Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) (57428 Views)

Jamb 2020 top Ten Most Sought-after Universities / JAMB Releases Most Preferred Universities In Nigeria Chosen By Jamb Candidates… / 10 Most Sought After Universities In Nigeria 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by FKO81(m): 11:35am On Jun 04, 2017
ThierryJay:

Sorry, I do not engage in tribalism.

That the highest number of top rated universities is in the southwest is a fact and not a matter of opinion or sentiments.

Same way, the northern part of the country is recognized as the most educationally disadvantaged region by statistics. If I tell you that the highest number of indigenous manufacturing industries is in Anambra/Abia, that is a fact which a SW person should not take offence to.

From available statistics in research, Web presence, innovations, international competitions, quality of graduates as evidenced in the corporate and academic sphere, Unical and Uniport do not match any of the unis I mentioned. I only missed out on FUTO cos I could not remember it's name but I agree it's on the same pedestal with FUTA.

So you see, objectivity should be based on factual representations and not on some quota system which you seem to believe in.
You are really touched by this information cheesy cheesy. I guess you've seen list of students that gained admissions from degree awarding institutions in Nigeria from 2012-2015, same Anambra known for trading, indigenous industries in Nigeria still leading in education.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Jman06(m): 11:36am On Jun 04, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Hmmmm. When I saw uniben, I just weak like dodo
How?
Well you speak of your department at uniben but the reality is that uniben isn't what it use to be
My guy i don't know the faculty you are in, but for pharmacy the lecturers are super hot, likewise engineering, medicine and pure sciences. I can testify!
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by EternalTruth: 11:41am On Jun 04, 2017
ThierryJay:
[s] is important to note that this ranking is not a true reflection of the overall standards for each university. There are factors that will influence how highly sought-after a university is. The most important ones include:

- Ease of completing academic calendar - many candidates would want to graduate without any form of delay at an affordable cost. This explains the preference for Unilorin as this is now its main selling point.

- Geographical distribution of standard universities - There are more reputable universities in the southwest (UI, OAU, Unilag, Covenant, FUTA, Unilorin, UNAAB) than in the North (ABU) or the Southeast/Southsouth (UNN, UniBen, maybe UniZik). So this means that prospective candidates are more evenly distributed among the SW universities due to tougher competition.

-Tough entry standards - Universities that are perceived to be difficult to gain admission into will generally have lesser number of applicants than other "come as you are" universities. This explains why Havard does not have the highest number of American applicants in the US. This takes nothing away from its premium status.

In short, OAU, UI, Unilag,UNN and more recently CU are still the universities to beat in Nigeria.

At the very top, OAU and UI are the real deal [/s] .
you must be very stupid and useless for this myopic comment.
Tribal bigot.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by ThierryJay: 11:42am On Jun 04, 2017
KevinDein:

Those schools you mentioned are top schools in their own right but you guys can actually exalt your schools without demeaning others; that's exactly what some posters on here are doing.
The same way you rate your schools over there is the same way others do theirs.
Northerners will very much chose ABU, Unijos, BUK
Easterners, UNN, Unizik

My point; accept that top schools aren't restricted to the South Western part of the country.

This is not a matter of choosing a position. All the schools I mentioned are the most reputed universities in Nigeria based on available statistics over the years. The only one I missed was FUTO.

In any group, u have to have the best, and I've mentioned them. This does not demean other lower ranked universities. I do not understand why u feel offended. If a foreigner tells me that University of Cairo is much better than all our unis, I will not be offended cos I know it's a fact.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by FKO81(m): 11:47am On Jun 04, 2017
melejo:
Tribalism has removed every sence of objectivity from you, this too is a killer disease. So in listing of reputable universities by Nigeria standards from southeast and south south you only saw unn and uniben, then unizik under maybe? Your condition is pathetic. In your list you included futa without FUTO, uniport, unical etc, anyway no need of talking too much since talk alone can't help your kind of condition, just look for babalawo to do some kind of deliverance for you it won't cost much
That's Afonja for you grin grin

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by ThierryJay: 11:51am On Jun 04, 2017
EternalTruth:
you must be very stupid and useless for this myopic comment.
Tribal bigot.

Sorry, I do not engage people who seem incapable of objective arguments. I cannot operate from that pedestal.

Disprove my comments with facts and not resort to toutish behaviour.
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by FKO81(m): 11:54am On Jun 04, 2017
ThierryJay:

This is not a matter of choosing a position. All the schools I mentioned are the most reputed universities in Nigeria based on available statistics over the years. The only one I missed was FUTO.

