Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! (1100 Views)

Haiti Joins African Union / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti / Support The Relief Efforts In Haiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by Mpele(m): 10:22am On Jan 18, 2010
Why does it seem as if SA is the only African country providng aid to Haiti, where are some of the so called African brothers!!

SA rallies behind efforts to aid Haiti's earthquake victims
Jan 14, 2010 11:08 PM | By The Editor, The Times Newspaper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Times Editorial: South African aid organisations are doing this country proud with their rapid response to the devastation caused by the earthquake in Haiti.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More conservative estimates of the number dead stand at 50000, though the country's consul-general to the UN, Felix Augustin, was quoted by CNN as saying that more than 100000 have perished.

Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive, uttered these chilling words: "So, so many buildings, so many neighbourhoods totally destroyed, and some neighbourhoods we don't even see people. So I don't know where those people are."

What is encouraging is the huge humanitarian relief effort that the world has undertaken to try and save lives and provide basic services to the devastated city.

Disasters such as this require a rapid response by those with the resources to help, and the proximity of Haiti to the US has led to a quick response.

In South Africa, the aid organisation Gift of the Givers, which has helped out with several international disasters, is preparing to lend assistance.

Its efforts and those of others preparing to help are to be praised and supported by all South Africans who want to help those in their hour of need.

Questions do need to be asked about the early-warning systems that are supposed to predict such events, thereby allowing sufficient time for evacuation.

But right now, the focus must be on saving lives.

On Sunday four survivors were pulled from the rubble by an international search and rescue team and although chances were fading for anyone still trapped in the rubble, the South African members said they will not stop looking.
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by AKO1(m): 12:03pm On Jan 18, 2010
The other 52 haven't said they won't help, have they?
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by Mpele(m): 1:14pm On Jan 18, 2010
wat the hell are they waiting for. Let them help their black bros!
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by jba203: 2:19pm On Jan 18, 2010
South Africa is capacitated Chief.
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by RSA(m): 2:24pm On Jan 18, 2010
I think Nigeria has been helping the Haiti people even before the quake Mpele.I read somewhere that Nigeria had peacekeepers in Haiti.Which means there is possibility that Nigerians might have lost some of their countrymen in this quake.

I would love to take credit but I cant.
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 1:09am On Jan 19, 2010
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by mamagee8: 1:42am On Jan 19, 2010
Sean, how are you? cry cry
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 1:49am On Jan 19, 2010
I am doing good. LMAO @ U getting ban for the umptheen time. You are setting a record.
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by mamagee8: 1:52am On Jan 19, 2010
SeanT21:

I am doing good. LMAO @ U getting ban for the umptheen time. You are setting a record.

I know and it's all sauron's fault. angry
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 1:53am On Jan 19, 2010
Link I wanna see what happened.
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by mamagee8: 1:55am On Jan 19, 2010
SeanT21:

Link I wanna see what happened.

I can't post a link but the thread is "Why do most Nigerian Men have Ugly Shaped Heads". grin grin
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 1:57am On Jan 19, 2010
Lay off Nigerian men ooo.
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by mamagee8: 1:59am On Jan 19, 2010
SeanT21:

Lay off Nigerian men ooo.

please, will you help me?
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 19, 2010
@mama-gee:

I can't post a link but the thread is "Why do most Nigerian Men have Ugly Shaped Heads". grin grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 2:06am On Jan 19, 2010
@mama-gee:

please, will you help me?

Like I said on the the other thread, I will try!!
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by mamagee8: 2:08am On Jan 19, 2010
SeanT21:

Like I said on the the other thread, I will try!!

What will you do?
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 2:10am On Jan 19, 2010
I really dont know. I think you should stick with this ID!!
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by mamagee8: 2:11am On Jan 19, 2010
SeanT21:

I really dont know. I think you should stick with this ID!!

I earned 5000post on the other id, and I'll never get that back
And besides I love my "mama-gee" username. cry
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by SeanT21(f): 2:17am On Jan 19, 2010
;d SORRY!
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by tanimz(f): 3:31am On Jan 19, 2010
@mama-gee:

LMAOOOOOOOOO grin grin grin
Re: South Africa The Only African Country Providing Aid To Haiti! by paddylo1(m): 4:22am On Jan 19, 2010
[size=16pt]Lagos, Nigerian Eagle Airlines Raise Funds for Haiti[/size]
[size=16pt]•Lagos donates $1m[/size]

[size=16pt]The Lagos State Government on Monday responded to the global appeal for aid for the earthquake victims in Haiti, as the State Executive Council launched an appeal fund with $1 million (One Million Dollars) on behalf of the people and Government of the State.
According to a press statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele, the State Executive Council under the Chairmanship of Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) took the decision after a review of the plight of Haitians in the aftermath of the recent devastating earthquake in the country.
[/size]

The Statement said the fund will be lodged at the Skye Bank Plc for subsequent transmission to the on-going aid programmes in Haiti adding that members of the State Executive Council have also made individual donations of N150,000 each in support of the fund while all well meaning members of the public and corporate organizations are also encouraged to support the fund.
Meanwhile, Nigerian Eagle Airlines, formerly Virgin Nigeria Airways, is to introduce special on board envelopes on flights across its route network, to raise funds to support the ongoing humanitarian and rescue activities in Haiti. This, the airline said, is an integral part of its corporate social responsibility to help curtail the devastating effect of the earthquake, which affected Port-au-Prince and other neighbouring cities in Haiti.

While formally introducing the specially designed envelopes in Lagos, the Airline's Chief Executive Officer, Captain Dapo Olumide, said the Airline is deeply concerned about the scale of disaster left in the wake of the earthquake and pledged the airlines’ commitment towards raising funds to make a difference in the support of ongoing humanitarian activities.

He said, “Nigerian Eagle Airlines is a responsive and caring airline that pays serious attention to issues that concerns humanity; and it is our wish that this humble gesture to identify with victims of the quake will bring succour, as well as improve the health conditions of the survivors through."
Olumide said the airline has equally initiated discussions for transfer of proceeds that will be realised through the medium provided by the airline.
He said network wide flights will be used as the vehicle to raise donations for the worthy humanitarian course, adding that the airline’s crop of dedicated staff are committed to the success of the fund raising programme to assuage the sufferings of the Haitians.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=164538

(1) (Reply)

See How Malian Soldiers Are Training For The Offensive / Queen Elizabeth I Sparked England's Rise To Greatness / Messi Shocks Football World As He Moves To Real Madrid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.