Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,427 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m (26776 Views)

Face-Mask Can Cause Failed ATM Transactions - Banks / Banks To Pay N10,000 Fine For Failed Transaction Not Reversed Within 24hrs / Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Sylva2147: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
ikbnice:
If everyone has been suing for issues like this, many banks in Nigeria will no longer exist.
but if everyone has been suing them because of that all those rubbish the bankers are doing wouldn't have been happening. personally I lost #208,700 since last year December to first bank Plc, and what do you think supposing the money was meant for hospital bills and I happen to borrow the said money from some cooperative individuals?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by judgedredd22(m): 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
ChiefSweetus:

Stüpid.
Allowing corporates ride roughshod over you everytime will encourage continued terrible service.
Please let's have sense. The West didn't develop by being "meek" or complacent.

don't mind the shallow minded youth of today that have refused to educate their minds for their own betterment!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by DanseMacabre(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
nairalandfreak:

People like you are the reason Nigerian companies and organisations keep cheating their customers

He was actually being sarcastic.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by do4luv14(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
nairalandfreak:

People like you are the reason Nigerian companies and organisations keep cheating their customers

he was rite on what he said,
mind you, the ATM:s always provides options regularly,

when his account was debited, without money coming out, he should have approach the bank as he did,

but refunding his money back is the duty of his bank, " diamond"
its as simple as ABC,

call a security explain to him, go to de bank explain, they contact you bank, and give you a note, then you approach your bank with the note to credit you acct back, simple

N.T > its a personal experience between sterling ATM, and GTB
and money was credited back

so the lawyer is looking for cheap cash period,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by kpaofame: 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
kings09:
U mean lagos n oyo states? grin

shocked shocked
kweke see me see world people ooo grin grin grin

State na State...it is implied anyone you think na u sabi undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Sylva2147: 6:09pm On Jun 01, 2017
DLuciano:
The guy is a hungry lawyer, seeking for every little avenue to enrich himself. A typical Nigerian is hospitable, tolerant, patient and sacrificial.
That is the right thing to do, if only everyone can do the same they wouldn't have been doing such to customers but because we always overlook things that's why they find it very comfortable. Do you know the pain they course thousands if not millions of Nigerians through this?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Sylva2147: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
Sunofgod:
No court will set such a precedent..... ATM's always go faulty.
are you saying that they are right by not reversing his money or what?
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by israelchinedu: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
that is very good if there are not ready for cashless banking let them tell us because am going to do the same to firstbank
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by HOTARIO(m): 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2017
Each case on its own facts bro. That is how the machinery of the law grinds. Justice for a claimant is not what the claimant thinks it is or should be. It is what the extant law (statutory and case law) have laid down as guiding principles for the particular set of facts as may be be applicable in each instance.

judgedredd22:
from 50% of the responses on this topic, i can deduce that this country is devoid of hope for a better tomorrow.
A man has been maligned by a business that is set up for profit, he is seeking compensation and most people here are finding it funny and amusing.... it is a big shame!

You people should go and educate yourselves on how the legal process works so as to be better informed.

Yet, a good number of you are dreaming of moving to america or somewhere in europe.... have you asked yourselves why businesses in these places, especially the big ones don't joke around with any customer - even the least of them? The slightest mistake that causes any customer grief will see you paying your half years profit as compensation to that customer. The lawyers and the judicial systems in these countries live for these type of cases and that is why every aspect of their society functions the way it should. Social advancements and inventions for better living usually come from these type of law suits. Imagine if every single person that feels wronged by any business files a lawsuit and claims damages, do you know how many businesses - both government and private that will step up their game and procedures?

for example.....

In probably the most famous example of a seemingly trivial legal action is Liebeck v. McDonald’s Restaurants, also known as the McDonald’s coffee case and the hot coffee lawsuit

In 1992 Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, bought a cup of coffee from a drive through McDonalds and as she removed the lid, spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.

She was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.

Hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment she sued the fast food giant claiming it was too hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment.

She won an astonishing £1.7million.

As a result of this, McDonald's stopped serving extremely hot coffee, except on request by the customer.

Do you think what the man is doing up there in the story is still trivial? undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by fxskye: 6:13pm On Jun 01, 2017
Most comments here really show that most Nigerians don't understand their civic/customer right. The sue is ok but court reserves the right to grant his prayer (which is not likely though). However, he will get commensurable compensation if all facts were proven beyond reasonable doubts.

