Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,003 members, 7,866,799 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:31 AM

Today Is Feast Of The Ascension Of The Lord - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today Is Feast Of The Ascension Of The Lord (331 Views)

Catholic Church In Nigeria Celebrates Feast Of Christ The King Today / What Is The Meaning And Importance Of The Ascension Of Jesus Christ? / Catholic:Acension thursday; Today Marks The Ascension Of Our Lord Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Today Is Feast Of The Ascension Of The Lord by domesifa(m): 9:58am On May 25, 2017
ASCENSION, BEYOND THE PHYSICS!
* Act 1 : 1 - 11, Eph 1 : 17 - 23, Matt 28 : 16 - 20.
The Bible recorded that when Jesus saw that many of his followers protested against his teaching on the Eucharist as intolerable language - something preposterous to human reason, he even gave them a bigger poser about his Ascension : 'Does this disturb you to believe? What if you should see the Son of man ascend to where he was before? It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh has nothing to offer', Jn 6 : 63. We need to understand that heaven is essentially a spiritual place not physical. And so the doctrine about Ascension is beyond the physics. Come to think of it, the earth is actually spherical and not a flat surface for one to logically talk about ascension strictly speaking. So, when Jesus says 'In my father's house, there are many rooms', Jn 14 : 2, we know he is only using anthropomorphic terms to describe metaphysical realities. Have we thought about what kind of persons will live in those rooms? Do spiritual bodies dwell in rooms? Where was Jesus actually ascending to? Was he actually ascending, scientifically speaking?

St Augustine tried to visualize what kind of bodies the Angels and Saints will assume after the resurrection and ended up calling it 'spiritual bodies'. Going by what Jesus told Mary Magdalene when she tried to hug him after the resurrection : 'Do not cling to me because I have not yet ascended to the Father...', Jn 20 : 17, we get a little bit confused. One cannot but wonder what kind of body Jesus had then. Yet, we know that Thomas was able to touch and feel it, Jn 21 : 24 - 27. We learn in Physics that matter is anything that has weight and occupies space. If so, Christ's resurrected body is matter. How then did it ascend into the heavens defying all laws of gravity? These are mysteries beyond our scientific minds.

St Paul, speaking about the Ascension says : 'He went up to the heights, He took captives, and gave gifts to humanity'. This is in fulfillment of Christ's promise : 'If I do not go, the Paraclete will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you', Jn 16 : 7. Just like the rainfall. If the sunshine does not take it up into the sky it will not pour down again on the surface of the earth. St Paul concludes it this way : 'The mystery of our religion is indeed very deep (beyond the physical) :He was made visible in the flesh (Message of incarnation), seen by Angels (Christmas message), proclaimed to the Gentiles (Message of Epiphany), believed in throughout the world (the Catholic mysteries of the Light) and taken up in glory (Message of Ascension)', 1 Tim 3 : 16.

Today's celebration marks the the end of the 40 days of Christ's manifestations on earth in his trinitarian capacity as God the Son. He completed that mission and gave the mantle over to God the Holy Spirit, thus ushering in the Pentecostal era. Our 1st reading today says : 'You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you and then you will be my witnesses'. Does it mean the apostles having stayed for many years with Christ could not get the spiritual power they needed directly from him? I think we are expected from this season, to move our devotion to another person of the Trinity. Without becoming guilty of theological pluralism , one must realize as Benny Hiln said in his book 'Good Morning Holy Spirit' that 'The 3rd person of the Trinity is waiting for you to meet Him personally. He yearns for a lifelong relationship', pg 49. According to Hiln, the task of the Spirit is to bring into being the commandment of the Father and the performance of the Son. Example, God the Father said 'Let there be light', God the Son came and performed it, Jn 1 : 9. Then God the Holy Spirit brought the light (at Pentecost), Act 2 : 1 - 4. The feast of Ascension closes one era of Trinitarian manifestation and ushers us into another, yet it is the same one God at work. Let's flow with the Church in this apocalypse of Liturgical seasons. The Easter season, like the rainy season of our spiritual life is the longest and liveliest of all.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Man Pictured Praying Before A Church Banner / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional For Today / What Makes Your Case Different From Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.