Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,419 members, 7,836,674 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. (2776 Views)

Atiku Abubakar Hosts Imam In Saudi Arabia While On Pilgrimage Duty..photo / Taraba PDP Chairman, 700 Others Denied Voting / Terror Watch On Nigeria: Borno Commissioner Denied U.s. Visa ‘over Surname’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 17, 2010
In my opinion, the US government is getting petty over this whole issue. Is one's surname enough to deny him visa? I know we need the US much more than they need us, but let there be some level of resonableness in their actions. You can't hastily generalize in a country of over 140m because of one person's stupid act.

They need to show us some little respect as a nation state!
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 8:07pm On Jan 17, 2010
Xena15:

Sources told our correspondent that the commissioner for commerce, whose ministry equally has dealings with Borno government’s participation in the expo, was merely denied visa because he has ‘Imam’ which is a title for a Muslim cleric that leads prayer in the mosque as his surname. The commissioner comes from a popular family in Borno which has produced leading Islamic scholars including chief Imams who lead prayers in mosque. His father is a retired Grand Khadi of the Shari’a court. The commissioner is known to have in the past, been granted visa into different countries, including the United Kingdom.

I am beginning to look at the story critically again, where did the reporter get his own info from? Was he told this by the embassy's official behind the door, because the officials will never tell anyone that, they are denying one visa because of the name, "Imam".

On a second thought, even if it is a lie, it serves these extremists right!.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Remii(m): 8:16pm On Jan 17, 2010
I think they must have other reasons for the denial, if they would go by names alone, no Arab would get visa so let us not draw conclusion in matter we do not have full details. This is not the first time they would deny Nigerian visa and they do same to anyone regardless of religion, tribe or tongue. Nigerian embassies abroad too do deny some willing visitors visa to Nigeria, including Americans.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by adconline(m): 8:36pm On Jan 17, 2010
But granting visas is a prerogative of the USA, just like Naija has the right to refuse visas to US public officials
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Enjoyment1(f): 10:06pm On Jan 17, 2010
Remii:

I think they must have other reasons for the denial, if they would go by names alone, no Arab would get visa so let us not draw conclusion in matter we do not have full details. This is not the first time they would deny Nigerian visa and they do same to anyone regardless of religion, tribe or tongue. Nigerian embassies abroad too do deny some willing visitors visa to Nigeria, including Americans.

Indeed, they must have other reasons.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by rasputinn(m): 11:54pm On Jan 17, 2010
I naff in Uhrobo.Una nova see anythin
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by mamagee3(f): 12:11am On Jan 18, 2010
What kind of religion prejudice is this?
So people can't answer what they want as their names
They have to choose the name society expects them to have
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Enjoyment1(f): 2:25pm On Jan 18, 2010
mama-gee:

What kind of religion prejudice is this?
So people can't answer what they want as their names
They have to choose the name society expects them to have

grin grin grin grin
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by JNdupu: 2:55pm On Jan 18, 2010
This is sensible talk and a welcome departure from all the bluster you expect from these so-called "big-men". It appears not to be a matter of life and death for him, let him continue his job at home jeje.

I commend the man.

However, the commissioner insisted, “The issue of visa is not a right but a diplomatic privilege. Every country, including Nigeria decides who comes into the country at what time, may be the US is regulating the number of entries into its country, probably worldwide or even controlling the population for the expo we were going to attend. Millions of Nigerians are probably denied visa on daily basis to many countries, while millions are also granted visa. Its just a normal procedure.”

http://www.sunday.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2543:terror-watch-on-nigeria-borno-commissioner-denied-us-visa-over-surname&catid=41:latest-news&Itemid=26
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by citizenY(m): 4:17pm On Jan 18, 2010
For all I care, no visa should be issued to any government official for any reason whatsoever.
afterall, in these days of emails and video conferencing, there is no difference between meeting
venues in Vienna or Beijing. They are just frittering away valuable time and money.

More annoying is this Bornu trip. I have not seen any evidence of government intervention in irrigation
in that state. All efforts are either by individuals or the federal government.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by selingel: 8:05pm On Jan 18, 2010
citizenY:

For all I care, no visa should be issued to any government official for any reason whatsoever.
afterall, in these days of emails and video conferencing, there is no difference between meeting
venues in Vienna or Beijing. They are just frittering away valuable time and money.

More annoying is this Bornu trip. I have not seen any evidence of government intervention in irrigation
in that state. All efforts are either by individuals or the federal government.

My Dear, dont you want these guys to collect estacode?.
Re: Terror Watch: Commissioner, Others Denied U.s. Visa ‘over "imam" As Surname'. by Otobroto(f): 8:44pm On Jan 20, 2010
selingel:

My Dear, dont you want these guys to collect estacode?.

My major problem here is that, if a solution is not found fast, many eligible persons will be denied visa, under one flimpsy excuse or the other.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bank Robbery Management Lesson: The Facts About Life / A Minute Silence: Do You Have Electricity In Your House Now??- Yes Or No / This Is The Last Facebook Update Of Ukeoma Favour Before He Was Killed...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.