Implication of this case to banks.
It will make the banks to sit up to their primary responsibility of securing customer deposit
Bank would become more efficient in resolving transaction errors, especially the e-transaction errors like this one

Another corporate "unscrupulous" revenue means by Nigerian banks is the mandatory of SMS Alert Service by CBN on all individual account holders across all the banks.

Where as you insist not to subscribe for the service, bank gives you indemnity form which contains risky clauses that would frighten you from sign it.

Check out this Indemnity Form from GTB over SMS Alert Service Decline. The clauses on it are dangerous to be sign off. How on earth would GTB make me believe that Security to my Account lies solely on SMS Alert Service?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 01, 2017
Most of those rubbishing him, i laff at your ignorance. Use google. look uo the law of the internet and see whether or not he has a right to sue and if at all , his course is actionable. He should also sue the bank's isp provider for contributory negligence.

When u=you make an offer to the public that you advertising your professionalism, an another relies on it to make a decision, you are liable.

Much more when you deliberately or compulsorily compel them physically and psychologically to do an act that will benefit you, should he suffer any loss due to a failure on your part, you are liable.

Does he have action very well, yes. Has he fulfilled condition precedent before rushing to court?
That i cant say.
If he is a smart lawyer, he is sure to win. He should have added exemplary damages, so that charity organisations could benefit.
Hope one day i will be the one filing such an action. Na common letter mine dey end.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Sylva2147: 6:15pm On Jun 01, 2017
do4luv14:

he was rite on what he said,
mind you, the ATM:s always provides options regularly,

when his account was debited, without money coming out, he should have approach the bank as he did,

but refunding his money back is the duty of his bank, " diamond"
its as simple as ABC,

call a security explain to him, go to de bank explain, they contact you bank, and give you a note, then you approach your bank with the note to credit you acct back, simple

N.T > its a personal experience between sterling ATM, and GTB
and money was credited back

so the lawyer is looking for cheap cash period,
it is the duty of access bank not diamond bank. the ATM he used debited his account not his bank.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by abbey621(m): 6:18pm On Jun 01, 2017
PrinceMario:
Oga read am wella, the ATM default policy is to refund you after 24 hours... The man has not got a refund after months, with their customer care throwing you jab as if it's not your pay .

Let him sue their ass... even if h doesn't get any compensation, it will send a very strong signal to them, to always address customers nicely.

Go and read it well, make sure you read the part that indemnifies the company against legal actions relating to technical issues such as this one.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by janefarms2015: 6:19pm On Jun 01, 2017
DLuciano:
The guy is a hungry lawyer, seeking for every little avenue to enrich himself. A typical Nigerian is hospitable, tolerant, patient and sacrificial.

Im sorry, ure too narrow minded, why not think before u comment? These banks reap u nd I off through many of their fradulent policies, how will our country develop with people like you?
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2017
access bank did the same thing to my room mate when I was an undergraduate. she kept going to the bank to beg them to reverse her 10,000 (it was money for her feeding and other expenses then in school) until she got tired and left them with God.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by seunny4lif(m): 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2017
Justuceleague2:

I wonder wetin make dem those 3 guys dey laugh grin
Me self no know ooooh grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by rhektor(m): 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2017
DLuciano:

And this has been the reason for our country to be the way it is. Of every aggrieved parties has been suing maybe things would have been better. Until you have used your card three times you shouldn't be charged #65 but what did fcmb do for me yesterday I was debited twice yesterday for withdrawing just 17000 naira, they purposesly made sure their machine won't pay above 10000 naira so I have to withdraw twice then I only made use of the card twice and was debited twice. Isn't that a fraud? The same thing that has made politicaians to plunge us into this present serious situation. Sue them let them keep paying damages to serve as deterrent to others

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by janefarms2015: 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2017
specter:
Most of those rubbishing him, i laff at your ignorance. Use google. look uo the law of the internet and see whether or not he has a right to sue and if at all , his course is actionable. He should also sue the bank's isp provider for contributory negligence.

When u=you make an offer to the public that you advertising your professionalism, an another relies on it to make a decision, you are liable.

Much more when you deliberately or compulsorily compel them physically and psychologically to do an act that will benefit you, should he suffer any loss due to a failure on your part, you are liable.

