Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,000 members, 7,825,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Every Things About South Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Every Things About South Africa (7258 Views)

All About South Africa / 10 Things About Living Abroad: No Turning Back / About South Korea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Every Things About South Africa by shola123(m): 1:57pm On Jan 20, 2010
South Africa Attractions.

Fall in love with South Africa's Mother City

Which of the South Africa attractions are the most popular?

This is a question many of you and tourists ask,
but which can not be answered easily.
The Mother City is easy to fall in love with and if you live in
South Africa you will appreciate everyday the easy-going African
lifestyle mixed with the finest atmosphere an expatriate lifestyle can offer you.
To give you an insider's choice I will list my Top Ten South Africa Attractions,
my favorite places and activities, where you will experience the amazing
South Africa atmosphere.
And then there are so many other great places that make
South Africa living so enjoyable,
Re: Every Things About South Africa by suxes2005(m): 4:30pm On Jan 20, 2010
so wat?

any sense in wat u've just written?

SHALOM

1 Like

Re: Every Things About South Africa by niceguy10: 4:44pm On Jan 20, 2010
There is nothing interesting about here bro. No place Like Home.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by suxes2005(m): 4:58pm On Jan 20, 2010
nice_guy i heard some pple r making
it big time in S.A

how true is that

but compare it to 9ja also

SHALOM
Re: Every Things About South Africa by niceguy10: 5:42am On Jan 21, 2010
Guy, the fact is that S.A is far better than Nigeria, but there are lot and lots of crimes here,  you can easly get killed in the street of Jo'burg just for nothing , lot of our guys are here doing nothing and is not easy for them comeing back home , yes some guys are making it big time but is 1 out of 100,  what our guys are getting into  here, men you can not dream of doing that, Bros Life Here Is HardCore.

1 Like

Re: Every Things About South Africa by RSA(m): 8:34am On Jan 21, 2010
^^The reality is in life you must plan and do your research before doing anything,even whn migrating to another country or city.
Most Nigerians I've realised that they don't do the above,aslong as they have the right documents and a ticket they will fly to unknown countries hoping for the best when they get there,and we all know that the green is not always greener on the other side.

I mean I want to come to Naija myself for business opportunities,and currently I'm busy with my research,and through that I will know how much capital I will need and also I should have a return ticket,in case things don't work out.

I think people who've made in SA are people who have well researched plans and missions.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by suxes2005(m): 6:22pm On Jan 21, 2010
yep bros
u guys r right but IMO
i fink it all depends on u and God
if its ur time, no matter where you are
yoiu'll always make ends meet and also
save some,

SHALOM
Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2010
nice-guy10:

Guy, the fact is that S.A is far better than Nigeria, but there are lot and lots of crimes here,  you can easly get killed in the street of Jo'burg just for nothing , lot of our guys are here doing nothing and is not easy for them comeing back home , yes some guys are making it big time but is 1 out of 100,  what our guys are getting into  here, men you can not dream of doing that, Bros Life Here Is HardCore.

Joburg is not the Rest of South Africa. Yes, some parts of Joburg are a bit rough. Roughly 5% of the city you have to be careful when visiting there. Places to be more carefully about; Hillbrow, Berea, Rosettenville and some parts of the city, from Bree street to Noord street. You need to be careful in this places more especially at night. Is that the rest of South Africa? You still got 95% peaceful Joburg. You also have the peaceful mini cities sourounding the whole of joburg. There is beautiful and peaceful places in Joburg. There is Randburg, Sandton,Fourways, Midrand, Kempton park, Germiston, Rodeeport, Soweto, Rosebank, Benoni, Brakpan, Springs, Nigel, Boksburg, Krugersdorp, Bedfordview, Primrose, Edenvale and Alberton. This are mini cities surounding  Joburg and they are very much peaceful. When you stay here, you dont need to go to Joburg CBD, because this mini cities have their own CBD's. Whatever you want in th Joburg CBD you will also find it in Sandton, Randburg, Revonia, Fourways Germiston and so forth.

