Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything (34392 Views)

The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read / 5 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything / 7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by youngstarlit(m): 6:01pm On May 27, 2017
It is one thing to read a book and another to remember everything you read. A lot of motivation is lost when you read a book only to find out that you cannot recall what you read even at the shortest period of time. It is a common event among many students and this has led to the conclusion, "If I read, I'll forget because I have low retentive memory" . This statement is however not true! Yes, no one has low retentive memory.
While some forget everything they read, others can recall it easily. Have you ever wondered why this happens? A lot of students who fail examinations have reported they do read but forget everything they read which is why I have decided to write this article. Trust me, if you can follow this article to the end and put the guidelines into action, your retentive power will surely increase.

1. READ TO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND
Your mindset when reading speaks on whether you will remember or forget what you are reading. A question you should ask is, "What should my mindset be while reading? ".
The answer to this question is the key to unlock your hidden power of remembrance. Your aim of reading should be to gain knowledge. You may want to ask, "Am I not aiming to gain knowledge while reading? Of course you are!. But, you are gaining knowledge only to pass examination!
Many reader who are yet to discover their hidden power of remembrance have the mindset of reading in order to pass their examination which makes them to cram rather than understand the content of the book. As a result, they forget everything they read immediately after the examination which has led to a common saying among students when you ask them questions, "I was taught last term/session, I have forgotten".
"Therefore, change your mindset while reading. Read to gain knowledge, make sure you understand the concept of what you are reading and don't just read to pass an examination"

2. DO NOT SKIP A SENTENCE
Students regard some of the information in a book as "story" and decide to skip them. This is common especially when reading for examination. Before you can understand and remember what you read, just have to read enough. The secret is, "The more you read, the more you understand and the more you remember" . You cannot read four sentences and expect to know five. So, neglect the belief of regarding some of the content of a book as story because
there are hidden secrets in every sentence!

3. WRITE IT DOWN
Research has proven that writing down what you are reading helps you to remember more. After reading for several minutes, try to write down everything you have read without looking at it(Writing it in your own word is allowed). This will help you to know the part you don't understand, so you can go over it again. This is a very effective method which I have been using for quite a long time and I am sure it will work for you!.

4. EXPLAIN IT TO YOURSELF
If you have been forgetting what you read, it is because you either crammed it or you did not understand. After reading for a while, try to explain to yourself, it will help you to know if you really understand the concept of what you are reading.
5. TAKE A BREAK

Readings for 10hours without taking a break does not make you a bookworm but I'll rather call it a waste of time. Yes, a waste of time!. Your brain is a biological organ and not a machine, it also gets tired. Effective reading habit should be cultivated as it is more yielding. When I say effective reading, after reading for 1-2hours, you tend to lose concentration when your brain gets stressed. Don't force yourself to continue reading but just take reading but just take a 10-30minutes break depending on you until you feel relaxed and good to go again. After the break, try to recall everything you have read before the break, then you can proceed with your reading.

6. USE MNEMONICS AND SONGS
Mnemonic is a technique used to remember what you read very quickly and accurately. This is especially used to remember listed items. You can easily remember the activity series of metals by using the mnemonic- "King Nelson Can Make A Zoo For Some..." where the letters in Capital form represent the symbol for the metal which are "K-Potassium, N-Sodium, Ca-Calcium, M-Magnessium, A-Aluminium, Z-Zinc, F-Iron, S-Tin..." It is very easy to know the mnemonic than knowing how to list the metals using their names.
Music is also efficient method. You'll agree with me that most of the rhymes your we're taught still sticks to your brain because of the use of music. If you were not taught like that, you'll have forgotten everything.

I will like to drop my pen here. Kindly visit my blog @ www.classicinfospot..com for more articles and don't forget to use the comment box.

