Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,037 members, 7,835,498 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti (7280 Views)

Corruption: BUHARI gives EFCC Go Ahead to Probe JONATHAN / Ekiti Lawmakers 'offered' $1m To Remove Fayose / Appeal Court Gives CCT Go Ahead To Try Saraki For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by babapupa: 1:30am On Jan 20, 2010
Haiti: LSHA gives Fashola go ahead to donate $1m

The Lagos State House of Assembly on Tuesday said it was in support of Governor Babatunde Fashola’s resolution to donate $1m to victims of the Haitian earthquake.

Fashola in a letter to the Assembly, dated January 18, 2010, had explained that the State Executive Council in its meeting on Monday discussed the recent devastation occasioned by the catastrophic natural disaster in the Republic of Haiti.

The letter was titled, “The Haiti Humanitarian Crisis” and read on the floor of the House by the Clerk of the Assembly, Mr. Taiwo Olatunji

Fashola said in the letter, “We are witnesses to the hardship being experienced and the untold toll on innocent human lives. We have as a government decided that a hand of compassion at this time from the people and government of Lagos State is not only appropriate, but a gesture of recognition of our common heritage and ancestry to a people much in need at this time.

“Accordingly, we resolved to make a donation of $1,000,000 (One Million United States Dollars) on behalf to the government and people of Lagos State as a contribution to this humanitarian crisis of grave proportions.

“I respectfully invite distinguished members of the House of Assembly to consider tabling a resolution recognising this humanitarian crisis and the desirability of providing necessary assistance to the people of Haiti.”

However, in their contribution, the lawmakers said the gesture should have been a responsibility of the Federal Government.

According to Mr. Ipoola Omisore, “this should have been a responsibility of the Federal Government, but now the Lagos State Government has taken the lead and I think it is worthy of commendation.”

Deputy Chief Whip of the House, Lola Akande while urging well meaning Nigerians to support the Haiti’s victims, suggested that the gesture should not be left to the government alone. She added that individuals should also join in contributing through donation of cash and material things.

The House however, in its resolution commended Fashola and the Executive Council for the gesture and thereafter called on other states governments and the Federal Government to support the Haitians.

Haiti was on Sunday hit by 7.0 scale earthquake, which destroyed communities and killed over 100,000 people.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 1:34am On Jan 20, 2010
0hsisi:

I withdraw that statement.
It's an appeal fund not a state donation from state money.
cool

It's not appeal fund like that . It's cash money already disbursed from the government. May be they will start a campaign later to replace it. Read this below:
“Accordingly, we resolved to make a donation of $1,000,000 (One Million United States Dollars) on behalf to the government and people of Lagos State as a contribution to this humanitarian crisis of grave proportions.

“I respectfully invite distinguished members of the House of Assembly to consider tabling a resolution recognising this humanitarian crisis and the desirability of providing necessary assistance to the people of Haiti.”
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by 0hsisi: 1:34am On Jan 20, 2010
biko what is the source of the news above
If he's donating this from Lagos state coffers then he needs to be stopped in his tracks.
That would be stoopid
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by chika98: 1:35am On Jan 20, 2010
In any case $1million is still a lot of money o!
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 1:38am On Jan 20, 2010
chika98:

In any case $1million is still a lot of money o!

$1M is not a lot of money even for Jigawa state. Tax every business owner in the state N20 and all the akara sellers including shewos N5 each, you will get the money in a minute. It may sound like too much money but collectively, it's not a lot. Are you not happy that they did something with it at least unlike others that pocket the money after telling you its donated?
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by chika98: 1:42am On Jan 20, 2010
aloy*emeka:

$1M is not a lot of money even for Jigawa state. Tax every business owner in the state N20 and all the akara sellers including shewos N5 each, you will get the money in a minute. It may sound like too much money but collectively, it's not a lot. Are you not happy that they did something with it at least unlike others that pocket the money after telling you its donated?

