Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff (15233 Views)

Prices Of Foodstuff Drop Significantly – Survey / Dangote: "Kano & Kaduna Must Account For My Donations"; Gives Ultimatum / Prices Of Foodstuff Forcefully Reduced In Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by leofab(f): 10:31am On Jun 08, 2017
NwaObinkita:
angry

Nigerians are so exploitative....

Dollar instability has made even farmers increase the the price of maize.

Imagine that!!!
you expect farmers to sell heir corn and buy indomie costly while paying higher house rent and transport fares.. you should think with your brain.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by Prazmira(m): 10:49am On Jun 08, 2017
I give kudos to the government for taking this step. I was shocked the day I realized that these guys regulate and control the bags of garri that enter our market daily. The union decides on who and who should sell and how much. Imagine a cup of garri in Akwa ibom is #100 and you dare not sell below the fixed price by the union. Do they need dollar to exchange for garri? Or do they pay custom duty to import garri? This is self-inflicted!
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by ema2017: 11:23am On Jun 08, 2017
The govt should reduce cost of government,provide good roads and reduce fuel prices then it will justify reduction, you can't buy at higher price and expect to reduce the prices. He should know that There are other factors that has led to price increase of which cost of transportation is one factor.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by Carter4luv(m): 11:46am On Jun 08, 2017
Am given 2 weeks ultimatum to nairaland
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by EternalTruth: 12:13pm On Jun 08, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom how you see am? Omo food prices too cost for here o
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by Lush100(m): 12:26pm On Jun 08, 2017
he governor’s aide later appeared on a radio programme on Wednesday to explain how the unions were allegedly responsible for the high prices of foodstuffs in the markets.

“Garri is selling between N30,000 and N22,000 per bag in the state, but if you go outside Akwa Ibom garri it is sold between N18, 000 and N17, 000…. The union doesn’t allow people who are not their members to sell garri in bags in the market,” Mr. Raphael said on the radio programme.

“If you are not their member and you bring in bags of garri into the market, they will seize them from you.

[[b]b]“If you look at it, there are no Customs duties on garri, and garri is not purchased with dollars, so it is the union that is causing the price increase.

“We will not continue to fold our hands and watch them do this; the unions must give traders the free hand to sell their goods.

Dear Governor's aide,

that is not how economy works.

let take an example: the garri is not purchased with dollars (true) but the garri seller has a house , has kids , pays rent, school fees, transport, buys fuel , buys other foods stuff, e.g milk, toothbrush, tin tomato. the garri seller will not eat garri alone , garri production is his business to raise income ,

if these other items have been imported or their prices have been increased by inflation , the garri seller has to factor those increase in how it affect his own income( it reduces his purchasing power) , the same market that the car importer who increased his price due to dollar is the same market the garri seller will buy from.

so sir, hope u can see the connection.
in general economics its called "inflation"
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by Godwritten: 12:28pm On Jun 08, 2017
Blue3k:
Does the Union own the market spots? How exactly can they seize them from non unionized seller?
. The government said the truth. I live in Uyo and i know what obtains here. If you try it. You would have to pay a fine that surpasses the gain.It's in this state that a trade would prefer to pay a wheelbarrow pushed to throw away spoit food items rather than reduce the price.Go to the refuse bin around their markets, you will marvel at the economic waste. A pastor once said that his wife came complaining that sales was slow.He told her to reduce the price because he knew how much she bought the goods.The wife refused. He told wife that why he likes the Igbos in business.They are gifted.The Igbos will take all your customers and make more profits because they believe in little profit margin, but high turnover.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by EvangelistNdudi(m): 12:40pm On Jun 08, 2017
femiranking28:
If I buy stuff for 10k I should sell for 5k right. Mr governor na now things go hard to find for market ehh
we can't​ blame government for something we are responsible for, if you want to know the hand behind this inflation then dissolve every Union in all market

Market Union always force traders to increase price

you can only know this if you are a trader or was a trader
Government really need to come in

