Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,608 members, 7,827,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Nigerians, What Is The Way Forward? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians, What Is The Way Forward? (592 Views)

Moghalu Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa, Tells Nigerians What To Do / IBB Tells Nigerians What To Expect From Buhari’s Second Term / Tinubu Breaks Silence On Postponement Of Election, Tells Nigerians What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians, What Is The Way Forward? by benji93: 2:32pm On Jun 04, 2017
In the background of the necessitated but unwritten principle of rotation of power from South to North, then back to South after the completion a full term.I ponder about the extent to which Nigerians understand democracy. A member of this forum recently opined that, Professor Yemi Osibanjo must not contest in the 2019 general elections, he/she was not clear about the elections he/she was referring to(primary or general).Probably he/she was suggesting that no delegate should vote for Prof Osibanjo as the flagbearer of any of the major political parties.This clearly highlights Nigerian politics and the electorates understanding of its context.There seems to be only one kind of election in Nigeria.The general election.It will suffice to say that Nigerians believe that, in Nigeria, a primary election is only by name a kind of election.However practically, it's only a confirmation of a political arrangement by the "court of owls".So by this understanding, i think the aforementioned Nigerian implied that Osibanjo should not be presented as the flag bearer of any political party in Nigeria.Over the years i have heard and seen Nigerians whisper, scream and write excitedly about bad governance in Nigeria.More so politicians encourage people to vote them into power,promising the electorates that they would do better than the ruling government at that time. Gullible Nigerians vote them in , now the purported leader oversees affairs for a while and realizes that,unununun, it's not as easy it seems my friends.Fellow Nigeria, the previous government had emptied the coffers,oh my people the previous government was corrupt, the corruption crept so deep that we can't do much. This begs the question:Is it necessary that we elect leaders who recently held high positions in government?If so then leaders that have not held office for over a decade should not be considered as worthy enough.I am not looking back through time in the current democratic dispensation, given the circumstances surrounding the shift towards democratic rule in 1999.I wouldn't expect much from a leader who had not held any high political office for over a decade.In the following 8 years, there were unforeseen circumstances, even though the "court of owl" expected it.It appears that none of the governments that have ruled thus far had a plan, i mean a fool proof one.A plan that factors in the unforeseen but considerably possible situation.All our leaders so far seem to know less about Nigerians than they claim.This begs a question:Can any leader or aspirant know just enough about the mindset of all the different entities constituting Nigeria and respond to them fairly?.I believe the federal system(not the bastardized version we are practising) should work very well for the case of Nigeria, we do not need a leaders at the federal government that knows the needs of all the culturally different entities of Nigeria, we only need leader that are open minded, blind to ethnicity and sensitive to the needs of all the different entities of Nigeria.There comes another question, all states must have something in common that binds them under a federal system, what do all the different entities of Nigeria have in common?"Geographical Nigeria?".If we have nothing in common, then we either exist as different entities or a greater proportion of revenue generated from each state should go to that state.If Lagos generates 100 billion naira in a year, 30-35 billion should go to Lagos, the rest should be invested into ventures that present all Nigerians equal opportunities.What you sow is what you reap. Someone might ask, what about those that do not have natural resources?Oh yes, i did consider them,and sorry for not having natural resources, that's should mostly be your state government's job, they should develop the capacities of their people.Develop a long term plan of educating their people to be productive, borrow some money from the federal government, and execute the plan.If the federal government realizes your plan is working, they could borrow you more money,until your project is self-sustaining.You can take solace in the fact that most of the most developed countries in the world did not get to revolutionize their economy by depending on natural resources.They developed the capacities of their people.If the issue of power is just to elaborate for the federal government, they should delegate some the power to the state, in the development of smaller dams, the larger dams sourced from larger rivers should be committed for larger power projects overseen by the federal government.Until we set a system such that sate governments reap what they sow,nobody will take their people seriously.The federal government keeps bailing out state government despite not producing much. Giving me 2000 naira everyday without the execution of any task is a disincentive, i swear i will not do anything, i will just sleep, wake up ,eat and receive my pay.Set the state government to work, and the skeletal framework will just be in place.We will have to redefine the extent of the power wielded by the state.We have to conduct a referendum on this.Do we want the state government to do most of the work or not?but i am of the opinion that the the smaller the piece, the more effective the work done.We can say for sure that all the entities in a state have so much in common.It is the responsibility of the people of a state to vote in state leaders,having beliefs rooted in the culture of their state.
If the current government is not doing well, we should blame ourselves. Mostly for not presenting better candidates.partially,For voting in unworthy candidates.Generally, we don't think deeply before making choices,that is why we are not usually objective in our opinions, even the so-called educated.This is not an issue limited to the government, our institutions offer tenure to mediocre Phd holders, how the hell will they produce original research work,research activities that lead to breakthroughs are thus far-fetched.One useless CEO somewhere will complain that the government is corrupt meanwhile you cannot offer a job to a lady without sleeping with her.But until our conduction of affairs of government gets better, we might not be able to tell, if corruption at the local level will subside,we need to change the way we think in order to make good decisions and predictions related to choosing leaders.I also encourage young leaders that sincerely want to lead this country right to put their foot forward, so Nigerians can have better options. but first you must have a plan for Nigeria,experience Nigeria, by occupying a government role, so you can have a better understanding of the system.Then seek for the position at the apex.I am saying this because, some our parents usually tell us that, inorder to become a president in Nigeria, you will have to roll a little in the mud, otherwise, you either get killed or you never get there.Now that has proved true, as most of the leaders that have occupied the highest positions in government thus far have either been clueless or deliberately wicked.in the spirit of true democracy, any body should be able to contest in an election to occupy the position of the president at any time,whatever we may think of their intentions, as far as he/she is eligible.To the great analysts of human intentions, as the vice president of a country, if you do not agree with the president on important issues, or you think you can do better than the president, you have the right to contest in any election, you even have a right to criticize the president, if you realize he is biting more than he can chew.The fact that an undertaking is not generally acceptable doesn't mean it is not the right thing to do.In fact a vice president who took the job to serve the people should admonish his boss if he disapproves of his choices, if his boss decides not to listen, he can express disapproval by taking it public or resigning(No Nigerian leader would do this) or just remain passive and say nothing,do what you are told, just as a zombie.Then contest in an election if you have a plan to fix everything having studied the terrain as the vice president.Who is in a better position to deliver better governance than someone who served in a capacity closest to the ultimate? .I therefore implore all Nigerians to endeavour to become better people away from over reliance on a government.Check all sides of a dice before making decisions.The ball is in your court, fellow Nigerians.Peace.
Re: Nigerians, What Is The Way Forward? by decency12(m): 3:25pm On Jun 04, 2017
Sometimes holding on does more harm than letting go.

Let us just go our different ways

(1) (Reply)

Ebonyi State Governorship Election 2019 / Britain (united Kingdom) , Nigeria And A British Failed Nigerian Experiment. / IBB Calls For Restructuring Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.