Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima (942 Views)

Need Help. My 2001 Infiniti QX4 Engine Smoking And Shortening Oil / How Much Is Tokunbo 2001 Nissan Micra / Issues With My 2001 Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2017
the car goes off whenerrv it enters a pool of water. no matter how hard I try to start it. it will never start. once I leave it for a while, it will start on its own. please what's the issue. this started last year rainy season, throughout the dry season it never behaved this way. once I enter a pot hole filled with water from the right side, or a large body of water. the car goes off. and will only come on after I have left it angrily for a while.

please it's by the grace of God I survived this evening, as it stopped me while overtaking a dangote trailer on a busy single lane road. I have kazeems all around me and I don't understand yoruba enough to explain my issue. gazzuz and any other guru. please what is wrong with that car
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2017
nobody to help me?
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Lokoyen(m): 9:42pm On Jun 05, 2017
Gazzuzz
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:02pm On Jun 05, 2017
Gourdoinc:
the car goes off whenerrv it enters a pool of water. no matter how hard I try to start it. it will never start. once I leave it for a while, it will start on its own. please what's the issue. this started last year rainy season, throughout the dry season it never behaved this way. once I enter a pot hole filled with water from the right side, or a large body of water. the car goes off. and will only come on after I have left it angrily for a while.

please it's by the grace of God I survived this evening, as it stopped me while overtaking a dangote trailer on a busy single lane road. I have kazeems all around me and I don't understand yoruba enough to explain my issue. gazzuz and any other guru. please what is wrong with that car

water gets into your distributor, and and distorts the firing order.

Solution: insulate your distributor.

Modified: also insulate your coil if vehicle is equipped with 1

Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Nobody: 11:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
Is your check engine light on? Does it come on when the car shuts off?
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 6:03am On Jun 06, 2017
Costee:
Is your check engine light on? Does it come on when the car shuts off?
the check engine light is on, the car just goes off only when it enters water, asides that everything is perfectly fine despite that check engine light, of course asides it's poor idling when I start it in the morning, it will always go off if I don't hold the accelerator till it settles. nothing else is wrong with it in my ignorant opinion. but once I enter a puddle of water which causes a splash, especially from the right side (I think). the car goes off, attempts to get it to start will fail no matter how hard I try. buy it starts after I abandon it for awhile. it appears water is entering somewhere and always needs to dry before I starts again, it has lost this power at high speed on the express way and could have killed me.
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 6:05am On Jun 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

bros the distributor is at the top right side of the engine thus feeding the engine from the top, I would snap it and show you , this means it's technically far away from the splash of water. but I have no idea Wat I am saying, but I get that picture, will snap the engine in the morning and post it here.
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 6:08am On Jun 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

also bros, is this something I can do myself or I have to explain to the mechanic, could you be more specific on how this is to be done , should it be done by a mechanic or rewire. so I can find someone to explain to a mechanic in Yoruba what should be done. can't risk the car to Lagos this rainy season, would have come to haruna, not far from my house
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by honmusa(m): 6:10am On Jun 06, 2017
Gourdoinc:

Seems your fans is runned direct and when your drive tru pools of water , this continuous running fans are splashing water into your ignition system and causing short with the system thereby quenching the car.
Also try to put off your ac when driving tru water .
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 6:16am On Jun 06, 2017
honmusa:

Seems your fans is runned direct and when your drive tru pools of water , this continuous running fans are splashing water into your ignition system and causing short with the system thereby quenching the car.
Also try to put off your ac when driving tru water .
yes my fans are connected direct. oh? this could be what what oga gazzuz meant. cos this is the only way I can think off in which water could reach that distributor head he mentioned. how do I solve this now? tie nylon on the distributor head? asides that distributor is there any other area that water could be getting to to cause this so I tie it with nylon too, if that's what is meant by insulate
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by honmusa(m): 6:24am On Jun 06, 2017
Gourdoinc:
yes my fans are connected direct. oh? this could be what what oga gazzuz meant. cos this is the only way I can think off in which water could reach that distributor head he mentioned. how do I solve this now? tie nylon on the distributor head?
1.Try to make your fan to run normally I.e default setting so that you don't have a continuous runing fan (take care of any leak in your cooling system before you do this to avoid overheating)
2.Put off AC when driving tru water
3 In case you don't have engine cover ,get one to shield your ignition system.
4 check you car for any camshaft/crankshaft sensor codes by scanning it
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Gourdoinc(m): 6:36am On Jun 06, 2017
honmusa:

1.Try to make your fan to run normally I.e default setting so that you don't have a continuous runing fan (take care of any leak in your cooling system before you do this to avoid overheating)
2.Put off AC when driving tru water
3 In case you don't have engine cover ,get one to shield your ignition system.
4 check you car for any camshaft/crankshaft sensor codes by scanning it
OK will look trough and implement these suggestions. thanks bro
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 06, 2017
Gourdoinc:
OK will look trough and implement these suggestions. thanks bro
No doubt an electrical glitch as honmusa has suggested, but it's probably coming from the relay box on the right-hand side of the car which you have identified as the problem area. Or alternatively your fuse box where you have tapped your direct current.
Re: Help With My 2001 Nissan Altima by AutoElectNG: 9:28am On Jun 07, 2017
Everyone has answered well including my very good friend honmusa

I just want to reiterate in the plainest English possible what has already been said

Carefully study the wiring harness to and from the engine and to and from the fan or even the A/C compressor if it located around the bottom of the engine, look for exposed wiring and insulate them.

Concentrate on that part of the engine bay that you have identified as suspect first of all

One or more wires that should not touch each other (called an short) cause electricity to travel through unintended paths causing unintended effects in particular the switching off, once the short goes away, you are able to start again, find and eliminate the shorts and you will stop putting your life in danger.

Water conducts electricity!

Explain it that way to an electrician and he should be able to help.

If you are the DIY type, then you can do so yourself, but first of all, disconnect the negative battery cable!

(1) (Reply)

Petrol Cars Will Vanish Globally In 8 Years (2025) / Necessary Car Maintenance For Another Extra-long Term Use / World’s First Self-flying Taxis Launches In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.