Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,697 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) (49883 Views)

Top 10 Most Iconic University Senate Buildings In Africa (photos) / 7 Universities That Offer Criminology In Nigeria And Everything You Need To Know / Top 7 Most Beautiful Campuses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by kaykith05(m): 10:59am On Jun 10, 2017
Abeg let me cry for my/our country 9ja. Wawuuuuuu waawuuuuuuu. Abeg who dey talk of U.I? U.I ko, U.N ni.

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Gerrard59(m): 11:04am On Jun 10, 2017
Chuksgeo:
I thought foreign nationals of mainly African origin are avoiding SA universities due to xenophobic prevalence in that country, how come they are still maintain many top spots?

That will be ignorant and sentimental of them. Mine is why Nigerian students prefer the UK with its high price (naira and pounds) yet when there they do not necessarily go to the best. Better University of Capetown than Coventry University.

1 Rand to Naira = 25 naira
1 Pound to Naira = 413 naira.

1 Like

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by geekybabe(f): 11:20am On Jun 10, 2017
TheVictorious:

A Nigerian university is in top 20. Yes! UI is the 13th African varsity in THE 2016/17. Follow link: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-africa
You pple keep celebrating rubbish. Lol. A step out of your country and you will understand the depth of your myopia and ignorance. Instead of you to make demand for quality education from your govt u r celebrating old glory.

Sincerely you just gotta give it to South african government. They invest heavily in education and its paying off. They produce quality research thats gaining world attention because they invest and value education.

Funny enough many nigerians are contributing largely to the research outputs in this schools.

Infact I'll say at least 40% of the research outputs in this SA schools are done by foreigners (nigeria, zimbabwe, congo and kenyans being the major players)

2 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by geekybabe(f): 11:22am On Jun 10, 2017
Chuksgeo:
I thought foreign nationals of mainly African origin are avoiding SA universities due to xenophobic prevalence in that country, how come they are still maintain many top spots?

Lols. If only you knew the massive inflow of nigerians..kenyans..Zimbabweans and others that come into SA annualy for study. I am talking thousands.

The university settings are relatively free from all this violence and xenophobia.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Jaqenhghar: 11:36am On Jun 10, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

True was shocked to See Egyptian Universities on the list. No single Nigerian University
Wasnt surprised. The Egyptians are something else. Their education systems are very good
Nigeria untill we get it right we will NEVER smell anythong.
If you look at our lifestyles there is no way we can progress. The lecturers are not professional. Their own is to come, regurgitate whatever they learnt years ago, set exams, amd award points. How many actually perticipate in researches, or write anythong meaningful.
Tjey are more interested in how much they can make.
This attitude suts acros every sector. Education, health, defence..... everywhere
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Rhoteabarca(m): 11:40am On Jun 10, 2017
Shame on Nigeria. Where are these current top African Universities(Esp southy nd Egypt) when UI made it to d top 100 varsities in d world. Probably d only African varsity to av gone dat far. All is now history. Story story.
UI only boast of local champion now. Our govt shud cover dere face.
We now eye foreign varsities as if we can't make our own even beta dan many of dem.
Nigeria has sold her future which is Education.
#BigShameOnNigeria
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by DaBillionnaire: 11:40am On Jun 10, 2017
i thought i saw OAU (oba Awon Unifasiti) in that list grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by TheVictorious(m): 11:50am On Jun 10, 2017
geekybabe:

You pple keep celebrating rubbish. Lol. A step out of your country and you will understand the depth of your myopia and ignorance. Instead of you to make demand for quality education from your govt u r celebrating old glory.

Sincerely you just gotta give it to South african government. They invest heavily in education and its paying off. They produce quality research thats gaining world attention because they invest and value education.

Funny enough many nigerians are contributing largely to the research outputs in this schools.

Infact I'll say at least 40% of the research outputs in this SA schools are done by foreigners (nigeria, zimbabwe, congo and kenyans being the major players)

Cool down babe, I'm not celebrating rubbish> I know that Nigerian universities are not doing well and I also know how far almost all Nigerian varsities are from a few good performing universities which we don't recognize because of this generalization.

UI, can improve, I've said that before and continually advocated for the same. Mind you, I pointed out how that UI dropped in THE last year from 600th band to 800th band, while others were simply celebrating their being ranked among the top 1000 by THE on this forum. Also, I published an article to buttress the fact that they have dropped in performance over time, using CU as comparison.

But what I hate and think we should refrain from is publishing false or incomplete information. Yes no Nigerian varsity is among the 1st seven in Africa but UI is 13th, why stopping at 7, which body ranked it (this is not QS as OP claimed nor times), also which year was this released, cos UI was 8th in the previous edition before they slipped in the most recent THE ranking. Let's get our facts clear. That is just my concern.

