Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics (2412 Views)

N500b COVID-19 Fund: Senate Bars Journalists From Nat. Assembly(Photos) / Biafran Memorial Day -Speech By Igbo-American Soldier / Mohammed, An Igbo-American Non Muslim, Was Atlanta Mayor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by nigerdeltaaa: 12:34pm On May 28, 2017
Nat Turner: Igbo-American Warrior and Freedom Fighter

"In August 21, 1831, Nat Turner led a revolt in Virginia that killed approximately 60 whites. In accordance with his Igbo (Egbo) origins, Turner bestowed upon himself the honors of Odogo (Odogwu) a ceremonial ritual in which an Igbo warrior places feathers in his cap to signify the killing of a person of rank in war. After killing Hark Travis, the head of the Travis farm, Turner placed feathers in his cap and a red sash around his waist."

REFERENCE:
Nat Turner & B.L.A (Historic Marker, igbo Odogwu Ritual, Libation, Resistance) - Haki Kweli Shakur

POETRY :
"In scary night I wandered, praying,
Lord God my harshener,
speak to me now or let me die;
speak, Lord, to this mourner.

And came at length to livid trees
where Ibo warriors
hung shadowless, turning in wind
that moaned like Africa,"
"The Ballad of Nathan Turner" by Robert Hayden
MOVIE:
The Birth of a Nation (2016)

IGBO WARRIORS OF OLD:
"One distinguishing rank among the Egboes is the Odogo, or captain of war, of which there are several grades; the title is distinguished by the individual carrying on his cap a long feather, which signifies that the wearer has killed in war a person of rank. These feathers are either white or red. The highest rank of captain, equal to a general, wears six, and the field-marshal is entitled to display seven. To perpetuate their valour in war, not having any written chronicle to leave their name to posterity, they plant a young bombax whenever they kill an enemy of consequence."

REFERENCE:
West African Countries and Peoples,by James Africanus Beale Horton, Page 179, Published 1868
"Warriors of renown are respected and honoured, and happy is the man entitled to don the eagle's plumes and the red tail-feathers of the parrot, in token of his prowess in battle. In life he enjoys special privileges, and in death is granted the dignity of a warrior's funeral."

REFERENCE:
Amongst the Ibos of the Niger by GT Basden, page 205, Published 1921

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by hornyofife: 12:49pm On May 28, 2017
I dont mean to derail this thread but am tempted to ask why other Nigerians don't show interest into digging into their history like the igbos do.
Especially as regards their great exploits in the past under colonial rule and their great men of reckoning. Outside bishop Ajayi crowther and Nathaniel Akinremi Fadipe but not much is known about Akinremi Fadipe asides these two, i doubt i know of any. Or is it that they were not documented?
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Nobody: 12:49pm On May 28, 2017
Man! Oyibo too good. Keeping records of observed Eboe traits and traditions right from the 1800s/20th century.

7 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 28, 2017
Igbo people and revolution! Just as they revolted in 1966 and are revolting now!
Igbo man loves his freedom. Lalasticlala shouldn't see this, else he puts it on front page!grin

5 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by vantage001: 1:01pm On May 28, 2017
It is in the blood obviously.
Martin Luther king may even be an igbo man just like Olaudah Equiano.

11 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by DocHMD: 1:10pm On May 28, 2017
Igbo people love freedom but some people from ewedu region keep losing their land and freedom to emirates and believe there is nothing wrong with it.

Ewedugerians are cursed!

grin grin cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Greenback: 1:18pm On May 28, 2017
Meanwhile,ppl with cone heads will rather rebel or protest for eforiro grin

8 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by prince9851(m): 1:22pm On May 28, 2017
Yorubas were very obedient slaves

9 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by NIGHTMAREOO7: 1:22pm On May 28, 2017
Nice one!.

1 Like

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by nigerdeltaaa: 1:31pm On May 28, 2017
if the yorubas were to be in the same camp/farm with Nat Turner, they would have sabotage the revolution.

8 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by vantage001: 1:48pm On May 28, 2017
hornyofife:

Martin Luther King's DNA showed he was from west Africa tiling towards Nigeria and Sierra Leone.

Infact he was suppose to visit Biafra a week to the day he was assassinated in 1968. look at the letter below.
Interesting.
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Agumbaa: 1:57pm On May 28, 2017
Igbo man and rebellion sef.

Igbo landing is an example.

2 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Feraz(m): 2:00pm On May 28, 2017
nigerdeltaaa:
if the yorubas were to be in the same camp/farm with Nat Turner, they would have sabotage the revolution.
prince9851:
While igbo slave were always stubborn and rebelious, the other group of people were and have always been obedient slaves cheesy
Greenback:
Meanwhile,ppl with cone heads will rather rebel or protest for eforiro grin
DocHMD:
Igbo people love freedom but some people from ewedu region keep losing their land to emirates and believe there is nothing wrong with it.

grin grin cheesy
Aren't you people tired? Can't you make a post without snide remarks at other people? An interesting thread was brought forth and instead of discussing, you derail it.

Funnicator:
Man! Oyibo too good. Keeping records of observed Eboe traits and traditions right from the 1800s/20th century.
Of course, they are good but shouldn't we be ashamed of ourselves? I mean, they are the ones still distorting and giving us our history. What happened to our NSIBIDI way of writing? When are we going to bring it back? We may discover many hidden mysteries and histories of the Igbo because I am sure the Igbos of old must have kept a record of them all...