In any group, u have to have the best, and I've mentioned them. This does not demean other lower ranked universities. I do not understand why u feel offended. If a foreigner tells me that University of Cairo is much better than all our unis, I will not be offended cos I know it's a fact.
What useless veritable statistics other than this, I guess you are referring to the ones ranked by Southwest propagandists, stop deceiving your people

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by DeRay98(m): 11:58am On Jun 04, 2017
Salym:

Saying Northerners cant cope with academic demands and lecturers in Uniben is absolute trash. What demands are you talking about? Sleeping with ladies or selling grades? Northerners are generally not attracted to Southern universities not because many cant cope but because of certain reasons. Northerners think badly of the South same way you people think badly of the North. That is the major reason you hardly find Northerners in Southern Schools. Even if u will give them free admission many will still prefer not to go.

Really, the ones that were admitted in my days on quotas for educationally disadvantaged states failed woefully 100 level and left.
If they are that good what's their population even in the northern schools that's their home? How many northerners score up to 250 in JAMB yearly?
"Sleeping with ladies or selling grades" Oh, you are so convinced that Northern girls don't sleep to get grades or Northern lecturers don't sleep with your female students? How naive you must be, that's the most laughable thing ever heard.
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by KevinDein: 11:59am On Jun 04, 2017
ThierryJay:

Available facts created by Yoruba media, I guess.
The days where the Yoruba dominated Media peddle lies as facts are long gone. Southwestern schools are no better than top schools in other regions regardless of whatever opinion you are trying to pass across as fact.

People in other regions rate their schools just as high as you do yours, hence they send their wards to these institutions. People in the middle belt don't rate UNAAB higher than Unijos, for example. Easterners are also perfectly happy with their Unizik while Northerners don't see ABU as inferior to UI.

Get used to the new status quo, Mr.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Yemi7up: 11:59am On Jun 04, 2017
agadez007:
Before Opening the thread i know Imo state University must be there,since this rochas Free Education of a thing started,Imsu is now Hot Cake
And yet people will still say he did nothing even when they know the truth
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jun 04, 2017
Jman06:
My guy i don't know the faculty you are in, but for pharmacy the lecturers are super hot, likewise engineering, medicine and pure sciences. I can testify!
engineering ko pure science ni make I non open their yansh for here.
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 04, 2017
SirMazi:

Have you ever gone to Uniben before
Yes I am. That school is over hyped, nothing dey there. Na name dem get
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by KevinDein: 12:09pm On Jun 04, 2017
FKO81:

What useless veritable statistics other than this, I guess you are referring to the ones ranked by Southwest propagandists, stop deceiving your people
It's all the Southwestern media propaganda.

I did a post graduate degree program in one of the Southwestern schools and I was really disappointed at the standards.

How that same institution manages to be ranked among the top three institutions in the country year after year is a mystery to me.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by victorDanladi: 12:23pm On Jun 04, 2017
KevinDein:

It's all the Southwestern media propaganda.

I did a post graduate degree program in one of the Southwestern schools and I was really disappointed at the standards.

How that same institution manages to be ranked among the top three institutions in the country year after year is a mystery to me.

Forget about the tribalism.

most report always rate UI,OAU and Unilag better than other universities in the country!

Above all,to me no university is inferior to the other.Go to any university,know what you are taught and distinguish yourself.

jelani aliyu never went to U.I nor OAU nor UNN but a polythecnic...
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by ThierryJay: 12:27pm On Jun 04, 2017
KevinDein:

Available facts created by Yoruba media, I guess.
The days where the Yoruba dominated Media peddle lies as facts are long gone. Southwestern schools are no better than top schools in other regions regardless of whatever opinion you are trying to pass across as fact.

People in other regions rate their schools just as high as you do yours, hence they send their wards to these institutions. People in the middle belt don't rate UNAAB higher than Unijos, for example. Easterners are also perfectly happy with their Unizik while Northerners don't see ABU as inferior to UI.

Get used to the new status quo, Mr.

There's no new status quo anywhere. Below is the 2017 ranking of African universities based on webometrics.

http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://www.webometrics.info/en/Ranking_africa&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjb2rSHiKTUAhXK7BQKHa1iBlwQFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNH4RPZFYWEyLpYx_1dFz7p9rEg1aA

UI is ranked 16th, Covenant 24th, OAU 30th, Unilag 52nd and UNN 56th all in Africa. Does that look like Lagos ibadan journalism to you? U need to rise above tribalistic way of reasoning and recognize facts even if it doesn't suit your primordial sentiments.