3 Likes

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by EniHolar(f): 11:59am On Jun 10, 2017
EternalTruth:
thanks my dear sister.
That school is just being overhyped.
A school with an inactive management and slow academic calendar with strikes more than thunder storm.

grin
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by lonelydora: 12:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
Where is Makerere University, Uganda?
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by omaigala12(m): 12:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
More like best universities in South Africa
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by appswift: 12:12pm On Jun 10, 2017
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Haben1: 12:27pm On Jun 10, 2017
Our politician will use our money to develop other country University ( like that ex-NNPC whatever) NO 1 university, rubbish people, common Federal school is still using 1980 spectrometer, Yet, infact am just tired, let just find a way to k*** all of em
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Haben1: 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
But what I hate and think we should refrain from is publishing false or incomplete information. Yes no Nigerian varsity is among the 1st seven in Africa but UI is 13th, why stopping at 7, which body ranked it (this is not QS as OP claimed nor times), also which year was this released, cos UI was 8th in the previous edition before they slipped in the most recent THE ranking. Let's get our facts clear. That is just my concern. [/quote]

Bro, but you dey Nigeria ooO, everything is either static or moving backward, University graduate suffer a lot in Nigeria, talkless of secondary school cert, all this people don't Love us, they know what to do, but they won't just do it.

1 Like

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by daniecrown06(m): 12:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
doublewisdom:
Abraka no join?
You well at all?,them dey talk say UI nor dey you dey call Abraka
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 10, 2017
ednut1:
Yet some pple would engage in public private uni beef. When both are crap anyways
And some will even go as far to say that my National Open University of Nigeria is a secondary school when their so called conventional university won't even make the top 50 in Africa.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by gevans(m): 1:23pm On Jun 10, 2017
emmasege:
I'm not being pessimistic, but truth be told that the current rating of Nigerian universities can only get worse. Not until we stop playing politics with everything in Nigeria will we be able to parade world class universities.

In South Africa for instance, there are flagship universities (e.g. Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Pretoria ) which the nation parades when it comes to global ratings. However, not all their universities are better than our best universities. How many of us know that while the UK is a hotspot for university education and the nation parades many world class universities, there are still some universities over there which by global rating are lower than our first generation universities? What stops Nigeria from picking the five first generation universities for instance as our flagship and massively fund them so that our nation can also be an hotspot for university education in Africa? But if that would ever happen, it would be politicized with geo-political zoning by the 'owners of Nigeria' since the very best universities in Nigeria are all in the south save the Ahmadu Bello University.

Like someone opined above, i can only hope that Covenant University keeps up their current standard and pace so that one Nigerian university makes one of the best three in a distant future.

yes u had said it all, sentiment will not allow us. I remember wen the past administration wanted to built a world class university in each of the six geopolitical zones.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by NovusHomo(m): 1:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
Benitogucci:
Where's U.I?

U.I. ko, U Low ni.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by marv1: 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
emmasege:
I'm not being pessimistic, but truth be told that the current rating of Nigerian universities can only get worse. Not until we stop playing politics with everything in Nigeria will we be able to parade world class universities.

In South Africa for instance, there are flagship universities (e.g. Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Pretoria ) which the nation parades when it comes to global ratings. However, not all their universities are better than our best universities. How many of us know that while the UK is a hotspot for university education and the nation parades many world class universities, there are still some universities over there which by global rating are lower than our first generation universities? What stops Nigeria from picking the five first generation universities for instance as our flagship and massively fund them so that our nation can also be an hotspot for university education in Africa? But if that would ever happen, it would be politicized with geo-political zoning by the 'owners of Nigeria' since the very best universities in Nigeria are all in the south save the Ahmadu Bello University.

Like someone opined above, i can only hope that Covenant University keeps up their current standard and pace so that one Nigerian university makes one of the best three in a distant future.
. That rating can not be totally correct. Are they saying that with all the publications , various academic projects and programs done by CU which have even been recognized by independent organizations based in the USA , they are all nothing?. I have been to Pretoria university and I know what I saw there compared to what I saw in CU. How is it possible to rate high like three universities in South Africa at this same time. That rating can not be totally correct. I am very sure.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by bewla(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
Benitogucci:
Where's U.I?
Ibadan n Oyo state
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by marv1: 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2017
gevans:

