Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. (2770 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Hosts Imam In Saudi Arabia While On Pilgrimage Duty..photo / Taraba PDP Chairman, 700 Others Denied Voting / Terror Watch On Nigeria: Borno Commissioner Denied U.s. Visa ‘over Surname’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jan 17, 2010
Terror watch on Nigeria: Borno Commissioner denied U.S. visa ‘over surname’
WRITTEN BY ISA UMAR GUSAU, MAIDUGURI
SUNDAY, 10 JANUARY 2010 05:41
The United States of America may have begun stringent visa restriction as part of its planned terror surveillance on Nigeria because Borno State’s Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Alhaji Mohammed Imam, who was billed to accompany Governor Ali Modu Sheriff to attend an annual World Agricultural Expo in Orlando, northern Florida in the United States has been allegedly denied visa for bearing ‘Imam’ as his surname, Sunday Trust gathered.
The US embassy in Abuja also told a Special Adviser on Housing to Governor Sheriff that he had no business attending the expo because his schedule of duties had no link with the event. The embassy equally denied visa to Sheriff’s Special Adviser on Agriculture for reasons not disclosed. The embassy, however, granted visa to Borno Commissioner for Agriculture, Alhaji Kashim Shettima and another official. It was not clear if the governor already had a valid visa or was issued after the US placed Nigeria on its list of countries to be watched over terrorism.

Alhaji Imam, along with the two Special Advisers, all of whom were denied entry into the U.S attended VISA interviews December 28, 2009, which was three days after, Umar Faruk Mutallab allegedly made attempts to bomb a US bound aircraft on 25th December, 2009.

The officials were recommended to the US embassy in Abuja by the Borno State government to take part as delegates in the world agro expo which holds annually in different states of United States with the US Chamber of Commerce usually involved in the organisation of the event. The expo is expected to begin on 12th January, 2010 and will last for some days. Governor Sheriff and the two officials granted visa were scheduled to depart Nigeria via Lagos by between yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday).

Sources told our correspondent that the commissioner for commerce, whose ministry equally has dealings with Borno government’s participation in the expo, was merely denied visa because he has ‘Imam’ which is a title for a Muslim cleric that leads prayer in the mosque as his surname. The commissioner comes from a popular family in Borno which has produced leading Islamic scholars including chief Imams who lead prayers in mosque. His father is a retired Grand Khadi of the Shari’a court. The commissioner is known to have in the past, been granted visa into different countries, including the United Kingdom.

When contacted on phone, the commissioner said he wasn’t told by the embassy that he was denied the visa because of his surname. He said the embassy officials only told him that his application was going through administrative procedures, politely denying him entry to the US.

However, the commissioner insisted, “The issue of visa is not a right but a diplomatic privilege. Every country, including Nigeria decides who comes into the country at what time, may be the US is regulating the number of entries into its country, probably worldwide or even controlling the population for the expo we were going to attend. Millions of Nigerians are probably denied visa on daily basis to many countries, while millions are also granted visa. Its just a normal procedure.”

http://www.sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2543:terror-watch-on-nigeria-borno-commissioner-denied-us-visa-over-surname&catid=41:latest-news&Itemid=26
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 17, 2010
This is just the beginning. Very soon, Alfa, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Musa, Abdul-Mustaphar, and even Musa Yar'adua grin grin grin etc will stop being issued U.S. visa.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 1:55pm On Jan 17, 2010
The issue have gone beyond banning or do I say, stopping people with Islamic names from going to US. The real issues are still there. Let them close all those Islamic schools and send all these Almajiris back to school. That is just one long term solution, as against stopping those with Islamic names from going to US.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 1:57pm On Jan 17, 2010
Xena15:

This is just the beginning. Very soon, Alfa, Ibrahim, Yusuf, Musa, Abdul-Mustaphar, and even Musa Yar'adua grin grin grin etc will stop being issued U.S. visa.

I know the way the whites reason sometimes, can be a bizzare!, but it is not a solution.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by slap1(m): 2:04pm On Jan 17, 2010
It is actions like this that incite terrorism. The US tinks they are a demi-god, some peepz wanna prove them wrong = terrorism. Let the US soft-pedal o.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by slap1(m): 2:05pm On Jan 17, 2010
It is actions like this that incite terrorism. The US tinks they are a demi-god, some peepz wanna prove them wrong = terrorism. Let the US soft-pedal o.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Oboma1(m): 2:38pm On Jan 17, 2010
slap1:

Indeed, actions like this incite, but I hope this country will learn lessons from all these.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Oboma1(m): 2:45pm On Jan 17, 2010
Xena15:

The United States of America may have begun stringent visa restriction as part of its planned terror surveillance on Nigeria because Borno State’s Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Alhaji Mohammed Imam, who was billed to accompany Governor Ali Modu Sheriff to attend an annual World Agricultural Expo in Orlando, northern Florida in the United States has been allegedly denied visa for bearing ‘Imam’ as his surname, Sunday Trust gathered.
The US embassy in Abuja also told a Special Adviser on Housing to Governor Sheriff that he had no business attending the expo because his schedule of duties had no link with the event.