Source: http://classicinfospot..co.ke/2017/05/10-proven-ways-to-read-effectively-and.html

83 Likes 21 Shares

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Oladipo1166(m): 6:54pm On May 27, 2017
nice one
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by theodara001(f): 7:40pm On May 27, 2017
Okay. Thanks

1 Like

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by jendor4sure: 8:48pm On May 27, 2017
People will not flock in here to comment because it's not about boobs n pu***y. Well done jare OP

#wagbayi

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by youngstarlit(m): 9:02pm On May 27, 2017
Thanks guy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by IdeeEsperanza(m): 9:52pm On May 27, 2017
This should make front-page.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 27, 2017
[color=#000000][/color]
please help move to FP.it might be of help to secoundary student and university freshers...
cc:lalasticlala,seun,mynd4

2 Likes

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 27, 2017
jendor4sure:
People will not flock in here to comment because it's not about boobs n pu***y. Well done jare OP

#wagbayi
[s]
jendor4sure:

#wagbayi
[/s]
jendor4sure:

#wagbayi
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by dahcalculator: 11:44pm On May 27, 2017
whoa!!!.. Nice one
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by obinna58(m): 11:52pm On May 27, 2017
1 and 2 z very important, others are manageable
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by CertifiedFreak(m): 1:07am On May 28, 2017
Should solve my problem
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Depreacherman(m): 1:48am On May 28, 2017
You won't still remember all, you can only remember more!

4 Likes

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Aniexcels01(m): 2:11am On May 28, 2017
Wow! one of my best teachers at school taught me some of these reading skills. I'll never forget the use of Mnemonics. It helps a lot. Thanks a great deal bro for the reminder!
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Aminu212: 4:57am On May 28, 2017
Thanks op. Nice one.

Also if this one does not solve your problem, i have a juju for it.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by youngstarlit(m): 5:20am On May 28, 2017
Thanks.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by LilSmith55(m): 5:44am On May 28, 2017
Nice info, òp ur head dey dere
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 6:42am On May 28, 2017
Drink Water and plenty of it...

1 Like

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 7:38am On May 28, 2017
Nice one op... Had a similar list of improving reading skills during my 100level days. Gst 101... Exception of number 6 tho..very insightful
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Ephramed(m): 7:40am On May 28, 2017
happy sunday everyone

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Youngdream1: 7:43am On May 28, 2017
Listen to music while you read.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by abdeiz(m): 7:44am On May 28, 2017
Nice one op, and to the mods too for moving this to the FP.

Many people do not realise this but it'd help them.

Come to think of it, the reading culture is dead in this country and expo culture is now in vogue.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Amosjaj(m): 7:44am On May 28, 2017
M
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by crazyABO(m): 7:45am On May 28, 2017
We have different way of assimilation what works for u might not work for me wink

1 Like

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by babablogger: 7:51am On May 28, 2017
Lol at No 6 na when you suppose remember na only the song go dey come your head
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by SEYILIGHT(m): 7:54am On May 28, 2017
Not bad!
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Mhissgaga(f): 7:57am On May 28, 2017
Nice piece
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by generaluthman: 8:00am On May 28, 2017
Okay
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by FitnessDoctor: 8:00am On May 28, 2017
I just love this ... very nice one..

From my experience, the best way to read and remember is to create a reading style that is unique to yourself, because you will always remember something you created... It is like seeing pink and saying No! that you don't do pink but red...

Don't do same thing that others do, because some people (e.g me) are able to control their mind and spend hours going through books.. While others find it hard to sit down and go through them for a while...

So when you create your style, set a goal for yourself... I mean a goal like... I am reading to get As or I am reading to get Bs or I am reading to get Cs. then this will help you stay in track because you will always remind yourself of what it take to get such..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by adedayoa2(f): 8:02am On May 28, 2017
Thank you jare

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Poly Nasarawa 2012/2013 Admission / OAU Student Disguised As "Supervisor" Caught Stealing Phones During Exams (vid) / Picture Of A Teacher Presenting A Pant To A Student As A Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.