Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,001 members, 7,814,413 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! (3832 Views)

5 Tips To Make Your CV Standout And Grab Employers Attention In 2020 / What Really Happens When You Lie On Your CV? / Want To Grab The Employer’s Attention With Your CV? Follow These Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by BizLifeE: 3:19pm On May 26, 2017
What do employers absolutely not want to see on a résumé?

Here are 13 of the best things to avoid that employers do not want to see on a resume.

DON’T:

Leave excess white space on your resume

Include a picture of your face (unless you are in European countries, that require it, or you are applying for a job as an actor.)

Use a resume generator

Use elaborate colors and fonts

Use the same verb twice at the beginning of a new phrase

Use Company specific jargon - generalize your job titles

Use too many verbs in a row

List every class you have ever taken, only relevant course to the position

Talk about your ‘goals’ in the summary section…if you even have a summary section

Include references on your resume, it is not the place

Include an interests section

Include the exact address, the city and state will suffice

Use an unprofessional and outdated email domain (EX:

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-do-employers-absolutely-not-want-to-see-on-a-r%C3%A9sum%C3%A9

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by Edopesin: 5:10pm On May 26, 2017
undecided

1 Like

Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by ednut1(m): 6:40pm On May 26, 2017
undecided undecided
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by ksstroud: 6:55pm On May 26, 2017
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by BiafraBushBoy(m): 7:00pm On May 26, 2017
Don't write skills like...
Team Player (Is it Liverpool or Man U or even Chelsea?)
Analytical/Objective reasoning (Who we go ask?)
Ability to spot details ( You be smart phone?)
lol... IT skills rock!!
Check it here
http://topwritersden.com/top-5-skills-in-nigeria-in-2017/

2 Likes

Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by yorex2011: 7:12pm On May 26, 2017
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by dingbang(m): 7:34pm On May 26, 2017
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by Nobody: 7:37pm On May 26, 2017
Forget all this format.
Read what matters in organised societies

5 to 7 minutes into the interview, the lady looked at me, shook her head and said the 3 words that means a decision is irrevocable...."I am Sorry".

When an Oyinbo looks at you and does a crisp wry smile that barely lasts a second, and then utters the 3 words....your fate is sealed.

You may not even see any movement across the lips, cheeks or face. But it must always come before the 3 words.

Anyway, those 3 words mean they cannot help you further, and there is no amount of begging, emotional appeal, crying or sentimental display that will make them change their minds.

"I am sorry, it is hard to believe that you have studied competitively for 17 straight years and you do not have a practicable experience that you can apply or adapt for the role you have applied for".

She glanced at my CV once again before looking at my boyish innocent face.

"Did you pay professional for this CV" she asked?

"No" I quipped. "A professional CV writer would have probably spotted my lack of experience....."

"Yeah, you are right. I agree". She interrupted me. "Honestly, it is hard to believe that your CV doesn't even show any holiday work experience. Sorry where are you from again if you don't mind?"

"Nigeria"

"Did you ever work during holiday?"

"No"

"And you are not a prince?"

"No" (Half smiling).

"Well, you are not the first from that area that I have interviewed in the last 12 years I have been doing this. All of you seemed to have that brain knowledge but without adequate work experience to match it".

To cut the long story short, she confessed to me that based on CV alone, I was the most qualified of the final 5 candidates, and I was the last to be interviewed. She was expecting a sweep off from me, but all I did was a whimper.

She gave me a business card and told me to use her as reference.

"They will help you to build up your experience with one of their jobs. We can't offer you this role. It will definitely go to one of the other fours with lower qualifications but right experience".

She crossed out some lines and changed some of the words in my CV to action words connoting responsibilities. She liked it she said, but it was empty in real substance.

She deflated me, and yet built me up. But I learnt my lesson! Though I missed out on being a pioneer HR Officer for that Raddison Hotel somewhere around Leicester Square, I still walked out full of hope.....but yet with deep anger towards the educational system that nurtured me on 6334 without adequately preparing me for challenges beyond book knowledge.

