Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly (11324 Views)

11 Things You Should Check In Your Car Regularly / 10 Important Things To Check Regularly In Your Car / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 11:44am On Jun 06, 2017
Nuezha:

5000kM interval, except for high speed/long distance travellers.
Bro sincerely how does ur high speed and long distance affect interval of oil change ? All literatures point to milage only and time scale.so do U have any evidence of your stated reasons ?
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by shekauvsbuhari: 1:11pm On Jun 06, 2017
Please i have a sound toyota corolla 98 model but manufactured in 2003 and I hav been using mobil xhp oil. I heard that mobil 1 is a better oil for cars but a mechanic I asked said it is not necessary to go 4 de more expensive mobil1. Pls what do U advise.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by Nuezha(m): 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2017
erico2k2:

Bro sincerely how does ur high speed and long distance affect interval of oil change ? All literatures point to milage only and time scale.so do U have any evidence of your stated reasons ?

If you do not know you ask.
Oil is depleted at high speed even with a very sound engine, the fraction may be negligibly small for brand new cars.
Oil is heated up and blackened at high and sustained speed making it to lose its predesigned viscosity.

If you own a car, never use the 'books' to service it. But rather, consider it's intensity of use if you do not want to damage your engine very quickly.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 4:43pm On Jun 06, 2017
Nuezha:

If you do not know you ask.
Oil is depleted at high speed even with a very sound engine, the fraction may be negligibly small for brand new cars.
Oil is heated up and blackened at high and sustained speed making it to lose its predesigned viscosity.

If you own a car, never use the 'books' to service it. But rather, consider it's intensity of use if you do not want to damage your engine very quickly.
Saying never use the book to service your car is equal to saying an ilitrate is driving a car, and That is the plain truth, cars come with service history/records.Why on earth will you give or tell a person not to follow instructions as per service on thier book is beyond comprehension.
Now, Oil disintegrate as per usage and does not brake down due to heat alone that is constant as specified in your Engine spec.(Normal Operating temperature)
Weather you are driving at 300 miles per hour or 100 miles per hour you Engine temperature is constant once you reach optimum operation.
Now cars like the range rover have a webasto to heat the Engine coolant to make it warm up quick in cold weather.
Reasons your Engine Oil will brake down
Oxidation
Moisture
Viscosity loss
Fuel dilution
High Heat
Manufacturers of these Oils know at what mileage this will all occur and stipulate when to have an Oil change 3000 miles minimum, even synthetic can go for 5000 miles or more, the 5W30 can go up to 10000 if full synthetic in some models.

1 Like

Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by billy187(m): 8:15pm On Jun 06, 2017
erico2k2:

Bro what car are you using 5W30 on oz?

In a 2003 Ford Focus wagon. Owners manual states 5w20 but then the car was from Canada, so I decided to go with the recommended oil for the model in other countries.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 8:17pm On Jun 06, 2017
billy187:

In a 2003 Ford Focus wagon. Owners manual states 5w20 but then the car was from Canada, so I decided to go with the recommended oil for the model in other countries.
which is?
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by billy187(m): 8:28pm On Jun 06, 2017
erico2k2:
which is?
5w30
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 8:36pm On Jun 06, 2017
billy187:

5w30
I still think U should stick to what your book says. 30 is thicker than 20
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by Nuezha(m): 10:02pm On Jun 06, 2017
erico2k2:

Saying never use the book to service your car is equal to saying an ilitrate is driving a car, and That is the plain truth, cars come with service history/records.Why on earth will you give or tell a person not to follow instructions as per service on thier book is beyond comprehension.
Now, Oil disintegrate as per usage and does not brake down due to heat alone that is constant as specified in your Engine spec.(Normal Operating temperature)
Weather you are driving at 300 miles per hour or 100 miles per hour you Engine temperature is constant once you reach optimum operation.
Now cars like the range rover have a webasto to heat the Engine coolant to make it warm up quick in cold weather.
Oxidation
Moisture
Viscosity loss
Fuel dilution
High Heat
Manufacturers of these Oils know at what mileage this will all occur and stipulate when to have an Oil change 3000 miles minimum, even synthetic can go for 5000 miles or more, the 5W30 can go up to 10000 if full synthetic in some models.

Oga mi, this theory is good for a robot that does everything correctly.
I service my '03 Accord every month cos I fire it through 3000kM a month, and when I drain the oil, it's as black as charcoal. But I barely service the '014 corolla cos it scarcely goes far. Even at 7000kM the oil is still golden.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 10:07pm On Jun 06, 2017
Nuezha:

I service my '03 Accord every month cos I fire it through 3000kM a month, and when I drain the oil, it's as black as charcoal. But I barely service the '014 corolla cos it scarcely goes far. Even at 7000kM the oil is still golden.
Robot ke?
servicing ur car monthly is money down the drain, if by service you mean oil change.btw, try and Buy Original specif oil for that car you will reduce the amount of times U change oil cos your pocket will remind you. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by petraek: 11:17pm On Jun 06, 2017
what of gear oil, do we also need to change it regularly too...
your gear oil should also be changed regularly every ten to fifteen thousand KM
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by petraek: 11:29pm On Jun 06, 2017
Nuezha:

The speed of a vehicle has nothing to do with the scheduled timeline of oil change....you need to find out the kind of engine oil you use for the corolla ..to find out if it is the recommended spec.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 11:49pm On Jun 06, 2017
petraek:
what of gear oil, do we also need to change it regularly too...
your gear oil should also be changed regularly every ten to fifteen thousand KM
Hmm I think you should go by waht your book says, cos in some car, its for life ie BMWs Merc and Range rovers, they are for life
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by ezef2k4(m): 3:16am On Mar 08, 2019
I have learnt a lot already. Pls what is the recommended oil for a Toyota Corolla 2003 model. The Motor manual is in an unknown language so I cannot make anything out of it.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:23am On Mar 11, 2019
ezef2k4:
I have learnt a lot already. Pls what is the recommended oil for a Toyota Corolla 2003 model. The Motor manual is in an unknown language so I cannot make anything out of it.

then google for the manual. PDF versions of car manuals are available online
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by alphaNomega: 4:44am On Mar 12, 2019
erico2k2:

Oxidation
Moisture
Viscosity loss
Fuel dilution
High Heat

That shít made no sense I had to bring it back
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2019
alphaNomega:

That shít made no sense I had to bring it back
Since U jumped into the middle of the convo with ur 2019 account, in ur own opinion write ur own shit that will make sense since you do not agree to service one's car as per manufacturers requirement as said on its service book, go on then tell me how you know when to change your Oil.
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by alphaNomega: 6:04pm On Mar 12, 2019
erico2k2:

Since U jumped into the middle of the convo with ur 2019 account, in ur own opinion write ur own shit that will make sense since you do not agree to service one's car as per manufacturers requirement as said on its service book, go on then tell me how you know when to change your Oil.

Lol. No bro. I was referring to the guy you quoted. I hope he has sense now.

Ha ha grin
Re: Why We Need To Change Motor (Engine) Oil Regularly by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On Mar 12, 2019
alphaNomega:

Lol. No bro. I was referring to the guy you quoted. I hope he has sense now.

Ha ha grin
Ahahahahah My bad friendly fire

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has Your Car Key Been Locked Inside Your Share Your Experience / Your Speedometer: How Often Do You Check It? / Auto Maintenance Issues. How Often Have You:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.