Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Bedbug Awareness For Nigerians: What You've Always Imagined Is Actually Wrong! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bedbug Awareness For Nigerians: What You've Always Imagined Is Actually Wrong! (685 Views)

Coronavirus: Guidance For Nigerians By The Federal Government / Lady Designs Condom Made Cloth For Hiv Awareness (photo) / Things You Can Relate To If You've Gone For HIV Test Before. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bedbug Awareness For Nigerians: What You've Always Imagined Is Actually Wrong! by Blogtrovert(f): 9:19am On Jun 05, 2017
​Though the title is tagged Nigerians, but this article is literally for everyone with little knowledge about bed bugs. I will feel so bad if I don't share this knowledge because about 78% of Nigerians don't really know what a bed bug is or how it looks like... No offense please.

You may be wondering why I had to write this post just because of bedbugs... Well, it's an awareness to help us know what bedbugs actually are!

I was and I'm probably still a victim of their attack. I discovered them 3 months ago but didn't know what they were until a week ago when I discovered my curtain had several black spots on it and an insect in sight. I killed it and was close enough to discover traces of blood on its liquid (ewwww!) The first thing I thought of was "bed bug". Sadly I guessed right! Such idiot! (Trust me, that night was horrible! YouTube became a friend). Of course I don't know how they got into my room but the good news is, now I can take full leverage of my Knowledge and get rid of the sullen creatures fully.

Really, you too need to ransack your room and fish out those annoying creatures because they may be there living freely while you blame some stings to nonexistent creatures.

You'd probably wonder if we were ever taught at any level of our education... Yes we were! In the primary and secondary level precisely (or tertiary level depending on your course). But what was I supposed to do with the little knowledge I had about bedbugs which some how flew into thin air over the years? For the records, these bugs aren't as tiny or invisible as you make them look...

Dear Nigerians, please stop shouting BED BUG! at every slightest chance you get because you felt a sting on your butt or whatever! I was once like that but never really stressed the bed bug ish like most of you did. Here is the ugly truth; Bed bug bites don't hurt a bit. They are "silent killers" and they possess this saliva that makes it painless when they pierce your skin to suck your blood (smart thing!) At least, makes them wiser than mosquitoes.

How do they look like?

Bed bugs aren't invisible... You can actually see them well enough to kill them. They aren't as tiny as we make them look. They also have an awkward smell (more pronounced when smashed) so chances are you've perceive something sometime but couldn't make out the smell.

Their lifespan
http://www.addisonpestcontrol.com/about-bed-bugs

What They Do
You should know, they feed on your blood, preferably when you sleep! You would never know, nature made them smart.

How they get into your homes
I really couldn't tell how they got into my room but;

They can get into your home from materials you buy or collect from people,

They get into your cloth from public places,

They could get in from your neighbour's house,

They stroll in!

What to do when you see one?
Kill it and find the rest because there are others.

How to Know if your House is infested with Bedbugs
The best way for sure to find out if you have bedbugs living in your home is by checking the corners of your bed, your curtains (the easiest way to know is the presence of black spots on areas they stay), your entire rooms especially cracks or spots with tiny spaces or holes. Bedbugs often stay very close to your bed for easy access to you!

How to Get Rid of Bedbugs
The easiest but not so effective way to get rid of the insect is by finding and killing them but there is 100% chance that you can't find them all, moreover there may be eggs waiting to hatch!

Insecticides work but you won't be able to kill their eggs thus you'd need to keep using for months until safe enough to assume the hatched bug were killed as well.

There are pest control companies in most countries but this is Nigeria...
Re: Bedbug Awareness For Nigerians: What You've Always Imagined Is Actually Wrong! by bigfoot79(m): 9:27am On Jun 08, 2017
those things have been described as evil, and I have no objections.
however, I recently discovered the best and most effective ecologically and economically friendly way to get rid of them, using only water. DM me for the solution

(1) (Reply)

See How To Naturally Cure Diabetes. / How To Make Money With Health And Wellness / How To Get Rid Of Pimples Overnight, Naturally And Fast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.