Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,145 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View (6119 Views)

TB Joshua Crusade In Nazareth Israel: Churches, Islamic Cleric, Politicians Kick / Mayor Of Nazareth Hosts Prophet T.B Joshua In Israel(photos) / Why Haile Selassie I Is Jesus Christ Of Nazareth... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by MuttleyLaff: 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2017
adepeter26:
Some Christians will take you to be devil sir @bold.

I love your posts. Following
Most Christians know he aint the devil
because the devil doesnt post on NL

Sarassin:
Thanks, you're probably right!
Some Christians understand that, probably there's an angel on one shoulder
and a devil on the other
Also, probably hearing impairment, deafness or hearing loss in one ear too
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2017
In conclusion, the complete and utter disappearance of the genuine portrait of Jesus from biblical records is simply proof of the far-reaching Hellenization of the Jewish Messiah, this was a process which took place in the first centuries of the Church, beginning with Paul and indeed mainly through Paul.

What was forgotten was really, as Paul says, the Christ who appeared ' in the flesh ' and whom he would ' know no more.' (2 Corinthians 5:16). What was preached to the Gentiles was the glorified King of Kings, as he appeared to his most intimate disciples in the ecstatic vision on the top of Mt. Hermon and as he is now expected to appear at his second coming.
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Tampinu(m): 12:16am On Jul 14, 2017
Sarassin:

Even if we allow for the fact that Jesus’ ministry was short-lived, and it was, lasting no more than a year or two at the most, and the fact that his ministry was mostly subsumed within the Messianic movement of John the Baptist, it is not unreasonable to expect that contemporary secular historians would have made extraordinary attempts to place on record an historical account of a man who’s teachings were to so irretrievably change the world.

Those who doubt the existence of Jesus point to this paucity of historical accounts as evidence that Jesus never lived, those who believe in him point to the gospel accounts and the few extant secular sources such as Josephus, as evidence that Jesus did indeed live. Surely the view of a disinterested observer cannot be anything other than that, verifiable evidence provided so far, for or against the historicity of Jesus is simply insufficient. Personally, I accept that the Messiah lived and died but I do not agree with either side that the secular evidence provided so far is sufficient enough to substantiate a conclusion either way.

The question therefore remains to be asked; Apart from Gospel writers and early Church leaders who had an inherent bias (not necessarily a bad thing) in presenting Jesus of Nazareth in a particular light, what exactly do we know for a fact, about Jesus?

Greetings

I have been keenly followeing your writings on this forum with much admiration and interest, I must commend you for your philosophical and spritual insights. Religion is something I don't really like to discuss although I am more slanting towards spiritual ideas exchange.
Concerning your write up above, I have few comments that I would like to make and these will represent my personal opinion and experience.

Firstly, there is ample evidence that Jesus of Nazareth did live on this planet earth before eventually ascending to the heavens.
Secondly, I attest to the fact that Jesus does possess all the powers attributed to him both in folklore and written religious texts.
Thirdly, I subscribe to the viewpoint that Religious and secular accounts of Jesus' life are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Fourthly, that the true Jews to which race Jesus belonged are what we refer to in modern age as "Africans".

I can be contacted if these points listed above are deemed worthy of further discussions.

Keep up the good work, my friend

Peace

Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 14, 2017
Tampinu:
Greetings

I have been keenly followeing your writings on this forum with much admiration and interest, I must commend you for your philosophical and spritual insights. Religion is something I don't really like to discuss although I am more slanting towards spiritual ideas exchange.
Concerning your write up above, I have few comments that I would like to make and these will represent my personal opinion and experience.

Firstly, there is ample evidence that Jesus of Nazareth did live on this planet earth before eventually ascending to the heavens.
Secondly, I attest to the fact that Jesus does possess all the powers attributed to him both in folklore and written religious texts.
Thirdly, I subscribe to the viewpoint that Religious and secular accounts of Jesus' life are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Fourthly, that the true Jews to which race Jesus belonged are what we refer to in modern age as "Africans".

I can be contacted if these points listed above are deemed worthy of further discussions.

Keep up the good work, my friend

Peace

Thank you for your kind words. I do agree with you that discussion about religion can be fraught, people’s sensitivities have to be carefully considered, but I am always open to an exchange of spiritual ideas.

I agree broadly with your first point, I would say that there is some historical evidence that Jesus of Nazareth lived. But for me the issue of ascension (bodily) is problematic and more a question of belief.