And recently, UI was the only Nigerian University ranked in the world's top 1000 universities at 601. Regional opinions/sentiments do not hold sway here mister.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by ModusOperandi(f): 12:29pm On Jun 04, 2017
Greatest Uniben grin
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Chikelue2000(m): 12:33pm On Jun 04, 2017
Nutase:
What of NSUK and KSU? lipsrsealed
Tell me u r not a graduate of has state uni, keffi
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by KennedyNwaodu(m): 12:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
Proud of my alma mater... The greatest University of Nigeria, Nsukka. UNN representing since 1960.
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by blazer19: 1:07pm On Jun 04, 2017
ILORIN!! Unilorin!!! Our Alma Mater We Sing!!!!!!!
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by beldad(f): 1:08pm On Jun 04, 2017
proud zikite ...
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by sAnUsiObJ: 1:47pm On Jun 04, 2017
UNILORIN IS BETTER BY FAR. UI,OAU MAY BE GOOD BUT THE STUDENT I DONT KNOW
THE INSTITUTIONS ARE JUST SCHOOL ,SOME OF THEIR STUDENT MAY BE DULLARDS
for example, dont we have some stupid courses like ;marketing,human kinetics and even some meaningless courses, in those schools like ui,oau, etc
[color=990000]it is not the name of these schools, but certificates that matters[/color]

2 Likes

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 04, 2017
malton:
SMH.

This is what peace gets you.

Crisis up north has caused the great ABU to fall down the pecking order.

Who would have thought.

Whoever the sponsors of those crisis are should know that they come at a price.

Something needs to be done to salvage the situation.

You nailed it. Oh great ABU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by PediakAuthor: 2:03pm On Jun 04, 2017
Probitas doctrina - better by far... That's who we are. FYI - I spent 5 academic years in Unilorin with a minute of any strike action coupled with other amazing qualities of the school, infact, in that school, the only option you have is to read... Most especially in Faculty of Engineering and Technology, where 8 students will take exam inside ELT (Engineering Lecture Theatre of about 300+ capacity, so no help from sideways except the help from above smiley - kudos!!! #PediakAuthor

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Jman06(m): 2:11pm On Jun 04, 2017
asuustrike2009:

engineering ko pure science ni make I non open their yansh for here.
Guy Uniben ranks higher than even UI in terms of quality lecturers. I am not trying to hype the school but it's a fact.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 04, 2017
what of 2017 statisticswhat of 2017 statisticswhat of 2017 statistics
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 04, 2017
Jman06:
Guy Uniben ranks higher than even UI in terms of quality lecturers. I am not trying to hype the school but it's a fact.
I went there, saw things for myself and draw my conclusion. Uniben is a name
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Chartey(m): 2:35pm On Jun 04, 2017
ThierryJay:
It is important to note that this ranking is not a true reflection of the overall standards for each university. There are factors that will influence how highly sought-after a university is. The most important ones include:

- Ease of completing academic calendar - many candidates would want to graduate without any form of delay at an affordable cost. This explains the preference for Unilorin as this is now its main selling point.

- Geographical distribution of standard universities - There are more reputable universities in the southwest (UI, OAU, Unilag, Covenant, FUTA, Unilorin, UNAAB) than in the North (ABU) or the Southeast/Southsouth (UNN, UniBen, maybe UniZik). So this means that prospective candidates are more evenly distributed among the SW universities due to tougher competition.

-Tough entry standards - Universities that are perceived to be difficult to gain admission into will generally have lesser number of applicants than other "come as you are" universities. This explains why Havard does not have the highest number of American applicants in the US. This takes nothing away from its premium status.

In short, OAU, UI, Unilag,UNN and more recently CU are still the universities to beat in Nigeria.

At the very top, OAU and UI are the real deal.

You're saying Funaab is better than Unijos, Unimaid, BUK and Usman Dan Fodio? You don't what you're saying. ABU is just very attractive to candidates across Nigeria as it's the most cosmopolitan school environment in Nigeria. There are students from every local government in Nigeria and from all over West Africa.
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by ridbell01(m): 2:50pm On Jun 04, 2017
agadez007:
Before Opening the thread i know Imo state University must be there,since this rochas Free Education of a thing started,Imsu is now Hot Cake
but your people didn't see anything good in Rochas simply coz his party is Apc
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Bimpe29: 3:00pm On Jun 04, 2017
I am proud Unilorite! Always better by far.
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by Synthase(m): 3:29pm On Jun 04, 2017
Either of these factors may account for that: the university with less disruption of its academic calendar or the one with better chance of gaining admission.
So the usual suspects like oau, ui and unilag will not be high on the list because they are highly competitive!
Re: JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) by mvem(m): 3:40pm On Jun 04, 2017
seXytOhbAd:
grin grin I'd like to see what position University of Maiduguri took in the rankings.

On a slightly more serious note, house pls what do you think will happen if the federal government privatized universities?
...oga no dey talk with ignorance...university of maiduguri is the most soughted school in the northeast together with Futy(fed uni of tech yola)....the new uni in taraba, yobe, gombe is tilting the balance a little...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

108 Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria / 3 Students Of Ojukwu University Found Dead In Hostel / How To Solve Any Quadratic Equation Using The "Almighty" Formula

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.