Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti (1138 Views)

Haiti Joins African Union / Why Is The Us Military Occupying Four Airports In Haiti? / Support The Relief Efforts In Haiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Mpele(m): 7:27am On Jan 19, 2010
The international effort to deliver humanitarian aid to the victims of last week's Port-au-Prince earthquake was hit by bickering today as a French government minister accused the Americans of trying to occupy Haiti instead of helping it.

Thousands of American soldiers have poured in to Port-au-Prince airport since President Obama announced that he was ordering a "swift and aggressive" campaign to help millions of Haitians left homeless by last week's 7.0 magnitude earthquake.

Six days after the quake, however, precious little aid is getting beyond the airport perimeters - largely because of security concerns - and aid agencies with long experience of operating in disaster zones have complained that their flights in are being blocked unnecessarily.

Among the aircraft turned back by American air traffic controllers who have assumed control at Port-au-Prince airport was a French government Airbus carrying a field hospital.

The plane was able to land the following day but the decision to turn it back prompted an official complaint from Alain Joyandet, the French Minister for Co-operation who is overseeing the French aid effort.

Speaking to Europe 1 radio from an EU ministerial meeting in Brussels this morning, Mr Joyandet said that the UN would have to clarify the role of the US in the Haitian aid effort. "It's a matter of helping Haiti, not occupying Haiti," he said.

Mr Joyandet's sniping is likely to anger the White House although the Foreign Minister, Bernard Kouchner, warned both governments and aid groups not to squabble as they try to get their aid into Haiti.

“People always want it to be their plane , that lands,” Mr Kouchner said. "What is important is the fate of the Haitians.”

Before becoming a politician Mr Kouchner made his name as humanitarian pioneer, founding the doctors' charity Medecins sans Frontieres (MSF) in 1971.

MSF is among the aid agencies directly affected by the logjam at Port-au-Prince airport. Its operations manager in Port-au-Prince, Benoit Leduc, complained today that five MSF flights have been turned back so far, three of them carrying cargo and two medical staff.

"We clearly had about 48 hours extra delay because of this access problem," he told journalists in a conference call.

One of the MSF flights turned back on Saturday was carrying a large inflatable hospital of a type that MSF have used in various disaster zones since the Kashmir earthquake four years ago. The flight was diverted to the neighbouring Santa Domingo and the hospital and ther medical supplies are having to be brought in overland.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by neily(f): 8:26am On Jan 19, 2010
Americans are seeing the french as a threat, cos the first people to colonize the Haiti is the french. But they should still remember dat the treaty signed in 1763 to hand over Haiti was between the french and the Britain. As a world power i think they (America) are trying to be the only ones the Haiti will remember as their helper in a time of need. If they want to play Humanitarian they should also allow others to do so.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by ElRazur: 8:48am On Jan 19, 2010
What a load of non-sense. Did the article not state that it was later on allowed to land?

The airport is a bottle neck due to its size and what has happened. It will take time to get things run you know.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by otawa: 10:10am On Jan 19, 2010
What a load of non-sense. Did the article not state that it was later on allowed to land?

there you go again.

This was the issue I raise in some post a while ago, now the french Government is saying same thing!

Speaking to Europe 1 radio from an EU ministerial meeting in Brussels this morning, Mr Joyandet said that the UN would have to clarify the role of the US in the Haitian aid effort. "It's a matter of helping Haiti, not occupying Haiti," he said.

America is occupying Haiti for sinister motive! If not, they should hand-over Haiti Airport to UN security personal.

Mr Hugo should be very concerned.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by ElRazur: 10:32am On Jan 19, 2010
otawa:

there you go again.

This was the issue I raise in some post a while ago,  now the french Government is saying same thing!

No sir. Just because your wild assumptions is been presented by France as well do not make it a fact.

Just like any bus garage, bus station etc. There is a limit and a max that can be allowed in at any point in time. The airport at Port Au prince was designed primarily for medium commercial flight traffic et al. It is no where as big as Heathrow in London. Don't forget that the plane flying in are cargo planes and sometimes it can take up to two days to unload a cargo depending on the logistics issues.

Haiti is more or less in a crippled state and as a result, there will be delay. On top of that, these cargoes have to be secured, transported and stored etc. Basically, they will face plenty of security and logistics issues. As a result of plenty cargo planes already on the ground under-going unloading. It means there is little or no room for more aircraft.

If you remember, a few planes including that of the US was turned away as well, so I dont see why the French are moaning. In fact, I do see why they are moaning, it is because of what they perceive as a political motive.