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by eyennyin: 12:55pm On Jun 08, 2017
A free and true market is where goods and services are demanded and supplied freely . Unionism is a fundamental right but it must not infringe on the rights of non members who also want to access a free market.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by tugrow(m): 1:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
Now that I want to join the union grin angry
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by AllHailBiafra(m): 1:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
Badgers14:
Well, I give Akwaibom state 25 days to fix all the roads and provide 24 hours electricity for residents of Akwaibom angry angry
Which roads are you talking about Mr man? How can you sit in Badagli and know what is happening in in Akwa Ibom? For your information, Akwa Ibom is competing with Anambra State on good road network. Say what you know.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 1:07pm On Jun 08, 2017
EternalTruth:
NtoAkwaIbom how you see am?
Omo food prices too cost for here o

things coat oo my broda, as our developers brodas dong infect people for here with get rich quick disease na so everybody wan sell even pure water build house, buy car..
but God dey shAa.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by Kbanka: 1:44pm On Jun 08, 2017
Badgers14:
Well, I give Akwaibom state 25 days to fix all the roads and provide 24 hours electricity for residents of Akwaibom angry angry
Dude. Akwa ibom has one of the best road networks in Nigeria. If na lie, mention where there are bad roads, including their local governments sef.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by EternalTruth: 3:16pm On Jun 08, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

things coat oo my broda, as our developers brodas dong infect people for here with get rich quick disease na so everybody wan sell even pure water build house, buy car..
but God dey shAa.
you dey mind dem flat heads ni were don infest everywhere with their negative development, why The North wan send dem packing.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by nsikakekoh: 3:49pm On Jun 08, 2017
johntaiwo123:
They have to sell what they buy and mind you profit must be made.

You buy high and sell higher. If Gov. cannot make them get it at a lower price. Why will they sell cheap. You wan make them lose??

Nigerians want a better economy.
you are an idiot for supporting bag thing.devil
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by mikolo80: 4:37pm On Jun 08, 2017
Atoh then they better be ready to pay the 30000 like that and stop complaining
smartty68:

Lol! Sorry for the misunderstanding. Ok but the market goers has this "I don't care attitude". The union would rather be futile
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by itsmeurLady(f): 8:05pm On Jun 08, 2017
U won't understand wat this Man is trying to say except u stay in akwaibom.... the price of foodstuffs here are damn too high, everything is fucking expensive. Buying Stuffs in the market here is like u are buying in a supermarket, they tell u it's 200, and no bargain.... Go to the next shop, d same thing bcs of this union he is talking abt.... no variety of prices, fixed prices everywhere and u'd be wondering if they planned it... I'm grateful for this, I pray they implement it! Bsyds, I dnt even kno wat they are increasing prices for, not like this place is Abuja or sumfin.... cnt wait to finish my service and leave this place

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by ayindejimmy(m): 9:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
I said this last week when some people complained the it's the herdsmen the are causing the unabated increase in foodstuffs.

This union issue is also a huge factor. Everything that's being sold in the market has a union, and they dictate the price.
Before when you go from market to market, you can get different prices. But these days, nothing like that again

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by EmmanuelCena(m): 1:55am On Jun 09, 2017
NwaObinkita:
angry

Nigerians are so exploitative....

Dollar instability has made even farmers increase the the price of maize.

Imagine that!!!

You seem to lack basic knowledge of economics.
I beg you pardon sir, if I come as being harsh!

A situation whereby the cost of production increases (as you know, transport, fuel, and other basic amenities have increased) the producer has to adjust price an te final consumer eventually bears the burden.

It's just basic economics sir.
Rather than blame the poor traders, let's blame the government (exploitative traders also should be blame, but te fact remains that the government deserves a bulk of the blame)

It times of inflation, their should be bail out funds... a kind of subsidy should be paid to food producers to ensure that price of basic items o not skyrocket!
Oh! I forgot! We don't have an agency monitoring the price of food!!!

Once again, I beg your pardon sir; no insult was intended.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by signz: 7:05am On Jun 09, 2017
The state government should liase with LGs on the state and build markets were unionism is not allowed.

Build markets free of unions in all the LGs.

It makes no sense why Crayfish is cheaper in Aba than Akwa Ibom.
Re: Akwa Ibom Govt Gives Traders 31 Day Ultimatum To Reduce Price Of Foodstuff by geraldo077: 9:45am On Jun 09, 2017
Very true, if you have ever stayed in akwa ibom,you would appreciate what the govt is trying to do as per price reduction....everything there is so expensive..btw, akwa ibom roads are comparable to the roads in abuja...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kerosene Now At 300/litre As Scarcity Hits And Supply Model Crashes / Diamond Bank Staff In Court Over $1m Fraud / Traders Weep As Fire Guts Timber Market In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.