Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,632 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help (13635 Views)

Motorized Weeders On Wheels, Planters, Brush Cutters... / U.S. Invests N8.6 Billion To Boost Small-scale Farming In Nigeria / 5 Agribusiness You Can Start In 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 7:48pm On Jun 08, 2017
I have about 2000 trees.
I planted them progressively since 2012.
I started production of oil 2015.
I have issues that I have faced and succeeded. If you are interested in starting a farm, ask me questions and I can share my good and not-too-good moments with you. Issues ranging from land acquisition, clearing to plant, netting, fertilizing, row weeding and on and on.

All in all, I can encourage young ones or anyone to start your own palm tree farm, its a worthwhile investment.

Ask any question and ill try as much as i can to answer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Wonder1844(m): 8:07am On Jun 09, 2017
Please drop your number on my mail. freeman4excel@gmail.com
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2017
Can you write me an email and include your number and I'll reach out to you. Oog6652@gmail.com
You can also ask a question here so I can answer to the general benefit of others.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Beava: 2:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
What is d Size of d land that contain d 2000 palm stand. What is d cost of clearing and preparing d land for planting per acre and cost of planting per stand. Awaiting your appreciated response

oogalabs2:
I have about 2000 trees.
I planted them progressively since 2012.
I started production of oil 2015.
I have issues that I have faced and succeeded. If you are interested in starting a farm, ask me questions and I can share my good and not-too-good moments with you. Issues ranging from land acquisition, clearing to plant, netting, fertilizing, row weeding and on and on.

All in all, I can encourage young ones or anyone to start your own palm tree farm, its a worthwhile investment.

Ask any question and ill try as much as i can to answer.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2017
Beava:
What is d Size of d land that contain d 2000 palm stand. What is d cost of clearing and preparing d land for planting per acre and cost of planting per stand. Awaiting your appreciated response

I purchased 55+ acres but have not planted all the land. You don't have to to have that kind of land plus, it's better to go far where people are generally not interested. It's in those areas that you can find cheap land.
In my area, ogun state, its better to use laborer rather than machine for land clearing. 25-30k will clear an acre virgin land. It's cheaper if the land have been used before.
1 stand cost about N170( 1 year old), it's a lot cheaper if you buy the kernel and start a nursery yourself. It will take between 8 months and a year before they be ready for transplanting.

Let me know if you have further questions
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Matysu: 5:56pm On Jun 09, 2017
What is the minimum number of trees you'll advise me to start with and the land size I will need?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by kyriannelson(m): 6:21pm On Jun 09, 2017
What species of oil palm did you plant, also how much is 1ha of land, i have interest in oil palm plantation, the challange over here is land
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2017
Matysu:
What is the minimum number of trees you'll advise me to start with and the land size I will need?
The answer to your question is dependent on ho much naira you have. If you already have a land, then the better (remember I am not talking about your backyard).
Palm trees are planted with 30ftx30ft distances between trees, if you do the maths you should be able to squeeze 50-60 trees in 1 acre.
if you have lots of cash, you can do a lot, of course you need to think about the initial period when you cant produce any oil. At those times, maintenance cash will be from your pocket
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 7:16pm On Jun 09, 2017
kyriannelson:
What species of oil palm did you plant, also how much is 1ha of land,
i have interest in oil palm plantation, the challenge over here is land
I am not sure of the name of the species or subspecies. What i did know is that, the species will start producing fruits in 3 years.
When I started, I bought from NIFOR in Benin (http://nifor.gov.ng/), but subsequently i found out that local farmers have nurseries of NIFOR-produced seeds. I bought from these farmers. I have also made my own nurseries too at some point.
The price of land depends on how deep into the forest you go. Believe it or not, in many parts of Ogun State and generally in the SW, you can get 1 acre for 150k or less. Remember 1ha is =2.5 acres. What part of the country are you located?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Wonder1844(m): 8:08pm On Jun 09, 2017
Is it safe to buy land in SW for non indigenes? A friend was telling me that land owners come to reclaim the lands after some years. And also what is advisable to plant along side oil palm since I need to plant them 9 metres apart.?
The N170 you talked about is it for seedlings?
Thanks for your time.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2017
Wonder1844:
Is it safe to buy land in SW for non indigenes? A friend was telling me that land owners come to reclaim the lands after some years. And also what is advisable to plant along side oil palm since I need to plant them 9 metres apart.?
The N170 you talked about is it for seedlings?
Thanks for your time.

