Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount (11202 Views)

4 Symptoms You’ll Notice If The Water Pump Of Your Car Is Bad Or Failing / 7 Obvious Symptoms To Know A Damaged Fuel Injector / Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by AutoJoshNG: 11:29am On Aug 06, 2018
The function of the engine mount is to properly secure the car engine to the body of the car. There are different kinds of engine mounts depending on which car it's going to be used on. However, they all perform the same function – securing the engine to the chassis.

The engine mount comprises of metal and rubber as seen in the picture below.

When there is problem with your car engine mount, the vibrations and forces coming from the engine will be directly dealing with your car. When this happens, it would be very noticeable as you use your car.

Below are the symptoms to detect a bad or failing engine mount.

1. Engine vibration:
As said earlier, when the rubber that is meant to absorb or dampen the engine goes bad, the engine will vibrate excessively.
This vibration will distribute significantly throughout the body of the car. All these will make it very uncomfortable for the driver and passengers.

2. There would be engine movement:
With a good working engine mount, the engine should be secured to the chassis of your car. When the mount goes bad, the engine will tend to move back and forth.
This movement will be well pronounced during acceleration.

3. Noise from the engine bay:
Expect to hear various noises coming from the engine bay when the engine mount goes bad.
The noises you hear are as a result of the engine shifting and weights to the point of contact.

Are there other symptoms you noticed when the engine mount of your car went bad? Kindly tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/3-symptoms-to-detect-a-bad-or-failing-engine-mount/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Imustreturn(m): 12:19pm On Aug 06, 2018
Nigerians go be like let me manage it like that!!

12 Likes

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Alvin007: 6:28am On Sep 07, 2018
So as not to confuse people.. grin.’Engine mounts’ are fondly called ‘Engine seats’ here in Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Nobody: 6:31am On Sep 07, 2018
You will be hearing Gbudu gbudu gbudu as u enter galop and ur Gear will do Gbom! as you put it in reverse.

14 Likes

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by miqos02(m): 11:07am On Sep 07, 2018
Cool
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by miqos02(m): 11:08am On Sep 07, 2018
Pipedreams:
You will be hearing Gbudu gbudu gbudu as u enter galop and ur Gear will do Gbom! as you put it in reverse.
lol
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 07, 2018
No wonder my neighbours car keep jerking off shocked
I thought it was the spark plug
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Josh44s(m): 11:10am On Sep 07, 2018
Without a good engine mount, a car vibration can fall pregnancy or give somebody BP.
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by ct2: 11:12am On Sep 07, 2018
thanks very educative

2 Likes

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by SeriouslySense(m): 11:12am On Sep 07, 2018
AAC 2019, Sowore For President, take it back, watch videos of Sowore.

1 Like

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by captainking(m): 11:27am On Sep 07, 2018
i wanna get confirmation from the gurus here..is bad engine mount the reason my car vibrates when its not in idle(park/neutral)..let me properly explain it..if the car is engaged in park or neutral, it idles smooth without vibrations but if i put it in drive and step on brakes, it vibrates though not violently..but once i accelerate..it dosent vibrate. a mechie once told me that one of the engine mounts is bad and needs to be changed but i dont trust the mechie cos he almost once scammed me. honda accord 2005..nurey.,,,gazzuzz..alvin007...egunmojagi and other gurus..i also call on the chief recipient of Demeanors wrath international..high chief dancok to come and contribute,,,,obekediamondfuto
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Alvin007: 11:30am On Sep 07, 2018
captainking:
i wanna get confirmation from the gurus here..is bad engine mount the reason my car vibrates when its not in idle(park/neutral)..let me properly explain it..if the car is engaged in park or neutral, it idles smooth without vibrations but if i put it in drive and step on brakes, it vibrates though not violently..but once i accelerate..it dosent vibrate. a mechie once told me that one of the engine mounts is bad and needs to be changed but i dont trust the mechie cos he almost once scammed me. honda accord 2005..nurey.,,,gazzuzz..alvin007...egunmojagi and other gurus..i also call on the chief recipient of Demeanors wrath international..high chief dancok to come and contribute,,,,obekediamondfuto

If there are no misfires recorded, the mounts are the possible culprits. The reason you notice it when you hit the brakes and engage the gear on ‘drive’, is because faulty engine mounts are mostly noticeable on low ‘rpm’. Kindly, change the faulty ones when you can..it can cause more havoc on your engine.
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by captainking(m): 11:34am On Sep 07, 2018
Alvin007:

If there are no misfires recorded, the mounts are the possible culprits. The reason you notice it when you hit the brakes and engage the gear on ‘drive’, is because faulty engine mounts are mostly noticeable on low ‘rpm’. Kindly, change the faulty ones when you can..it can cause more havoc on your engine.
i scan my car on a daily,,,..no misfire codes at all..i guess i will have to change the faulty engine mounts though..thanks
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Brevir: 11:38am On Sep 07, 2018
Although I'm not listed as a guru, but based on experience and the info you provided as 'not vibrating violently,' I'll say your car is doing OK.
You may however want to run a check on the transmission instead if its not been having this behavior before.

captainking:
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by captainking(m): 11:46am On Sep 07, 2018
Brevir:
Although I'm not listed as a guru, but based on experience and the info you provided as 'not vibrating violently,' I'll say your car is doing OK.
You may however want to run a check on the transmission instead if its not been having this behavior before.

the transmission is fine...the oil is still pink...i guess it has to do with the engine mount...
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by MayorofLagos(m): 11:56am On Sep 07, 2018
captainking:

the transmission is fine...the oil is still pink...i guess it has to do with the engine mount...

