and 21 last year.

She also said the Home Secretary “failed to have regard to her limits to detain” as attempts were made to claw back millions from the fraudster.

Ibori who had claimed £4,000 in damages was awarded a nominal £1 of the sum he had claimed.

The judge ruled: “There is no compensatory loss to Mr Ibori and I fix nominal damages at £1.”

Ibori was sentenced to 13 years imprisonment after being found guilty of 10 serious charges in April 2012 at Southwark Crown Court.

Having spent some time in custody in the United Arab Emirates, he was due to be conditionally released from prison on December 20 2016.

But the Home Office disclosed that there was no intention to deport Ibori to Nigeria until he handed over at least £57m “proceeds of crime”.

An email stated: “we cannot deport Mr Ibori until the confiscation matter has been resolved”.

High Court Mrs Justice May on December 2, 2016, the day after his due release date, ordered Ibori to be freed on conditions, describing the attempts to detain as “quite extraordinary”.

The judge noted: “You don’t hold someone just because it is convenient to do so and without plans to deport them.”

The judge rejected a Home Office application that Ibori be electronically tagged and subject to strict curfew conditions, after the judge accepted arguments that the Home Secretary was attempting to abuse her immigration and deportation powers.

Ibori left the UK on February 3 2017, but launched his claim for damages for false imprisonment and breach of his rights under the 1998 Human Rights Act.

Ibori was detained in the context of awaiting the making of an assets confiscation order, and likely subsequent efforts to recoup a sum at least £57m.

The judge ruled:

“In this case, the secretary of state has been wrong-footed by the failure of the prosecution to achieve determination of its confiscation proceedings against Mr Ibori prior to his release from prison on licence”.

http://www.eyereport.com.ng/london-court-awarded-ibori-1-n400-damage/

Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by ciscoxx(m): 8:25pm On May 22, 2017
£1 convert to #400only.. My guy no gree go collect ur £3,999.
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 22, 2017
Laughing out Loud!!
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Desyner: 8:29pm On May 22, 2017
Only one day of unlawful detention, what about the remaining days he spent in jail? What does he have to say about those?
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Jabioro: 8:31pm On May 22, 2017
Ironically is a lot of money.. he physically go back to the sum..
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by shukuokukobambi: 8:31pm On May 22, 2017
Some kind judgement sef go make victim begin cry. How much will his lawyer get out of the £1? cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:36pm On May 22, 2017
hahahahaa

Ibori no want gree sha
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by verygudbadguy(m): 8:39pm On May 22, 2017
Mockery of the highest order.

The funny thing is this; Some people still see Ibori as a saint compared to the kind of stealing and corruption happening in the recent time. That means that if the set of crooks that we have now are more sophisticated than Ibori, then, we are in for something else.

Sometimes, I pity myself for growing up in this kind of setting. After a hectic day at work, you will get home to meet darkness and loud noise from generators everywhere in the street. Chai!

1 Like

Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 22, 2017
Imagine!
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Justuceleague2: 8:49pm On May 22, 2017
Dem use '"He's awa tiff''rub am

Hahahhhhhaha
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Justuceleague2: 8:51pm On May 22, 2017
ciscoxx:
£1 convert to #400only.. My guy no gree go collect ur £3,999.

Na you wan pay the balance?

If na you send am gimme make I give am grin
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by gawu1: 8:59pm On May 22, 2017
verygudbadguy:
Mockery of the highest order.

The funny thing is this; Some people still see Ibori as a saint compared to the kind of stealing and corruption happening in the recent time. That means that if the set of crooks that we have now are more sophisticated than Ibori, then, we are in for something else.

Sometimes, I pity myself for growing up in this kind of setting. After a hectic day at work, you will get home to meet darkness and loud noise from generators everywhere in the street. Chai!

You need to take the bull by the horn. Men don't complain!
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by Hongbenga(m): 4:09pm On May 23, 2017
#408 hmm
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by MONITZ: 5:22pm On May 23, 2017
The British re a very terrible set of people ,when they want to confiscate money from our corrupt politicians, they usually do it with much gusto and to the last kobo and when they re meant to pay compensation they start foot dragging and all of a sudden become miserly ...

I don't blame them anyway, rather I blame our selfish politicians who won't invest in this country...
Re: London Court Awards Ibori £1 (N400) Damage by tutudesz: 6:28pm On May 25, 2017
MONITZ:
The British re a very terrible set of people ,when they want to confiscate money from our corrupt politicians, they usually do it with much gusto and to the last kobo and when they re meant to pay compensation they start foot dragging and all of a sudden become miserly ...

I don't blame them anyway, rather I blame our selfish politicians who won't invest in this country...
just imagine the billions Delta state lost to UK government,all Ibori investment are outside Delta with no benefits to Deltans

(1) (Reply)

A Bill Seeking To Establish The South-east Development Commission Has Scaled Sec / “it Is Either Biafra Or Death” – IPOB Leader, Nnamdi Kanu Says / INEC: What Is Wrong With This Voters' Card-(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.