Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

20 Terrifying Facts About Flying - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Terrifying Facts About Flying (823 Views)

“Unidentified Flying Object” (UFO) Causes Panic In Benin, Edo State / 4 Surprising Tricks You Probably Didn’t Know About Flying / 10 Terrifying Facts About The Bermuda Triangle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Terrifying Facts About Flying by nomenclature(m): 4:45pm On Jun 07, 2017
Sure, it can be argued that the scariest part about flying is being in a giant, metal tube hurtling through the atmosphere in defiance of God. But for me, the scariest thing is the lack of control over my destiny should things go awry.

When the plane hits turbulence, the job of the flight attendants is to keep everyone calm. Landing a plane under dangerous conditions is hard enough; it probably doesn't help the pilot at all to have 80 people freaking out in the back.

But being calm might not actually help you that much during an event in the sky.

CHECK OUT THIS TERRIFYING FACTS ABOUT FLYING

1 IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH,DEPENDING ON THE SPEED OF IMPACT,IT IS LIKELY YOUR BODY (WHICH IS 70 PERCENT WATER) WILL EXPLODE.

When the human body impacts the ground it has to transfer the kinetic energy it has accumulated to somewhere and as the ground will not
usually accept such a sudden and vast amount of energy, the falling body has to absorb it all and may explode.

2 AIRPLANE SEAT BELTS REALLY SHOULD HAVE SHOULDERS STRAPS,DURING A CRASH AT A SLOWER SPEED,SHOULDER STRAPS CAN SAVE
LIVES,LEAVING THE VICTIMS ONLY WITH LIGHT BRUISING ON THE CHEST.

Shoulder straps would be uncomfortable, sure, but death is slightly more uncomfortable.

3 EIGHTY PERCENT OF ALL PLANE CRASHES OCCUR DURING TAKEOFF OR LANDING.

We’re not saying you should spend the three minutes after takeoff and last eight minutes before landing frozen in fear, but you should
probably be awake and alert. Research has shown that these 11 minutes are when 80 percent of plane crashes occur. Think about that the
next time you’re tempted to ignore the flight crew’s instructions.

4 THE LIFE JACKETS ARE MAINLY THERE TO HELP RESCUE CREWS FIND THE BODIES IN THE EVENT OF CRASH.

Didn't really help us much in finding Malaysia 370, however

5 SEATS SHOULD BE REALLY FACED OTHER WAY AROUND

Flight surgeons say the back can absorb much shock than the chest,rear facing seats installed in navy transport planes have saved lives by
tenfold

6 IN THE AIR FORCE,THEY TAKE FOOT PRINTS BECAUSE IN SEVERE CRASHES,THE FEET INSIDE BOOTS ARE THE ONLY THING LEFT TO
IDENTIFY SOLDIERS WITH.

Your guess is as good as mine.

7 OXYGEN MASK DO LITTLE FOR US DURING THE RAPID DESCENT OF A PLANE.

They are meant for when the altitude of the plane exceeds 14,000 feet and the cabin pressure is lost.They may drop during extreme
turbulence but that is because the panels has accidentally come loose.

8 EACH OF THE PARTS OF THE PLANE IS MANUFACTURED BY THE LOWEST BIDDER TO REDUCE COST.

At least plane tickets aren't ridiculously expensive, though, right?

9 DURING THE DESCENT,THE HIGH WIND SPEED CAN CAUSE THE CLOTHES OF PLANE CRASH VICTIMS TO COME RIGHT OFF.

Again, duct tape seems like a good idea right now.

10 IF YOUR PLANE HITS THE WATER AND YOU SURVIVE,THERE IS A CHANCE YOU MAY SUCCUMB TO HYPOTHERMIA,WHICH IN COOL
WATERS,CAN SET IN IN SECONDS.IF YOU SUBMERGE YOUR HEAD COMPLETELY UNDER WATER,IT COULD AFFECT YOUR BRAIN
FUNCTIONALITY.

Heart wrecking i guess.

11 SOMETIMES AIRLINES CUT COST BY SKIMPING ON FUEL,FORCING PLANES TO TAKE OFF WITH LESS THAN THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT OF
FUEL.

If there's one thing you shouldn't skimp on, it's DEFINITELY the lifeblood of the planes.

12 IN THE EVENT OF A FIRE,YOU HAVE APPROXIMATELY 90 SECONDS TO EXIT THE PLANE BEFORE THE WHOLE THING IS TOAST.

Better make sure that you know where the emergency exits are on your flight. The FAA requires that all aircraft be capable of being
evacuated in 90 seconds, as a minute and a half is the amount of time it can take for a fire to spread through the plane. To up your odds,
wear cotton or non-synthetic clothes; synthetics are flammable and may melt to your skin.

13 IF YOU SIT MORE THAN FIVE ROWS AWAY FROM THE EXIT ,STATISTICALLY YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY NOT SURVIVE.

