Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Starting Project Management Training/certification - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Starting Project Management Training/certification (27757 Views)

Subsea Engineering Easter Training Promo with Free HSE Training & Certification / Free Online Hse Training/certification Program / Project Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by ulohomuno: 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2008
soj,

is the lagos PMI chapter still functioning.
thx
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 4:17pm On Sep 08, 2008
SOJ:

This is strictly FYI: Just as Rare mentioned, every info u need concerning PMI, Prince2/PMP/CAPM can be gleaned online. I started my search online 4 years ago and now i'm a member of the PMI, a member of PMI Lagos chapter and currently studying towards a CAPM cert. All online and not through an agent whatsoever!

Do the same,I advice anyone and don't leave your info sources in the hands of d numerous training centers in naija now. For example, if u do your due dilligence u will discover that there are only 3 training institutes recognized by PMI in naija. I wouldn't give u their names though;u must find that out d way i did: www.pmi.org

D way i see it,if anyone's truly interested in project management, he'll take d first step by googling it!

all d best,,,,

SOJ,

If you have really read the requirements from PMI's website well, you would discover that you must be trained for at least, 35 hrs before you sit for any of the credentials. Again, it is not only REPs that can train you. Check again and see if I am wrong.

Best of luck in your pursuit. wink
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by SOJ(m): 1:00pm On Sep 11, 2008
Kashif:

SOJ,

If you have really read the requirements from PMI's website well, you would discover that you must be trained for at least, 35 hrs before you sit for any of the credentials. Again, it is not only REPs that can train you. Check again and see if I am wrong.

Best of luck in your pursuit. wink

Nope u r wrong. For the CAPM, all u require is[b] 25hrs of project mgt education/training[/b] to qualify to do d exam.
Yes, it isn't only REP's dat can train u,,,but wat good is it if u av a training from a non-REP and u register for the exam only to be told to bring the document proving ur training?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 6:19pm On Sep 11, 2008
I am a PMP, and I was not trained at a REP. It might interest you to know that my application was audited and I easily breezed through. All I was asked to submit was my certificate of training which was duely signed by a PMP. In addition to REPs, page 7 of PMP handbook says that you could be trained by a consultant. This means that the consultant can even come to your house to train you, if you can pay.

I agree that CAPM requires 23hr training (not 25) or 1,500hr project team work; I might not have been paying close attention to the CAPM credential.

Cheers.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by McNiche(m): 5:49am On Sep 12, 2008
Which one suits Naija practice better?

PMP vs PRINCE2 

PM's in the house, bring it on!

(i need objective points, please)
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by SOJ(m): 1:55pm On Sep 12, 2008
@Kashif

my bad o,,,its 23hrs of training
yeah u are working from d point of view of PMP qualifications which are slightly diffrent from dat of CAPM,,,

@Mcniche
u'll av to google for an answer. but d way i see it;it really doesnt matter which u do in naija. one thing is most of this stuff are used in naija wit no discrimination watsoeva so any of them will do fine.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by McNiche(m): 7:17pm On Sep 14, 2008
been searching for project management-related jobs online
but all seem to be foreign jobs,
pls i need info on nigerian PM jobs and $alary $urvey.
, help a brother in need,
, mcniche .
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by alawiyee: 8:40pm On Sep 14, 2008
Well Said SOJ, I know quitea number of people that have been promoted/hired because of the three letters 'PMP' after their name, likewise I also know a number of Prince2 practitioners that are promoted/hired because of their qualification. Hence it is fair to say that Nigeria doesn't discriminate for now though as the practice takes hold I guess one wil have to take a backseat,

Even in the UK where prince2 in predominant, all companies that undertake projects still require a PROJECT PLANNER. Guess what is also included in their job specs, Earned Value Management!! Yes that is from the PMI methodology, not Prince2. So, as Prince2 based projects still require a PMP's skills, it is fair to say that PMI'ss PMP is more robust than Prince2 and as such will come out on top in NIgeria in the long run.

N.B all newcomers or prospective PMP's as as been stated by kashif and a few others, you DO NOT have to be trained by an ATO(accredited training organization) to sit the exam. If anyone tells you otherwise tell them IT IS NOT TRUE!
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by McNiche(m): 8:56pm On Sep 14, 2008
@ alawiyee
thanks 4 ur response, really appreciate it.

@ everybody,

I'm an undergraduate preparing for his PMP exam and am trying 2 get some things clear.

