Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,855 members, 7,862,803 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:59 AM

Lagos @ 50: In Need Of Yardstick By Olawale Olaniyan. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos @ 50: In Need Of Yardstick By Olawale Olaniyan. (644 Views)

Florence Ajimobi And Rauf Olaniyan In Exchange Of Words (video) / Fayose Pictured With Tinubu, Okorocha, Osinbajo, Amosun At Lagos @ 50 Gala Night / Maryland Wears New Look Ahead Of Lagos@50 Anniversary (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagos @ 50: In Need Of Yardstick By Olawale Olaniyan. by Moreoffaith(m): 6:27pm On May 24, 2017
I believe by now it is no longer news that Lagos, the “New York of Nigeria” as Otunba Dele Momodu once described the largest city in Africa in terms of population and one of the fastest growing cities on planet in his article clocks 50 this year. Every corner, every nook and cranny of Lagos you pass by, you would most likely see images, signposts that informs you of the milestone.

Similarly, different social media platforms without any element of exaggeration have been flooded in the past few weeks with different hash tags about this landmark.

The purpose of this write up is not to further market the anniversary or to pronounce this milestone as a success or otherwise but to look at facts that would help us deduce if Lagos at 50 is actually a success as it has been painted to be or if it is otherwise.

Now more than ever have I been forced to think more about the egg and chicken theory; asking myself which came into existence first, if it was the chicken or the egg. I am forced to ask if Lagos came into existence before Nigeria or Nigeria came into existence before Lagos because series of success stories about Lagos flying all over the internet in the past few weeks needs some reviews if you ask me.

It might be too early to for us to conclude that the success stories of Lagos at 50 are exaggerated if it is a success at all or if the success is being under celebrated, that’s left for readers to decide at the end of this article. I do not have a perfect or well calibrated yardstick at the moment to determine this. For the purpose of this write up and for simplicity sake I would assume a stand that Lagos at 50 is a success.

One way to determine the extent of this success is by comparing Lagos as a state with other states in the Federation. For example, taking Ogun state a neighbouring state which is often referred to as New Jersey of Nigeria when Lagos is referred to as the New York of Nigeria.

Ogun state celebrated 40 years of existence last year but when we try to compare the developmental gap between Lagos and Ogun state without any element of exaggeration, you would agree with me that Ogun is far more than a decade behind Lagos and this goes for so many other states in Nigeria if not all. Ogun just happens to be the state of comparison here.

When you talk of industrialization, civilization, commercialization and infrastructural development, Ogun is arguably like three decades behind Lagos. No intention to humiliate Ogun or the great people of Ogun. The prolific Ogun state known for producing national heroes, from sports where you can mention Muda Lawal of blessed memory, to academics where we have the Nobel laureate; Prof Wole Soyinka.

Another way we can determine if Lagos is a success at 50 or not is to look at the economy of the state. Presently, the state is the fifth largest economy in Africa with a GDP.of $30bn according to versus.com with internally generated revenue of about $600M annually. Report says Lagos has the potential to be Africa’s second largest economy by 2030. These are figures we see all over the internet but the question we ask is, how does this reflect in the life of the average Lagosian?

Lagos is a city like none, with its unique history among other state in the country, the commercial hub of the federation. The adopted home of businessmen, politicians, musicians, celebrities and so on. The city of dream, hope and breakthrough. A state whose internally generated revenue is more than the remaining south-western state put together.

A state that if it were to be a country would be among the top five economies in Africa. I can go on to write fascinating facts about Lagos but like I said earlier, the purpose of this write up is not market Lagos in any dimension but for readers to make some deduction after reading this. It may surprise us to know that Lagos with all these exciting facts houses Makoko; a place once referred to has the biggest floating city in the world.

Off course not the type of floating city we have in the Arab emirates but a perfect opposite of it. Makoko, a complete slum spread out beneath the second longest bridge in Africa and the longest in West- Africa; the third mainland bridge has always been a nightmare for the Lagos state government. The state government have always wanted to demolish the slum and evacuate residents but always through the same approach; force. No one comes to Lagos and visits the Island for business, vacation or just any event without having a full view of the slum. No wonder Lagos is being described as the Ocean of poverty and Island of Wealth.

It is imperative for me to draw our minds to some facts about the state of Lagos today before I close for the day, so we can make some quality deductions and conclude if Lagos at 50 is actually a success worth celebrating or not. Although unemployment is a global challenge but unemployment at rate as high as 21% according to versus.com for a state like Lagos that boast of an IGR. of about 200 billion naira per annum might not be good enough. Education, healthcare and infrastructures are another area I would want us to ask questions about.

Do we have the quality we expect for a state with such enormous IGR? Readers should answer these and decide accordingly if Lagos at 50 is a success, and if it is worth celebrating or perhaps if it is being under celebrated.

1 Like

Re: Lagos @ 50: In Need Of Yardstick By Olawale Olaniyan. by tollyboy5(m): 12:46am On May 25, 2017
Lagos is not been over celebrated but still Lagos state is too poor to what I understand but people don't know that undecided I've decided not to blame anyone because population keep increasing management become tougher . with money generated they should have the best university in Nigeria. But half bread is better than none . I'm optimistic about 2019 when Lagos oil would be refined at Lagos west maybe that one would create more access to complete projects as they generate more income
Re: Lagos @ 50: In Need Of Yardstick By Olawale Olaniyan. by Moreoffaith(m): 7:15am On May 25, 2017
tollyboy5:
Lagos is not been over celebrated but still Lagos state is too poor to what I understand but people don't know that undecided I've decided not to blame anyone because population keep increasing management become tougher . with money generated they should have the best university in Nigeria. But half bread is better than none . I'm optimistic about 2019 when Lagos oil would be refined at Lagos west maybe that one would create more access to complete projects as they generate more income

God bless you my brother.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Blame For Nigeria Falls Not On Buhari, Jonathan, Obasanjo Or Even Abacha!!! / What Good Things Can You Say About Nigeria? / Osinbanjo Invited To G7 Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.