Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,119 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo (37178 Views)

Solomon Nwadiogbu Sues Eko Hotels Over Illegal Seizure Of His N400M Belongings / Access Bank, GTB Fined N96 Million For Illegal Charges, Other Violations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by ipreach: 6:12pm On May 28, 2017
A Nigerian model based in the United States of America, Nneoma Anosike, has filed an action against Wema Bank PLC before a Lagos Division of the Federal High Court for allegedly using her photos for commercial purposes without authorization.

Ms. Anosike, 22, sued the bank through her father, Frank Anosike, who doubles as her lawyer, claiming N97 million as damages.

According to the plaintiff, the bank on April 11, 2016, used her photo for a commercial on social network platform, Instagram, without her consent or authorization from Ford Models Inc, her American management company.

Among her prayers, the plaintiff is seeking an order directing the defendant to pay N75 million for allegedly passing off her services.

She is also seeking an injunction restraining the defendant from passing off or causing others to pass off her professional services and a declaration that she is entitled to her privacy of her correspondence under Section 37 of the Nigerian Constitution.

The plaintiff is also seeking an order directing the bank to pay her N20 million for the breach of her privacy by advertising her private correspondence; an order to publish a written apology in two national dailies in Nigeria and in the U.S.; and N2 million as cost of filing the suit.

According to the statement of claims attached to the suit, the plaintiff claimed that she is a reputable international model who had won many laurels within and outside the country, including the ‘Elite Model Look’ 2013 in Nigeria.
Ms. Anosike said based on her reputation, Pepsi-Cola Nigeria made her its brand ambassador for Aquafina water.

The plaintiff further averred that her contract with Ford Models Inc took her to the U.S. and that prior to the defendant’s advert of her, she was in negotiations with the company for a renewal of her contract.
READ THIS: How generator fumes killed three in Edo state

But on April 11 last year, according to Ms. Anosike, the management of Ford Models summoned her to a meeting on April 12 wherein she was presented with her photo advert procured from the Instagram account of the defendant.

She alleged that the defendant mutilated and edited her professional photo for the said advert uploaded on the internet, adding that based on that action, her contract renewal with the American company has been jeopardized.

But in its statement of defence, the defendant averred that the bank was not a party to the alleged modelling contract between the plaintiff and the American company and was not privy to it.

The bank also stated that the photo in question was sourced from social media for its weekly online motivational and educational series, intended to inspire going online users.

The bank denied using the plaintiff’s photo for any advertisement purposes or for any commercial gain but for purely free educational purpose under its Corporate Social Responsibility programme.

Justice Ibrahim Buba adjourned the matter till June 15 for further hearing.

https://www.bbcnigeria.net/nneoma-anosike-wema-bank-photo/

2 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Ikpewe: 6:29pm On May 28, 2017
As she wohwoh like dis?

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by PapaNnamdi: 6:49pm On May 28, 2017
Look at this lizard!

52 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by nwaanambra1(m): 9:46pm On May 28, 2017
THE BANK WILL ESCAPE BY SIMPLY CLAIMING THAT THE PHOTO WAS NOT USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE BUT FOR EDUCATIONAL AND MOTIVATIONAL PURPOSE BASED ON PROMOTION OF CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BANK WHICH EVERY MODELS PICTURE IS FREE TO BE USED BASED ON THE MODELLING AND CHARITY ACTS

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by ijustdey: 10:33pm On May 28, 2017
cc lalasticlala......

she just want 97millions for free like that.

1 Like

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Momoh7(m): 5:17am On May 29, 2017
lala push this thing enter front page asap
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by kolafolabi(m): 5:45am On May 29, 2017
What a big blunder from Wema Bank Plc

7 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by azimibraun: 5:57am On May 29, 2017
nwaanambra1:
THE BANK WILL ESCAPE BY SIMPLY CLAIMING THAT THE PHOTO WAS NOT USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE BUT FOR EDUCATIONAL AND MOTIVATIONAL PURPOSE BASED ON PROMOTION OF CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BANK WHICH EVERY MODELS PICTURE IS FREE TO BE USED BASED ON THE MODELLING AND CHARITY ACTS
I will study the law and see its provisions. But again, don't you think their action has led to an exposure and endangering of the young lady? This is Nigeria. That girl could be kidnapped for ransom just for being used by Diamond Bank. Young boys who didn't look her way may now see a prey to pounce on( if you know what I mean) Her father may as a result of this lose control of a decent child if by any means it gets to the girls head and she starts feeling like a star already and get carried away. She could be the person chasing the next advert through and agent who would want sex from her before helping out. I am not trying to make it look so bad but am just saying these are possible consequences of actions like this. Am just talking as a father with a daughter. A bachelor may see it differently.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by azimibraun: 6:03am On May 29, 2017
Ikpewe:
As she wohwoh like dis?
When you grow up and you have a child ( especially a daughter) you will think differently. The Joy she brought her parents on birth should be the kind of joy your birth brought your parents. Am not sure your folks will ever say you are " Woh Woh" since you are small boy, I will ask you to listen to Daughters by Nas.

