Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) (8539 Views)

Kwara Group Protest In Support Of Saraki's Corruption Trial (PICTURES) / Po-Military Group Protest Against Punch, Daily Trust, Leadership Newspapers / Ngozi Okonjo Iweala And Occupy Nigeria Group: Twitter Fight! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Fhemmmy: 9:39pm On Jan 16, 2010
complove:

This people are paid for by the nigeria govt and some are embassy people. so 10 people for nigeria. now call a protest for yoruba or biafra republic in london and see how many people would show up. 1000.

what are you trying to arrive at?
I hope you are not taking this into another tribal dump.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by ezeagu(m): 9:47pm On Jan 16, 2010
blacksta:

becomerich - i was expecting u at the protest yesterday

He's in Canada.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Fhemmmy: 10:19pm On Jan 16, 2010
ezeagu:

He's in Canada.

I wonder when canadians would do their own rally, or they just dont care.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Gbawe: 12:37pm On Jan 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Nigerians in the USA and Nigerians in Canada what is going on . . . . . Can we do our own too, plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I have to join the rally too, i am more than interested ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Your "own" dey happen in New York next Friday :

http://saharareporters.com/reports/press-releases/4858-save-nigeria-protest-in-new-york-on-friday-january-22nd-2010-at-the-nigerian-consulate-in-new-york.html

Save Nigeria protest in New York on Friday, January 22nd 2010 at the Nigerian consulate in New York

New York, NY, January 16th 2010: The Nigeria Democratic Liberty Forum (NDLF) is appalled by the current state of events in Nigeria and the apparent determination of a political cabal to continue to hold the nation hostage. Since 1999, when Nigeria returned again to democratic rule, the nation has continuously drifted away from the ideals of true nation building. The Nigerian masses are impoverished while a small sector of the political elite robs the commonwealth, thriving from Nigerians’ collective misery. The quality of life for most Nigerian remains deplorable. While other nations strive to face the challenges of the 21st century, Nigeria is bogged down by the avarice, greed and visionlessness of its political elite.

Every time Nigerians believe they have seen the worst from their country, the shameless opportunistic power grabbers take them to a new low. A few unconscionable Nigerians hold our country by the jugular, making a mockery of the people's dreams and aspirations. Government officials who rigged themselves into power persist in abusing public office and making life unbearable for the generality. Their singular motivation is to protect their access to the nation's wealth and to turn our banks into welfare centers for the privileged.

President Umar Yar'Adua, who has abandoned his duty post for over 50 days without handing over to his deputy, has left the country even more rudderless and adrift than it had been at any time in our history. By treating Nigeria like a playground, Yar’Adua and his cohorts have our country into a laughing stock in the international community. Nigeria was recently added to a list of countries deemed of interest as terrorist havens.

In the face of the colossal failure of leadership in Nigeria, it is imperative that all truly patriotic Nigerians answer the call to rise up and insist that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. As a minimum, we should demand that President Yar'Adua resign immediately.

To this end, we invite you to join Nigerians and friends of Nigeria on Friday January 22nd 2010 at 10.00am at the Nigeria Consulate in New York to express our outrage at the state of Nigeria and to declare that Nigeria deserves better. Come out and, with your presence and voice, announce yourself an agent of change in Nigeria.

EVENT: SAVE NIGERIA PROTEST

DATE: FRIDAY 22ND 20010

TIME: 10 AM

VENUE: NIGERIA CONSULATE, NEW YORK
828 Second Avenue New York, NY 10017

Signed

Bukola Oreofe

For further information please call

1. Dr. Adegboyega Dada
631-796-1122

2. Ms. Lilian Agbeyegbe

3. Dr. Willie Nwiido
347-598-4762

4. Dr. Genu Semako
718-781-2734
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Gbawe: 12:53pm On Jan 17, 2010
darkman200:

Nigerians in U.K are clowns, they just want their faces on tv or pictures, whatever they can get,

I can't speak for everyone but I think most of the Nigerians that showed up are certainly not  "clowns, who just want their faces on tv or pictures,". I would think most are driven by patriotism to act decisively and protest against the grave state of affairs in our nation. We have always been apathetic and many surmise that this is why our leaders misrule us brazenly. Now that Nigerians are showing a desire to confront oppressive rule some , like you , still prefer to insult them ungraciously when you should actually be commending the efforts of those who defied busy schedules to attend something they believe in. 