But I can not believe my eyes, that someone can be denied visa, just becos he is called an "Imam". Anyway, it is good for them, and their religion. It is what they sow, that is what they must reap.

As for the Special Adviser, it is good also for him, becos it is just waste of tax-payers funds.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 2:59pm On Jan 17, 2010
Oboma1:

But I can not believe my eyes, that someone can be denied visa, just becos he is called an "Imam". Anyway, it is good for them, and their religion. It is what they sow, that is what they must reap.

As for the Special Adviser, it is good also for him, becos it is just waste of tax-payers funds.

Thats how they waste our money on unnecessary trips abroad. That serves him right.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by otawa: 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2010

This is what US, UK should have been doing long ago but because it pays their economy they did not.

UN should employ all countries to place ban on all Nigeria Government officials. Let them stay at home and fix our problems.

There is internet and tele-conference so no reason for travels.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Enjoyment1(f): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2010
otawa:

This is what US, UK should have been doing long ago but because it pays their economy they did not.

UN should employ all countries to place ban on all Nigeria Government officials. Let them stay at home and fix our problems.

There is internet and tele-conference so no reason for travels.

Until this effort is extended further, we might not feel the impact. Let all commissioners, ministers, governors, and even the President be made to face the music. Let them sit back and fix this nation. This nation is drifting daily to destruction.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by SeanT21(f): 3:18pm On Jan 17, 2010
This has nothing to do with his name. Nigerian newspapers always trying to start one thing or another. Why in the world will the US deny his visa because of some Muslim name?
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Luvlee(f): 3:20pm On Jan 17, 2010
I pray this continues and only when our leaders have a legitimate reson to travel abroad will they be granted visas. Then they will help make their home country jst as beautiful as other countries.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Luvlee(f): 3:20pm On Jan 17, 2010
I pray this continues and only when our leaders have a legitimate reson to travel abroad will they be granted visas. Then they will help make their home country jst as beautiful as other countries.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Otobroto(f): 3:21pm On Jan 17, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Until this effort is extended further, we might not feel the impact. Let all commissioners, ministers, governors, and even the President be made to face the music. Let them sit back and fix this nation. This nation is drifting daily to destruction.

Irrespective of the reason for denying him visa, I welcome such actions. This will create awareness amongst this northern leaders, and let them see reason to find a lasting action. These embarrassments are becoming too much.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by kkkossy(m): 3:25pm On Jan 17, 2010
[quote][/quote] dis will only apply 2 government personell having core islamic names
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Otobroto(f): 3:35pm On Jan 17, 2010
kkkossy:

dis will only apply 2 government personell having core islamic names

My Guy, let it apply to anybody, I do not care, but let these people feel what ordinary Nigerians are feeling out there.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Jaybee2412(m): 3:43pm On Jan 17, 2010
This is how most Nigerians are now treated at Foreign airports

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/A4Ou87VtFvM[/flash]
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Otobroto(f): 3:45pm On Jan 17, 2010
Jaybee2412:

This is how most Nigerians are now treated at Foreign airports

[flash=535,325]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/A4Ou87VtFvM[/flash]

I love this video. That is exactly what our passport has turned into.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 4:30pm On Jan 17, 2010
Otobroto:

I love this video. That is exactly what our passport has turned into.

Whatever is happening to these guys from the north, is just their past hunting their present, and they better be careful, so that it does not hunt their future.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Enjoyment1(f): 4:50pm On Jan 17, 2010
selingel:

Whatever is happening to these guys from the north, is just their past hunting their present, and they better be careful, so that it does not hunt their future.

All these are stories my Dear, all these Hausa's will never contribute to the development of the north, rather, they will never stop in buying SUV and Honda to their aides, so that they can score cheap political points, while still impoverishing their subjects the more.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by MT: 4:52pm On Jan 17, 2010
This is a good development. Even the governor deserves to have his visa revoked !. Why will the governor be attending the same conference with his special adviser on Agriculture ?. There are pressing issues in the state and the adviser can always come back to brief him.