Besides that you still have beautiful and peaceful cities like Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria, Port Elizaberth, Bleomfontein, Kimberly, East London, Polokwane, Pietermaritzburg, Neilspruit. Veeriniging, Witbank, Rustenburg, Mafikeng, Sun City, Richards Bay, Upington, Mokopane. Middelburg. These are beautiful places where you can visit without any worries.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 9:56pm On Jan 21, 2010
RSA:

^^The reality is in life you must plan and do your research before doing anything,even whn migrating to another country or city.
Most Nigerians I've realised that they don't do the above,aslong as they have the right documents and a ticket they will fly to unknown countries hoping for the best when they get there,and we all know that the green is not always greener on the other side.

I mean I want to come to Naija myself for business opportunities,and currently I'm busy with my research,and through that I will know how much capital I will need and also I should have a return ticket,in case things don't work out.

I think people who've made in SA are people who have well researched plans and missions.

Spot on RSA, when they see the big skyscrapers they rush there. Cities are beautiful from far away. You dont know whats underneath those buildings, these guys they just think that big skyscrapers means big money. They dont know that thats the getto. The money is in these small cities like Bedfordview, Rosebank, Randburg, Fourways, midrand and so forth.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 11:30pm On Jan 21, 2010
Thats Sandton for you North of Joburg, 15kms from Joburg CBD. It is stll part of Joburg.

Re: Every Things About South Africa by niceguy10: 12:11am On Jan 22, 2010
Are you kiding me? That 95% of jo'burg cities are peaceful? Are you a South African?
Re: Every Things About South Africa by RSA(m): 8:00am On Jan 22, 2010
nice-guy10:

Are you kiding me? That 95% of jo'burg cities are peaceful? Are you a South African?

I think he is right,only the places he has mentioned are no go area in the CBD and you will aggree with me that thats where you find most residential areas.The rest of the CBD is commercial area,that is where you'll find Provincial Goverment offices,Major Banks and some classy Hotels.The whole of Marshaltown in CBD is very very safe and Braamfontein is also safe.

And I am a South African by the way.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by jupita: 10:56am On Jan 22, 2010
i just got my study permit, am coming to cape town next week. any tips for me?
Re: Every Things About South Africa by yoruba: 1:18pm On Jan 22, 2010
jupita:

i just got my study permit, am coming to cape town next week. any tips for me?
In honest truth, my personal experience of cape town is quite different from Johannesburg(that's where I reside). Cape Town is like a calm European city, in terms of environment and vibe so much you'll be surprised at the level of difference between Jo'burg and Cape Town, in fact people are even surprised that they are cities of one country. But overall I think Cape Town lifestyle is quite expensive(e.g. the price of bread is more expensive) and the quality of life is thus superb. The reason why people move to Jo'burg than Cape Town is because of money. You can earn a higher salary in Jo'burg than any other city in SA, that's why I think the level of crime in Jo'burg is high. Jo'burg is like the fast New York life style and Cape Town is like that Mediterranean city. The only tip I can give is that Cape Town is very expensive but overall you will enjoy it like millions of tourist that flock in every year. : wink
Re: Every Things About South Africa by yoruba: 1:34pm On Jan 22, 2010
nice-guy10:

I'm a South African myself(its the first time admitting it grin grin) but I'll be honest; although I haven't been robbed or experienced a crime Joburg is about 50% safe and I live in Fourways. I can give a long list of places that are extremely violent and a list of places that are very safe. Jo'burg is a city full of contradictions, so much that hollywood script writer's finds that city amazing.

1 Like

Re: Every Things About South Africa by visitSA: 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2010
South Africa is a beautiful country, and so is Nigeria. Both countries complement each other in many ways, but to compare the two is no different to comparing an apple with a mango. I would like to encourage anyone to consider visiting SA before jetting off to Europe or America and see for yourself the magic we have wink Especially our health services and tour attractions, follow me to www.visitsa4health.com for a sneak preview of how lovely South Africa is. I've also toured your country; Calabar, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Lagos, Ogun State, Abuja and Kaduna. Let's see that could be like Eastern Cape, Cape Town, Durban, Jo'burg, Polokwane, Upington and Nelspruit/ Mpumalanga Provine. If you can't fly over just yet, visit us virtually on [url]http://www.southafrica.net/sat/content/en/za/home[img][/img]
Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 2:20am On Jan 25, 2010
RSA:

I think he is right,only the places he has mentioned are no go area in the CBD and you will aggree with me that thats where you find most residential areas.The rest of the CBD is commercial area,that is where you'll find Provincial Goverment offices,Major Banks and some classy Hotels.The whole of Marshaltown in CBD is very very safe and Braamfontein is also safe.