If a crash happens, let’s hope that you’re sitting within five rows of an exit. Statistical analyses of plane crashes have shown that
passengers who sit farther than five rows from an exit have greatly reduced chances of successfully evacuating a plane during an
emergency. Another way to increase your chances of getting off a plane after a crash is to count the rows between your seat and the
nearest exit once you’ve boarded the plane. If visibility is reduced by smoke, you’ll still be able to find your way out.

14 BETWEEN 43 TO 54 PERCENT OF PILOTS HAVE ADMITTED TO FALLING ASLEEP AT THE CONTROLS, A THIRD OF THEM HAVE HAD THE
EXPERIENCE OF WAKING UP ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THEIR PARTNER HAS ALSO FALLEN ASLEEP.

Here’s an eye-opening statistic: Between 43 and 54 percent of pilots surveyed in the U.K., Norway, and Sweden admitted to having fallen
asleep while flying a passenger plane. Even worse, a third of them stated that they woke up to find that their copilot had also been
sleeping.

15 DURING A HIGH SPEED DESCENT,MORE THAN LIKELY THERE WILL BE RAPID DECOMPRESSION IN THE CABIN,CAUSING MOST OF THE
PASSENGERS TO PASS OUT BEFORE THE CRASH.

Kind of comforting, I guess?

16 OXYGEN MASKS WON'T LAST FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES,AIRLINES CLAIM THAT IN 15 MINUTES,THE PILOT WILL BRING DOWN THE
PLANE TO AN ALTITUDE WHERE YOU CAN BREATH NORMALLY.

That if the oxygen masks drop down, you only have about 15 minutes of oxygen from the point of pulling them down. However, that is
more than enough time for the pilot to take us to a lower altitude where you can breathe normally.
More important – at altitude, you have 15-20 seconds before you pass out. Put yours on first, then do your kids. Passing out for a few
seconds won’t harm the kids.

17 YOU WILL NEVER HEAR "ONE OF OUR ENGINES JUST FAILED"INSTEAD YOU WILL HEAR "ONE OF OUR ENGINES IS INDICATING
IMPROPERLY"
This is a simple way of calming your nerves.

18 THE REAL REASON THE LIGHT OF THE AIRPLANE DIM WHILE LANDING

When a plane is landing at night, they dim the interior lights in case you need to evacuate upon landing… your eyes are already adjusted to
the darkness so you’ll be able to see better once outside the plane.

19 PLANES WITHOUT ENGINES CAN STILL GLIDE FOR A REALLY LONG TIME

If both engines fail, a plane can glide 6 nautical miles for every 5000 feet. So at 35,000 feet, a plane can glide about 42 miles without
power. Its why most accidents happen landing or taking off.

20 WHAT FLIGHT ATTENDANTS REALLY DO AFTER TELLING THE PLANE TO TURN OFF THEIR ELECTRONICS

A flight attendant, says after she tells everyone to turn off all electronics, she goes to the back and pulls out her phone and
starts texting.

1 Like

Re: 20 Terrifying Facts About Flying by AceGang(m): 4:46pm On Jun 07, 2017
Eww
Re: 20 Terrifying Facts About Flying by nomenclature(m): 5:01pm On Jun 07, 2017
AceGang:
Eww
scary hey
Re: 20 Terrifying Facts About Flying by Ribajae(m): 5:15pm On Jun 07, 2017
angry
Re: 20 Terrifying Facts About Flying by Nobody: 1:38am On Jun 09, 2017
Wow!!!
All my fears about flying...(everytime I fly) have been confirmed in this interesting write-up!
This is one time that I pray like there's no tomorrow. I pray for skilled pilots...and that the angels will help maneuver the plane. I basically silently I pray during half of the flight.
Cause you become vulnerable to the highest extant possible. Your life is essentially in the pilots' hands. If the plane's going down, you virtually have no chance of surviving.
Take-offs and landings are so frightening...
Yet flying is the most exhilarating feeling in the world. Once I got over my extreme fear, I became addicted to flying. I love it....of course when it's a smooth ride smiley
Good write-up!
Re: 20 Terrifying Facts About Flying by nomenclature(m): 12:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
butno matter what,air transport is still the safest around,do you think otherwise?
Wow!!!
All my fears about flying...(everytime I fly) have been confirmed in this interesting write-up!
This is one time that I pray like there's no tomorrow. I pray for skilled pilots...and that the angels will help maneuver the plane. I basically silently I pray during half of the flight.
Cause you become vulnerable to the highest extant possible. Your life is essentially in the pilots' hands. If the plane's going down, you virtually have no chance of surviving.
Take-offs and landings are so frightening...
Yet flying is the most exhilarating feeling in the world. Once I got over my extreme fear, I became addicted to flying. I love it....of course when it's a smooth ride smiley
Good write-up!

(1) (Reply)

Lufthansa Brings Direct Payment Option To Nigeria / We No Longer Issue Visas To You” – Netherlands Embassy Reminds Nigerians / Cassie De Pecol Becomes First Woman To Visit Every Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.