Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,591 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything (34402 Views)

The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read / 5 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything / 7 Ways To Remember Everything You Read In The Exam Hall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by KHALIFORNIA(m): 8:07am On May 28, 2017
wonderful article smiley
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by EMriss(m): 8:13am On May 28, 2017
Nice one... God helped me with gr8 use of no. 4 when i do it peps tink m crazy but dats my secret i rep kadpoly the spiders#
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by polydoctor(m): 8:23am On May 28, 2017
Very intresting article, i like this idea because my room mate taught me most of them during my ND days.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Akinwotu91(m): 8:25am On May 28, 2017
Interesting
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by CzarChris(m): 8:30am On May 28, 2017
No 3 works like a charm.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 8:32am On May 28, 2017
nothing works better for me that discussing with a friend. if I don't do that,i tend to forget easily.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by EmekaMD(m): 8:40am On May 28, 2017
Yes..
The best method that helped me in med school was "association".

I tried to associate every single detail with the simple and everyday things around me.

For example: the nerve supply to the private part is called pudendal nerve..
So I told my self that it's nerve to the "poo" area (even though I meant penile and vaginal area)
The emphasis is on the relationship btw the sounds of the words "poo" and "pudendal"

It doesn't have to make sense to any other person. It only have to serve u to remember the dam shit..

So if u learn how to associate every single detail with the common things u can be easily think of and remember, you're sure to remember everything u read..

Try this method and Thank me later.. hehe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by costal(m): 8:47am On May 28, 2017
Thanks for this piece
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 8:56am On May 28, 2017
GST da year.......still works perfectly
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 8:57am On May 28, 2017
chai !!! have finally found the weapon to defeat Anatomy, Physiology and Pharmacology
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 8:59am On May 28, 2017
undecided
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Natzsmart1(m): 9:00am On May 28, 2017
Lovely thanks
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 9:01am On May 28, 2017
youngstarlit:
It is one thing to read a book and another to remember everything you read. A lot of motivation is lost when you read a book only to find out that you cannot recall what you read even at the shortest period of time. It is a common event among many students and this has led to the conclusion, "If I read, I'll forget because I have low retentive memory" . This statement is however not true! Yes, no one has low retentive memory.
While some forget everything they read, others can recall it easily. Have you ever wondered why this happens? A lot of students who fail examinations have reported they do read but forget everything they read which is why I have decided to write this article. Trust me, if you can follow this article to the end and put the guidelines into action, your retentive power will surely increase.

1. READ TO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND
Your mindset when reading speaks on whether you will remember or forget what you are reading. A question you should ask is, "What should my mindset be while reading? ".
The answer to this question is the key to unlock your hidden power of remembrance. Your aim of reading should be to gain knowledge. You may want to ask, "Am I not aiming to gain knowledge while reading? Of course you are!. But, you are gaining knowledge only to pass examination!
Many reader who are yet to discover their hidden power of remembrance have the mindset of reading in order to pass their examination which makes them to cram rather than understand the content of the book. As a result, they forget everything they read immediately after the examination which has led to a common saying among students when you ask them questions, "I was taught last term/session, I have forgotten".
"Therefore, change your mindset while reading. Read to gain knowledge, make sure you understand the concept of what you are reading and don't just read to pass an examination"

2. DO NOT SKIP A SENTENCE
Students regard some of the information in a book as "story" and decide to skip them. This is common especially when reading for examination. Before you can understand and remember what you read, just have to read enough. The secret is, "The more you read, the more you understand and the more you remember" . You cannot read four sentences and expect to know five. So, neglect the belief of regarding some of the content of a book as story because
there are hidden secrets in every sentence!

3. WRITE IT DOWN
Research has proven that writing down what you are reading helps you to remember more. After reading for several minutes, try to write down everything you have read without looking at it(Writing it in your own word is allowed). This will help you to know the part you don't understand, so you can go over it again. This is a very effective method which I have been using for quite a long time and I am sure it will work for you!.

