Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life (36091 Views)

Npower Shame On You / Pls Help, Am Begining To Regret Ever Giving Out 6yrs Of My Life To Education / What Are Some Of The Biggest Red Flags In An Interviewee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Beosten(m): 1:25pm On Jun 05, 2017
I grew up in a town where there were four government primary schools. Note that there was nothing like private schools there in those days. I was a popular pupil then, because I was winning inter-school competitions for my school. I was a class captain throughout, and senior prefect.

I repeated this feat in my secondary school, and became almost a household name in a town of over 50 thousands dwellers. My type should have worked harder to earn good grades in the university, and probably get retained. But I was hustling to fund the education, and consequently shared my time between earning money and lectures. So, handouts and photocopies were my learning aids. I graduated with second class lower.

My fame soared when, during my university days, my school principal invited me to teach finalists Mathematics due to dearth of teachers.

Fast forward to 2017, no job is forthcoming. A brother of mine from a different mother now owns a car and an auto-mechanic shop. He was known as a very poor student because people wondered at such discrepancy in IQ of related brothers.

To keep body and soul together, I'm doing a job that requires me rendering a service from door to door everyday. I make at least 25k in this job monthly compared to 13k these proprietors are offering me--their argument is that B.Tech degree is not suitable for teaching. It's a common knowledge that only the uneducated and street urchins do this kind of job I do now.

Now I rendered the service to a couple who happened to know me back in the days. I couldn't recognize them at first. The wife was a classmate of mine with four children while the husband was a senior student in our high school then. The husband recalled how the then English teacher used me to ridicule the SS3 students to which he belonged. They couldn't pronounce 'colonel' correctly. So, he shopped for me in JS1 and I got it right. Living in a city now, I didn't think of it that I could easily run into my contemporaries.

"Is this not Yemi?" he asked rhetorically. "Didn't you proceed to the higher institution? How come you are doing this kind of job?" he continued.

The wife reminded me of her name, and I recognized her.

If 17k is used for feeding, 2k for consumables monthly, how much will I be able to save to start a decent business? Note that responsibilities like parents and siblings in needs make it difficult to have savings.

Venting one's frustrations on keyboard these days is soothing, so I'll advice you be like me.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by dxdiag(m): 1:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
It is well bro, Don't give up

68 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by dhantey324(m): 1:40pm On Jun 05, 2017
This stage will pass soon

48 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
Mehnn leave that tin..... If everyone on NL starts telling u their life story....ur eyes may pop out from their sockets n leave ur mouth agap.....smelling conditions everywhere man....in God we trust we,shall scale through.

285 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by ksstroud: 2:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
Bro,don't be discouraged. It is just a phase and you will soon pass through it. Though I understand how deeply you felt but everyone has his or her bitter experience. Just be focused and keep trying, then don't let any opportunity pass you by.
Think less of those people around you that have made it ,then hope for a better tomorrow...Our paths differ.
My mind though.
Regards

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jun 05, 2017
Cheer up brother.. Life is a journey.. Just keep trying and never give up.
Don't hate too.

34 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by femi4: 2:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
Beosten:
I grew up in a town where there were four government primary schools. Note that there was nothing like private schools there in those days. I was a popular pupil then, because I was winning inter-school competitions for my school. I was a class captain throughout, and senior prefect.

I repeated this feat in my secondary school, and became almost a household name in a town of over 50 thousands dwellers. My type should have worked harder to earn good grades in the university, and probably get retained. But I was hustling to fund the education, and consequently shared my time between earning money and lectures. So, handouts and photocopies were my learning aids. I graduated with second class lower.

My fame soared when, during my university days, my school principal invited me to teach finalists Mathematics due to dearth of teachers.

Fast forward to 2017, no job is forthcoming. A brother of mine from a different mother now owns a car and an auto-mechanic shop. He was known as a very poor student because people wondered at such discrepancy in IQ of related brothers.

To keep body and soul together, I'm doing a job that requires me rendering a service from door to door everyday. I make at least 25k in this job monthly compared to 13k these proprietors are offering me--their argument is that B.Tech degree is not suitable for teaching. It's a common knowledge that only the uneducated and street urchins do this kind of job I do now.