the protest should be in abuja if they are serious

Did you think before you wrote what you did above? Nigerians now live all over the world in large numbers . They don't have to fly back home to participate in events concerning Nigeria when their host nation , in deference to democracy and human rights, have no problem with diasporan Nigerians hosting their own parallel events peacefully. Next you will ask folks in London to go to China to eat Chinese food !!!!!
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by blacksta(m): 1:46pm On Jan 17, 2010
Gbawe:

I can't speak for everyone but I think most of the Nigerians that showed up are certainly not  "clowns, who just want their faces on tv or pictures,". I would think most are driven by patriotism to act decisively and protest against the grave state of affairs in our nation. We have always been apathetic and many surmise that this is why our leaders misrule us brazenly. Now that Nigerians are showing a desire to confront oppressive rule some , like you , still prefer to insult them ungraciously when you should actually be commending the efforts of those who defied busy schedules to attend something they believe in. 

Did you think before you wrote what you did above? Nigerians now live all over the world in large numbers . They don't have to fly back home to participate in events concerning Nigeria when their host nation , in deference to democracy and human rights, have no problem with diasporan Nigerians hosting their own parallel events peacefully. Next you will ask folks in London to go to China to eat Chinese food !!!!!

Nice one but i would not waste time on born losers - The movement of change does not require many but a few who are dedicated , united against bad goverance.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by otawa: 1:50pm On Jan 17, 2010
Thanks bros for responding accordingly,

I was gobsmacked reading their (Otawa & Darkman) posts and

the level of castigation over someone else's lil effort while sitting on their backsides and do nothing

Naija shaaa!

I have done many demo in my life, but Nigerian demo achieves NOTHING.

It lacks sustainablity, the aim is often confused and many do it to be seen.

If today they decide to sit-out in Abuja Airport Tarmac, I will join them.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by buffnaija: 1:56pm On Jan 17, 2010
jobless people.

wetin concern uk with yall problems.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by darkman200: 2:01pm On Jan 17, 2010
The point is, i'd rather participate in an event that will achieve result, i don't do stuff just for the sake of doing it, I believe protesting in countries that don't view us as serious people to begin with is not going to do much in bringing about the desired change in governance at home, I would join Soyinka and Co to protest in Abuja rather than do it in the street of London or New York, It's all about results guys, and @blacksta, you should stop talking like a born retard!
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by metalgong5(m): 2:11pm On Jan 17, 2010
darkman200:

The point is, i'd rather participate in an event that will achieve result, i don't do stuff just for the sake of doing it, I believe protesting in countries that don't view us as serious people to begin with is not going to do much in bringing about the desired change in governance at home, I would join Soyinka and Co to protest in Abuja rather than do it in the street of London or New York, It's all about results guys, and @blacksta, you should stop talking like a born retard!

Born retards, you can say that again.
As for the protesters, you guys should stop disrupting other peoples peace. . .Instead, I advise you all to embark on hunger protest in your homes. grin That would be more efficient.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Katsumoto: 2:30pm On Jan 17, 2010
darkman200:

I am surprised at your post. You may think that protesting in another country does not work but it does work. It brings things out into the open and embarasses individuals and corporations in the host country who continue to do business with corrupt officials. It also serves to correct negative opinions held by westerners about Nigeria. Nigeria has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons; if we, as citizens, keep quiet, who would fight for us.

Also, the Nigerian looters have left Nigeria under-developed and resort to travelling abroad for check-ups, to educate their children, and to spend their ill-gotten wealth. The more we shout to the rest of the world, the more it becomes difficult for the looters to do business as usual. Besides not everyone can go home to protest; there is nothing wrong in a peaceful protest in a foreign land.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by otawa: 3:09pm On Jan 17, 2010
I am surprised at your post. You may think that protesting in another country does not work but it does work. It brings things out into the open and embarasses individuals and corporations in the host country who continue to do business with corrupt officials.

Nope.

UK, US dont need protests from Nigerians. Their government have more info about Nigeria than Nigerians.

They simply refuse to act since it pays them.