Thank to the United States for helping to plug another hole in the budget !

P.S: I think we can start writting to the different embassies, in our own individual capacities, on the need for the embassies to start verifying the importance of a trip to the government official's portfolio. Most of their trips are needless and only meant for money laundering.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Oboma1(m): 5:12pm On Jan 17, 2010
MT:

This is a good development. Even the governor deserves to have his visa revoked !. Why will the governor be attending the same conference with his special adviser on Agriculture ?. There are pressing issues in the state and the adviser can always come back to brief him.

Thank to the United States for helping to plug another hole in the budget !

P.S: I think we can start writting to the different embassies, in our own individual capacities, on the need for the embassies to start verifying the importance of a trip to the government official's portfolio. Most of their trips are needless and only meant for money laundering.

It is a welcome development. I will suggest same to individuals; let them write to these embassies to help us curtail these wastages. People are dieing becos of these greed from our leaders.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 5:29pm On Jan 17, 2010
Enjoyment1:

All these are stories my Dear, all these Hausa's will never contribute to the development of the north, rather, they will never stop in buying SUV and Honda to their aides, so that they can score cheap political points, while still impoverishing their subjects the more.

Yes, they are stories, because the kind of money being embezzled by Yobe state governor, is enough for any embassy to deny him and his co-horts visa. In the real sense, will all these embassies deny these guys? Are they too not interested in these monies?
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Enjoyment1(f): 6:20pm On Jan 17, 2010
Oboma1:

It is a welcome development. I will suggest same to individuals; let them write to these embassies to help us curtail these wastages. People are dieing becos of these greed from our leaders.

Will these embassies oblige?
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by coolier(f): 6:23pm On Jan 17, 2010
Xena15:

Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by MT: 6:39pm On Jan 17, 2010

Will these embassies oblige?

At least let us try it out. There is no harm in trying. It's a good way of using our idle time to contribute to the development of our nation. Let the letter start to flow (either hard copy or email).

We can even mention particlualrs names in our letter and make reference to how he/she has enriched himself/herself by shortchanging the people. I can bet that after what happened with the US intelligence onAbdul-muttalab, every mail will be treated with utmost caution by the intelligence officers at the various embassies.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Otobroto(f): 6:54pm On Jan 17, 2010
MT:

At least let us try it out. There is no harm in trying. It's a good way of using our idle time to contribute to the development of our nation. Let the letter start to flow (either hard copy or email).

We can even mention particlualrs names in our letter and make reference to how he/she has enriched himself/herself by shortchanging the people. I can bet that after what happened with the US intelligence onAbdul-muttalab, every mail will be treated with utmost caution by the intelligence officers at the various embassies.

Yes!. There is no harm in trying, but my fear is, will they ever take these letters serious, as terrorists situation is totally different from internal affairs of a nation.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by MT: 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2010

will they ever take these letters serious, as terrorists situation is totally different from internal affairs of a nation.

Believe me, they will. Terrorism and internal affairs of a nation are linked together. Poverty can easily lure a citizen to do what he might not ever think of doing in his life time.

I bet I will fire the first salvo to some foreign embassies tomm, and will feel justified for contributing my own quota. Let's declare wars on these corrupt officials without the use of weapon! wink
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by slap1(m): 7:05pm On Jan 17, 2010
This mentality is plain silly. If we are to judge people by their names Obama may not have been the president of America because his middle name is HUSSEIN, which sounds more 'terroristic' than any other name i know. The US should say what they have in mind.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Otobroto(f): 7:11pm On Jan 17, 2010
MT:

Believe me, they will. Terrorism and internal affairs of a nation are linked together. Poverty can easily lure a citizen to do what he might not ever think of doing in his life time.

I bet I will fire the first salvo to some foreign embassies tomm, and will feel justified for contributing my own quota. Let's declare wars on these corrupt officials without the use of weapon! wink

Something tells me that, these embassies might not be fair. Some of our leaders are actually running the economies of these nations. Take for example, UAE will never stop corrupt Nigerian leaders from going to Dubai, because they need people like them to power their economies. The likes of Cecilia Ibru, can never be denied visa (apart from the case she has with EFCC). Yes, this nation has the money, and the resources, but they need the likes of our corrupt leaders, to sustain the growth of their economy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic City, Lagos, Nigeria: A Dramatic New Picture From Space / Why Did Prof. Wole Soyinka Not Condemn Rotimi Amaechi?? / FG Approves New Automotive Industrial Policy, To Phase Out 'Tokubo'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.