Now I rendered the service to a couple who happened to know me back in the days. I couldn't recognize them at first. The wife was a classmate of mine with four children while the husband was a senior student in our high school then. The husband recalled how the then English teacher used me to ridicule the SS3 students to which he belonged. They couldn't pronounce 'colonel' correctly. So, he shopped for me in JS1 and I got it right. Living in a city now, I didn't think of it that I could easily run into my contemporaries.

"Is this not Yemi?" he asked rhetorically. "Didn't you proceed to the higher institution? How come you are doing this kind of job?" he continued.

If 17k is used for feeding, 2k for consumables monthly, how much will I be able to save to start a decent business? Note that responsibilities like parents and siblings in needs make it difficult to have savings.

Venting one's frustrations on keyboard these days is soothing, so I'll advice you be like me.
The race is not for the swift.

The battle is not for the strong.

Wise people don't necessarily have food

The brilliant ones are not always wealthy

The educated is not always successful.

Time and chance happened to them all.

◄ Ecclesiastes 9:11 (New living Translation)

229 Likes 14 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by TechPanda(m): 3:05pm On Jun 05, 2017
Am Speechless. The Poster Before Me Is Right

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by CIOSYLVA(m): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2017
Life is like a story book. Each persons life has it's own title, a different pattern of writing, the beginning through to the end. Some story books starts beautifully and ends beautifully as well.. some starts with sorrow and ends with sorrow, some started well and end bad while some started bad and ends well.

One of the thing i try as much as i can is never to compare my life with anybody's own. but all i can do is to strive to be more outstanding than others but even if am not seeing changes coming soon i remain hopeful and steadfast and diligently make my self happy at even a worst situation..

I hope, I believe and i know things will change. sometimes wen i even talk with some of my guys who were not able to go for a degree but somehow living beta life, they still wish to have wot i have. because they know that i can at any time have wot they have but it appears too difficult to hav a degree as i do..

In all be dont loss hope.. be prayerful.

GOD IS A DESTINY CHANGER

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by naturalwaves: 5:01pm On Jun 05, 2017
Beosten:

I can relate perfectly well to your story. A university environment does not provide a level playing field for students as everyone have different things bothering them and different sources and types of funding. Lack of fund is one thing that can mar one's performance in the university. Students of this age are even so lucky as they can now use Internet to their full disposal. Having said that , I do not think you need to think so much about grades and all. The only thing a 2.1 or 1st does for you is that it gives you the chance to write more Job tests particularly if you are still less than 26. One thing I will advise is that whatever you know now, make sure you can hold your own anywhere such that if given the slightest opportunity, you will deliver. Moreover, make good friends and network more and keep in touch with people. This is my 3rd job. 2 out of the places I have worked was gotten cos I stay in touch with a couple of friends and whenever anything pops up, they will notify me. My first bank job was not even announced on the pages of newspapers. My second job was gotten by myself. My third was as a result of information from an old friend( unannounced too). At least, better to slug it out with 20 guys for 1 slot than hundreds of thousands. Cheer up! Be happy with your friends, get their contacts, stay in touch , call them from time to time to ask if anything has popped up. Move with people of similar goals and like minds so you get to apply and do other things together. Create a LinkedIn profile and follow people. You should be able to squeeze yourself somewhere tangible. Even here on Nairaland, do not take people for granted cos you never can tell. You can send a PM if you do not mind so we can talk better.

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by divinelove(m): 5:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
The same old and outdated mentality - that you were brilliant at school does not mean you wont be poor or you wont die of poverty.

Infact most brilliant people are not entrepreneurial they all earn salaries n die poor like most professors. Go and read rich dad and poor dad by Robert kiyosaki.

To be wealth you need financial education.

most landlords in most cities didnt attend universities yet they are wealthy, money has its own rules entirely n has nothing to do with being a first class student or graduate.

forget ur brilliant past, live in ur present and chart a course for the future you desire

72 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Xxpress(m): 5:23pm On Jun 05, 2017
God will bless your hustle, don't give up. We all have a story to share.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by FromZeroToHero(m): 6:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
You nailed it. It's not of he that willeth nor of he that runneth but it's God that showeth mercy.
femi4:
The race is not for the swift.

The battle is not for the strong.

Wise people don't necessarily have food

The brilliant ones are not always wealthy

The educated is not always successful.

Time and chance happened to them all.

◄ Ecclesiastes 9:11 (New living Translation)

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by FromZeroToHero(m): 6:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
Cheer up bro. Don't be discouraged. Your star must shine.