And I am a South African by the way.

I lived in Joburg CBD and in Soweto. If i tell you that Soweto is much safer than CBD you will disagree. I lived in Joburg for 5 years, 2 years in the CBD and 3 Years in Soweto. I felt much safer in Soweto than in the CBD. And in tha 5 years i was never robbed. Actually i have never been robbed in my whole life or been threatened. It has never happened to me. Marshall Town and Braamfotein i found them very safe.

I now live in Pretoria for the past 12 years. Its one of the safest places in SA. Coming to Joburg again, I think you just need to be carefull more especiall at night after 20:00 in Hellbrow, Berea, Doorfontein, Yoeville. These are places with a high concentration of foreign people. The majority of them are from Nigeria, Zimbabwe, DRC, Cameroon, Ivory coast, Ghana and Somalia. Crime tends to happen between these people. You will find a zimbabwean robbing a Nigerian guy. These place is 90% foreign people. South Africans have moved out of these places because they felt like they were living in a foreign country since they became manority.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 3:01am On Jan 25, 2010
nice-guy10:

Born and Bred my man. At least 450 people dont get killed every day and no one is arrested. We killed 52 during the Xenophobic attack and we were in big big trouble. You guys are just slaughtering each other up there and still say South Africa is the most Violent place in the world. Some times you should start looking closer to home then you can make comments.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by franko2: 6:52pm On Jan 27, 2010
nice-guy10:

I am Nigerian. I lived in Jo'burg for 5 years. In this time, I frequented Alex a lot, for the simple reason there were loadsa beauties there at the time! All this time, I also frequented Berea, Hillbrow, CBD and Soweto.

The only time I faced significant crime, was in Hillbrow, when a large rock was thrown on top my car roof, one particular 24th December nite, must have been a few doggone years ago. Other than that, I cant really say I have been done by criminals. Mind you, there was always an almost invincible undercurrent of crime whenever I went to Hillbrow, it always spooked me - Hillbrow.

Also, once in Alex, on a particular saturday morning round about 11am, I was following a car driven by a black guy, he parked middle of the road, and started talking to a mate, i beeped angrily and made to overtake him, then he moved off in a screech!  Suddenly, he stopped again very abruptly, then, got out spoke to a fella on the roadside, I was getting exasperated by this time. Then, he suddenly went round the back of his car, faced me, while leaning on his boot, he raised his t-shirt, to reveal a gun tucked in, for my attention.

He then pulled his T-shirt back, got in his car, and drove off!  Phew!!!

That was that! And, that was as far as crime came close to me, all my lovely time in RSA. I do miss it. I lived mostly in Wendywood, Sandton by the way!

RSA is a hard place, especially Jo'burg, if you keep your head down and get on with it, you should be fine.

However, without your research BEFORE you head up, you are likely to roast to death in RSA.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by niceguy10: 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2010
So what you are saying is the fact that for 5 years since you live in Jo"burg you really do find it very peaceful?
Re: Every Things About South Africa by franko2: 7:57pm On Jan 27, 2010
Paeceful(ness) is relative, isnt it? I would say that, throughout most of my time there, save for the incidences I recounted here (maybe some more I may have forgotten), it was as peaceful as I have experienced when I lived in Lagos, P Harcourt, London etc.

I lived over 20 years in Lagos, about 5 years in P Harcourt and long enough in London.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by RSA(m): 9:31am On Jan 28, 2010
franko!:

I am Nigerian. I lived in Jo'burg for 5 years. In this time, I frequented Alex a lot, for the simple reason there were loadsa beauties there at the time! All this time, I also frequented Berea, Hillbrow, CBD and Soweto.