Can we get a receipt of the donated money?
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by babapupa: 1:43am On Jan 20, 2010
0hsisi:

biko what is the source of the news above
If he's donating this from Lagos state coffers then he needs to be stopped in his tracks.
That would be stoopid

Who should do the stopping? The Executive council? The Lagos State House of Assembly? The people of the great state of Lagos? Or 0hsisi on NL.

I think you're on your own because the governor, the law makers and the people of Lagos state are on the same page and very proud of their good sense of leadership and responsibility.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by aloyemeka7: 1:43am On Jan 20, 2010
chika98:

Can we get a receipt of the donated money?

I am sure you can track it from the website of the receiving organization. It's not difficult to do if you don't trust them.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Jan 20, 2010
I agree with @SpikedCylinder that Lagos cannot really afford to give away that much BUT I still think it is a good move because the money is not going to waste. I am not sure all Lagosians will agree since there is NO OFFICIAL poll taken to assume that to be the case. lol
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by chyk91(m): 2:16am On Jan 20, 2010
hw much is 1 million dollars? 150 million naira, i dont think its too much, if OBJ could get 7 billion for his library, 1 million is perhaps too small.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Kobojunkie: 2:22am On Jan 20, 2010
chyk91:

hw much is 1 million dollars? 150 million naira, i dont think its too much, if OBJ could get 7 billion for his library, 1 million is perhaps too small.

We are not talking of the country, we are speaking of a state that gets limited amount to spend on it's own people each month from different sources. The state has to fend for about 20 million people EACH DAY, with a vast majority of those living in poor areas. $1 million may be nothing to you but if you put that amount into solely rebuilding just 5 local schools in that state were about 3000 students depend on for their education, there will be noticeable difference.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by chyk91(m): 2:36am On Jan 20, 2010
Yea i can see ur point, but i think LAGOS state should be commended
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by dazzy4real(m): 2:50am On Jan 20, 2010
To me there is no amt dat is too much or 2 small afta all some U.S celebrities donated $1m each so y re we complainin dat lagos gave $1m our moni stil plenty.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Princek12(m): 3:12am On Jan 20, 2010
Why would all these cynics complain about the purported $1M gift? If you see on TV the substantial amount of dead bodies on the streets, the thousands of children who became orphans in a flash, and the amount of hungry people who walk over dead bodies without sufficient food and barely any sleep, then shut up and leave Fashola alone-- if for any reason, for humanitarian reasons.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Kobojunkie: 3:26am On Jan 20, 2010
dazzy4real:

To me there is no amt dat is too much or 2 small afta all some U.S celebrities donated $1m each so y re we complainin dat lagos gave $1m our moni stil plenty.

We are not US Celebrities, we are Nigeria . . . a country barely able to fend for it's own people after corruption and violence steals billions from us each year. Na wa oo!!! $1 million of people's money is still considered a big deal even if US Celebrities can wipe their behind with the same amount. lol
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by ayettymama(f): 4:23am On Jan 20, 2010
personally i dont think this is right, they cant donate public funds to another country, they could have started charities and allowed the people to make donations, without distaster nigeria still needs alot of help, this is another one of our problems tryna prove what were not, we cant even afford the 1million were offering, likewise how the gov.t gave out money when some students from a private (and very expensive school) died,

im guessing intentions were good, but we cant afford it
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by An0nimus: 4:34am On Jan 20, 2010
Some of us no read the news well. . .Naija or anytin Naija do bad-we talk,e no do anything-we talk,e come try do something good-we still de complain?HABA!
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 4:52am On Jan 20, 2010
Lagos has done well.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by rasputinn(m): 5:00am On Jan 20, 2010
Members of the public can also make their donation through some dedicated bank accounts.BUT BEWARE OF SCAM from those yahoo boys
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 5:06am On Jan 20, 2010
^^^ True that, sad that some people without conscience will now use this opportunity to scam people
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by topup: 5:08am On Jan 20, 2010
Nice!!