Open the bonnet. Let somebody sit in to start and put car in gear (stationary with foot on break) and observe the engine. You will see the block jerk forward if the dampers (rubber seats in the mount) are gone and need replacement.

Dont stand in front of car during this exercise. grin

3 Likes

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by PRINCEVICKEY: 12:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
Pipedreams:

God bless u ... rewire chop my money on dis issue TELLING ME TO BUY SENSOR WHICH I GOTTHE BIGGER ONE FOR 8K AND THE SMALL ONE FOR 6K....ATLAST same story ...untill i met a god fearing mecho that inform me dis ... i will do that tomorrow..NEWS LIKE DIS IS WHAT WE WANT NOT NEWS OF TONTO DICK OR SLAY MAMA AND DAVIDO AND CO ...RUBBISH

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by oyepaulkay(m): 12:00pm On Sep 07, 2018
With a good working engine mount, the engine should be secured to the chassis of your car. When the mount goes bad, the engine will tend to move back and forth.

This is more obvious when you change gears when your car is stationary.
For auto, you'll feel it if you shift from Park to Reverse or Neutral to drive....and you can see it if you open your bonnet and let someone shift for you.

1 Like

Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by captainking(m): 12:22pm On Sep 07, 2018
MayorofLagos:

Open the bonnet. Let somebody sit in to start and put car in gear (stationary with foot on break) and observe the engine. You will see the block jerk forward if the dampers (rubber seats in the mount) are gone and need replacement.

Dont stand in front of car during this exercise. grin
hahaha,,..yea i know this,,,so where will i now stand?? under the car or untop the car??lol
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 07, 2018
PRINCEVICKEY:

God bless u ... rewire chop my money on dis issue TELLING ME TO BUY SENSOR WHICH I GOTTHE BIGGER ONE FOR 8K AND THE SMALL ONE FOR 6K....ATLAST same story ...untill i met a god fearing mecho that inform me dis ... i will do that tomorrow..NEWS LIKE DIS IS WHAT WE WANT NOT NEWS OF TONTO DICK OR SLAY MAMA AND DAVIDO AND CO ...RUBBISH

Lol noises near ur engine bay cannot be rewire problem na. U need to read more about cars
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by PRINCEVICKEY: 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
Pipedreams:

Lol noises near ur engine bay cannot be rewire problem na. U need to read more about cars

this is not noise matter .... wen it enters reverse it jack before moving back ...its engine seat
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by Helpfromabove1(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2018
captainking:

hahaha,,..yea i know this,,,so where will i now stand?? under the car or untop the car??lol

Oga stand beside the car and put a shoke on the four tyres
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by t12tosin: 2:55pm On Sep 07, 2018
Imustreturn:
Nigerians go be like let me manage it like that!!

What do u xpect?
I Neva eat belleful, one car sit dey demand repair...I go manage am like that
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by captainking(m): 3:50pm On Sep 07, 2018
Helpfromabove1:

Oga stand beside the car and put a shoke on the four tyres
wickid somebori..i know what to do
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by ORACULUM(m): 4:01pm On Sep 07, 2018
Alvin007:
So as not to confuse people.. grin.’Engine mounts’ are fondly called ‘Engine seats’ here in Nigeria.
Talk am as e be ..Na Engine sitting..over sabi no go kill me
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by newman10(m): 4:53pm On Sep 07, 2018
Alvin007:

Oga Alvin007, my own car vibrates when on idle in gear when AC is on, but in motion, whether AC is ON or not, it doesn't vibrate. I drive a 2005 Camry. So when in slight hold up, I have to put my car in Park or neutral or turn off AC completely. Could this be engine mounts too?
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by DownloadFt(m): 5:29pm On Sep 07, 2018
Amazing, i never new about this before now.
Re: 3 Symptoms To Detect A Bad Or Failing Engine Mount by deebrownneymar: 6:04pm On Sep 07, 2018
AutoJoshNG:
The function of the engine mount is to properly secure the car engine to the body of the car. There are different kinds of engine mounts depending on which car it's going to be used on. However, they all perform the same function – securing the engine to the chassis.

The engine mount comprises of metal and rubber as seen in the picture below.

When there is problem with your car engine mount, the vibrations and forces coming from the engine will be directly dealing with your car. When this happens, it would be very noticeable as you use your car.

Below are the symptoms to detect a bad or failing engine mount.

1. Engine vibration:
As said earlier, when the rubber that is meant to absorb or dampen the engine goes bad, the engine will vibrate excessively.
This vibration will distribute significantly throughout the body of the car. All these will make it very uncomfortable for the driver and passengers.

3. Noise from the engine bay:
Expect to hear various noises coming from the engine bay when the engine mount goes bad.
The noises you hear are as a result of the engine shifting and weights to the point of contact.

Are there other symptoms you noticed when the engine mount of your car went bad? Kindly tell us in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/3-symptoms-to-detect-a-bad-or-failing-engine-mount/

Very informative. I experienced points 1 & 2 before I had the mounts replaced 3 months ago.

AutoJosh you should start a social group for car lovers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Costly Is Honda Civic To Maintain / Please Help Me With Info About Peugeot 406 Prestige / Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.