Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,456 members, 7,836,809 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read (965 Views)

Top Ten Signs You're A Fundamentalist Christian / Question For Atheists And Religious People / Deep Sight Is A Closet Fundamentalist Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by RiffRaff: 8:29pm On Jan 14, 2010
My journey towards atheism started with reading variety of books. Sometimes i feel some of the theists do not understand where we are coming from. I have created this thread so that you can recommend books to people that might want to find out why atheists lacks a belief in a god.
The books that really changed my life then include

Age Of Reason - Thomas pain
Freedom Of Choice - Thomas schalko
Case against God - George H Smith

These books were an eye opener. You can find them online for free. I’ll post the link as soon as i find them or u cud leave ur email. i will send u the books.
i sometimes feel maybe we do not understand the theist point of view too. I hope they too would recommend books that will help drive there point.
Atheist and Theist please recommend books that will enlighten us about belief or non belief in a god.
Please no dumb book like “rhapsody of realities” and “open heaven” (had to say that)
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 14, 2010
Nice thread. but sorry, nigerians don't read and that's why we are an ignorant folk, except of course u see people brandishing "rhapsody of realities" and "open heavens" (had to say that)
I'll naturally recommend Nietzsche's works (which are indeed lofty and remarkable)- the collected works of Nietzsche penguin classic. The Antichrist is also very good. God is not Great-Christopher Hitchens and The God Delusion -Richard Dawkins. Also "Origins of Species" -Charles Darwin
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Zodiac61(m): 10:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
I agree with sauer's selection, although I have not read Nietzsche. May I add The End of Faith by Sam Harris to the pile.
There is also a book edited by by Christopher Hitchens called The Portable Atheist. It is a collection of writing by various people like Omar Khayyam, Thomas Hobbs etc. 47 different articles.
Karen Armstrong :  the History of God, Islam:A Short History and The Bible: A Biography.
I also recommend the Bible (which I have read and not just the bits the pastors and other clergy want you to read), and the Koran. It would certainly help if the theists actually read the whole book and not just selected passages which suit their positions.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by mazaje(m): 10:51pm On Jan 14, 2010
I recommend Misquoting Jesus, God's problem and Jesus interrupted by Barth Erhman, God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger, The Bible and the Koran and the writings of Ancient Greek philosophers like Democritus, Aristotle, Pluto and the Hindu Verda. . . . . .
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by mazaje(m): 10:52pm On Jan 14, 2010
Zodiac61:

I agree with sauer's selection, although I have not read Nietzsche. May I add The End of Faith by Sam Harris to the pile.
There is also a book edited by by Christopher Hitchens called The Portable Atheist. It is a collection of writing by various people like Omar Khayyam, Thomas Hobbs etc. 47 different articles.
Karen Armstrong :  the History of God, Islam:A Short History and The Bible: A Biography.
I also recommend the Bible (which I have read and not just the bits the pastors and other clergy want you to read), and the Koran. It would certainly help if the theists actually read the whole book and not just selected passages which suit their positions.

True words. . . .
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by g1(m): 8:16am On Jan 15, 2010
most of the ones i wanted to recommend have already been mentioned so i will add just a few more, :
1. GOD: The failed hypothesis by victor stenger
2. Demon haunted world by carl sagan
3. The Selfish gene by richard dawkins
4. Mistakes were made (but not by me) by Carol Tarvris and elliot aronson
5.The evolution of god by robert right
6.cosmos by carl sagan
7.the whole shebang by timothy ferris
8.in search of schrodinger'cat by john gribbin
9.sophie's world by jostein gaarder
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by g1(m): 8:22am On Jan 15, 2010
finally i forgot to add the quran and the bible especially if you are looking for a good laugh and crazy people, grin, let me give you a little review to get u rolling, there is this guy in d bible and quran called abraham about to slaughter his son because he heard voices in his head telling him to do so, lol, classic nollywood stuff,
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 15, 2010
the cartoon history of the universe, all volumes

if you can finish them

enough material there to mess with any atheistic mind
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by MyJoe: 12:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
@OP

