Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,958 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts (9419 Views)

Factory Workers Needed Urgently At Sanden Intercool (Nigeria) Limited / Factory Workers Needed In Oworoshoki, Lagos. / Factory Workers Needed. Accommodation Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Ademat7(m): 7:04pm On Jun 10, 2017
I watched a documentary about slavery in cocoa industry where underage kids 7-12 are trafficked to ivorycoast from Mali,Niger, BurkinaFaso, Nigeria
This people work so hard yet paid peanut and sometimes nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNpwIzeyjKQ

Relating it back to my state 'Ogun' which is currently attracting FDI most in Nigeria yet buck of d jobs are 'casual workers' who work day or night in shift yet some 'Demonic job agent's keep slashing their pay from probably 35-40,000 to #20,000 or #22,000 without considering the hazard that comes with the work.

Can we say slave trade has ended?

cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Jostico: 7:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
cry Bro I work in same state here in ogun state, 1 China company Like that. they pay us according to what we work. at times #500 a day and they pay every 2 weeks. all my hands and fingers are worn out. I just wished I could get a job in laskidi that pays 25k monthly I don't mind sleeping over. China done finish my finger nails.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by serverconnect(m): 7:24pm On Jun 10, 2017
That is naija for you. Using people as cheap labor. 'Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop'

1 Like

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Shakitibob0: 8:05pm On Jun 10, 2017
Jostico:
cry Bro I work in same state here in ogun state, 1 China company Like that. they pay us according to what we work. at times #500 a day and they pay every 2 weeks. all my hands and fingers are worn out. I just wished I could get a job in laskidi that pays 25k monthly I don't mind sleeping over. China done finish my finger nails.
lobatan...
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Ademat7(m): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2017
Jostico:
What skill do u hv?
Do u have educational qualification?
Choose ur age range: 20-25=A,26-30=B,31-35=C

1 Like

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Izonpikin: 8:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
Our labor system is crazy in nigeria ...reason why many opt doing same jobs abroad where minimum wage applies..
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Jostico: 8:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
Ademat7:
What skill do u hv? Do u have educational qualification? Choose ur age range: 20-25=A,26-30=B,31-35=C
1: I have few to many skill 2.qualification is waec [secondary school] 3.A
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by WhiteLavender(f): 8:51pm On Jun 10, 2017
I keep thinking about the same thing anytime i pass through sumal factory(yale) in oluyole industrial estate ibadan. Its not easy and yet you see them in their hundreds working and suffering for peanuts. These are the people who do the actual work and i dont see any reason why they shouldn't be paid well.
God dey.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Olucool1988(m): 10:07pm On Jun 10, 2017
WhiteLavender:
I keep thinking about the same thing anytime i pass through sumal factory(yale) in oluyole industrial estate ibadan. Its not easy and yet you see them in their hundreds working and suffering for peanuts. These are the people who do the actual work and i dont see any reason why they shouldn't be paid well.
God dey.

Uhmm Yale indeed, av once worked there as a staff ....my people that place na dey easy at all....we work 6am-6pm and vice versa
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by WhiteLavender(f): 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2017
Olucool1988:

Uhmm Yale indeed, av once worked there as a staff ....my people that place na dey easy at all....we work 6am-6pm and vice versa
yes, you're right. The time schedule is even written on the wall. The working hours are absurd compared to the pay. I dont even believe they'll have any idle time during the whole 12hours. God help us.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2017
I have worked as Sales boy in idumota ... where am being paid 20k ..... breakdown of the 20k

I will leave home by 7am and close by 6pm ..
Transport 200 going 250 while coming back..
I will eat morning food Bread and beans 150 and In the afternoon fufu a plate 300..

sometimes I just sit and be thinking when will I make this kind of money that's in head?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Olucool1988(m): 10:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
WhiteLavender:

yes, you're right. The time schedule is even written on the wall. The working hours are absurd compared to the pay. I dont even believe they'll have any idle time during the whole 12hours. God help us.

Idle time my foot....every second na work, u are entitled to just an hour break out of d 12 hrs and wen u come back from break no dull am work plenty for u to do.