4 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by GrandGarcon: 2:06pm On May 28, 2017
hornyofife:
I dont mean to derail this thread but am tempted to ask why other Nigerians don't show interest into digging into their history like the igbos do.
Especially as regards their great exploits in the past under colonial rule and their great men of reckoning. Outside bishop Ajayi crowther and Nathaniel Akinremi Fadipe but not much is known about Akinremi Fadipe asides these two, i doubt i know of any. Or is it that they were not documented?
Ajayi Crowther is a Sierra Leonaian BTW

2 Likes

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 28, 2017
Funnicator:
Igbo people and revolution! Just as they revolted in 1966 and are revolting now!
Igbo man loves his freedom. Lalasticlala shouldn't see this, else he puts it on front page!grin

'Lol...I tell you. Even in the 19th century when British empire was successful in penetrating SW and North, they encountered powerful resistance from the Igbos. It took 12 years of war for Igboland to finally fall to British Empire. For that, British Empire vowed to deal with Igbos and never to let them rise to a position of power in Nigeria. They know if Igbos get to power, they fear to bagger as seen with Ojukwu, Nzeogwu, Nnamdi Kanu. Some see it as stubbornness but I see it as a people who hate others dictating for them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Nobody: 2:09pm On May 28, 2017
Feraz:
Aren't you people tired? Can't you make a post without snide remarks at other people? An interesting thread was brought forth and instead of discussing, you derail it.

Of course, they are good but shouldn't we be ashamed of ourselves? I mean, they are the ones still distorting and giving us our history. What happened to our NSIBIDI way of writing? When are we going to bring it back? We may discover many hidden mysteries and histories of the Igbo because I am sure the Igbos of old must have kept a record of them all...

The Nsibidi is a record that would have prospered if promoted by a federal Authority of Ministry of Culture and re-orientation(in a Biafran nation).
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Feraz(m): 2:15pm On May 28, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Ajayi Crowther is a Sierra Leonaian BTW
Any link to prove so? I've always known him to be of SWern extraction but was rescued as a slave and dropped in Sierra Leone.

Funnicator:

The Nsibidi is a record that would have prospered if promoted by a federal Authority of Ministry of Culture and re-orientation(in a Biafran nation).
Does it mean none of our state governors in SEern Nigeria can promote it now? Imagine where some kids are taught in the writings and they advancing it further. That is bliss!!! Why do you feel we can't start now?
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 28, 2017
Feraz:
Does it mean none of our state governors in SEern Nigeria can promote it now? Imagine where some kids are taught in the writings and they advancing it further. That is bliss!!! Why do you feel we can't start now?

NO SE Governor is driven by undiluted passion for Igbo unity and development. That is why the best they can do is become a state champion. TA Kalu, champion and known only in Abia. Ifeanyi, only in Enugu, Obi reverred only in Anambra. One man just can't unite the entire SE and make the entire states work in tandem.
Only Azikiwe, Okpara, Ibiam, Ekwueme have been able to achieve such. And of course, Nnamdi Kanu. No living Igbo politician can pull as many crowd as Nnamdi Kanu in the entire SE and diaspora put together. He alone now, has ability to re-invent Nsibidi and Igbo consciousness. But he is being subdued by the National government.

1 Like

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by GrandGarcon: 6:04pm On May 28, 2017
Feraz:
Any link to prove so? I've always known him to be of SWern extraction but was rescued as a slave and dropped in Sierra Leone.

google is your friend. He is from sierra leone. The name Ajayi was a name he adopted. Go and dust up your history book. Oh I forgot, nigerian schools don't teach history

1 Like

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 28, 2017
Igbo tribe - FEARLESS
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by raker300: 6:31pm On May 28, 2017
Afonjas will cry after seeing this thread
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Feraz(m): 6:43pm On May 28, 2017
GrandGarcon:
google is your friend. He is from sierra leone. The name Ajayi was a name he adopted. Go and dust up your history book. Oh I forgot, nigerian schools don't teach history
Someone that was born in Osogun, Oyo state is a Sierra-Leonean (except you are talking by naturalization which still does not make him less a Nigerian)?

raker300:
Afonjas will cry after seeing this thread
See as you wan spoil this thread na!
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Candyrain(m): 7:18pm On May 28, 2017
GrandGarcon:

Ajayi Crowther was a yoruba man from present day Oyo state captured by Fulani slave trader along with his family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Ajayi_Crowther
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by GrandGarcon: 7:53pm On May 28, 2017
Candyrain:

Ajayi Crowther was a yoruba man from present day Oyo state captured by Fulani slave trader along with his family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Ajayi_Crowther
Wikipedia can be edited by anybody. He is from Sierra Leone.

1 Like

Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by Candyrain(m): 8:29pm On May 28, 2017
GrandGarcon:
Wikipedia can be edited by anybody. He is from Sierra Leone.

http://www.bu.edu/missiology/missionary-biography/c-d/crowther-samuel-adjai-or-ajayi-c-1807-1891/

I believe this can't be edited. Read up
Re: Nat Turner: Igbo-american Warrior And Freedom Fighter "In August 21, 1831-pics by nigerdeltaaa: 7:52am On May 29, 2017
Feraz:

we need to expose them for what they are

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Should Forget About Biafra & Join Me To Re-build Nigeria - Osinbajo / BREAKING: Buhari's Family Members, Security Aides, Return From UK / I Am Giving Out Free Recharge Card Of 2k To Anyone Who W Name Buhari Achievement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.