Does he have action very well, yes. Has he fulfilled condition precedent before rushing to court?
That i cant say.
If he is a smart lawyer, he is sure to win. He should have added exemplary damages, so that charity organisations could benefit.
Hope one day i will be the one filing such an action. Na common letter mine dey end.

Why do u waste ur time replying laymen? They will never understand all these legal implications of the bank's actions, reasons why we are here today in d country wt d present situations is due to ignorance on d part of most Nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by breezeng: 6:26pm On Jun 01, 2017
This is a step in the right direction. Not everyone will sit down in the comfort of there home and wait for miracle that will change the postures of our banks. I give kudos to this lawyer, either he's hungry or not, that is not the bone of contention. Look at CBN , doing nothing as banks went on rampage by fixing indiscriminate rate for online purchases. It's unfortunate. Maybe if they have attended to the lawyer and do the needful, he might not go to court. This will serve as different to our banks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Sylva2147: 6:26pm On Jun 01, 2017
specter:

That i cant say.
The major sickness most of us are suffering from in this country is ignorance. people expect the young lawyer to sit down and clap for the bankers for not reversing his money. everything is been done electronically, the moment he uses the ATM and money was not dispense will all show during their checks and balances but because of their negligence they allowed it so they should pay for their negligence.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by ejanla077: 6:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
sleazy5:
Though a wrong has been committed against Mr. Musa by access bank. I honestly do not see a cause of action in defamation... well I may be wrong...

character was defamed because the church members gossiped dat he chop d money.

dem be dey think say him get money. come chop comon 40k.... defamation of character
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 01, 2017
fxskye:
Most comments here really show that most Nigerians don't understand their civic/customer right. The sue is ok but court reserves the right to grant his prayer (which is not likely though). However, he will get commensurable compensation if all facts were proven beyond reasonable doubts.

Implication of this case to banks.
It will make the banks to sit up to their primary responsibility of securing customer deposit
Bank would become more efficient in resolving transaction errors, especially the e-transaction errors like this one

Another corporate "unscrupulous" revenue means by Nigerian banks is the mandatory of SMS Alert Service by CBN on all individual account holders across all the banks.

Where as you insist not to subscribe for the service, bank gives you indemnity form which contains risky clauses that would frighten you from sign it.

Check out this Indemnity Form from GTB over SMS Alert Service Decline. The clauses on it are dangerous to be sign off. How on earth would GTB make me believe that Security to my Account lies solely on SMS Alert Service?

They are joking and they know it.

they wanna rely on the fact that parties are bound by the terms of their contract, and in the alternative, create a pool of funds like an insurance stuff be psychologically conditioning their customers to believe that they, the banks, are acting in their best interest. Another way to steal money, and also indemnify few a cases sure as the aforementioned that may not go in their favour.

Just imagine, they decide to deduct N120 naira only from each of their customers account and lets assume of their about 8 million customers, they deduct 120 naira from about 6,000,000 customers ( **not actual figures), that will be about N 720,000,000 ( Seven hundred and twenty million naira) monthly.

In a year that will be about N 8,640,000,000( 8.64 Billion naira annually).

So who wins? the CUSTOMER OR THE BANK?

They capitalize on the ignorance of the majority to have a filled day. More or less day light robbery for what is originally their EXCLUSIVE duty to provide.

For any money in your bank account, is considered a loan to the bank.
Meaning the bank is your debtor and your debtor can not allege that it was, or is your fault that the money you loaned him/her is missing when it is their duty to ensure the money is safe at all material time, till you officially request for it and the teller or records being kept by the bank of which you are entitled to a copy, is invariably akin to you signing a deed of release acknowledging that the bank has paid you either all or part of what they owe you.

If still in doubt, pick up the British pound and take a cursory look at the terms stated therein.

I rise.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by do4luv14(m): 6:34pm On Jun 01, 2017
Sylva2147:
it is the duty of access bank not diamond bank. the ATM he used debited his account not his bank.

I don't think you understand the process involves,

when such hapen, first is to report to the security, to come and validate your claims, then you go too the bank to complain, and obtain a note from Dem as some case maybe as well as fill some forms,

then you go to your bank who den contact access to varicy you position then refund you,

the processes of external ATM withdrawal is like loan or credits, wich at the ends of bizness is remit into the external banks acct by the internal bank,

I.E at the end of bis, diamond bank will credit access bank and debit his account, hence the note and contact from the two banks to refund his money

hope you get me here

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2017
mosegifted:
Na here you go fear niga and hustling
realestniggah:
this one nah thief

100m for where he go see dat one.