The only time I faced significant crime, was in Hillbrow, when a large rock was thrown on top my car roof, one particular 24th December nite, must have been a few doggone years ago. Other than that, I cant really say I have been done by criminals. Mind you, there was always an almost invincible undercurrent of crime whenever I went to Hillbrow, it always spooked me - Hillbrow.

Also, once in Alex, on a particular saturday morning round about 11am, I was following a car driven by a black guy, he parked middle of the road, and started talking to a mate, i beeped angrily and made to overtake him, then he moved off in a screech!  Suddenly, he stopped again very abruptly, then, got out spoke to a fella on the roadside, I was getting exasperated by this time. Then, he suddenly went round the back of his car, faced me, while leaning on his boot, he raised his t-shirt, to reveal a gun tucked in, for my attention.

He then pulled his T-shirt back, got in his car, and drove off!  Phew!!!

That was that! And, that was as far as crime came close to me, all my lovely time in RSA. I do miss it. I lived mostly in Wendywood, Sandton by the way!

RSA is a hard place, especially Jo'burg, if you keep your head down and get on with it, you should be fine.

However, without your research BEFORE you head up, you are likely to roast to death in RSA.

My brother I am impressed,first you lived in Sandton,but frequently visited Soweto and Alex and sometime Hillbrow.Based on all the places you've been to,I trust your judgement on SA,GOOD OR BAD,and  have said it before,that most people judge SA only on Hillbrow more especially Nigerians,Hillbrow is a hell(although the goverment is busy trying to clean it up),it is a red light district,only the scum of the world live there.

People forget that there are other provinces and cities in SA,where people are welcoming,there are lot of  places in SA where if people realised that you're not a local then they'll all want to invite you to their houses,it's in our culture as South Africans and Africans,we call it Ubuntu in Zulu and Botho in Tswana/Sotho,humanity.

My point is South Africa is a big country,diverse society and culture,when you're there try to move around see other places not just Joburg,Cape town and Durban.The official stastistic says that we have a population of around 50 million,but independent statistians estimate the number to be around 70 million.
Just because there are kidnapers in Delta it does not mean the whole of Naija is Kidnapper friendly.

2 Likes

Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 12:14am On Jan 29, 2010
RSA:

My brother I am impressed,first you lived in Sandton,but frequently visited Soweto and Alex and sometime Hillbrow.Based on all the places you've been to,I trust your judgement on SA,GOOD OR BAD,and have said it before,that most people judge SA only on Hillbrow more especially Nigerians,Hillbrow is a hell(although the goverment is busy trying to clean it up),it is a red light district,only the scum of the world live there.

People forget that there are other provinces and cities in SA,where people are welcoming,there are lot of places in SA where if people realised that you're not a local then they'll all want to invite you to their houses,it's in our culture as South Africans and Africans,we call it Ubuntu in Zulu and Botho in Tswana/Sotho,humanity.

My point is South Africa is a big country,diverse society and culture,when you're there try to move around see other places not just Joburg,Cape town and Durban.The official stastistic says that we have a population of around 50 million,but independent statistians estimate the number to be around 70 million.
Just because there are kidnapers in Delta it does not mean the whole of Naija is Kidnapper friendly.

I agree with you RSA. Most of people are just judging Joburg based on what happens in Hillbrow. Hellbrow as i like to call it, is like 2% of the whole of Johannesburg. Where is the other 98%. Then, would you say Los Angeles is violent based on what happens in Compton and South Central? What baffles me is that people complain about crime in SA but they still come to visit every year. If people were concerned about crime in SA, we wouldn't have 11 million visiting every year. Considering that South Africa is the number one tourist destination in Africa, people should just ask themselves what keeps these tourists coming to SA when they know that it is dangerous.