If NIGERIANS want a change, they should go Nigeria as its where the change is needed.

Unless you can convince the US, UK that it is in their interest to support your change and this you cant do unless you become like mutallab!
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Katsumoto: 3:20pm On Jan 17, 2010
otawa:

Nope.

UK, US dont need protests from Nigerians. Their government have more info about Nigeria than Nigerians.

They simply refuse to act since it pays them.

If NIGERIANS want a change, they should go Nigeria as its where the change is needed.

Unless you can convince the US, UK that it is in their interest to support your change and this you cant do unless you become like mutallab!

The US, UK, and most countries in the west are not like Nigeria; they are influenced by their people. Their governments might have information about Nigeria but their citizens generally do not. It is up to us to challenge the wrong and damaging stereotypes held about us because our goverment and political class will not. Besides you have the right not to protest; don't stop those that want to do something.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by blacksta(m): 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2010
Katsumoto:

I am surprised at your post. You may think that protesting in another country does not work but it does work. It brings things out into the open and embarasses individuals and corporations in the host country who continue to do business with corrupt officials. It also serves to correct negative opinions held by westerners about Nigeria. Nigeria has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons; if we, as citizens, keep quiet, who would fight for us.

Also, the Nigerian looters have left Nigeria under-developed and resort to travelling abroad for check-ups, to educate their children, and to spend their ill-gotten wealth. The more we shout to the rest of the world, the more it becomes difficult for the looters to do business as usual. Besides not everyone can go home to protest; there is nothing wrong in a peaceful protest in a foreign land.

To butteress your point - On the day of the protest we had media resprentatives from various non nigerian media houses. The Nigerian Liberty forum is an active member of british society constantly engaging matters that concern Nigeria

1. Lobbying the government on the ongoing case against James Ibori and so many more
2. Making the U.k a less comfortable save heaven for corrupt politicians and associates

Nigerians will only be the effective medium that speak for Nigeria
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by monkeyleg: 6:49pm On Jan 17, 2010
Thanks Katsumoto and Blacksta for stressing the point, but I guess it still remains choice if one wants to get involved. It is not surprising then that Nigeria had remained the way it is cos, cos most of us dont find it necessary to get involved. We are waiting for someone else to fix Nigeria for us. Please often forgetting that nation building is an everyone excersize.

like I have often said, it is so easy to sit back do nothing and then see nothing good in what others have done.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 17, 2010
I'm loving this cheesy
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by tayoast(m): 11:21pm On Jan 17, 2010
Why are they bothering people in other countries

abi ooo. as if it 'll du us any good
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Avenir(m): 12:02am On Jan 18, 2010
otawa:

I have done many demo in my life, but Nigerian demo achieves NOTHING.

It lacks sustainablity, the aim is often confused and many do it to be seen.

If today they decide to sit-out in Abuja Airport Tarmac, I will join them.

Who are you waiting for to organise the Abuja Airport Tarmac demo? Still sitting on your arse waiting for Godot? And yet you critisize those doing something even if what they are doing is not effective. If all the protest achieves is to motivate you to do your own sit-out at Abuja Airport Tarmac, then it would have been very successful.

metal-gong:

Born retards, you can say that again.
As for the protesters, you guys should stop disrupting other peoples peace. . .Instead, I advise you all to embark on hunger protest in your homes. grin That would be more efficient.

Please read what you’ve written again and tell me if it does not sound like the writing of an im-be-ci-le.

tayo_ast:

abi ooo. as if it 'll du us any good

Who are the us? Are you part of the ruling class? I’ll tell you what it will achieve. It will shame the guys in Abuja that they’ll be forced to act. If you think the protest will be more effective in Abuja, why don’t you organise one there with Otawa, Metal-gong and Darkman-200?
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by ladej(m): 12:41am On Jan 18, 2010
blacksta:

To butteress your point - On the day of the protest we had media resprentatives from various non nigerian media houses. The Nigerian Liberty forum is an active member of british society constantly engaging matters that concern Nigeria

1. Lobbying the government on the ongoing case against James Ibori and so many more
2. Making the U.k a less comfortable save heaven for corrupt politicians and associates

Nigerians will only be the effective medium that speak for Nigeria
God bless you and thanks for the pictures and the initiative. you played your part, thats the main thing. you can look yourself in the mirror and say, 'i did something'. God bless you
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by londoner: 12:50am On Jan 18, 2010
Well done people, wish I was there.