On your second point, you attest to the fact that Jesus indeed had all the powers attributed to him, In my view going forward with historical sources we can be certain that Jesus was regarded as a great teacher or Rabbi of his day and that to some degree he performed healings and miracles, to what extent is impossible to determine. We can demonstrate that some miracles supposedly performed by Jesus could not have occurred in his life-span, for instance in the story of the miracle of the "coin in the mouth of the fish" we can establish that the setting for that story could not be earlier than the reign of the Emperor Domitian who was Roman Emperor from 81CE to 96CE long after the passing of Jesus.

There is the possibility that the miracles Jesus was said to have wrought were a compendium of miracles performed by others and then later attributed to Jesus, there are parallels for instance between the stories of Onias otherwise known as Honias the circle drawer. Onias was widely believed by people of his day to have performed at least one amazing miracle and to have the ability to perform more, he was a man of peace and was killed in Jerusalem at Passover. Consider the following statement from the Mishnah;

"Honi speaks to God as a son to a father this behaviour angers a person in power, who wants to punish him."

There were others too, Apollonius of Tyana was a first century CE teacher (Paul referred to him as Apollos) who had a miraculous birth, gathered disciples, taught wisdom, performed miracles, healed the sick, cast out demons, and raised the dead. After his death he was worshipped as a God. The story of Simon the Magus is completely misrepresented in biblical scripture.

Regarding your third point, there is a dearth of secular accounts of the life of Jesus but from the little we know it becomes clear that the Jesus of Nazareth that likely lived is largely unrecognisable from the Jesus portrayed in the gospels.

With respect to your fourth point, I would be interested to see your reasoning for your assertion.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Tampinu(m): 11:24am On Jul 14, 2017
Sarassin:

Thank you for your kind words. I do agree with you that discussion about religion can be fraught, people’s sensitivities have to be carefully considered, but I am always open to an exchange of spiritual ideas.

I agree broadly with your first point, I would say that there is some historical evidence that Jesus of Nazareth lived. But for me the issue of ascension (bodily) is problematic and more a question of belief.

On your second point, you attest to the fact that Jesus indeed had all the powers attributed to him, In my view going forward with historical sources we can be certain that Jesus was regarded as a great teacher or Rabbi of his day and that to some degree he performed healings and miracles, to what extent is impossible to determine. We can demonstrate that some miracles supposedly performed by Jesus could not have occurred in his life-span, for instance in the story of the miracle of the "coin in the mouth of the fish" we can establish that the setting for that story could not be earlier than the reign of the Emperor Domitian who was Roman Emperor from 81CE to 96CE long after the passing of Jesus.

There is the possibility that the miracles Jesus was said to have wrought were a compendium of miracles performed by others and then later attributed to Jesus, there are parallels for instance between the stories of Onias otherwise known as Honias the circle drawer. Onias was widely believed by people of his day to have performed at least one amazing miracle and to have the ability to perform more, he was a man of peace and was killed in Jerusalem at Passover. Consider the following statement from the Mishnah;

"Honi speaks to God as a son to a father this behaviour angers a person in power, who wants to punish him."

There were others too, Apollonius of Tyana was a first century CE teacher (Paul referred to him as Apollos) who had a miraculous birth, gathered disciples, taught wisdom, performed miracles, healed the sick, cast out demons, and raised the dead. After his death he was worshipped as a God. The story of Simon the Magus is completely misrepresented in biblical scripture.

Regarding your third point, there is a dearth of secular accounts of the life of Jesus but from the little we know it becomes clear that the Jesus of Nazareth that likely lived is largely unrecognisable from the Jesus portrayed in the gospels.

With respect to your fourth point, I would be interested to see your reasoning for your assertion.

Thanks for the dept of your response, as well as the prompness of your reply.

“The temple of the most high begins with the body which houses our life, the essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans, which was suppose to help people grow spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the Most High of Creation. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other…”

― Haile Selassie I

I am indeed very keen to discuss the points with you further and I ought to mention that there are other prophets in the Bible who did raise a dead person back to life; a notable example is Elisha (when he raised the dead son of the woman whose oil supply he had multiplied.

I am in a rush at the moment but will return in the evening to discuss with thee about the points that I raised.