yes u had said it all, sentiment will not allow us. I remember wen the past administration wanted to built a world class university in each of the six geopolitical zones.
. Building a world class university is not the problem. But the graduates from such schools will be employed where? More over it is not the business of government to build world class universities because corruption will not allow it to survive. Federal universities and federal health ministries for example collect allocations but the Vice Chancellors and federal medical directors will never use them for that purpose, but divert the funds. In FUTA,for instance the VC sacked the university secodary school staff and asking them to begin to reapply for same job they had been for over decades. The VC didn't stop there he started running commercial and business courses in the university for three years now
, He had even proposed school of medicine in FUTA towards the end of Mimiko tenure before FG came out strongly against such schools running programs that are not in accordance with the the establishment of such schools two months ago. Imagine what happened in Federal university of agriculture in Abeokuta where the VC turned himself into a demi god., another example is what happenedin FMC ekiti two years ago and the recent one that happened in FMC Enugu or abia . So in our university system we have a lot of irregularities. lf not for the single Treasury account system that FG has introduced Nigeria would have been worst than Somalia by now. In Nigeria today we have more three hundred universities both government and private.which can be upgraded if we have honest , committed and patriotic people at different levels. However , we still have one or two universities in Nigeria we can refer to as world class.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Kingosytex(m): 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2017
where is UNN?
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by proffemi: 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2017
Gerrard59:
That will ignorant and sentimental of them. Mine is why Nigerian students prefer the UK with its high price (naira and pounds) yet when there they do not necessarily go to the best. Better University of Capetown than Coventry University.

1 Rand to Naira = 25 naira
1 Pound to Naira = 413 naira.

There can't be a Nigerian university on that list while a five-year engineering B.Sc. costs $500, the same as a cheap laptop.
Just saying...

1 Like

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by gforce5: 2:59pm On Jun 10, 2017
It amazes me how ignorant Nigerians are. Why are you lot shocked that Egypt have some of the best universities in Africa? They have been competing with South Africa in regards to having the best education system in Africa for years. It's not a new phenonemom. They even have some of the best universities in the Arab world. As for those of you comparing the bottom universities in the UK to the best in Africa, that should tell you how big the education system is in the UK. An employer, in most cases, will prefer a university degree from any British, American or Canadian than the top universities in Africa. It is what it is.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by WIZDOM081(m): 3:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
Giant of Africa
Where Unibuja
Unilorin
OAU
UI

And someone said I should not change my Nationality
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by Stanzingerzy(m): 5:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
I no come see, FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF FULANI CATTLE REARING AND GRAZING IN SOUTHERN KADUNA. I no see for the list why?
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by davidif: 5:33pm On Jun 10, 2017
rozayx5:
cheesy cheesy

when my friend from witswatersrand visited a university here, he thought it was a farm

South Africa is the real developed african country, Naija na just noise

No standard Town, no Standard University, Everything just mediocre

even the so called VGC is a swamp
grin grin

Naija sha, i don tire

Chei!!!! grin grin grin
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by davidif: 5:34pm On Jun 10, 2017
Jaqenhghar:
The South Africans y'all spend time insulting are the ones topping the charts
hehehe

No mind den o. They will be insulting other African countries that are better than them.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by davidif: 5:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
EternalTruth:
and later one useless afonja will stand up and shout UI as the first and the best.
First and the best my ass

As if there is a university in your own region on the list.
Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by davidif: 5:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
magoo10:
Even with all the noise that Nigeria is the giant of Africa, still nothing to show after several years ? and you tell me this country does not deserve to break .
Biafra will bring the light to Africa ,Nigeria and its leaders from inception have failed woefully and not worthy of emulation to other African countries.
Let's join hands to usher in the Land of the Rising Sun

Tell me please, what universities from your region are on this list? Last time i checked i didnt see anyone of them.

Secondly, Nigeria once had good leaders and a good foundation to build on but Major Nzeogwu destroyed all of that and led Nigeria down its current predicament. It's safe to say that the likes of Buhari, IBB and Abacha would have never left the military barracks had Tafawa Balewa, Zik and co had remained in charge and it's safe to say that we won't have has a brutal civil war that we are still trying to grapple with today.

1 Like

Re: List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) by davidif: 5:51pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheVictorious:

Nigerians sef. What has this got to do with Biafra and how many Igbo universities are performing well at the moment

Mind you, I'm igbo.

No mind den o. It's Its so pathetic how Seun all in the name of profit will lol the other way while people use his website to promote hatred, strife and division.

Talk about negligence of the highest order.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Muslim Questions In A Christian Religious Exam In Akwa Ibom Junior WAEC / Nigerian Students In UK, Others Risk Deportation / 2011/2012 Nov/dec Nabteb Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.