Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,245 members, 7,815,352 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur (10112 Views)

Widow Who Rides Keke, Becomes A Successful Entrepreneur, Inspires Nigerians / 5 Wrong Reasons For Becoming An Entrepreneur / Nkiru Emodi, Shoemaker, Wins Entrepreneur Of The Year Award (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by sekem: 8:44am On Jun 29, 2017
You're right

When you talk about Entrepreneurs, you talk about people like Akin Alabi of NairaBET

These guys are the pace setters, the visionaries, the game changers, the naturally stubborn and die hard go getters, you name it...

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Tayeni(m): 9:10am On Jun 29, 2017
SaulRazor:

God bless you ..I always feel bad when I see people who go to BALOGUN market to buy things and resell the call themselves entrepreneurs..I have been a serial entrepreneur for a while now and it's an insult to people like me and our huge vision, ground breaking thoughts and extreme sacrifice we put into taking an innovation from thought to printing (actually my term) to be compared to a hair reseller or tea reseller ..God bless you for this write up
your post reeks of pride. Whoever has the wisdom to observe where price is low...and buys an item there, then finds out where to sell at a higher price is an entrepreneur.....hell....even if you had an idea you thought was great and you failed at it and you go back to your drawing board penniless doesn't make mean you are not an entrepreneur... as failing and learning is a part of business.

There is this south African guy.... Vusi Thembakwayo who amongst other things is also a venture capitalist.
He said he would never give his capital to a business man who has never experienced failure. He said his money is not for an idea that has not been tested

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Martin0(m): 9:12am On Jun 29, 2017
dustydee:

Source? https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/294549

jesus christ,I dey shame for this Op,on a normal ground I usually share topics like this with my friends,but in this case I feel embarrassed to do so!!!
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by abbakin: 9:18am On Jun 29, 2017
There are many factors that may border your ideas about starting or expanding a business.

If you are inspired to learn more, do more and achieve more, then you are a leader and a potential entrepreneur.

An entrepreneur must have the decision ability to Start a business; the gut to invest his or her equity or personal savings into a new business, even with little or no experience.

Furthe, he also have the courage to take the risk, bear the loss and liabilities posed by the business.

Every entrepreneur can benefit from our free continues business education, networking events, financial and marketing programmatic assistance.

Get more info about us here: About Abbakin
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Chuksemi(m): 9:22am On Jun 29, 2017
PapaBrowne:
Errm, while I understand your point, I'd love to disagree.
Entrepreneurship is Entrepreneurship.

Below is Wikipedia's definition

What you mean is there are different grades of entrepreneurship. You are trying to differentiate​the silicon valley type entrepreneurship from the guy attempting to make a buck selling DVDs on the streets.

The best bet would be to create a new name for the transformative version of entrepreneurship which is what most startups play in.

Just what I was about to say. Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Deeldorado: 9:47am On Jun 29, 2017
Not entirely correct. One thing leads to another. Most entrepreneurs started out as ordinary tradesmen or doing what other people were doing till the blazed their own trail. The important thing is improving your endeavour until you build it to become a distinguished brand. It is actually start-ups that drive innovation.
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by newoffer: 10:01am On Jun 29, 2017
Is Evans an Entrepreneur? He started small
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Samusu(m): 10:08am On Jun 29, 2017
op, may God bless yhu abundantly.
the way our people and the authority talks about entrepreneur tells yhu the level of underdevelopment knowledge we have in this part of the world.
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by newacca: 10:53am On Jun 29, 2017
datola:
People like Aliko Dangote who gave us a FCMG company we can be proud of, Linda Ikeji who open our eyes to what blogging is, CEO’s of Konga and Jumia who introduced the E-commerce gig to us, our very own Seun Osewa of Nairaland and Mike Adenuga who without him we wouldn’t have known what per second billing is all about.

When Dangote started selling petty things he was was not an entrepreneur right?

What about when Seun was buying N100 browsing time at Cafe to build Nairaland he was not an entrepreneur?

We are all entrepreneurs in what so ever small start up we are into so far we have the bigger picture to change the world.

The Bible says we should not despise the days of little beginning.

cool smiley Smart response. Smart dude. I see a smart entrepreneur. You are going places if you stay focused and believe in your dreams. Remember, you will actualize your dreams while you are awake. Keep calm and carry on!

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Countess300: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2017
So because of this article I had to sign up to debunk what this well articulated individual put up. Thank you for taking your valuable time to educate as well as put people down who are struggling to start something even without them knowing they are entrepreneurs.