I am just rounding up with my final thesis in d university and I know I'll meet all the PMI requirements b4 the end of this year (bachelors degree, etc, )
I have set a time target for my pmp certification, however d only challenge there seems to be is the 3 yrs project experience!

All my SWEP and Industrial attachment don't culminate in 3 years, pls what do I do cry?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 9:58am On Sep 15, 2008
McNiche:

@ alawiyee
thanks 4 your response, really appreciate it.

@ everybody,

I'm an undergraduate preparing for his PMP exam and am trying 2 get some things clear.

I am just rounding up with my final thesis in d university and I know I'll meet all the PMI requirements before the end of this year (bachelors degree, etc, )
I have set a time target for my pmp certification, however d only challenge there seems to be is the 3 years project experience!

All my SWEP and Industrial attachment don't culminate in 3 years, please what do I do cry?

The truth be told; you cannot become a PMP just after graduating. The stipulation is that you should work on/direct projects for a minimum of 4500 hrs before you can be eligible to sit for the exam. It is unethical to cut corners in professional endevours. I suggest you go for CAPM if you cannot wait.

Keep moving; never look back.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by McNiche(m): 11:22am On Sep 15, 2008
kashif,
I must thank u for being frank with me.

I was actually taking my time before I met a school friend of mine who got his Prince2 certification (both foundational and practitional), all in a period of 6 months of his industrial training in the UK.
He now has a registered PM company to his name.
this gave me the idea that I should be able to fast track the whole process.

I've been working in a project environment for the past one year (part time) and I intend to do my NYSC in a project-based industry also.
Please, what are my chances if I'm able to quote 4500 legitimate hours of project experience in NOT up to 36 months?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2008
For the avoidance of doubt, just check out the details on www.pmi.org. After the 'stress', you will be happy when you look back and recount the journey it took to have "PMP" after your mame. wink

Cheers.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by SOJ(m): 9:55am On Sep 16, 2008
@ McNiche

Just like Kashif said, take ur time to build the experience u need;PMP exams are experience-based and not much of theory. You can do a CAPM to prepare urself for a PMP much later on because a clause in CAPM says u can upgrade ur CAPM under 5 yrs ( which is the number of yrs to hold the certification b4 renewal) to a PMP,,,actually i think dats cool for you, but the best way is to browse pmi.org so u'd kow more info about how to go,,,,
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by McNiche(m): 1:00pm On Sep 16, 2008
@SOJ
@KASHIF

You two have been a lot more helpful that I could imagine.

I really appreciate the pain u both took to drum it into my head that PMP is experience-based.

Meanwhile I'll be working on CAPM as a stepping stone.

However, I'll need your help in getting a good PM consultancy establishment where I can get quality project experience, maybe as an intern or as a corper (since I will soon be going for my NYSC in February)

I really wouldn't mind if u can foward some contacts to me on adeniji_olufemi@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks for the mentorship. God bless.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by papey79: 9:48am On Jul 12, 2009
For your PMP training in Lagos, Nigeria.

You can contact Lanre on +234 803 077 0969, +234 703 416 6902 or Email: info@cornea-consulting.com for information in PMP training in Lagos.

You can also visit www.cornea-consulting.com for more information on our website.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obamacain: 7:12am On Jul 14, 2009
i tried a place and its cool - u fit call 08035627590 to speak with Bolaji
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by bode228: 10:15am On Aug 10, 2009
I am a certified PMP and training consultant,
For those of you who desires PMP cert. It requires previous project mgt experience (min 0f 4200hrs) as the project manager or project team member. And at 40 contact hrs training is a must for you to qualify to write the exam.
If you dont have these prrequisite exp the project mgt experience then I will advice you take the Associate level exam-CAPM; however either way PMP or CAPM they are very lucrative certifications.
Where I teach the training costs 150k; but if I see seriousness and commitment from the house(forum) members we can arrange the training at far reduced price with all the materials you will need and mentorship till you write your exam inclusive.

Wether you are intersted in my training or not feel free to contact me via-bode228@gmail.com 0r 07041196308 for guidiance and materials.

Be prepared to study hard this is not CCNA or the likes o! No dump! I am a CCNA so I know what I am saying here.

And on PM software; I will strongly recommend MS Project and Primavera for Naija environment however KNOW THAT THESE ARE JUST TOOLS THEY ARE NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE.

