Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary (24677 Views)

Nigerian Immigrant Destroys Cars In Germany (Photos) / Nigerian Immigrant Climbs Building In Italy, Causes A Scene (Photos) / Pregnant Nigerian Immigrant Collapses In Italy While Being Beaten By Policeman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by salford1: 9:26pm On Jun 05, 2017
Nicholas Ozoechi Nwonye was a kind person who, even in the briefest of moments, left an indelible impression.

That’s how those who knew the victim of Friday’s deadly CTrain platform stabbing are remembering the 46-year-old father of three — killed in an attack police say was random and unprovoked.

“He was just such a treat to have there,” said Rhonda Hersak, an instructor at nearby Bow Valley College where Nwonye was enrolled in the school’s practical nursing program.

“(He was) a very kind, empathetic individual. He smiled all the time.”

Indeed, Nwonye was on his way home from Hersak’s lecture hall when the deadly attack took place, at 6:45 p.m. on the westbound platform of the City Hall LRT station in downtown Calgary.

Stabbed in the chest and abdomen by a man he’d never met, Nwonye was rushed to hospital where he later died.

The man accused in Nwonye’s death was caught by police shortly thereafter, arrested as he attempted to flee the scene in an eastbound train. Keeton Michel Gagnon, 39, has been charged with second-degree murder.

Nwonye only recently moved to Canada with his wife and three children from Nigeria, and was only four weeks into his studies when he died.

Hersak remembered Nwonye as a deeply spiritual man whose faith formed a large part of his life.

Being the only male in the class, Nwonye brought a unique insight, Hersak said — laughing as she described him being responsible for the creation of some “pleasant controversy” during in-class discussions.

Despite only being a student for a short time, Hersak said Nwonye made a definite impression, both on his fellow students and the faculty.

“He had an impact. he had a really big impact in the classroom,” she said.

“He will be missed in the classroom. I know this for a fact.”

bpassifiume@postmedia.com

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/stabbed-by-a-stranger-on-ctrain-platform-nigerian-immigrant-is-mourned-for-his-kindness

May his soul Rest in perfect peace.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jun 05, 2017
This is so sad.
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Saintsquare(m): 11:51pm On Jun 05, 2017
So sad
R.I.P
Indeed nowhere is safe, even when you thought u ve escape naija wahala

31 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Timhortons: 2:16am On Jun 06, 2017
He came with 2kids from naija and the third child is 3months old,the wife just had him a couple of months in calgary.We visited the wife today and she is still in shock.May the good lord give her and the family the courage to bear this irreplaceable loss.

102 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by virtual3xpert: 2:20am On Jun 06, 2017
Timhortons:
He came with 2kids from naija and the third child is 3months old,the wife just had him a couple of months in calgary.We visited the wife today and she is still in shock.May the good lord give her and the family the courage to bear this irreplaceable loss.

Oh my! cry cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Nobody: 3:30am On Jun 06, 2017
Timhortons:

I can't even sad

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by salford1: 3:30am On Jun 06, 2017
Timhortons:
My brother. How do one even console the family. I being very emotional would have wept if i visited. May God protect us from evil doers. God would surely grant his family the fortitude to bear the loss.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Ekpekus(m): 4:31am On Jun 06, 2017
Timhortons:
I passed by the library @city hall that night and saw police tape with some police vehicles there. I never knew what really transpired till I got home only to watch CTV breaking the news... it's hard to even understand why? Police know the killer very well As he has been charged before for other crime..
RIP brother

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by chimah3(m): 6:22am On Jun 06, 2017
Too many mad people in this world...may God continue to deliver us from all evil

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by lagosrd: 6:53am On Jun 06, 2017
Timhortons:

Pls who are you talking about here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by lagosrd: 6:55am On Jun 06, 2017
salford1:
Nicholas Ozoechi Nwonye was a kind person who, even in the briefest of moments, left an indelible impression.