To the people saying it should be in Nigeria, why was it in the Uk? You obviously are not familiar with Whitehall/ parliament square. People from countries around the world protest there almost every week! There is a permanent demo there for the Afghan people. Also demo's by the Sudanese, Zimbabweans, Chinese, Sri Lankans etc, this is what that place is used for, especially because of its proximity to the houses of parliament and number ten. People from other countries demonstrate there all the time, especially when the "home country" does not listen to its people.

Well done Nigerians, !!!!!
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by ladej(m): 12:55am On Jan 18, 2010
londoner:

Well done people, wish I was there.

To the people saying it should be in Nigeria, why was it in the Uk? You obviously are not familiar with Whitehall/ parliament square. People from countries around the world protest there almost every week! There is a permanent demo there for the Afghan people. Also demo's by the Sudanese, Zimbabweans, Chinese, Sri Lankans etc, this is what that place is used for, especially because of its proximity to the houses of parliament and number ten. People from other countries demonstrate there all the time, especially when the "home country" does not listen to its people.

Well done Nigerians, !!!!!
thank you my brother. when MANDELA[b][/b] was in prison singers far and wide recorded songs, actors acted movies, protests were done both in SOUTH AFRICA AND THE WHOLE WORLD[b][/b]. those songs, movies, paintings, t shirts, posters forced the arm of the ruling evil bastards who eventually after 27 long painful years released him. we need more of these. more, more, more. our singers need to sing,p square, dbanj etc. CAN YOU SEE WHY NO ONE IN NAIJA HOLDS A CANDLE TO FELA, OH HOW I WISH MY FELA WAS STILL ALIVE.[b][/b]
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Katsumoto: 1:11am On Jan 18, 2010
ladej:

thank you my brother. when MANDELA[b][/b] was in prison singers far and wide recorded songs, actors acted movies, protests were done both in SOUTH AFRICA AND THE WHOLE WORLD[b][/b]. those songs, movies, paintings, t shirts, posters forced the arm of the ruling evil bastards who eventually after 27 long painful years released him. we need more of these. more, more, more. our singers need to sing,p square, dbanj etc. CAN YOU SEE WHY NO ONE IN NAIJA HOLDS A CANDLE TO FELA, OH HOW I WISH MY FELA WAS STILL ALIVE.[b][/b]

You just brought back some nostalgic feelings.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by ladej(m): 1:12am On Jan 18, 2010
just to add the following acts recorded music for Mandela, and they didn't do it in south Africa neither were they south africans. people think, think, think !

Musical tributes [ from wikipedia]

Many artists have dedicated songs to Mandela. One of the most popular was from the The Specials who recorded the song "Free Nelson Mandela" in 1983. Stevie Wonder dedicated his 1985 Oscar for the song "I Just Called to Say I Love You" to Mandela, resulting in his music being banned by the South African Broadcasting Corporation.[166] In 1985, Youssou N'Dour's album Nelson Mandela was the Senegalese artist's first United States release.

In 1988, the Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute concert at London's Wembley Stadium was a focal point of the anti-apartheid movement, with many musicians voicing their support for Mandela.[167] Jerry Dammers, the author of Nelson Mandela, was one of the organisers.[167] Simple Minds recorded the song "Mandela Day" for the concert,[167] Santana recorded the instrumental "Mandela",[167] Tracy Chapman performed "Freedom Now", dedicated to Mandela and released on her album Crossroads,[167] Salif Keita from Mali, who played at the concert, later visited South Africa and in 1995 recorded the song "Mandela" on his album Folon.[167] and Whitney Houston performed and dedicated the gospel song "He I Believe".

In South Africa, "Asimbonanga (Mandela)" ("We Have Not Seen Him"wink became one of Johnny Clegg's most famous songs, appearing on his Third World Child album in 1987.[168] Hugh Masekela, in exile in the UK, sang "Bring Him Back Home (Nelson Mandela)" in 1987.[169] Brenda Fassie's 1989 song "Black President", a tribute to Mandela, was hugely popular even though it was banned in South Africa.[170] Nigerian reggae musician Majek Fashek released the single, "Free Mandela", in 1992, making him one of many Nigerian recording artists who had released songs related to the anti-apartheid movement and to Mandela himself.