Finally, please remember the thread title is inaccurate, the plane was merely delayed and not refused landing permission at all. [I,e asked to return to France or something]
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by otawa: 11:35am On Jan 19, 2010
If you remember, a few planes including that of the US was turned away as well, so I dont see why the French are moaning

If USA is not invading Haiti, let them hand-over the control of the Airport to UN-Security!
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by ElRazur: 11:47am On Jan 19, 2010
otawa:

If USA is not invading Haiti, let them hand-over the control of the Airport to UN-Security!

Once you show me me your qualifications on international relations, show me that you are an insider with the UN. Oh yeah I will take you serious.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 19, 2010
will Haiti ever recover from this disaster?
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Kobojunkie: 8:31pm On Jan 19, 2010
neily:

Americans are seeing the french as a threat, cos the first people to colonize the Haiti is the french. But they should still remember dat the treaty signed in 1763 to hand over Haiti was between the french and the Britain. As a world power i think they (America) are trying to be the only ones the Haiti will remember as their helper in a time of need. If they want to play Humanitarian they should also allow others to do so.

What the heck?? shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by mystikal(m): 8:43pm On Jan 19, 2010
Folks should really learn to cool off on their anti-american sentiments.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Ikengawo: 8:45am On Jan 24, 2010
you ignorant human beings, its called the monroe doctrine, european powers can't bring anything military into the western hemisphere.
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by SamMilla1(m): 6:49pm On Jan 24, 2010
Ikengawo:

you ignorant human beings, its called the monroe doctrine, european powers can't bring anything military into the western hemisphere.

Yes its called the Monroe doctrine by president Monroe in 1823.
And people are not ignorant. They are simply not educated in the things that matters.
They study science and Arts and forget the basic policies that define their everyday existence,
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Hauwa1: 8:36pm On Jan 24, 2010
i wonder what US will occupy Haiti for! sugar, gold, slave, oil? oh spare me!
If only nig pple have the heart of an average American!
Semper FI!
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by mamagee3(f): 9:47pm On Jan 24, 2010
Why are the U.S. such a huge problem? undecided
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Ubiman(m): 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2010
America are trying to spread their tentacles to other nations. They are just trying to control everybody and everything and are prepared to wage war with anyone who dares barrier them. Take the case of nigeria as an example. Greedy Americans! D'you know that they are trying to esyablish a military base in Africa in order to reduce any African resistance to the flow of oil into the US from Africa and subsequently reduce Africa's military to the same incapacitated state as that of Japan?[color=#990000][/color] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 12, 2010
Ubiman:

America are trying to spread their tentacles to other nations. They are just trying to control everybody and everything and are prepared to wage war with anyone who dares barrier them. Take the case of nigeria as an example. Greedy Americans! D'you know that they are trying to esyablish a military base in Africa in order to reduce any African resistance to the flow of oil into the US from Africa and subsequently reduce Africa's military to the same incapacitated state as that of Japan?[color=#990000][/color] angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

No, I did not know. . . .

But boy, I'd love to know where you got the source for your information
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by dayokanu(m): 9:27pm On Mar 12, 2010
America are trying to spread their tentacles to other nations. They are just trying to control everybody and everything and are prepared to wage war with anyone who dares barrier them. Take the case of nigeria as an example. Greedy Americans! D'you know that they are trying to esyablish a military base in Africa in order to reduce any African resistance to the flow of oil into the US from Africa and subsequently reduce Africa's military to the same incapacitated state as that of Japan

Like supplying food and aid to earthquake victims in Haiti, Tsunami victims in SE Asia, Earthquake victims in Pakistan etc.

WHat do these victims care for most? survival which America helps with or Your internet conspiracy theory. Can I ask how much did you donate to the Haitian cause? and you are complaining about tentacles.

No, I did not know. . . .

But boy, I'd love to know where you got the source for your information

So you dont know? the same source that told us US stopped Iya Ineji from selling Akara at the junction, that stopped Ali from Selling Gala on go slow, and that spread tentacles into your pot of soup
Re: The Usa Turns Back France Military Plane In Haiti by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 12, 2010
dayokanu:

Like supplying food and aid to earthquake victims in Haiti, Tsunami victims in SE Asia, Earthquake victims in Pakistan etc.

WHat do these victims care for most? survival which America helps with or Your internet conspiracy theory. Can I ask how much did you donate to the Haitian cause? and you are complaining about tentacles.

So you dont know? the same source that told us US stopped Iya Ineji from selling Akara at the junction, that stopped Ali from Selling Gala on go slow, and that spread tentacles into your pot of soup

*death* Dayo, you're not serious grin grin

(1) (Reply)

President Of Malawi Knelt Down To Greet Male Head Of States / Donald Trump Speaks At UN General Assembly / Rockets Fired at US Airbase in Iraq!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.