I like this, hopefully more charitable acts, also for the people, and then jobs, and then health care and then. . . grin grin grin grin
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 5:11am On Jan 20, 2010
^^^ Hope they will have leaders that will blv in better future for that nation, they can now rebuild better and safer
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by babapupa: 5:12am On Jan 20, 2010
ayettymama:

personally i dont think this is right, they cant donate public funds to another country, they could have started charities and allowed the people to make donations, without distaster nigeria still needs alot of help, this is another one of our problems tryna prove what were not, we cant even afford the 1million were offering, likewise how the gov.t gave out money when some students from a private (and very expensive school) died,

im guessing intentions were good, but we cant afford it

The $100 million Obama donated on behalf of the people of the United States was withdrawn from his personal account right?  All the war ships and planes, helicopters and relief supplies belongs to Obama right?  Abeg try make sense small.

This is not about what you can afford or not, it's about compassion and you have no clue par what the state can afford or not afford, you are not their chief financial officer so quit going on and on like you know what you're talking about. The decision to donate was made by every arm of the state government  on behalf of the people of Lagos state and I don't see the people of Lagos state yelling and crying, instead, they're commending their elected officials for doing the right thing with their money and trust, for showing leadership and spearheading the Nations Haiti humanitarian effort.

This is what we expect from our leaders, not mindless embezzlement, silence and vacuum like we have federally.  The state not only gave money, they opened up channels for Lagosians and Nigerians in general to donate and help out. It wasn't done federally, not even outside of Lagos. This is what they call the spirit on compassion, the kind of stuff you  you want your people to learn and get used to because no Nation or group of people  is immune to disasters, we don't know who's turn is around the corner tomorrow. This is the foundation block for a sane and caring society.

What you are here bad mouthing is what the average Lagosian is proud of and commending.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Fhemmmy: 5:17am On Jan 20, 2010
^^^ Great analysis.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by slap1(m): 6:08am On Jan 20, 2010
I said it on this forum on Sunday that Fashola will be the first Nigerian leader remember Haiti. UP FASHOLA, UP AC. Eko oni baje o (i get am?). BTW, where is ELRazur, the anti-Haiti? Watch out for his reply.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by iviix(m): 6:09am On Jan 20, 2010
thumbs up, BRF
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Kobojunkie: 6:11am On Jan 20, 2010
ah ah!!! Why have an issue with persons have views that OPPOSE yours kwanu? O ga ooo!! I can see folks on here who will take a machete to the head of the next man, simply for having a differing view, if they had that opportunity. So what if the dude does not see HAITI through your own eyes, you no see say the problem is probably your inability to handle his right to a view just like you do?  angry
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by kushe: 6:38am On Jan 20, 2010
@kobojunkie

how are u dear?now a quick one!let's imagine most of the people u know in naija prolly stay in port harcort or calabar and a 7.0 struck? 3 out of every 5 buildings collapsed meaning 60% of folks are in danger of having been buried alive under tonnes of rubble especially concrete .what would be your first reaction? think ur grandmum,mum's sister's and her kids type of thing.

now haiti's biggest export is prolly wyclef jean meaning it is a dirt poor country and by it's own self can in no way generate a response.i was watching the prime minister and the president being interviewed by christiane amanpour last night and save for the intervention this people would have been srewed several times over.now my point.

haiti is a seriously fetish and corrupt nation but a disaster is a disaster and after the knocks the world got for not acting quickly enough last year when the country was hit by massive floods,see how much has happened in a week.$1M naaa small thing oooo.believe me cos it cannot buy you a plot anywhere in ikoyi.

america is all over this cos they goofed katrina and the last haiti floods meaning $100M is the cash they will be giving to relief efforts,but what about the trooops and supplies,put a figure to that and you would realize they would end up spending at least a billion.logistics aint cheap.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by babapupa: 6:52am On Jan 20, 2010
Kobojunkie:

ah ah!!! Why have an issue with persons have views that OPPOSE yours kwanu? O ga ooo!! I can see folks on here who will take a machete to the head of the next man, simply for having a differing view, if they had that opportunity. So what if the dude does not see HAITI through your own eyes, you no see say the problem is probably your inability to handle his right to a view just like you do?  angry