@Kashif: THUMBS UP!
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obamacain: 11:01am On Aug 10, 2009
You can get the training cheaper and equally interesteing and practical enough for the exam and work purposes at less than 150k. the place i know - it goes for 70k and depending on when u pay u can get up to 10% discount.

And many trained have also passed. so u can even save more money for your exam and study materials.its making a lot of difference in the work place oo and in terms of job opportunities.
cheers
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by frithom: 11:53pm On Aug 10, 2009
am just into IT still on compTIA+ can anyone help me out if it is or when it is suitable for me to apply for PM course.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obamacain: 6:58am On Aug 11, 2009
@frithom - one advantage the PM course would give you is that u go get an overall view.it doesnt make much sense if u tie yourself to a vendor say Oracle, microsoft etc.u see the koko na say i dey see many vacancies whey them dey ask for PM skills because organisations dey go everly do projects.so i suggest u do it - u cant go wrong with the PM course.the PMP one in particular. i hope say u make sense out of my gist.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by frithom: 10:53pm On Aug 11, 2009
obamacain thanks. Do you know a potential place where i can run the program in Oyo state or is their any wed add to access location nationwide.
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Kashif(m): 10:56am On Aug 12, 2009
Just as a matter of information, project management personnel who have challenges with their projects, and would appreciate professional advise, send a mail to consulting@getmoreng.com.

Correspondence advise is free; I think this is cool.

@Bode, I hail O!
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obamacain: 7:28am On Aug 13, 2009
@frithom - i suggest u get in touch with the number i put up earlier. If they get enough pple say like 8 - 10 they sud come to Oyo to take the class.

u fit text sef to the number.
thanx
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by hancock(m): 1:47pm On Aug 13, 2009
hi,
i have been searching high and low for this book "A Guide to Project Management Body of Knowledge 4th Edition" if anybody knows where i can get it should please help out.i want to start reading it in advance before sitting for the exam early next year
thanks
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by obamacain: 2:06pm On Aug 13, 2009
@hancock - visit www.pmi.org for the PMBOK, u wud have to pay for it. the other way u can get it is if u register to join PMI membership u are given a soft copy. is that ok?
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by hancock(m): 4:22pm On Aug 13, 2009
i know i have to pay for it.if i can get it in bookshops here in lagos that wld be great. i would prefer having a hard copy. i hate straining my eyes trying to read from a computer screen for long.anyways how do i register to join pmi membership so i can get the softcopy and print out. i know i have created an account with www.pmi.org before. please enlighten me more
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by AGILEPM: 11:09pm On Aug 15, 2009
Are you are a busy professional?
, and you want to achieve the prestigious PMP certification?
, too busy to attend your 35hrs training in a stretch?

'SPEAK WITH US TODAY AND WE WILL DEDICATE AT LEAST TWO CERTIFIED TRAINERS TO YOU'

(You can also join our next monthly class starting on 29th August @Opebi Ikeja)

We will give you every thing you need to PASS!

Call us on:08098833360, 08098833361

email:agile.consultants@yahoo.com
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by Ayolawal(m): 12:57pm On Sep 23, 2009
Vert Doree Concepts present Project management Exam Preparatory classes for Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) and Project Management Professional (PMP) starting October 3, 2009
Fee: 70,000 (50,000 for NYSC and fresh graduates with evidence)

Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by princemusa: 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2009
Please, as an Undergraduate, you are advised not to prepare for this Exam because you are not qualified for PMP. You must have worked for four years.

It will not be beneficiary to you. I rather ask you to attempt CAPM although you must have at least a year working experience.

I was Director @ Large PMI - Lagos Chapter for 3years and I designed the logos and the news letters of PMI. we were five that brought PMI Lagos to Nigeria. Please if you have any challenge relating to PMI, send a mail to innetglobal@gmail.com. We shall attend to it.

Dont let people fool you to collect your money. We are currently planing a strategy to stop people from this behaviour.

Regards
Musa Innocent
Re: Starting Project Management Training/certification by papey79: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2009
You can call  +234 803 077 0969, +234 703 416 6902 or visit www.cornea-consulting.com to make an enquiry or register for your project management training course. We have a 100% pass rate for the new PMBoK 4th edition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Someone Survive On ₦130,000 Monthly In Lagos? / Lady Narrates How Okada Man Saved Her From Embarrassment In Lagos / How Much Does A Veterinary Doctor Earns In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.