Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,666 members, 7,862,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:18 AM

Asbestos: Lack Of Health Regulation In Nigeria For Carcinogen - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Asbestos: Lack Of Health Regulation In Nigeria For Carcinogen (429 Views)

The Video Of Kano Empty Isolation Centre Is Fake - Kano State Ministry Of Health / Akin Alabi: My COVID-19 Test Centre Awaiting Approval Of Health Ministry / COVID-19: Management Reacts To Protest By ESUT Nurses Over ‘lack Of PPE’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Asbestos: Lack Of Health Regulation In Nigeria For Carcinogen by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 31, 2017
Recently, I read an article about a woman who had cancer, questioning the rationale behind Trump's proposal for budget slashing and controversial health and climate decisions in light of the increase in number of diseases and effects of climate change around the world.
This drew my attention to the case of asbestos and its silent killing nature. While it has been banned in developed countries several years ago, I noticed that we continue to import and use this materials for ceilings in our homes - especially in the rural areas.
I am quite disturbed by the constant rise in number of deaths by cancer recorded in Nigeria. Unlike never before, this terminal disease is becoming a common cause of death.
Knowing that the effects of asbestos are not immediate, it seems lung cancer patients in Nigeria have inhaled the toxic substance over 20 years ago and are now dying of its effects.
Which is why I'm wondering why the government has done little to address the situation, ban the substance, and encourage and educate the public on using safer ceiling materials such as POP, PVC or wood.
While we spend so much money on treating health cases, it's better we become proactive in tackling the possible causes.

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/threads/the-asbestos-products-the-silent-killer-do-nigerian-really-care.61209/

(1) (Reply)

Pelvic Ultrasound : What Week Did You See The Fetal Pole And Heart Beat? / 13 Health Benefits Of Cucumber You Should Know / We Have The Cosmetics For Various Skin Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.