Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership (1017 Views)

Nigerian Youth Kneels As Senator Akpabio Inspects His Campaign Shirt / Nigerians Storm The Nigerian Embassy In UK, Protest Deplorable State (Video) / Ibe Kachikwu Shakes Baru At The Nigerian Economic Summit, Earlier Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by safarigirl(f): 11:03am On Jun 09, 2017
So, this is one of very few posts I have created on this section and the purpose is to address a very disturbing situation I'm Nigeria as regards the youth of today.

Lots of us are familiar with the day on that YOUTHS ARE THE LEADERS OF TOMORROW, it's quite a popular saying which has been employed whenever the question of Nigeria's lack of proper leadership arises. And while it gives hope, I want to ask a vital question:

ARE THE YOUTHS EVER GOING TO BE READY FOR TOMORROW'S LEADERSHIP?

While it is encouraged to call for a chance in leadership to people with vision, energy and passion for the nation, do we habe any of such youth in Nigeria today

Who are the youth that seek leadership? Are they worthy of leadership? What are their ideals? Their ethics? Their beliefs? Their values?

Is it the youths on Twitter who are more interested in the Nigerian Jollof vs Ghana Jollof war than the state of the nation? Is it the youths on Instagram who are so consumed with the need to 'slay' than the need to better the lot of the nation? Is it those on Facebook who can't even coin sentences even less address world powers? Or is it those on NL whose only purpose for visiting the site is to check if a crime was committed by 'afonja' or 'Igbo' that will bring the needed unity in this country?

What of the youths you see everyday on the streets who would rather discuss Real Madrid's UCL win than the sorry state of the NPFL and how to make it better? Those who would rather have heated arguments on Efe and TBoss than the political quagmire we've found ourselves?

What about those you find in the hostels? The ladies are only interested in graduating and finding some wealthy man to wed, but where will you find the wealthy man? When the guys in hostels dey find garri chop and the ones wey no dey find garri are into one shady business or the other.

How will the youths lead tomorrow when they have no regard for values like integrity, honesty, prudence, faithfulness and decency? Is it the youths who celebrate the likes of Hushpuppi that will lead? The youths who have reduced the art of dancing to nothing more than twerking? The youths who equate beauty to being scantily clad and heavily made-up?

Do we take a tour of higher institutions to observe the sort of leaders we are building? Departmental and SUG elections have been reduced to battles between regions, religions and ethnicities. It is not even about merit anymore, it's about place of origin and faith. Fast forward after the elections, and what do you have? Impunity, disregard for due process, blatant looting, abuse of power and the likes, and these are school politicians, these are the people who will eventually become the leaders of that tomorrow.

So, I ask once again, what sort of youths are we building for tomorrow's leadership? We should think on this and make a conscious effort to change for the better. If we must demand our right to lead, we must be prepared to lead

Cc Mynd44, tonyebarcanista, afam4eva

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by respect80(m): 11:08am On Jun 09, 2017
On point
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Jun 09, 2017
Your article is spot on.

The moral and universal decadence in Nigerian is on a whole different level. I laugh whenever i hear people talk about the youths taking over from the older politicians. You just have to look around and see how bad our values have eroded and the youths are most affected.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by UnityBeggar: 11:16am On Jun 09, 2017
Very correct
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by MaziOmenuko: 11:18am On Jun 09, 2017
The youths that is more interested in voting for Big brother show than secure a permanent voters card?

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Mynd44: 11:23am On Jun 09, 2017
The funniest part of this is that the OP thinks all the youths do in twitter fight over is Jollof rice. I guess this is what happens when you want to be petty and write an article that seems good but lacks depth and smacks of generalization.

I dont know those you follow on twitter but to come out to say that is just funny.

Facebook, see those ones are another level of funny

Instagram, it was made for slay people dammit. It is for people to post pictures and show off. How can you criticise people for putting a dog in a dog house?

Nairaland, if that's all you see, please wear glasses if you dont, stop em if you do cos you need to regig something

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Mynd44: 11:27am On Jun 09, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
The youths that is more interested in voting for Big brother show than secure a permanent voters card?
Really? I dont have a voter's card and it ks not due to lack of trying.

I was the one who set up my polling unit when INEC came to register us. The INEC officials did not know how to use the printer and everything and I was the one who set them up. Helped with everything for the whole duration. Heck when theu finished the exercise, the ward leaders of the different parties paid me. Oh, I was second to registered.

When they came to share the cards, the politicians came to call me cos theu felt I was the one that registered everyone anyway but my card was not there. Now, is that my fault if I then decide to vote for my favorite BBN housemate?
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by safarigirl(f): 12:36pm On Jun 09, 2017
Mynd44:
The funniest part of this is that the OP thinks all the youths do in twitter fight over is Jollof rice. I guess this is what happens when you want to be petty and write an article that seems good but lacks depth and smacks of generalization.

