Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,551 members, 7,955,050 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:27 PM

Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance (12780 Views)

Lagos, Rivers Lead As States Domestic Debts Hit N4.1tn / Atiku Shocked By Nigeria’s Debt Profile, Says Nation In Financial Crisis / Ondo Records Fastest IGR Growth As Nigerian States Generate N1.1tn In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by kenny987(f): 11:22am On Jun 06, 2017
In summary, the theft is worse now than ever...
Eazybay:

Before you run all over the thread, trying to explain away incompetence, I also need to let u know that this govt has

Removed subsidies
Raised taxes
Plugged Leakages
Raised interest rates
Steady oil income
Eliminated corruption.

Still we have over borrowed for just 1 budget!!! We still need to borrow for the second budget! We have sold oil above the budgetary benchmark hence we have excess crude account increasing.

The painful thing is, there is NO commensurate infrastructural development.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Captain1Nigeria(m): 11:22am On Jun 06, 2017
9jakohai:

More the fault of our economy which has been dependent on the sale of raw materials, and importation of lots of finished stuff from the revenues of those raw materials.

This leaves us at the mercy of

1.Falling prices of whatever resource we sell.

2.Policies of manufacturing nations. A manufacturing nation like Japan, Korea or Germany can devalue their currency. to benefit their domestic manufacturers..and as a result, we need to pay more for the stuff we import

We need to go industrial. No choice.
Yes boss
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 06, 2017
Captain1Nigeria:
Yes boss

Same to you, young master.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 11:35am On Jun 06, 2017
9jakohai:

On that climate thing...all we need to do is end gas flaring, and aggressively plant trees in the far North.

I'm in support of an end to gas flaring. Gas could be used more productively.

I was at a flow station sometime during my school days. This station was being powered by a gas generator. But they still had excess gas to flare. Meanwhile, there is a community nearby that can't boast of 2 hours of electricity daily.

That's the kind of country we live in. Where govt hamstrings everyone and itself.

Before the advent of man, there has been ice ages. Come and gone. Not a single man on earth. Yet ice formed and melted.
But man in his bloated sense of significance wants to claim that his activities can actually influence the climate. Common. Give me a break. Like what percentage of the earth is covered with water? Like 70% or more. Of the 30% we have to inhabit what percentage are we living on?

Man feels too important. Climate change anti-science is driven by greed of politicians like Al Gore and plays on the ego of the virtue-signalling crowd.

See Leonardo di Caprio and Elon Musk jetting all about, even though they are self-proclaimed climavangelists. See Obama's entourage on his visit to Italy. Did he even consider the carbon footprint of such an entourage? Nope. Climate worries are for the little man, right.

A warmer planet makes a greener planet. Plants love it. Animals love it. Food becomes abundant. Glaciers melt and supply more fresh water. And everybody is happy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by agitator: 11:36am On Jun 06, 2017
eee777:
Nigerians 99% of you folks deserve the kind of leadership bedeviling the cesspits called Nigeria. Instead of joining force together to fight the common enemy "politicians" that is not up to 500,000, you are there arguing about parties, ethnicity, If at 2017, you still do not know that all politicians in Nigeria are the same, you are the BIGGEST FOOL on planet earth

Make una dey there dey talk bubu-jona

They divide u fools on media & enjoy themselves in real life. Same stories of good road, education, health care, electricity, pip borne water. Let them be fooling you with fighting corruption

Only the ones in PDP are thieves, APC are saints taking us to the promised land. wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by cjrane: 11:37am On Jun 06, 2017
APC politicians are busy milking what is left of Nigeria, while the zombies are hailing their wickedness to their future. How sad. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Duru009(m): 11:53am On Jun 06, 2017
Am travelling to biafra tomorrow. Am tired of Nigeria and Nigerians!!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by baralatie(m): 11:58am On Jun 06, 2017
sinistermind:
When i see such things, to comment go just weak me.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by bejeria101(m): 12:20pm On Jun 06, 2017
Gej at work? Abi isnt that what you zombies are programmed to say?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by 4Play(m): 12:30pm On Jun 06, 2017
The rise in the FG's debt mirrors the rise in Ogun state's debt under Adeosun's stewardship. For those who attribute Nigeria's present economic malaise solely to Buhari, this is wrong.

You can blame Buhari for the lack of structural reforms, e.g., exchange rate policy and failure to privatise as key examples. But the fiscal policy reflects a view amongst the likes of Adeosun and Udoma that you can "reflate" the economy in the midst of a currency crisis and that Nigeria's infrastructural needs justify a massive debt expansion. This will prove misguided as any debt expansion must be sustainable and anchored on a policy framework that allows the private sector to take a leading role. There is no reason why our railways, air and sea ports ought to be run by a government that has proven incapable of managing anything efficiently.

