Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them (702 Views)

5 Tips To Help You Overcome Job Interview Anxiety / Common Job Search Challenges And How To Overcome Them / Top 3 Cheap IT Training Schools In Lagos Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by monteriza(m): 5:39am On Jun 01, 2017
Whether you are an entry level candidate or an experienced professional, there are 3 main challenges you will face when you walk into any interview venue. If you are not adequately prepared for these challenges, they could ruin your interview. I am not just going to mention the challenges here, I will also show you how to overcome them.

The challenges are:

1. Not knowing what question to expect

Not knowing what to expect is the first on my list of interview challenges. The reason is, it is the most prevalent among the three. Sometimes, the tension this can cause alone is enough to make you forget the things you know already. I remember a scenario one of my course mates shared with me about an interview he attended with an FCA (A Fellow of The Institute of Chartered Accountant). This FCA was doing fine until they asked him a very simple question, “In cost accounting, what does A-B-C stand for?” If you’re an accounting graduate you should be familiar with Activity Based Costing (ABC). At that moment, he got stuck and couldn’t recollect what A-B-C stands for. That’s somebody who is an authority in Accounting.

It’s normal and can happen to anyone, but there are some things you can do to avoid such scenarios.

a. Try to go through your notes (if you still have them) or text books, a few days before the interview. If you are applying for an accounting position for instance, you should read up the definition of accounting and the basic concepts, the roles of an accountant, etc. There’s no need for you to memorize or cram, just scan through. Even if you’re a guru, it’s recommended that you do this.

b. Google the internet for common interview questions and try to answer them in your own way. Recite your answers severally so that it sticks to your memory.

c. Learn everything you can about the company you’re interviewing with. Know the name of the company, its mission, vision, products, year of establishment, etc. You’ll find most of these information on the company’s website.

d. Master your CV. You should be able to explain all the information on your CV. I believe that’s self explanatory.

2. Not knowing how to answer the question

This is not too far from number one. Sometimes, it’s not not-knowing the answers to the questions that get you penalized. It is how you answer the questions.

The solution to this is that you should not be too much in a hurry to answer a question. Take a few seconds to think and come-up with the best way to answer each question. You can start by telling a short story highlighting how your skills helped you accomplish a particular task, that’s if it’s directly related to the question. Also, don’t go on talking and talking. Know where to stop, lest you become annoying.

3. Overcoming anxiety

If you have an interview to attend and you feel nervous, one thing I want you to remember is that you are not alone. Most interview candidates feel exactly the same as yourself.

Practicing for an interview and preparing adequately for it will help you overcome anxiety. Also, focus on your appearance: dress well, put on neat, well-ironed clothes and well polished shoes, have a clean shave and a haircut if you’re a man. If you’re a lady, make your hair and avoid heavy makeup. Apply a very light perfume and wear a smile. They’ll help boost your confidence.

I wish you success in your next interview.

I am giving out a FREE Cover Letter Template. If you're signed-in, see details on my signature. If you're not signed-in, click on my username and you'll find more detail about it on my profile.

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by oshe11: 6:04am On Jun 01, 2017
Again?
Re: Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 01, 2017
Bless you OP. Anxiety ruins things, breathe in and out_then take a moment to process your answer.

Till today, I can't believe I forgot what's treasury bill grin.

Re: Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by monteriza(m): 9:01am On Jun 01, 2017
Thanks.
PaperLace:
Bless you OP. Anxiety ruins things, breathe in and out_then take a moment to process your answer.

Till today, I can't believe I forgot what's treasury bill grin. Then one of the interviewer went through my CV, "you like Maths,right?" That was the beginning of another problem.

Re: Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by Zirah: 9:27am On Jun 01, 2017
Well written and concise.
Re: Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by monteriza(m): 10:41am On Jun 01, 2017
Thanks
Zirah:
Re: Top 3 Interview Challenges And How To Overcome Them by monteriza(m): 10:55am On Jun 12, 2017
Thank you.
Zirah:

(1) (Reply)

Synapse Services Fresh Job Recruitment (9 Positions Available) / Start Your International Career With Easy Pass International / Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc Fresh Job Recruitment ----7 Positions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.