Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,913 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation (1138 Views)

Godfathers: Oshiomhole Has Joined James Ibori And Bola Tinubu As Power Brokers / James Ibori Loses Appeal Against UK Fraud Conviction / James Ibori Weeps At Alamieyeseigha’s Graveside In Bayelsa...Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Nagisa: 2:06pm On May 23, 2017
Former Delta State Governor, James Ibori who was released after serving 13 years in a UK prison last December has won his case against the UK Government for unlawful detention by the British Home Secretary, Amber Rudd.

Ibori whose case was heard before Justice Cheema-Grubb was awarded the sum of £1 (1 pound) as damages by the London High Court.

UK Evening Standard reports that the presiding judge in his ruling declared that Ibori was unlawfully held for one day, 18 hours and 10 minutes between December 20 and 21 last year and has such awarded the £1 to be paid to James Ibori as damages as against the £4,000 demanded by the former governor in his suit.

Justice Cheema-Grubb while delivering his ruling said: “There is no compensatory loss to Mr Ibori and I fix nominal damages at £1.”

Share with friends:

Read more at http://www.herald.ng/james-ibori-wins-case-uk-government-gets-1-compensation/#v7pdljF0zCpEjePt.99
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by NgeneUkwenu(f): 2:07pm On May 23, 2017
Good for him!
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by steve6: 2:08pm On May 23, 2017
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by divinehand2003(m): 2:09pm On May 23, 2017
Interestingly interesting.

But wait ooooo, what will he use £1 to accomplish? I initially thought it was £1 million. Chai there is God ooooo.
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 23, 2017
So now a criminal will be compensated?
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by madridguy(m): 2:15pm On May 23, 2017
See better slap grin grin grin

Nigerians are so hilarious. See this...

A man who claimed to have finished his secondary education at the age of 12 and served before he graduated wrote a book.

Another man who falsely declared his assets after running a bank aground wrote the foreword.

A woman who said the $15m traced to her was an inheritance from her late mother who died a petty trader was the special guest of
honour.

And the title of the book is..... *ANTIDOTE For CORRUPTION*
Who are these people

5 Likes

Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by gbegemaster(m): 2:16pm On May 23, 2017
What?

Haha

Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Eshinwaju: 2:20pm On May 23, 2017
grin grin grin....now watch the news narrative changed by iPod lying machinery.....IBORI IS FOUND NOT GUILTY.... angry...awon alakori gbogbo... sad

1 Like

Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Pappyjim: 2:28pm On May 23, 2017
Chaiii ibori is *Finished*! Where is he lemme pump just a bullet!

Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Mekus68: 2:31pm On May 23, 2017
Why then did he win the case since its just £1 they awarded him. What's the need.
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by MaziOmenuko: 2:35pm On May 23, 2017
the presiding judge in his ruling declared that Ibori was unlawfully held for one day, 18 hours and 10 minutes between December 20 and 21 last year

I guess that was before he was charged to court and later jailed. Nigerian Police holds people more than the stipulated 48hrs without charging them to court though.

2 Likes

Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Doctorfitz: 2:38pm On May 23, 2017
Wetin concern me....

1 Like

Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Lusola15: 2:40pm On May 23, 2017
James, you did your time now collect your £1 and enjoy it cool
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by linuxuser(m): 2:42pm On May 23, 2017
Do you really want us to share this with our friends? Really? Shame on you. When he was jailed you did not ask us to share the news with our friends but because he won a case of unlawful detention for ONE DAY, you now want to share this. I am sure if people like you ever get to power, your corruption will be unprecedented and second to none.

Nagisa:
Former Delta State Governor, James Ibori who was released after serving 13 years in a UK prison last December has won his case against the UK Government for unlawful detention by the British Home Secretary, Amber Rudd.

Ibori whose case was heard before Justice Cheema-Grubb was awarded the sum of £1 (1 pound) as damages by the London High Court.

UK Evening Standard reports that the presiding judge in his ruling declared that Ibori was unlawfully held for one day, 18 hours and 10 minutes between December 20 and 21 last year and has such awarded the £1 to be paid to James Ibori as damages as against the £4,000 demanded by the former governor in his suit.

Justice Cheema-Grubb while delivering his ruling said: “There is no compensatory loss to Mr Ibori and I fix nominal damages at £1.”

Share with friends:

Read more at http://www.herald.ng/james-ibori-wins-case-uk-government-gets-1-compensation/#v7pdljF0zCpEjePt.99
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by diablos: 2:48pm On May 23, 2017
£1 compensation... D judge carry mind pass pharoah grin
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by ElsonMorali: 2:55pm On May 23, 2017
Doctorfitz:
Wetin concern me....

Me, I'm waiting for 9:15pm
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Doctorfitz: 3:01pm On May 23, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Me, I'm waiting for 9:15pm

Hahaha bad guy. U no go last for 915 oo
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by ElsonMorali: 3:04pm On May 23, 2017
Doctorfitz:

Hahaha bad guy. U no go last for 915 oo

Lol.
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by aribisala0(m): 3:09pm On May 23, 2017
Doctorfitz:
Wetin concern me....
8.20 am is better but me personally I prefer 09.15
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Doctorfitz: 3:10pm On May 23, 2017
aribisala0:
8.20 am is better but me personally I prefer 09.15

No b me and una, with the way Nigerian girls dey Now Na 6.30 u go prefer. If they give you 915 welcome to Atlantic Ocean... U swim u die, u don't swim u die grin grin
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 3:44pm On May 23, 2017
UK is stingy
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by TheShopKeeper(m): 3:48pm On May 23, 2017
The judge just made Ibori's appeal look stupid...how dare a convicted looter appeal against his detention.
That £1 doesn't even cover anything.
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Houseofglam7(f): 3:53pm On May 23, 2017
This is ridiculous
Re: James Ibori Wins Case Against UK Government, Gets £1 In Compensation by Tenim47(m): 4:32pm On May 23, 2017
shameless

(1) (Reply)

4 Challenges Biafra Will Face After Independence / Kanu May Have Been Killed By The Army, IPOB Alleges / 2019: APC Group Withdraws Support For Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.