4 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by naturalwaves: 6:38pm On Jun 05, 2017
FromZeroToHero:
You nailed it. It's not of he that willeth nor of he that runneth but it's God that showeth mercy.
You guys keep on repeating that same line over and over again. Success has principles. If you follow the principles, you will be successful and the number one principle of success is to seek specific knowledge. Nigerians are so gullible. You take everything you are given hook line and sinker and quote verses to show that someone lazying around can have an edge over someone that is hardworking. While I am not denying the fact that this is possible, do not attach such successes to someone randomly showing people mercy irrespective of what you do. A not too brilliant student may have a better networking skill or communicate with people more. Nigeria is large, there are a lot of sound guys outside, one needs to come out of one's shell.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Beosten(m): 6:53pm On Jun 05, 2017
naturalwaves:

I can relate perfectly well to your story. A university environment does not provide a level playing field for students as everyone have different things bothering them and different sources and types of funding. Lack of fund is one thing that can mar one's performance in the university. Students of this age are even so lucky as they can now use Internet to their full disposal. Having said that , I do not think you need to think so much about grades and all. The only thing a 2.1 or 1st does for you is that it gives you the chance to write more Job tests particularly if you are still less than 26. One thing I will advise is that whatever you know now, make sure you can hold your own anywhere such that if given the slightest opportunity, you will deliver. Moreover, make good friends and network more and keep in touch with people. This is my 3rd job. 2 out of the places I have worked was gotten cos I stay in touch with a couple of friends and whenever anything pops up, they will notify me. My first bank job was not even announced on the pages of newspapers. My second job was gotten by myself. My third was as a result of information from an old friend( unannounced too). At least, better to slug it out with 20 guys for 1 slot than hundreds of thousands. Cheer up! Be happy with your friends, get their contacts, stay in touch , call them from time to time to ask if anything has popped up. Move with people of similar goals and like minds so you get to apply and do other things together. Create a LinkedIn profile and follow people. You should be able to squeeze yourself somewhere tangible. Even here on Nairaland, do not take people for granted cos you never can tell. You can send a PM of you do not mind so we can talk better.

Thanks, bro. I can't open this NL mail. Please use janetyler84@mail.com
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by naturalwaves: 6:59pm On Jun 05, 2017
Beosten:

Thanks, bro. I can't open this NL mail. Please use janetyler84@mail.com
Okay. Sent you a mail.already.
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2017
Certificate means nothing today. Put it in your box and think of how to succeed without it.

That is the first step to financial freedom.

20 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by fabre4: 7:36pm On Jun 05, 2017
everybody here giving him advise he needs job not advice and consolation

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by BornAgainMay: 7:43pm On Jun 05, 2017
Bro you are not alone.

Last two months I rounded up my service, I rushed back to Lagos with the hope that I will secure at least a teaching job to start with as a graduate of political science education.

I got disappointed bcoz anybody can actually teach that Government /Social studies and civic education without the required qualifications. My intent was to teach and garner more experience and then proceed with my masters.

As I am talking to you now, no teaching vacancies around. No job anywhere. I had to apply to a laundry man position around my street.

When the secretary saw my cv she wanted to slap me. Saying I should be out there looking for something meaningful. I laughed and just told her that she won't understand.

I was lucky to gain the job as a laundry man and I believe God who has been keeping me alive knows why I am passing through all these..

Embrace yourself and know that you're not alone

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Histrings08(m): 8:05pm On Jun 05, 2017
M
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Ezedon(m): 8:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
Nigeria where education does not matter

6 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by pythonkid(m): 8:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
a
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by morereb10: 8:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
ok
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by paradigmshift(m): 8:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
Nigeria get education system before. lmao.my guy nothing like hand work o.

4 Likes

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by Generalkorex(m): 8:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
Ok
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by josh93: 8:07pm On Jun 05, 2017
Ha!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by uknownforce: 8:09pm On Jun 05, 2017
Op don't giveup, I was once a poor man but today I feed thousands, Irony of life.
Check my signature to see what I have got for you to succeed in life.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by goldennugget: 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2017
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by OtemAtum: 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2017
Keep hustling, you'll eventually make it.

1 Like

Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by bewla(m): 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
let's c
Re: How Being Educated Brought The Biggest Shame Of My Life by passionate88: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
WTF? angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Happened When I Went For An Interview At Lekki / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / MTN Nigeria 2017 Massive Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.