The government bears the default risk on debt used to finance projects which will be delivered, if at all, way over budget.

All this actually assumes the debt is used to finance capital expenditure, in reality much of it goes to recurrent expenditure which makes prospects much worse.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Pecca: 12:32pm On Jun 06, 2017
obonujoker:
Lol... I thought Buhari is saving money??

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by zik4ever: 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2017
My people, my humble take is that we have a culture of inflated budget and we'll keep borrowing unnecessarily! Many companies have embarked on cost cutting initiatives but ask insiders in the civil service or government and they will tell you that corruption is still the order of the day unfortunately. You just can't beat some of our people to their game. Politicians and bureaucrats still collude systematically to rip us off. Do a real forensic audit of our annual budgets, actual cost of projects and what is truly executed/spent in the year and you will be amazed at how ungodly and unfair to each other we are. Someone died recently just because the kidney dialysis machine at the national hospital wasn't working when he was taken there and he died while being taken to another hospital. Countless have died, salaries are either unpaid or delayed, roads still have pot holes and life is getting really hard for the man on the street, crime and suicide rates are increasing. I can go on and it's not just the federal government. States and Local Governments, the Executive, Judiciary and Legislature are all stakeholders. No one person will change Nigeria. The average politician is already scheming and amassing money for 2019 election!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by sshalom(m): 1:12pm On Jun 06, 2017
Waoh. High debt profile without anything tangible to show for it is like pouring water into a basket - This government must watch its borrowing!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by talk2emma: 1:47pm On Jun 06, 2017

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jun 06, 2017
Duru009:
Am travelling to biafra tomorrow. Am tired of Nigeria and Nigerians!!!

Stay there o. Don't ever come back to Nigeria to avoid any accident.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Jayone001: 3:14pm On Jun 06, 2017
ayzTIGER:
No Hope for Nigeria. Is it not time they lay this country 6ft beneath the earth
I think 6ft would be too shallow for this kind of country o..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Wolfbrother(m): 4:12pm On Jun 06, 2017
this woman is a dullard

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Hardeybee28: 4:56pm On Jun 06, 2017
new2020:
Hausa-Fulani and Yorubaa will destroy this country...they are just scattering everything like babies.
kai stop that
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Hardeybee28: 5:12pm On Jun 06, 2017
now that we v ranted abusive wordson Nigerians, na ghana una com from? and if not, then what will be ur suggestion, to take bomb to aso-rock and blow dem up like they did in ghana for new era?, if dey wan strt such plan u go wait or follow?abi u even fit pioneer such? u think say na one house we dey talk abt nw, we dey talk abt a whole nation,hw u wan go abt it, u cant get political appointment if u no get party nd if u wan join party na one of dis wrong parties u go join now, hence, my humble advice be make God sha intervene....political corruption started FROM OUR houses d thing start self '' everyone thinks of changing d world bt no one think of changing his/herself"...anonymous...brodaly na only God fit save us...one love
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Hardeybee28: 5:18pm On Jun 06, 2017
agitator:

Only the ones in PDP are thieves, APC are saints taking us to the promised land. wink wink wink

@ first write up, now that u v ranted abusive wordson Nigerians, na ghana una com from? and if not, then what will be ur suggestion, to take bomb to aso-rock and blow dem up like they did in ghana for new era?, if dey wan strt such plan u go wait or follow?abi u even fit pioneer such? u think say na one house we dey talk abt nw, we dey talk abt a whole nation,hw u wan go abt it, u cant get political appointment if u no get party nd if u wan join party na one of dis wrong parties u go join now, hence, my humble advice be make God sha intervene....political corruption started FROM OUR houses d thing start self '' everyone thinks of changing d world bt no one think of changing his/herself"...anonymous...brodaly na only God fit save us...one love
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by ogbolo32: 5:38pm On Jun 06, 2017
OK naah we don't hear
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by baralatie(m): 6:04pm On Jun 06, 2017
4Play:
The rise in the FG's debt mirrors the rise in Ogun state's debt under Adeosun's stewardship. For those who attribute Nigeria's present economic malaise solely to Buhari, this is wrong.

You can blame Buhari for the lack of structural reforms, e.g., exchange rate policy and failure to privatise as key examples. But the fiscal policy reflects a view amongst the likes of Adeosun and Udoma that you can "reflate" the economy in the midst of a currency crisis and that Nigeria's infrastructural needs justify a massive debt expansion. This will prove misguided as any debt expansion must be sustainable and anchored on a policy framework that allows the private sector to take a leading role. There is no reason why our railways, air and sea ports ought to be run by a government that has proven incapable of managing anything efficiently.