I dont know those you follow on twitter but to come out to say that is just funny.

Facebook, see those ones are another level of funny

Instagram, it was made for slay people dammit. It is for people to post pictures and show off. How can you criticise people for putting a dog in a dog house?

Nairaland, if that's all you see, please wear glasses if you dont, stop em if you do cos you need to regig something
I can count on one hand the amount of politically inclined youths on Twitter and none of them is impartial. It is the same politics of divide and conquer that abound in Nigeria

And as for Nairaland, if you don't see the level of division and hate statements that this site is filled with, then it is you who needs glasses. Nairaland politics section especially is a den of all that is wrong with this country

Then again, how will you see it when you are one of those who has suppprted this division directly or indirectly? Those who are guilty of certain actions never see anything wrong in their actions.

For the past five years this site has been on a downward spiral and Seun and every mod that has sat by while it went down or participated in pulling it down sees nothing wrong in the division that has permeated this place. And you people are part of the youths that want to change Nigeria, how?

Anyone who joined NL between 2005-2011 can attest to the negative change here and maybe it's mostly because those in charge have forgotten about values and ethics.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by MaziOmenuko: 2:48pm On Jun 09, 2017
Mynd44:

Really? I dont have a voter's card and it ks not due to lack of trying.

When they came to share the cards, the politicians came to call me cos theu felt I was the one that registered everyone anyway but my card was not there. Now, is that my fault if I then decide to vote for my favorite BBN housemate?

The kind of youth safarigirl is asking for will follow it up, down to the iNEC office, sort it out and make sure he gets his card. A lot of others will give up, proclaim that its not their fault and cling on to their phone to catch up with events in the big brother house.

Her point, which I understand very well, is that a lot of the youths of today don't have a value system which they will hold on to. Its not entirely their fault, its the society as hunger is prevalent.

12 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by TechPanda(m): 2:52pm On Jun 09, 2017
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Jun 09, 2017
Mynd44, don't tell me you hid safarigirl's comment because i don't see anything she said that is at variance with Nairaland rules.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Mynd44: 3:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
safarigirl:
I can count on one hand the amount of politically inclined youths on Twitter and none of them is impartial. It is the same politics of divide and conquer that abound in Nigeria

And as for Nairaland, if you don't see the level of division and hate statements that this site is filled with, then it is you who needs glasses. Nairaland politics section especially is a den of all that is wrong with this country

Then again, how will you see it when you are one of those who has suppprted this division directly or indirectly? Those who are guilty of certain actions never see anything wrong in their actions.

For the past five years this site has been on a downward spiral and Seun and every mod that has sat by while it went down or participated in pulling it down sees nothing wrong in the division that has permeated this place. And you people are part of the youths that want to change Nigeria, how?

Anyone who joined NL between 2005-2011 can attest to the negative change here and maybe it's mostly because those in charge have forgotten about values and ethics.

When did being politically inclined to a party mean you cannot be objective? You missed the who point by a freaking mile.

So because someone is a member of a pooitical party, it means the person cannot be a leader? How can someone who is not politically inclined able to get involved in anything?
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by TechPanda(m): 8:26pm On Jun 09, 2017
Impressive But I'll Just Sit Here And Watch You Ladies Do Your Thing.
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Mordecai(m): 8:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
I'm really falling in love with you, safarigirl.
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by WORLDPEACE(m): 9:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by WORLDPEACE(m): 9:19pm On Jun 10, 2017
safarigirl:

They want their site to pull traffic and rank high so that they can keep their business not just afloat but in the leading position. Apparently, they have come to the conclusion that remembering values and ethics won't help them achieve that.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by WORLDPEACE(m): 9:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
Afam4eva:
Mynd44, don't tell me you hid safarigirl's comment because i don't see anything she said that is at variance with Nairaland rules.
I already quoted the part he hid. Let's see if he will do the same thing to mine.
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by deedeedeee2: 9:53pm On Jun 10, 2017
Cc myn44, were you the one that banned my first handle Deedeedee1? If you are the one, please unban me fast fast!
Dont waste time
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by Babacele: 12:44am On Aug 17, 2017
what about the man in the mirror?
Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by motherfucker: 1:18am On Aug 17, 2017
safarigirl:

You have never disappointed. I pity them...if war happens, they think it will be like riot... They think war is same thing as riot. By the time they lost EVERYTHING they ever worked for, they will regret ever being born.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Youth And Tomorrow's Leadership by enomakos(m): 10:01am On Sep 19, 2017
True talk

(1) (Reply)

Slain Hero, Sergeant Iboko: Now More Than N5m Raised In Less Than 24hrs / List Of Northern Leaders That Attended Osinbajo's Meeting Yesterday / Isiaka Adeleke Musn't Die In Vain - Senator Omisore Tells PDP Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.