In 1990, Hong Kong rock band Beyond released a popular Cantonese song, "Days of Glory". The anti-apartheid song featured lyrics referring to Mandela's heroic struggle for racial equality.[171] The group Ladysmith Black Mambazo accompanied Mandela to the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in Oslo, Norway in 1993, and performed for his inaugaration in 1994. In 2003, Mandela lent his weight to the 46664 campaign against AIDS, named after his prison number. Many prominent musicians performed in concerts as part of this campaign.[172]

A summary of Mandela's life story is featured in the 2006 music video "If Everyone Cared" by Nickelback.[173]Raffi's song "Turn This World Around" is based on a speech given by Mandela where he explained the world needs to be "turned around, for the children".[174] A tribute concert for Mandela's 90th birthday took place in Hyde Park, London on 27 June 2008.[175]
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by asunaobi(m): 1:28am On Jan 18, 2010
Good Stuff!
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by pete(m): 2:49am On Jan 18, 2010
[b]Its a shame that, some folks actually think that, protest regarding the status of Nigeria should be done only at the shores of Nigeria. Once again, some of these posters barely know anything about international relations between countries. I should not say anymore, but thank the few guys who tried to enlighten these guys, by even citing the rallies for Nelson Mandela
A chuck of the problems we have today came from the WEST.

In the colonial days, they did not stay in the their countries and dream or talk about our resources, rather they came over and looted. We can't stay in there now, we must let them know whats happening.

When "Yaradua" needed to speak, he did not call NTA, he called BBC, you kidding?

When Ibori looted, he went to London to starch the money away

As another poster had noted, we need to let the world know that, "its no longer at ease" and we know that, they-foreign govts.- have a role to play in all these. I personally think it's intellectually juvenile to say we should not protest overseas.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by whiteroses(f): 3:59am On Jan 18, 2010
you people, oya start identifying your parent, go on dont be shy lol cheesy

by the way why are they in trafalgar square? they cant match into the city of london if they are so sure?, anyway welldone, i trust nigerians will never keep silent
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Obalende: 4:40am On Jan 18, 2010
abeg UK organize more protests, guys in US do so also so US & UK will send military (including 3rd infantry division) to bomb aso rock & topple d government & put in US controlled Government - at least better than what we currently have.
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by BTT(m): 6:34am On Jan 18, 2010
I am very impressed. It's high time our govt realised they are ruling humans and not trees. Let them know we are living humans whatever part of the world we are.

Learnt Lagos is holding one on thursday too and i am going to be there.

God bless true NIGERIANS
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Ojumiii(m): 7:53am On Jan 18, 2010
Thanks lovers of Nigeria, we support you in your steps to make Nigeria a great nation,

may Nigeria stand again, Amen
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by methodyk: 8:47am On Jan 18, 2010
Great effort brothers, i believe time fr positive change is at hand!!!!
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by Wrex(m): 9:29am On Jan 18, 2010
i think our guys in foreign land(s) are just waking up but i see them as cowards hiding in other people's country, they should have come to nigeria so that we can all come together and fight this useless leadersangry angry
Re: Save Nigeria Group Protest @ London Uk (pictures) by symbianDON(m): 10:06am On Jan 18, 2010
to all the initiators of the SAVE NIGERIA GROUP, i say a big well done. to all the protesters both in Abuja and London, you could not have done better. i wish nigerians both home and abroad could unite and do protests like these ones everywhere. it is high time we told our tyrant leaders a few home truths: we are not the fools they think we are and we are not complacent either! to those who do not see any good in the protests, the bad news is this: you and i are the last thing on the minds of our leaders. they are only worried about how to loot more and more and they do not care whose ox is gored. if we do not emancipate ourselves who will do it for us?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fuel Subsidy And Exchange Rate / Sokoto, Enugu, Imo Govs Join Catholic Bishop Of Umuahia For "Iri Ji Mbaise Festi / Osinbajo Advocates Videoconferencing Software For Nigerian Courts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.