Reading comments and I see 70% of people understand what it means to be an entrepreneur. Putting down small business owners because they might never go PUBLIC is completely Ignorant and in Nigerian terms 'wicked'. Every big company started as a small business trying to make ends meet. Either through buying and selling or offering a service. There is so many factors seen or unforeseen that gets one person to another level and leaves the other struggling. What's most important is the individual in question and its first about character (Grits, Consistency, passion and the willingness to be open minded). Therefore we start off as 'Small Business owners transit to this title 'entrepreneur' way no hep anyone then something generational.

Dear writer pls allow everyone with their hustle whether na Akara woman who most likely fed you this morning and encourage people with your well constructed grammar.

Please if by anyway this person made you feel down kindly follow @Learnermeji www.blancandrouge.com to read about two Nigerian female hustlers give you real time experience about entrepreneurship.
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Queenlovely(f): 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2017
Most of the response on this thread are based on personal bias. A soft centre has been torched and their core belief have been shaken.
When I read peter drucker book, my whole world turned around. It is quite true their are many small business in nigeria. It doesn't matter whether they are big or small.they should all be termed merchant. Because they are after profits and are tapping into the market share of an already existing business. Entrepreneur are creative destroyers. They are problem solvers. They see things we dont. For example uber. They are disrupting the transport business. Entrepreneur are world changers.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Queenlovely(f): 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2017
Thanks op for making this topic simple to understand. Entrepreneurs make our life easy. They dont compete with anyone because they are Venturing into the unknown. But when they succeed, the merchant eat the crumb that falls from the table. When henry Ford popularized auto mobile. The horse riders were the merchants But henry Ford was an entrepreneur. He destroyed their means of livelihood while creating a new one. Entrepreneur is different from business man. I rest my case
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Queenlovely(f): 1:23pm On Jun 29, 2017
When the comedy industry was still at infancy. The trail blazer was ali baba. In short entrepreneur leads then merchants follow. They want to copy instead of carving a niche. Opening another new hotel is not entrepreneurship but changing the hotel business is. It doesn't matter if it is the most beautiful hotel. What problems are all these mum and pop shop solving? They just exist and hope the market can accommodate them also.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Gerrard59(m): 2:29pm On Jun 29, 2017
Queenlovely:
Most of the response on this thread are based on personal bias. A soft centre has been torched and their core belief have been shaken.
When I read peter drucker book, my whole world turned around. It is quite true their are many small business in nigeria. It doesn't matter whether they are big or small.they should all be termed merchant. Because they are after profits and are tapping into the market share of an already existing business. Entrepreneur are creative destroyers. They are problem solvers. They see things we dont. For example uber. They are disrupting the transport business. Entrepreneur are world changers.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I've same belief as OP, just that she gave examples of persons who are already established.
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by cdoffx(m): 3:23pm On Jun 29, 2017
hisMrs:
it pains me that u are pampering the OP with ur words, even if she was a science student, entrepreneurship is a compulsory course for every student, right from high sch to undergraduate level. This OP just chose to b ignorant.
Mumsie I just try being diplomatic so she could see the error she made rather than focusing on the various bashing she had gotten.
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by DAVE5(m): 6:57pm On Jun 29, 2017
Lalas247:

Her topic is so flawed I just shown my colleague this topic and they are laughing asking if that's how they think in Nigeria
I feel so embarrassed

She doesn't even know what a small business is .. sole trader , Ltd ..

Pls tell ur friends we don't think like that in naija but we definitely have some aproko over sabi pple like the op
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by jobbers: 7:50pm On Jun 29, 2017
hmmmm
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by Lalas247(f): 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2017
DAVE5:

Pls tell ur friends we don't think like that in naija but we definitely have some aproko over sabi pple like the op
haha ok I will smiley
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by hisMrs(f): 10:06pm On Jun 29, 2017
cdoffx:

Mumsie I just try being diplomatic so she could see the error she made rather than focusing on the various bashing she had gotten.
Popsi I do not see this a being bashed, she's only being corrected.
Re: Stop Calling Everyone An Entrepreneur by datola: 9:03am On Jul 01, 2017
newacca:

cool smiley Smart response. Smart dude. I see a smart entrepreneur. You are going places if you stay focused and believe in your dreams. Remember, you will actualize your dreams while you are awake. Keep calm and carry on!

Amen in Jesus name.

Thanks and God bless you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Surveying And Geoinformatics / Ladies Shouldn't Be Allowed To Be Judges / edit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.