Sirpaul:
my guys just say that you need fundsss
make we raise am for u...
...........shift
anochuko01:
leave the bank and face the ATM machinegrin
Lawalemi:
Opportunist.
justi4jesu:
100million....lol grin grin grin grin
seunny4lif:
grin grin
See ole oooooh grin grin grin
tgmservice:
Aboki lawyer wey hunger don finish dey look for cheap money
Sunofgod:
DLuciano:
ikbnice:
If everyone has been suing for issues like this, many banks in Nigeria will no longer exist.
Sunofgod:
Just look at them! Well, that is the way of thinking of the average Nigerian youth. Sometimes we think our corrupt leaders are Nigeria's problem but if you want to know what Nigeria's problem is then you only need to read the posts above.
So an ATM goes faulty, what is wrong with reversing the transaction once the customer complains? Do you know how many customers those banks rip off that way daily? Will these same banks give you #50,000 for your start-up without interest? Yet a a person's account was wrongly debited and it takes them forever to rectify it. My money has been held back too and I have gone to the bank several times, they are yet to reverse it and here are you people thinking they should not be sued. It is an exploitative act by the banks and see you Nigerian youths defending it. Na wa oh! Government oppress us we smile, politicians steal from us we carry placards and defend them, banks and multinationals exploit us and we accept it and make bizzare remarks like 'The guy is a hungry lawyer, seeking for every little avenue to enrich himself. A typical Nigerian is hospitable, tolerant, patient and sacrificial.' Just imagine some poor, unemployed Nigerian referring to Panya Baba's son as hungry as if they know anything about him. lol he is royalty, he cannot be hungry like you!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by lovetruth(m): 6:39pm On Jun 01, 2017
realestniggah:
this one nah thief

100m for where he go see dat one.

do u knw wat those guy get frm charges
nd stil debit without paying if dat man 4get dat money dy wil sit on it nd if u own bank money ahh dy got no chil dis case only God cn judge
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by ashawopikin(m): 6:41pm On Jun 01, 2017
demo4ril97:
Mr. Musa needs za cool money kaji!
my priend u are kwarect walahi
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by greatefa1011(m): 6:42pm On Jun 01, 2017
nairalandfreak:

Waitooo. Is the Pastor of this Church aware of this your move or...?
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 01, 2017

nairalandfreak:

i'm also greatly disturbed at the 6 m0r0ns who liked his comment!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by ollyruffy: 6:56pm On Jun 01, 2017
It is a shame that some people here are condemning the action of this Nigerian lawyer. Same way Nigerians cannot hold their leaders accountable for their actions.

How will this country progress when the odds of the world have become the norms to Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Sylva2147: 7:02pm On Jun 01, 2017
do4luv14:

I don't think you understand the process involves,

when such hapen, first is to report to the security, to come and validate your claims, then you go too the bank to complain, and obtain a note from Dem as some case maybe as well as fill some forms,

then you go to your bank who den contact access to varicy you position then refund you,

the processes of external ATM withdrawal is like loan or credits, wich at the ends of bizness is remit into the external banks acct by the internal bank,

I.E at the end of bis, diamond bank will credit access bank and debit his account, hence the note and contact from the two banks to refund his money

hope you get me here
Yeah you are right we are saying the same thing but difference is the explanation.
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by Dfinex(f): 7:04pm On Jun 01, 2017
DJInfluence:
which stress did he went thru that is worth 100M? He never talk wetin he really dey after.

Don't mind that coconut head lawyer, they didn't tell him that he is supposed to channel his complaints to his bank - diamond bank
Re: Nigerian Lawyer Sues Access Bank For Failed ATM Transaction, Demands N100m by alizma: 7:05pm On Jun 01, 2017
veekid:
So we can sue those idiots for dummy ATMs! Okay; GTB; I'm coming
guy, that same bank is my target too. my money is there since last year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Banks Still Collecting Old Naira? / Emefiele Apologizes To Nigerians For Online Transaction Failures (Video) / Cost Of Living In Lagos, Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.