That’s how those who knew the victim of Friday’s deadly CTrain platform stabbing are remembering the 46-year-old father of three — killed in an attack police say was random and unprovoked.

“He was just such a treat to have there,” said Rhonda Hersak, an instructor at nearby Bow Valley College where Nwonye was enrolled in the school’s practical nursing program.

“(He was) a very kind, empathetic individual. He smiled all the time.”

Indeed, Nwonye was on his way home from Hersak’s lecture hall when the deadly attack took place, at 6:45 p.m. on the westbound platform of the City Hall LRT station in downtown Calgary.

Stabbed in the chest and abdomen by a man he’d never met, Nwonye was rushed to hospital where he later died.

The man accused in Nwonye’s death was caught by police shortly thereafter, arrested as he attempted to flee the scene in an eastbound train. Keeton Michel Gagnon, 39, has been charged with second-degree murder.

Nwonye only recently moved to Canada with his wife and three children from Nigeria, and was only four weeks into his studies when he died.

Hersak remembered Nwonye as a deeply spiritual man whose faith formed a large part of his life.

Being the only male in the class, Nwonye brought a unique insight, Hersak said — laughing as she described him being responsible for the creation of some “pleasant controversy” during in-class discussions.

Despite only being a student for a short time, Hersak said Nwonye made a definite impression, both on his fellow students and the faculty.

“He had an impact. he had a really big impact in the classroom,” she said.

“He will be missed in the classroom. I know this for a fact.”

bpassifiume@postmedia.com

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/stabbed-by-a-stranger-on-ctrain-platform-nigerian-immigrant-is-mourned-for-his-kindness

May his soul Rest in perfect peace.

Rest in peace bro.
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Edopesin: 7:00am On Jun 06, 2017
This is Serious poo! u don't know Somborri And you killed the person my gawd
Rip

SAY NO TO RACISM cry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by hakeem4(m): 7:01am On Jun 06, 2017
Rest in peace
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Zizicardo(f): 7:01am On Jun 06, 2017
my goodness. d rate at which Nigerians are dying these days is becoming alarming. may God give his loved one d fortitude to bear the loss

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Klington: 7:02am On Jun 06, 2017
Rest in peace bro
No where is safe.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by himkers2: 7:02am On Jun 06, 2017
lagosrd:

Pls who are you talking about here.

Na me undecided

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by hucienda: 7:03am On Jun 06, 2017
chaii .. condolences to his family.
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 06, 2017
Hmm
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:04am On Jun 06, 2017
when your village people followed you all the way to Canada. Really sad, really really sad.

R.I.P

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 06, 2017
cc: maternal, wellendowed
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Partnerbiz(f): 7:05am On Jun 06, 2017
They just got him down. Chai.
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by yaki84: 7:05am On Jun 06, 2017
thread for canadians ;Dthread for canadians
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by rozayx5(m): 7:07am On Jun 06, 2017
this is sad

just like that sad
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by basty: 7:07am On Jun 06, 2017
I pray to God to support the family in this trying moment

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by wakes: 7:07am On Jun 06, 2017
ah!
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 06, 2017
Again?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by NwaIgboBoy(m): 7:08am On Jun 06, 2017
In that case Nigeria should be fast to empoly those of us that just applied for immigration so we can stab Canadian immigrant back....

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by WebSurfer(m): 7:09am On Jun 06, 2017
sad
Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Fulmigati: 7:09am On Jun 06, 2017
Sounds like a hate crime. This is why is so embarrassing to see African s worship white and grovel at their feet when they treat you like sub humans in their countries.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Immigrant Stabbed To Death In Calgary by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 06, 2017
O gad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebonyi: Gunmen In Military Uniform Kidnap John Ulebe Nnaji, 4 Others / Yinusa Names Ese's Baby 'Fatima' From Prison / Man Burns His Mother-in-law To Death In Bayelsa After His Wife Left Him -Graphic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.