I will heartily recommend Mansions of the Soul, by H. Spencer Lewis. It at once addresses the questions of the existence of God as well as Karma. It makes a lot fantastic claims you can go and verify on your own.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by akered: 2:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
Very nice list.  I will also recommend "The faith healers" by James Randi.  It explains the various tricks used by faith healers today with very good real life reports
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by toneyb: 4:51pm On Jan 15, 2010
I recommend The writings of Robert Ingersoll, Faith Healers by James Randi, Age of reason by Thomas Pain, 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A Work of Fiction by Rebecca Goldstein, Slaves to Faith: A Therapist Looks Inside the Fundamentalist Mind by Calvin Mercer, Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris and The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by manmustwac(m): 5:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
''The God Virus'' by Darrel W. Ray. The book explains the role that religion plays in U.S. culture and in the lives of individuals, and then to provide guidance for people who would like to free themselves completely from the influence of religion.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Tudor6(f): 5:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
Guys could you please post links to these books. . . . I tried recommending some to of my friends months ago and they're yet to find it in nigeria.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Tudor6(f): 5:50pm On Jan 15, 2010
Guys could you please post links to these books. . . . I tried recommending some to of my friends months ago and they're yet to find it in nigeria.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by manmustwac(m): 5:58pm On Jan 15, 2010
Tudór:

The God Virus

http://www.thegodvirus.net/images/The%20GodVirus_Intro_1_2.pdf

I'll post more later.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Tudor6(f): 7:09pm On Jan 15, 2010
Thanks manmustwac. . .
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by manmustwac(m): 8:48pm On Jan 15, 2010
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by IDINRETE: 9:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
Tudór:

Ask them to google Robert G Ingersoll. There is plethora of his writings online.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by ilosiwaju: 3:43pm On Jan 20, 2010
1. The Necessity of Atheism by D.M. Brooks- http://manybooks.net/titles/brooksd2024820248-8.html
2. A History of God by Karen Armstrong
3. The AntiChrist- Nietsche
4. God's Problem- Bart Ehrman
5. Jesus Interrupted- Bart Ehrman
6. In Search of Paul- Jonathan L. Reed & Dominic Crossan
7. Why People Believe Weird Things- Michael Shermer
8. All Dawkins' book you can get especially The God Delusion and The Blind Watchmaker
9. The Credo of being and nothingness- a lecture by Wole Soyinka
Most of these books are available on some doc sharing services like scribd.com and docstoc.com, you may need to register though. I have a lot of them in pdf and dont mind attaching and sending to interested folks. just send me your email addy.
all the best riff raff!
wink
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by ilosiwaju: 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2010
@tudor, some bookshops dont even think of stocking such books. there are some nice stores in abuja however that sell them. . .got a few there myself.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jan 21, 2010
g1:

most of the ones i wanted to recommend have already been mentioned so i will add just a few more, :
1. GOD: The failed hypothesis by victor stenger
2. Demon haunted world by carl sagan
3. The Selfish gene by richard dawkins
4. Mistakes were made (but not by me) by Carol Tarvris and elliot aronson
5.The evolution of god by robert right
6.cosmos by carl sagan
7.the whole shebang by timothy ferris
8.in search of schrodinger'cat by john gribbin
9.sophie's world by jostein gaarder

Am reading Sophie's World at the moment. Wonderful book, I certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to shed his nagging religious skin!
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Tudor6(f): 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2010
ilosiwaju:

@tudor, some bookshops dont even think of stocking such books. there are some nice stores in abuja however that sell them. . .got a few there myself.
Thanks for the links ilosiwaju, please could you let me know the addresses of the shops in abuja that sell those books?
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by PastorAIO: 5:29pm On Jan 21, 2010
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 21, 2010
Please also read Wittgenstein's tractatus. I read some part in school, and it really did open my mind. You can get free copy on www.gutenberg.org
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 21, 2010
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Ascony(m): 9:24pm On Jan 21, 2010
1. The atheists universe. By David Mills

http://www.davidmills.net/Atheist-Universe-Excerpt.pdf

2. Losing faith in faith, From preacher to atheist. By Dan Barker

http://www.ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by bawomolo(m): 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2010
Ascony:

1. The atheists universe. By David Mills

http://www.davidmills.net/Atheist-Universe-Excerpt.pdf

2. Losing faith in faith, From preacher to atheist. By Dan Barker

http://www.ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/

interesting
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 13, 2013
Bump....
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 13, 2013
Disturbed and enters a frenzy by a fictitious Figure by All Atheist. grin where to get it: check the next thread posted by athiest.
How much: free of charge, published date: when He pricks them.
Re: Athiest/agnost/fundamentalist/religious People Suggest A Book We Can Read by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 14, 2013
Lee strobel the case for a creator, the case for the real Jesus.

(1) (Reply)

Is Hell Real? / Nigerians,this Is What The Bible Says About Suicide Bombing / A Man Of God Remains A Man Of God - Tb Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.