Though I will expantiate on my fourth point re: Jews are Africans. Genesis 2:13 (KJV) tells us that Ethiopia is the first country mentioned in the Bible, Isaiah 41 tells us that the King of Kings would be raised in the "East" (Ethiopia), Psalm 87 tells us that "ETHIOPIA....This man (Jesus) was born there... Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia has fulfilled that prophesy by being born in Ethiopia and having rulership over all other Kings of the Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LAdFbK1aw

Racism is the only reason why people of the earth are unwilling or unable to accept the Ethiopian King as the true King of Kings .i.e, Jesus. Finally, the Biblicl book of "Revelations" revealled in 21:3 that "God HIMSELF (Not his spirit) shall be with them and be their God", just as Haile Selassie I has been with man and been man's god (The RastafarI adherents will attest to the fact that Haile Selassie I is "their" God, Not everyone's God but "their" own God, as stated in Revelation 21:3).

Then also, in the last page of the Bible Revelation 22:4 It talks about how man will see the face of God, this has been fulfilled as all have seen the face of Haile Selassie the Lion of Judah, King of Kings, King of Glory and Prince of Peace.

Also, it may interest you to learn about the [b]true [/b]Jews (African Falasha Jews or Beta Israel) Please see links below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_Israel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QliT5M5sJSU&t=770s

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Beta+Israel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs&gfe_rd=cr&ei=b55oWfF2odLwB42PhrgM&gws_rd=ssl

** On a slightly different note, I would like to have discuss with you further regarding the 6&7 Books of Moses and your experience with the sacred book.

We in Ethiopia have one of the oldest versions of the Bible, but however old
the version may be, in whatever language it may be written, the word
remains one and the same. It transcends all boundaries of empires and all
conceptions of race. It is eternal.

No doubt you all remember reading in the Acts of the Apostles of how Philip
baptised the Ethiopian official. He is the first Ethiopian on record to have
followed Christ, and from that day onwards the Word of God has continued
to grow in the hearts of Ethiopians. And I might say for myself that from
early childhood I was taught to appreciate the Bible and my love for it
increases with the passage of time. All through my troubles I have found it a
cause of infinite comfort. "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy
laden, and I will give you rest" ~ Who can resist an invitation so full of
compassion?

Because of this personal experience in the goodness of the Bible, I was
resolved that all my countrymen should also share its great blessing, and
that by reading the Bible they should find Truth for themselves. Therefore,
I caused a new translation to be made from our ancient language into the
language which the old and the young understood and spoke.

Today man sees all his hopes and aspirations crumbling before him. He is
perplexed and knows not whither he is drifting. But he must realise that the
Bible is his refuge, and the rallying point for all humanity. In it man will
find the solution of his present difficulties and guidance for his future
action, and unless he accepts with clear conscience the Bible and its great
Message, he cannot hope for salvation. For my part I glory in the Bible.

Haile Selassie I

Chat soon

Peace

Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 14, 2017
Tampinu:

Thanks for the dept of your response, as well as the prompness of your reply.

“The temple of the most high begins with the body which houses our life, the essence of our existence. Africans are in bondage today because they approach spirituality through religion provided by foreign invaders and conquerors. We must stop confusing religion and spirituality. Religion is a set of rules, regulations and rituals created by humans, which was suppose to help people grow spiritually. Due to human imperfection religion has become corrupt, political, divisive and a tool for power struggle. Spirituality is not theology or ideology. It is simply a way of life, pure and original as was given by the Most High of Creation. Spirituality is a network linking us to the Most High, the universe, and each other…”

― Haile Selassie I

Thank you for your reply. Who can argue with the words of the “Lion of Judah”?
Perhaps you can open another thread to discuss this and related issues. I am keen to keep this thread as an historical dissertation on Jesus of Nazareth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Tampinu(m): 2:28pm On Jul 15, 2017
Sarassin:

Thank you for your reply. Who can argue with the words of the “Lion of Judah”?
Perhaps you can open another thread to discuss this and related issues. I am keen to keep this thread as an historical dissertation on Jesus of Nazareth.

Thank you for the message and I am sorry if I have posted my reply in a section to which it is not relevant.

Peace & Love
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by ScienceWatch: 9:18pm On Aug 04, 2017
Sarassin:
Yet Philo does not say a word about Jesus, Christianity nor any of the events described in the New Testament. In all of his work, Philo does not make a single reference to his contemporary Jesus Christ who supposedly was up and down the Levant, exorcising demons, and raising the dead.

With his close connection to the house of Herod, one might reasonably expect that the miraculous escape from a royal prison of a gang of apostles (Acts 5:18,40), or the second, angel-assisted, flight of Peter, even though chained between soldiers and guarded by four squads of troops (Acts 12:2,7) might have gotten the odd mention. But not a murmur. Nothing even about the killing of "James brother of John" with the sword (Acts 12:1,2).