The government bears the default risk on debt used to finance projects which will be delivered, if at all, way over budget.

All this actually assumes the debt is used to finance capital expenditure, in reality much of it goes to recurrent expenditure which makes prospects much worse.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by baralatie(m): 6:07pm On Jun 06, 2017
TheLordIsGr8:

I'm in support of an end to gas flaring. Gas could be used more productively.

I was at a flow station sometime during my school days. This station was being powered by a gas generator. But they still had excess gas to flare. Meanwhile, there is a community nearby that can't boast of 2 hours of electricity daily.

That's the kind of country we live in. Where govt hamstrings everyone and itself.

Before the advent of man, there has been ice ages. Come and gone. Not a single man on earth. Yet ice formed and melted.
But man in his bloated sense of significance wants to claim that his activities can actually influence the climate. Common. Give me a break. Like what percentage of the earth is covered with water? Like 70% or more. Of the 30% we have to inhabit what percentage are we living on?

Man feels too important. Climate change anti-science is driven by greed of politicians like Al Gore and plays on the ego of the virtue-signalling crowd.

See Leonardo di Caprio and Elon Musk jetting all about, even though they are self-proclaimed climavangelists. See Obama's entourage on his visit to Italy. Did he even consider the carbon footprint of such an entourage? Nope. Climate worries are for the little man, right.

A warmer planet makes a greener planet. Plants love it. Animals love it. Food becomes abundant. Glaciers melt and supply more fresh water. And everybody is happy.
using excess gas to power turbines is a good idea but implementation is gonna be somehow

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by nurex01(m): 6:15pm On Jun 06, 2017
baralatie:

using excess gas to power turbines is a good idea but implementation is gonna be somehow

Yap! Implementation will be some difficult though but very ok.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by ivandragon: 6:38pm On Jun 06, 2017
bottom line is that PMB does not have the administrative acumen to maintain let alone improve an economy that requires nurturing & constant adjustments.

borrowing in itself is not an issue, but when you borrow without any commensurate infrastructural & broad based economic growth, it is a problem.

as much as the past government was wasteful to a worrying extent it could point to capital projects such as roads, rail lines, power stations, educational institutions & some others.

it also had to expend resources on debatable but equally essential recurrent expenses like the war on terror, 100% increase in wages, massive subsidy payments, defending the naira, encouraging local industry growth (agriculture, automotive industries, local content in the oil & gas sector) & attracting FDI...

yet, it maintained a relatively stable polity with all the so called massive corruption & 'cluelessness'.

fact remains that PMB is inept & has surrounded himself with inept people.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by Cjrane2: 6:42pm On Jun 06, 2017
I hope those kids clapping for these old men know they will pay for all these debts borrowed in their name.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by amarilo: 7:01pm On Jun 06, 2017
9jakohai:

1.I take issue with your comment that I am explaining away incompetence.

2.Rather, on the contrary, I am explaining why we have problems, and why we need solutions.....now.

3.My solution is simple. Nigeria needs to take the long and hard road to become an exporter of manufactured goods. You know...that' how China went from backward nation to lender to nations.

4.Not all critiques of the govt begin with 'Buhari is a XYZ...or PRQ'.
Yes china powers there industries with i pass my neighbour. You can wish your problem away. The system of govt is not working. Do something to the system and see nigeria tower.
Re: Nigeria’s Debt Rises By N7.1tn In Two Years - Minister of Finance by nurex01(m): 8:01pm On Jun 06, 2017
ivandragon:
bottom line is that PMB does not have the administrative acumen to maintain let alone improve an economy that requires nurturing & constant adjustments.

borrowing in itself is not an issue, but when you borrow without any commensurate infrastructural & broad based economic growth, it is a problem.

as much as the past government was wasteful to a worrying extent it could point to capital projects such as roads, rail lines, power stations, educational institutions & some others.

it also had to expend resources on debatable but equally essential recurrent expenses like the war on terror, 100% increase in wages, massive subsidy payments, defending the naira, encouraging local industry growth (agriculture, automotive industries, local content in the oil & gas sector) & attracting FDI...

yet, it maintained a relatively stable polity with all the so called massive corruption & 'cluelessness'.

fact remains that PMB is inept & has surrounded himself with inept people.

Sir, I like your comments but the word inept for the President. It really touches me. Please Sir, I think no matter what we should always use good word for them. We can get there too by God's Grace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Members Kick As APGA Zones Presidency To The North / President Buhari To Meet South Africa's Ramaphosa Over Trade, Xenophobia Issues / Nigerian Navy Signs Contract For Two New Warships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.