Please, I understand that LAUTECH and some other institutions are on strike, let the students go and do apprenticeship.

When one of my students during my lecturing days showed me his account, I nearly fainted. He was a builder, a plumber, and an electrician.

He only had lectures 3 days a week, the remaining four days were for his father's business. His dad gets a contract, and he worked full time like other employees so that most of the contract money won't go to strangers. They were from one of these Eastern European countries. I loved him more when he showed me the BMW he wanted to buy....CASH! I couldn't dare it!

Truth is, one can learn many of these artisans' trade whilst studying and gradually build experience and make money over time. What it means is that you will never be stranded anywhere.

In Israel, both males and females undergo intense military training by the time they are 18. Today, an average Israeli is a reserved combatant waiting for activation should their be a need for it regardless of the age.

To the fathers who have businesses, don't train other people's children alone, train yours too.

Don't send them to holiday lesson all the time. Only send to holiday lessons those that are academically weak. Nonetheless, find their strengths and build on those.

Mothers with shops in the market, take your daughters with you and allow them to handle customers, negotiate, make orders, and audit your stocks! That's part of what we call procurement here. Marketing, Customer Services, Communication, Auditing, Procurement skills and etc have just been added to their experience.

If you have an office, let your children go there during holiday to master administrative roles. Let them photocopy, take calls, fax, send emails, compose letters, receive letters and file documents in appropriate places. Administrative skills and Communication Skills, and Record Keeping skills have been added to the kitty.

Truth is, most of us were made to 'eat books' for years, but those made to use their brains will coordinate those that fed their brains only without other equipping processes being perfected.

Finally, one thing that bothers me most is the rationale behind the 9 subjects students are being forced to sit for in their final year exams! Why 9.

For instance, naturally, I loved Literature, Geography, History and Biology in my childhood. But at the most important and decisive stage of my life, I was forced by school system default to drop both Literature and History so that I could be more in line with the 'expectation' tailor-made for people like us.

If I have the power today, aside From English, and Maths which should be in 3 options - (Advance, Intermediate and Basic) - from which students can choose from, no student should be sitting for more than 5 subjects at maximum. In fact, the exams should be set in such a way that the students will have the opportunity to choose when they are ready to do it.

That means, an SSS 1 student who is mathematically gifted can do WAEC Maths Advance well ahead of time. And that means he can now sit down to study more on the remaining four subjects.

And if a JSS 3 student who wants to study French Literature in future is ready to have a crack at WAEC, such can do O' Level Basic Maths when he is ready so that he could concentrate more on equipping himself for French Literature! Of course, what does 2x + 5y - 3z has to do with someone who wants to major on French? Such student will spend years sitting for WAEC Maths and failing till frustration sets in and the dream fizzles out!

I just pray we can do the right thing for once in our lifetime. Let us find skills that will function well for us and many of the students kicked out of school could have continued until they get the spark to greatness.

Albert Einstein will be labeled dull, dyslexic, even autistic or schizophrenic, by a considerable number of today's experts and interested parties, thank God he lived during an age that 'organised education' was not in existence.

By Odejimi Hakeem Lanre

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by Luizkid(m): 8:18pm On May 26, 2017
@careytommy7, u've said it all. In Nigeria, we waste so many years reading irrelevant topics and subjects, i wonder why no Education minister till now has felt the need for a change of the system.
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by padi94(m): 9:15pm On May 26, 2017
And we have people looking for jobs here we spend all their days online... but none of us know how to commit to learning to use a simple Industry Standard Application... I weep for some of us... i am currently doing a self study on some of these apps

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by supereagle(m): 5:30am On May 27, 2017
padi94:
And we have people looking for jobs here we spend all their days online... but none of us know how to commit to learning to use a simple Industry Standard Application... I weep for some of us... i am currently doing a self study on some of these apps

Give me guides on these apps you are talking about.
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by forextrade11: 7:41am On May 27, 2017
Online Forex Trading Investment Opportunity.