There is no need to start acting like a drama queen. This thread remains civil and I don't see any machete or attempts to silence  other views , and if there is, please highlight it or keep quiet and try not to divert the thread with your usual played out  silly moves.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by slap1(m): 6:53am On Jan 20, 2010
ELRazur. Any objection?
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by Kobojunkie: 6:57am On Jan 20, 2010
kushe:

@kobojunkie

how are u dear?now a quick one!let's imagine most of the people u know in naija prolly stay in port harcort or calabar and a 7.0 struck? 3 out of every 5 buildings collapsed meaning 60% of folks are in danger of having been buried alive under tonnes of rubble especially concrete .what would be your first reaction? think your grandmum,mum's sister's and her kids type of thing.

I would urge the government to do something about it, and if I could, I would personally fly out to help.

kushe:

now haiti's biggest export is prolly wyclef jean meaning it is a dirt poor country and by it's own self can in no way generate a response.i was watching the prime minister and the president being interviewed by christiane amanpour last night and save for the intervention this people would have been srewed several times over.now my point.

haiti is a seriously fetish and corrupt nation but a disaster is a disaster and after the knocks the world got for not acting quickly enough last year when the country was hit by massive floods,see how much has happened in a week.$1M naaa small thing oooo.believe me cos it cannot buy you a plot anywhere in ikoyi.

lol. . . I know it is easy for folks to read extra meaning into posts without thinking it is probably BEST to just read the post as is. Like I posted, that $1 million would make a whole load of difference if it was spent right there in Lagos to even improve the schools because those schools are in dire need of it. To the average Nigerianout there, that $1 million could mean the difference between spending yet another year in a sub-standard education system, wondering if there is even any hope for a better tomorrow, and spending it hopeful that the days ahead are definitely brighter. So, instead of trying to PRAISE this move by claiming $1 million means nothing to Nigerians, how about we honestly admit it does mean a buck load in terms of development when effectively applied, but could also do some good in Haiti?

By the way, majority of the folks I know live in areas that are in dire need of help from their government. You inject that $1 million into the schools in the area I grew up alone, I mean even to rebuilding 2 of the main public schools in the area, and you will see tremendous change in the way the kids carry themselves.

kushe:

america is all over this cos they goofed katrina and the last haiti floods meaning $100M is the cash they will be giving to relief efforts,but what about the trooops and supplies,put a figure to that and you would realize they would end up spending at least a billion.logistics aint cheap.
Dude, focus please!!! The Red cross has in less than 1 week received over $100 million in donations. Other groups have received even more. Haiti is in good hands. The $1 million is not going to suddenly save Haiti but is going to go to helping for sure. Unless Haitians step up, this sort of disaster may happen again, and we will find ourselves doing this all over again. 4

Like I said earlier, I am not sure this is wise on the part of the state but I am glad it is going to a good cause. I have family and friends in Lagos who are wondering why the state is giving away money when it needs money to fix so much in the state. We are talking people who are barely able to make ends meet, people who feel terrible about what happened in Haiti and send their prayers daily. I believe you give what you can afford, same method I apply when I am in church, and same everywhere else.
Re: LSHA Gives Fashola Go Ahead To Donate $1M To Haiti by kushe: 7:10am On Jan 20, 2010
the rewards of giving are most enjoyable when it is not the most convenient thing to do.

america understands this hence the USAID,the british have the DFID,the Gates foundation should not even be in nigeria if they read newspapers but there is something about giving even when it feels stupid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS- Gov Fayose Defeated APC Again 26-0 / Nigeria Best Cities Challenge (join Poll Now) / FG Fails To Begin Distribution Of 42,000 Metric Tons Of Grains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.