Yes it is. Get a lawyer who will charge 10% of land purchase price to do Deed Of Assignment[i][/i] between you and the sellers. That's what i did despite the fact that I am from Ogun State. Always remember that buying land close to settlements- to a city or town, is an invitation to wahala. regardless of where, people like sought after properties, but disdain the deep forest.
You may be able to plant corn or cassava, water melon etc within the rows or in my case and in exchange for weeding the farm, i rent it out to farmers who plant corn and cassava.
The 170N is for a 1 year old nursed tree

3 Likes

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Wonder1844(m): 11:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
Thanks a lot for your answer. Where can I get the one year old nurse tree to buy?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 11:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
Wonder1844:
Thanks a lot for your answer. Where can I get the one year old nurse tree to buy?
It depends on your area. Most part of SW and SS will have someone who has it available for sale. You will need to get closer to the local farmers.
Can you send me your location and may be able to find contacts. Someone who knows someone
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by adaeze91(f): 8:08am On Jun 10, 2017
that is great work u ar doing
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by karlxavier(m): 9:50am On Jun 10, 2017
Wow. Wow. Great work you have here... This is lovely anyways. If one is to plant plantain in the land, how many suckers can be planted in those empty rows per acre?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by karlxavier(m): 11:11am On Jun 10, 2017
Another thing is, how many bunches does it produce on the third year per tree or acre? Thanks as u reply. I also guess one can intercrop cassava on it and likely recoup the investment on the first year as well, that can be a way to get started too
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 2:35pm On Jun 10, 2017
karlxavier:
Another thing is, how many bunches does it produce on the third year per tree or acre? Thanks as u reply. I also guess one can intercrop cassava on it and likely recoup the investment on the first year as well, that can be a way to get started too
One year fruiting depends on so many factors. It can go from bumper to disappointing. 0-20 bunches per tree is my experience.
Big is the Factors such as how much weeding around the palm trees are done. The cleaner the environment around the trees, the more harvest one expects. If a tree competes with tall grasses for nutrients and sunlight, what happens is that you will get tall palm trees that can be barren in the first five years.
Applying fertilizer at least one time per year can determine amount and size of bunches.
Yes you can intercrop. It makes economic sense.
I also have a small herd of cattles and what I found out is that the trees near where the cows spend most of their time produce abundant fruits.
So, short answer to your question is 0-20 bunches per tree.
I hope this answer helps. I just woke up and ramble sometimes
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 2:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
adaeze91:
that is great work u ar doing
Thanks.
My goal is to encourage as many young people as possible to try permanent crop farming.

2 Likes

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
karlxavier:
Wow. Wow. Great work you have here... This is lovely anyways. If one is to plant plantain in the land, how many suckers can be planted in those empty rows per acre?
I don't have much successful experience with plantain. Few years ago I rented 2 acres to a guy who planted plantain in exchange for keeping that portion of the farm clean. He never came back the following season. What I take from that is that he wasn't successful. Of course that may be due to so many factors.
Short answer is that I don't have experience with bananas of any kind.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by karlxavier(m): 4:00pm On Jun 10, 2017
Wow. Thanks for that insight sir. Am grateful. However, I guess you would process your palm fruits in the future or have you set up processing plant cos I guess it's best to process to oil I guess
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2017
karlxavier:
Wow. Thanks for that insight sir. Am grateful. However, I guess you would process your palm fruits in the future or have you set up processing plant cos I guess it's best to process to oil I guess
Yes to your question. I have a small processing plant. Basically a digester and presser. They are both locally fabricated.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Hallams(m): 6:54pm On Jun 10, 2017
Nice job op That is what I tell people you don't need huge capital to start farming start small and expand with time. How much did it cost you to set up the processing facilities?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by karlxavier(m): 7:18pm On Jun 10, 2017
Another thing basically is this sir, what was your average cost of setting up your farm on an acre for instance?
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
karlxavier:
Another thing basically is this sir, what was your average cost of setting up your farm on an acre for instance?
It's difficult to come up with a figure. Remember this is a progressive process. My advice is to go as slow and deliberate as you can even if you have lots of cash.
For an acre, buy, plant and weed.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Wonder1844(m): 9:59pm On Jun 10, 2017
Thanks. I reside in Delta State
oogalabs2:

Yes it is. Get a lawyer who will charge 10% of land purchase price to do Deed Of Assignment[i][/i] between you and the sellers. That's what i did despite the fact that I am from Ogun State. Always remember that buying land close to settlements- to a city or town, is an invitation to wahala. regardless of where, people like sought after properties, but disdain the deep forest.
You may be able to plant corn or cassava, water melon etc within the rows or in my case and in exchange for weeding the farm, i rent it out to farmers who plant corn and cassava.
The 170N is for a 1 year old nursed tree
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Mistymash: 12:58am On Jun 11, 2017
Sir, thank you for this thread!
I want to ask,do NIFOR tag the different specie of oil palm been sold or they muddle everythn together? I learnt some palm fruits when milled produce oil that is red,some species are nt as red as others or some settle(congeal)early and are thicker than others? How do we get the best? I want to grow from nursery.
Also,i don't knw if you've cme across anyone in Nigeria growing/selling the Supergene oil palm?
Thnk you
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 2:37am On Jun 11, 2017
Mistymash:
Sir, thank you for this thread!
I want to ask,do NIFOR tag the different specie of oil palm been sold or they muddle everythn together? I learnt some palm fruits when milled produce oil that is red,some species are nt as red as others or some settle(congeal)early and are thicker than others? How do we get the best? I want to grow from nursery.
Also,i don't knw if you've cme across anyone in Nigeria growing/selling the Supergene oil palm?
Thnk you
I may have been fortunate that what I bought from NIFOR has been good. However I noticed that some of the palm trees produced a different looking fruits different from majority of the other trees.
To answer your question, at the time I began planting, I did not bother to ask about the different species NIFOR had. What I relied upon was that, the fed government set NIFOR up to produce an improved yield. That was ok for me. I wanted the 3 yr fruiting and high yield.
I have not noticed the differences in the produced oil maybe because we harvest and produced them together.
And we produce good grade oil, because the oil is very well cooked.
I do not know about the supergene oil palm. I guess I have a lot to learn still
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Beava: 12:20pm On Jun 11, 2017
Is d supergene same as Tenera?

oogalabs2:

I may have been fortunate that what I bought from NIFOR has been good. However I noticed that some of the palm trees produced a different looking fruits different from majority of the other trees.
To answer your question, at the time I began planting, I did not bother to ask about the different species NIFOR had. What I relied upon was that, the fed government set NIFOR up to produce an improved yield. That was ok for me. I wanted the 3 yr fruiting and high yield.
I have not noticed the differences in the produced oil maybe because we harvest and produced them together.
And we produce good grade oil, because the oil is very well cooked.
I do not know about the supergene oil palm. I guess I have a lot to learn still
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Beava: 12:23pm On Jun 11, 2017
How much do u sell oil

Beava:
Is d supergene same as Tenera?

Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 2:00pm On Jun 11, 2017
Beava:
How much do u sell oil

I am not selling at the moment, but it looks like the price for the yellow 25L keg is N10,500
I'll selll in Aug/Sept. this is for logistical and price reasons
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by Mistymash: 11:21pm On Jun 11, 2017
I appreciate your reply sir,thank you.
Re: Palm Oil- Small Scale Planters. You Can Start Today! I Can Help by oogalabs2: 12:34am On Jun 12, 2017
Mistymash:
I appreciate your reply sir,thank you.
It's my pleasure.
Spread the word. Palm oil can make Nigeria a rich nation.
Let's plant 1 million trees.
We have the land and we have the rain.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Benin Republic Ministers Meet Nigerian Rice Farmers / I Need Your Opinion On My Packaged Garri & Rice(photos) / 7 Things You Need To Know About NIRSAL’s Groundbreaking Transportation System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.