Online Forex Trading Made Easy. Make A lot Cash Trading Forex from the Comfort of your Home.

We can manage your forex trading Account for you and give you a guaranteed profits for the rest of your life.

Our Money Management Forex Robot is the best Forex robot i have ever seen and used for over 6 years, with self Optimization and also the Best Forex Trading Broker for my forex Robot, is Tickmill forex broker, I personally prefer Tickmill forex broker, for all my trading needs with my forex robot.

We guarantee you 3 pips Profit Per day On Your Investment, for the rest of your life, with our robot and if there is any small loss, our robot immediately covers the loss, making the robot an unbeatable forex tool in the market.

When you combine my forex Robot and TickMill Forex Broker Together, Then you can never ever loose in Forex Trading, i Guarantee You .

You are in Control of your Funds, we only manage your account, so all you need to do is to monitor your trading account and withdraw your profits , as you wish.

you too can open your own LIVE account for your trading on tickmill free of charge and also get a 30usd no deposit welcome bonus, using this link here below;

https://secure.tickmill.com/redirect/index.php?cii=8527&cis=1&lp=https%3A%2F%2Ftickmill.com%2Fpromotions%2Fwelcome-account%2F

also make sure your fill in this code IB77599138, in the IB code number section during the second step of registration at Tickmill. so that you can get very great low commission and cash rebate.

When you combine my FX Robot along with the TickMill Forex Broker, then, your are 99% a winner in the forex market.

TICKMILL IB CODE IS IB77599138

If you need any assistance in opening your tickmill trading account and my settings for the Armageddon FX Robot , feel free to ask me questions through my email: forextradeprofitguaranteed@gmail.com i will help you.

===================================================================
===================
Our management Package goes, this way, we give you a guaranteed 30pips per day.

We will personally manage your trades for you on virtual private server, using Our EA( Expert Advisor). But you will pay per month for the VPS. Then a 5% of total profits, for service per year, after you must have started making profits. This payment is only made at the end of each year, from profits made.

All you need to do, is to open your Live Account with our EA preferred broker, Tickmill, using this link https://secure.tickmill.com/redirect/index.php?cii=8527&cis=1&lp=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.tickmill.com%2Ftrader%2F%3Ftask%3D1050%26lang%3D2 , then fund your account and send us details, we will host your account on our VPS, with MT4 and trade for you.

Kindly note, Our EA, IS NOT FOR SALE. We only use it to trade and manage clients accounts and its guaranteed for life, you can test with any amount from about 200USD upwards on a live account only, for as long as you wish.

Let me know your thoughts.

We at your service sir.
==============================================================================================

THIS IS A GUARANTEE.

==============================================================================================
CONTACT US BELOW;

FOREX TRADE EA.
Email Address: forextradeprofitguaranteed@gmail.com
Phone No: +13479194333
Skype Chat Id: forextradeprofitguaranteed@gmail.com
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by otimothy(m): 9:55am On May 27, 2017
I laugh at what the OP wrote.
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by AjalaJ(m): 10:52am On May 27, 2017
Despite the fact that some people are professional CV writers.
Re: Please Don’t Put This Information On Your CV! by Nobody: 4:57pm On May 27, 2017
careytommy7:
Forget all this format. Read what matters in organised societies
.........plz I wanna know if this step is right or wrong, perhaps I would have problem later.....I'm 23 years old now and I'm considering the years I will use to study EEE in higher institution....I guess i'll be 28 by then......I'm thinkn of backdating with 3 years so I'll be 25 then.. Then a known educationist asked me if I have enrolled BVN and national ID card with my real age and I said yes....then he said my step is ok but bvn and national id card may affect later. he now said if i can work it out with sworn affidavit and make my bank to change my details.....plz what do u think.....?? is my step right or i should just eat SOLO with my real age........Thanks

(1) (Reply)

U-connect Human Resources Ltd / Are You Interested In Working With RCCG? Here Is Your Opportunity / Who Got An Invite To Linda Ikeji Media Interview - Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.