But perhaps in a manner of speaking, he did. In Flaccus VI (Works of Philo Judaeus) Philo wrote about the harassment of a mentally-deficient man named "Carabas." His tormentors put a purple robe on, made him a crown of leaves, saluted him and called him "King of the Jews." Philo's words are embarrassingly similar to the account of Jesus' harassment in the Gospel of Mark to be eventually copied by the authors of Matthew and Luke. Maybe Philo did write about Jesus. Perhaps the author of Mark got the inspiration for his account of the crucifixion from the works of Philo.
It would be interesting to hear your opinion on how Philo Alexandra's religious and political life affected how he recorded what was happening at the time especially about Jesus and Christians. Philo and his family had powerful political connections with the Romans, Jews and Greeks. Philo came from a wealthy and prominent family and was a leader in his community in Alexandria. Once he visited Jerusalem and the temple, as he himself stated in Prov. 2.64. Philo's brother, Alexander, was a wealthy, prominent Roman government official, a custom agent responsible for collecting dues on all goods imported into Egypt from the East. He donated money to plate the gates of the temple in Jerusalem with gold and silver.
He also made a loan to Herod Agrippa I, grandson of Herod the Great. Alexander's two sons, Marcus and Tiberius Julius Alexander were involved in Roman affairs. Marcus married Bernice, the daughter of Herod Agrippa I, who is mentioned in Acts (25:13, 23; 26:30). The other son, Tiberius Julius Alexander, described by Josephus as "not remaining true to his ancestral practices" became procurator of the province of Judea (46-48 C.E.) and prefect of Egypt (66-70 C.E.)

Philo attempts to harmonize the Mosaic and Platonic accounts of his generation of the world by interpreting the biblical story using Greek scientific categories and concepts. He elaborates a religious-philosophical worldview that became the foundation for the future Christian doctrine. Next Philo explains that men are "nourished by the whole word (Logos) of God, and by every portion of it ... Accordingly, the soul of the more perfect man is nourished by the whole word (Logos); but we must be contented if we are nourished by a portion of it"

My take is a person such as Philo Alexandra would not associate any of his writtings with Jesus or the Christians for obvious reasons dont you think ?
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by ScienceWatch: 9:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
Sarassin:
As it happens, we have an excellent witness to events in Judaea and the Jewish diaspora in the first half of the first century CE. It is of course Philo of Alexandria (25 BCE-47 CE).

Philo was already an old man when he led an embassy from the Jews to the court of Emperor Gaius Caligula. The year was 39-40 CE. Philo clearly, lived at precisely the time that Jesus of Nazareth would have enthralled the multitudes by performing miracles, and his eventual death.

He was also in the right place to give testimony of a messianic contender. He was a Jewish aristocrat and leader of the large Jewish community of Alexandria, we know that Philo spent time in Jerusalem where he had connections with the royal house of Judaea. His brother, Alexander the chief tax official, was one of the richest men in the east, in charge of collecting levies on imports into Roman Egypt. Alexander's great wealth financed the silver and gold sheathing which adorned the doors of the Temple (Josephus, War 5.205)

One of Alexander's sons, and Philo's nephews, Marcus, was married to Berenice, daughter of Herod Agrippa, tetrarch of Galilee. Another nephew was the "apostate" Julius Alexander Tiberius, Prefect of Egypt and also Procurator of Judaea itself (46-48 AD).
Philo wrote extensive apologetics on the Jewish religion and commentaries on contemporary politics. About thirty manuscripts and at least 850,000 words survive. Philo offers commentary on all the major characters of the Pentateuch and, as we might expect, mentions Moses more than a thousand times.

Could you please expand your views of the following ;

1)You say, "As it happens, we have an excellent witness to events in Judea."
I seriously doubt this view. Philo's writings was biased by his strong political and religious connections with the Romans, Jews and Greeks who all saw Christianity as a threat to their established beliefs.

2) You said, "Philo was also in the right place to give testimony of a messianic contender."
This could be the closest Philo Alexandria got to revealing his awareness of the Christ when he said, "The Logos is the first-begotten Son of the Uncreated Father: "For the Father of the universe has caused him to spring up as the eldest son, whom, in another passage, he [Moses] calls the first-born; and he who is thus born, imitating the ways of his father, has formed such and such species, looking to his archetypal patterns" (Conf. 63). This picture is somewhat confusing because we learn that in the final analysis the Creative Power is also identified with the Logos. The Creative Power is logically prior to the Regent Power since it is conceptually older."
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 05, 2017
ScienceWatch:

1)You say, "As it happens, we have an excellent witness to events in Judea."
I seriously doubt this view. Philo's writings was biased by his strong political and religious connections with the Romans, Jews and Greeks who all saw Christianity as a threat to their established beliefs.

