Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,220 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad (1669 Views)

Delta Doctors And Nurses Refuse To Attend To Accident Victim (Disturbing Photos) / World's Hottest Looking Black Doctors And Nurses (Photos) / Isha Sesay, CNN Journalist Commends Nigerian Doctors And Nurses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by onismate: 9:37am On Jun 03, 2017
This should sound as concern to the Nigerian Government and ministry of health. Few weeks ago I read on the news that Nigeria medical industry is short staffed, and there is a need for more doctors and nurses.

But the shame is that, in as much we are in need of more doctors and nurses in Nigeria, many of the few we have some of them are massively relocating to foreign countries to work. Does it mean that Nigeria trains doctors and nurses for other countries to make use of? I don’t really blame them. My sister is a nurse, so many of her nurse and doctor friends have moved abroad in search of greener pastures. And guess what, they are in high demand abroad. Our Nigerian Doctors and nurses are good.

My sister said they don’t value them here, there services are not really appreciated and there are no proper medical infrastructure. The pay in most of the foreign countries are much higher than in Nigeria.

Imagine some doctors being paid N250,000 with over work. But when their friends move to another country and begin to earn close to $20,000 to $30,000 or even more per month. Just convert it to Naira. He will tell his fellow doctor friends in Nigeria. Then the ones in Nigeria will feel they are losing out. Due to the high demand of doctors and nurses oversees, the other doctors in Nigeria will equally fight their way to go abroad, leaving us with fewer doctors.

Few weeks ago, a hospital in California offered about $20,000 to my sister’s friend who is a nurse. This one na monthly pay oo. And how much is she earning here? Just N150,000. The lady will soon finally move, others have left.

Nigerian Government should do something fast. We need massive restructuring of our health sector, from infrastructure to wages so Nigerians will have a better health care system. So our doctors and nurses won’t be relocating abroad.

https://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1387-high-demand-of-doctors-and-nurses-making-nigerian-health-practitioners-relocating-abroad

lalasticlala
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by SexyNairalander: 9:38am On Jun 03, 2017
booked

we engineers will soon join them although most of us are already going out

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by Angeleena(m): 9:39am On Jun 03, 2017
exactly..
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by thesicilian: 10:17am On Jun 03, 2017
A country that does not value its human resources, is that one a country?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by Baroba(m): 10:29am On Jun 03, 2017
Well Nigeria refuses to do the needful, our universities are basically a processing mill for health care workers destined for Middle East, US and Uk. Even small carribean islands are recruiting our medics..

I left Naija 7 years ago and i couldn't be happier, i just feel sorry for the patients in Nigeria..

Radiographers are in high demand in Hull Uk as we speak, if you know anyone pass on this info..

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by LegalBaby(f): 11:15am On Jun 03, 2017

Let me quote naijafresh:

Everyone keeps going on about medicine being a humane and caring profession and yes that is very TRUE! that is why doctors don't down tools at 5pm because their day shift has finished but carry on to ensure someone is stable enough and can be handed over before they go home etc but there is a very big difference

Medicine is NOT a charity! So please note the difference. There may be charitable hospitals etc but not everyone works in a charity organisation. Medicine is not a priesthood of some sort, when doctors take the hippocratic oath they dont promise to work for free.
They promise to do their best and it means sometimes working for free not ALWAYS working for free.

When was the last time you donated to a medical charity by the way? But you expect to get free treatment when you turn up because doctors are supposed to be 'charitable individuals'

Doctors need to get paid so they can care for their families and pay their bills.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by LegalBaby(f): 11:19am On Jun 03, 2017
Doctors would keep leaving unless they're given the right accord they deserve
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by ProfOrlando: 5:44pm On Jun 04, 2017
abeg which country has the best pay and working condition, make me sef migrate too.
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by nchekwube1: 1:44am On Jun 05, 2017
Dear business savvy healthcare providers,

I am seeking the right partners to launch a leading medical practice in Enugu. The clinic may be a specialty clinic focused on maternal-fetal medicine/fertility/pediatrics or may focus on diagnostics across the spectrum of medicine. Each partner's investment interest would also represent their voting right in the decision-making of the partnership. If there are any interested persons and anyone willing to give some insight/thoughts/feedback, you are welcome. Let's invest in ourselves and create the brighter future we dream of for ourselves and our future generations. I look forward to your response. Please do not allow lack of access to capital to suffocate your dreams of owning a leading healthcare practice. There are grants and loans available to those of us with the right healthcare experience and business knowledge. At least let us discuss your thoughts/reservations/obstacles. Thank you.
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by Repairnigeria(m): 11:50am On Jun 05, 2017
naija God save Nigeria from modern slavery
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
Soo very true and i'm on my way out too............
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by LegalBaby(f): 4:46pm On Dec 05, 2017
Doctors would keep leaving unless they're given the right accord they deserve
Re: Why Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Massively Relocating Abroad by Boldstar(m): 7:33pm On Dec 05, 2017
OP, over 70% of doctors in Nigeria earn less than 200k. There is no young doctor that does not wish to leave for better shores. After spending donkey years to study medicine with hope of better years ahead only to find people who did regular 4 year course are at more advantaged positions than you. I know doctors that earn 50 - 60k for 8-5periods.

It's not doctors alone leaving o. I'm aware of a good number of medical lab scientists, nurses, pharmacists and radiographers that have left Nigeria in the past 2 years.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Toothpaste Everybody Is Asking For. / Am I Pregnant? / Get A Complete CCTV Installation Package For Only 160k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.