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by azimibraun: 6:04am On May 29, 2017
ijustdey:
cc lalasticlala......

she just want 97millions for free like that.
Yanga dey sleep before Trouble go wake am.. I lie? Trouble don see double trouble.
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by crazyABO(m): 6:52am On May 29, 2017
Lol wema don enter am! How mch is dre profit self
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by rattlesnake(m): 9:59am On May 29, 2017
Ugly like this

1 Like

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by hucienda: 10:00am On May 29, 2017
why you go use pesin foto witout im consent? ehn wema?

1 Like

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by gustav25: 10:01am On May 29, 2017
Ikpewe:
As she wohwoh like dis?
akpa amu ,show me your sister with her over burnt plaintain hand

46 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by BrutalJab: 10:01am On May 29, 2017
rattlesnake:
Ugly like this
Show us your own sister picture with her signature Scratched face and dirty underwear.

Dirty pigs

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Qelvin(m): 10:01am On May 29, 2017
rattlesnake:
Ugly like this
Post your sister pic make we compare

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by omogin(f): 10:02am On May 29, 2017
And to think that I rushed to see her pics... sad sad sad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Nobody: 10:02am On May 29, 2017
Oh wow she's beautiful!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by gustav25: 10:02am On May 29, 2017
rattlesnake:
Ugly like this
ikpu ewu

13 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Bugatie(m): 10:03am On May 29, 2017
azimibraun:
I will study the law and see its provisions. But again, don't you think their action has led to an exposure and endangering of the young lady? This is Nigeria. That girl could be kidnapped for ransom just for being used by Diamond Bank. Young boys who didn't look her way may now see a prey to pounce on( if you know what I mean) Her father may as a result of this lose control of a decent child if by any means it gets to the girls head and she starts feeling like a star already and get carried away. She could be the person chasing the next advert through and agent who would want sex from her before helping out. I am not trying to make it look so bad but am just saying these are possible consequences of actions like this. Am just talking as a father with a daughter. A bachelor may see it differently.

I didn't see Diamond bank anywhere in the report

19 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by eponoloyin: 10:04am On May 29, 2017
omogin:
And to think that I rushed to see her pics... sad sad sad

you fine reach am?
just come online and be spewing trash for likes.

Back to the topic.. she has every right to sue.
They should have paid her just like Pepsi does to Wizkid. You don't just use anybody's pics for free

8 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Theblackstalln: 10:04am On May 29, 2017
This babe is not bad....if you could sue a bank for using your picture without your permission I know all those saying she is ugly will the people that will start suing banks about....and again ask yourselves why would wema bank use her picture if it was not attractive

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by pepemendy(m): 10:04am On May 29, 2017
she day korede belllo's music video butterfly, that nursery rhymes
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by noeloge82(m): 10:04am On May 29, 2017
nwaanambra1:

Pls are u saying that Kim kardashins pics can be used for Educational purposes without her consent for free

8 Likes

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by napoleon77(m): 10:06am On May 29, 2017
azimibraun:

What has Diamond Bank got to do with this issue?
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by uglodoh(f): 10:07am On May 29, 2017
Where is the picture that was or the above are the pictures used?
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by rheether(f): 10:08am On May 29, 2017
I Am Really Looking For Who To Sue grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by maxiuc(m): 10:09am On May 29, 2017
That one concern them
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by Jengem: 10:10am On May 29, 2017
Wema fraud
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by lonelydora: 10:10am On May 29, 2017
Wema bank sef......the girl no even fine
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by eponoloyin: 10:10am On May 29, 2017
rheether:
I Am Really Looking For Who To Sue grin

sue me.. after I put the cap in tho. and I won't move grin
Re: Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo by lifestyle1(m): 10:11am On May 29, 2017
Why not add 3 million to make it a round figure ?

grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos On Lockdown As Many Engage In "Last Minute Rush Buys For Xmas" - Photos / Man Strips To His Boxers In A Lagos Bank To Demand For His Money (Video) / Six Under Consideration To Replace Sanusi As CBN Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.