4. EXPLAIN IT TO YOURSELF
If you have been forgetting what you read, it is because you either crammed it or you did not understand. After reading for a while, try to explain to yourself, it will help you to know if you really understand the concept of what you are reading.
5. TAKE A BREAK

Readings for 10hours without taking a break does not make you a bookworm but I'll rather call it a waste of time. Yes, a waste of time!. Your brain is a biological organ and not a machine, it also gets tired. Effective reading habit should be cultivated as it is more yielding. When I say effective reading, after reading for 1-2hours, you tend to lose concentration when your brain gets stressed. Don't force yourself to continue reading but just take reading but just take a 10-30minutes break depending on you until you feel relaxed and good to go again. After the break, try to recall everything you have read before the break, then you can proceed with your reading.

6. USE MNEMONICS AND SONGS
Mnemonic is a technique used to remember what you read very quickly and accurately. This is especially used to remember listed items. You can easily remember the activity series of metals by using the mnemonic- "King Nelson Can Make A Zoo For Some..." where the letters in Capital form represent the symbol for the metal which are "K-Potassium, N-Sodium, Ca-Calcium, M-Magnessium, A-Aluminium, Z-Zinc, F-Iron, S-Tin..." It is very easy to know the mnemonic than knowing how to list the metals using their names.
Music is also efficient method. You'll agree with me that most of the rhymes your we're taught still sticks to your brain because of the use of music. If you were not taught like that, you'll have forgotten everything.

I will like to drop my pen here. Kindly visit my blog @ www.classicinfospot..com for more articles and don't forget to use the comment box.

Source: http://classicinfospot..co.ke/2017/05/10-proven-ways-to-read-effectively-and.html
Awon slay queens won't like this..
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Sheenor: 9:01am On May 28, 2017
Beautiful piece. Nice one coming from the Op...
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Kowor(f): 9:14am On May 28, 2017
And what if it's calculations?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 9:14am On May 28, 2017
Some people may not still remember what they read in this post

1 Like

Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by chimeziedickson: 9:19am On May 28, 2017
Nice write up
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by youngstarlit(m): 9:29am On May 28, 2017
The post has been updated, you can read it on my blog @ classicinfospot..com
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by AleeDee(m): 9:30am On May 28, 2017
No 3 is on point. Bt I used to summarise b4 readin it.
No 4, instead of xplainin it to myself, I used to xplain it to some1 else while holdin my summary nd makin corrections whr necessary.
No 5, I tink my RAM is 16MB nd processor is 128MHz cos my brain offs nd knocks in 1hr nd ntn enters again

Good 1 op
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by majiya123(m): 10:09am On May 28, 2017
Thank,
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by sainty2k3(m): 10:12am On May 28, 2017
CzarChris:
No 3 works like a charm.
Yea. But if u are studying law or medicine how many things you wan write down
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Nobody: 10:48am On May 28, 2017
If only books were songs
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by afelele9(m): 10:49am On May 28, 2017
NICE 1
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by saintnwiwe: 10:57am On May 28, 2017
kudos
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Israel4desmond(m): 11:12am On May 28, 2017
Crammers Rule.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Midumighty(m): 11:16am On May 28, 2017
nice exposure.kip it up
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by donttouch: 11:18am On May 28, 2017
Good
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by Quinn22(f): 11:32am On May 28, 2017
Op the best thing about your write up is that those 6 points are actually effective and it works! smiley

You will not only remember but you will remember for a long period of time, using those 6 effective ways to absorb knowledge would make what you've read to be installed in the long term memory unlike cramming.
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by ogaontop(m): 11:50am On May 28, 2017
This is very informative
Re: 6 Effective Ways To Read And Remember Everything by estherhadassah(f): 12:15pm On May 28, 2017
nice one it will really help me

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Picture Of A Teacher Presenting A Pant To A Student As A Prize / After Graduating With A 2.1 In Engineering, What Next? / OAU Student Disguised As "Supervisor" Caught Stealing Phones During Exams (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.