Thank you for your comments. I am broadly inclined to agree with you that the argument is there to be made that Philo Judaeus was far from an impartial observer, his deep and persistent links to the Herodian family in particular deepens your argument.

However, when I state that we have an excellent witness to events in Judea it is predicated on my view that the self-same bias referred to are largely overrated, Philo Judaeus was first and foremost an historian. It is from him that we truly learn the excesses of Pilate as being corruptible and murderous, his links to the Romans did not prevent him from recording those excesses, we also learn from Philo that at least four other uprisings by Jewish insurgents and Messianic pretenders had been put down during the administration of Pilate, and brutally so. We should also consider that the time of Philo's writing, Christianity did not exist and at the time of writing Jesus of Nazareth would have been considered little more than a rabble-rouser, therefore in my view your argument that the authorities may have considered Christianity a threat to the established order is slightly after the fact.

Assuming that the gospel writers have been faithful in their recordings then Philo Judaeus would have been contemporaneous to biblical events of the first half of the first century. It is inconceivable that he would not have recorded some of the more momentous events of the time concerning Jesus of Nazareth, for instance, the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem that supposedly attracted the attention of Pilate and minded him to order the arrest and trial of the Messiah, is it possible that an historian of the calibre of Philo Judaeus would decline to record such an event out of a misguided loyalty? particularly when we know he had recorded similar events prior? assuming of course that the event truly happened as described in the gospels.

In addition, not only does Philo fail to mention Jesus of Nazareth, he does not mention any single event, action or reference any incident that is even remotely and tangentially in consonance with any known associates of Jesus of Nazareth, not the Disciples, Apostles or even the teachings of the Messiah. This for me is most bothersome.

ScienceWatch:
2) You said, "Philo was also in the right place to give testimony of a messianic contender."
This could be the closest Philo Alexandria got to revealing his awareness of the Christ when he said, "The Logos is the first-begotten Son of the Uncreated Father: "For the Father of the universe has caused him to spring up as the eldest son, whom, in another passage, he [Moses] calls the first-born; and he who is thus born, imitating the ways of his father, has formed such and such species, looking to his archetypal patterns" (Conf. 63). This picture is somewhat confusing because we learn that in the final analysis the Creative Power is also identified with the Logos. The Creative Power is logically prior to the Regent Power since it is conceptually older."

I do not believe that Philo Judaeus had previous awareness of a physical Jesus of Nazareth. He wrote mostly in allegory and we see his use of allegory persist in the writings of Origen who went on to bequeath us Typological allegory, a biblical method of exegesis where events in the past are used to foreshadow the future. This is what occurs when Philo uses the term “Logos” which in the Platonic sense in turn inferred from the father of Greek Philosophy –Heraclitus, is defined as “the reason to be”, distilled as “wisdom” and then personified as “Christ” the firstborn.

Philo Judaeus wrote that;

"The infant Moses may be recognised as divine by his form, his stature and his beauty, his appearance compelled passers-by to turn round and gaze at him".

We then consider Philo's description of the messianic return of the dispersed Israelites to the Holy Land as being;

conducted by an apparition more divine than is the manner of human nature, invisible to others and manifest only to those who are being saved.”

In other words the mysterious guide can be no other than the superhuman figure of Moses returned in the glorified shape of a spirit or an angel from heaven. Therefore Philo asserts that Moses, the re-born Messiah, will be visible only to the redeemed but concealed from the rest. There was nothing subtle about the theology or Gnostic sophistry of the Alexandrian Jew, it was clearly non-docetist in nature, this is why I state that he had no awareness of Jesus of Nazareth as Christ.
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by mekkfreshboy(m): 2:41pm On Dec 24, 2017
@ Sarassin.. are you Jewish?
Re: Jesus Of Nazareth - An Historical View by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 24, 2017
mekkfreshboy:
@ Sarassin.. are you Jewish?
No.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

For Believers: Bible Studies For Spiritual Growth / Is God Wicked For Doing This? / Ex-porn Actress, April Garris, Gives Glimpse Into The Demonic Side Of Porn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.