South Africa has overtaken Egypt as Africa's No.1 tourist destination, beating them for a third year running. it shows that South Africa is much safer than most African countries, other wise those tourists wouldn't keep coming to SA. I always say that crime in SA is overexaggerated. People in Britain report about crime in SA they even forget whats happening behind their back yard. I think the hype is caused by the most frustrated white people who try to leave the country and go on to bad mouth the country in England, Australia and New Zealand. They give those reasons as a reason why they left, which is not true, they left because they did not want to be ruled by black people. What frustrates me is they end up coming back after some 1 or 2 years after realizing that the grass is not exactly greener on the other side. Most people do not know that whites South African live better compare to Whites in USA and Britain. A study has shown that. And these people are the ones who are still bad mouthing the country because they are angry since their financial power has become minimal. People say Whites are leaving the country, i will tell you something that you might not know. There is no a single white person who is leaving the country, at least for now. I work with this white dude, he was telling me that he would never leave South Africa since South Africa is better for him. He says the standard of life that he lives here is better than it would be in another country. South Africa is just like any other country where crime can happen.

1 Like

Re: Every Things About South Africa by RSA(m): 8:52am On Jan 29, 2010
^^Just to add a point on what you've said,when it come to crime,more esspecialy rappes and murders research shows that it mostly happen between people who knows each other and alchohol abuse play a big role in that moslty from poor areas.And regarding rappe the stats also include cases where a wife reported her husband for rappe,and most of the time this cases don't go even go to court because the wife end up withdrowing her charges.But the stats will remain.

I am not defending SA crime in any way,but most of the things written about SA are being exaggerated,maybe for political reason or others,I have not heard a gunshot in the last 14 years not single.I have never seen a dead body lying in the street because someone has been stabbed or shot at by a criminal.But the way things are reported is like when you leave your house in the morning you wonder if you'll ever come back alive.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by 14(m): 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2010
I also have not seen a dead person on the street since i was born. I have not heard a gun shot in the past 10 years and i live in south africa's 4th biggest city which is the capital of SA Pretoria. I have never been robbed. This goes to show you that these guys have some thing against South Africa.They want this country to fail. The british and the germans media are always behind us. I do not know what we have done to these guys. These guys dont want to see Africa developing. Africa should always be poor according to them.

I was surprised by the remarks made by this german soccer legend who pretended to support south africa's bid, now he is showing his true colours. When he suggested that FIFA made a wrong decision in bringing the world cup to Africa. He knows that this world cup is gonna be much bigger than German's. And our dear brother from Brazil just added salt into the wound. We trusted this brother from Brazil, but now he will find it difficult to have friends in South Africa. He is just gonna be sidelined, and we are good at that, ask the CAF President. He surppoted the Arab bid for 2010 (Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco). When he came here during the Confederations Cup, he was given a shoulder. Thats what we gonna do to the legend from germans which i forgot his name and Pele, who forgot his roots. Pele is forgetting that Brazil is next. Its not gonna be easy, i am just waiting for the brazil's World Cup and see what the so called civilized people from Europe are gonna say. Brazil is violent, if you thought South Africa was violent than Brazil. Then world cup will just expose you. The drug lords, rapists and Bugglery. Pele must not say anything because Brazil is more dangerous than South Africa. A player was shot in Mexico after a game last weekend, then why dont we ask ourselves whether the world cup in brazil is gonna be safer or not. Because Mexico is a different country. But that does not apply in Africa. If 450 people get slaughtered in Nigeria, then the whole of Africa is not save.
Re: Every Things About South Africa by scofield2016: 1:02pm On Jan 23, 2020
7 THINGS TO DO IN SOUTH AFRICA DURING A WEEKEND VACATION

Down in the southernmost part of Africa, you’ll see a beautiful country marked by lush Winelands, several relaxation spots, and lots of nearly distinct ecosystems. Driving down the Western Cape while enjoying the serene views of the beach is an experience that’s worth having. This country, South Africa welcomes you with a warm embrace that leaves you relaxed and over the moon with all the fun it offers.

https://blog.travelbeta.com/things-to-do-in-south-africa-during-a-weekend-vacation/

(1) (Reply)

Urgent: How Do I Get To Immigration Office In Festac / Getting Another Nigerian E-passport? / No Plan To Convert Arik To National Carrier — FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.