Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? (633 Views)

Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? / A Measure Of Worst Labour Law / Nigerian Workers Will Now Get N56,000 As Minimum Wage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? by chetaobi(m): 9:00am On Jun 02, 2017
Recently the owner of an artificial hair manufacturing company based in Lagos, a Korean, discovered that the company’s employees (factory workers) were being underpaid, especially when he and the executive board of the company had made provisions for the factory hands to be well paid. A fulltime factory worker was to be paid eighty thousand naira (N80,000.00) a month, while a casual worker was to be paid fifty thousand naira (N50,000.00) a month.

Unfortunately, he found out that full time workers were paid fifty thousand naira (N50,000) a month and a casual worker was being paid twenty five thousand naira (N25,000) monthly. He had to demand that his workers lay down their tools and demand for their diverted salaries. The line managers and seniors and maybe the employee labour unions had diverted these funds to their pockets.

Does the Nigerian labor act or law, protect the interests of Nigerian workers…..their welfare and safety at work? Is it true that it is only multi-national companies who apply these laws to their employees and just a few Nigerian companies who have to apply these laws because of the compliance policies of the big companies they work for?

Do you think that the government is not interested in enforcing these laws but rather collecting taxes and levies from the employers?

Do you think that Nigerian workers are ignorant to learn about their rights in the workplace under the labour act/law?

Do you think the high levels of illiteracy in the country determines this ignorance about the labour law in Nigeria?

Do you think that the desperation to secure jobs in the country ensures that Nigerian workers keep quiet about their unpleasant workplace conditions?

Re: Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? by keko14: 9:29am On Jun 02, 2017
chetaobi:
Recently the owner of an artificial hair manufacturing company based in Lagos, a Korean, discovered that the company’s employees (factory workers) were being underpaid, especially when he and the executive board of the company had made provisions for the factory hands to be well paid. A fulltime factory worker was to be paid eighty thousand naira (N80,000.00) a month, while a casual worker was to be paid fifty thousand naira (N50,000.00) a month.

Unfortunately, he found out that full time workers were paid fifty thousand naira (N50,000) a month and a casual worker was being paid twenty five thousand naira (N25,000) monthly. He had to demand that his workers lay down their tools and demand for their diverted salaries. The line managers and seniors and maybe the employee labour unions had diverted these funds to their pockets.

Does the Nigerian labor act or law, protect the interests of Nigerian workers…..their welfare and safety at work? Is it true that it is only multi-national companies who apply these laws to their employees and just a few Nigerian companies who have to apply these laws because of the compliance policies of the big companies they work for?

Do you think that the government is not interested in enforcing these laws but rather collecting taxes and levies from the employers?

Do you think that Nigerian workers are ignorant to learn about their rights in the workplace under the labour act/law?

Do you think the high levels of illiteracy in the country determines this ignorance about the labour law in Nigeria?

Do you think that the desperation to secure jobs in the country ensures that Nigerian workers keep quiet about their unpleasant workplace conditions?

Our so called labour law is just theory not practical. I remember my lecturer once told me that when one secure job as a temporary staff after one year the job should b review either to make it permanent or otherwise, but today u see some workers on temporary employment for years.
God will help our country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? by chetaobi(m): 9:43am On Jun 02, 2017
Yeah it actually happened to me in my last place of work. I was not made a permanent staff, my salary wasn't increased and worst of all, I was owed a whole year half salary. We need our representatives and senators and the minister of labour to enforce this law in Nigeria. But we can't do that if we keep quiet.

angry
keko14:

Our so called labour law is just theory not practical. I remember my lecturer once told me that when one secure job as a temporary staff after one year the job should b review either to make it permanent or otherwise, but today u see some workers on temporary employment for years.
God will help our country.
Re: Does The Nigerian Labour Law Protect Nigerian Workers? by keko14: 10:00am On Jun 02, 2017
chetaobi:
Yeah it actually happened to me in my last place of work. I was not made a permanent staff, my salary wasn't increased and worst of all, I was owed a whole year half salary. We need our representatives and senators and the minister of labour to enforce this law in Nigeria. But we can't do that if we keep quiet.

angry
bro the truth is the Sen an rep are cognizant about the treatment of most Nigeria workers.
since they can't provide jobs and the little one that give what did u expect they to do or say.
went for an interview yesterday, what i saw I wish I never know this country called Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Needed For Immediate Engagement / Site Admin @ Taewoo LP Limited / Urgent Recruitment - Maintenance Supervisor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.