I was a machine operator den, tho learnt alot but d workload is too much and dey pay u token
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by JamesonJay(m): 10:52pm On Jun 10, 2017
This Chinese, Indian n Lebanese companies are enslaving Nigerians .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by alukstea(m): 3:24am On Jun 11, 2017
It is well.
That song this days doesnt even come with a good rhythm ,
what else when Nigerians are slaves/ Second citizens in their own country.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Kondomatic(m): 6:27am On Jun 11, 2017
WhiteLavender:
God dey.
It's the same every sector. Employees do the job, bosses take the pay.

I once worked under a Lebanese. I was collecting N3k daily, the other guy collected N4k daily, the Lebanese was collecting 500k monthly and weekly 25k allowance.

Who did the entire work? I and my friend. The man came to site every Saturday to pay us. I think that's what he's being paid to do because he didn't even inspect, that's if he knows the work.

The map he even gave us was rejected because it was filled with errors. We had to draw our own map and start work from scratch.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Ademat7(m): 6:42am On Jun 11, 2017
Kondomatic:

I once worked under a Lebanese. I was collecting N3k daily, the other guy collected N4k daily, the Lebanese was collecting 500k monthly and weekly 25k allowance.

Who did the entire work? I and my friend. The man came to site every Saturday to pay us. I think that's what he's being paid to do because he didn't even inspect, that's if he knows the work.

The map he even gave us was rejected because it was filled with errors. We had to draw our own map and start work from scratch.

Yes u r right but at least no middleman or agent slash the money u ought to b paid, that cutting is my worry
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Ademat7(m): 6:56am On Jun 11, 2017
Jostico:

1: I have few to many skill
2.qualification is waec [secondary school]
3.A
be specific in terms of skill,what job can u b given and u will do excellently
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Kondomatic(m): 7:02am On Jun 11, 2017
JamesonJay:
This Chinese, Indian n Lebanese companies are enslaving Nigerians .
I almost killed a Lebanese man one day.

He was my Supervisor that time and we were working somewhere along Obasanjo way in wuye.
The house is an 8 "story" building, the initial piping by the first electrician that handled the building was rejected so we had to start from scratch. Mind you that the building had been decked to the last floor so we chiseled everything.

See were trouble started, we were using 8 bags of cement to patch the chiseled walls on each floor. My supervisor was collecting money for 20 bags for each floor.

We bought the cement somewhere near the site at N1600 per bag. He was collecting N2500 for each bag.

The Lebanese Monkey came to site one Saturday morning with five bags of cement that he claimed he bought at N1500 per bag so he asked me to refund N100 for each of the bags that I have bought or he will deduct it from my money.

I told him that I cannot refund what I didn't take. I showed him the shop and asked him to send one of his boys to go and get their price. He ignored me and we continued working as if nothing was gonna happen.

In the evening, I was the last to get paid. He usually find reasons to delay me until it's a bit late because I don't say thank you sir when he pays. So when I finally received my money, I counted it and discovered that he actually deducted the money for the cement.

I dropped my bag, dropped the money on his table(he was watching me from a corner of his eyes) I waited until he turned and said what.

I then looked him eyeballs to eyeballs and said "Sir, if this money is not complete by the time I bring out my hammer from my bag, I swear to God you will be borne out of this building dead and pounded*

Guy, Oyibo dey fear.

He quickly counted some money and added it to what was already on the table and said "OK, OK, take this and do not come back on Monday"

I took my money and went home.

Thunder fire any son of the devil that will enslave me in my own country.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by WhiteLavender(f): 7:16am On Jun 11, 2017
Olucool1988:

Idle time my foot....every second na work, u are entitled to just an hour break out of d 12 hrs and wen u come back from break no dull am work plenty for u to do.

I was a machine operator den, tho learnt alot but d workload is too much and dey pay u token
yeah, i thought as much. 11hours non stop work. Jeez.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by WhiteLavender(f): 7:20am On Jun 11, 2017
Kondomatic:

chai! This one is wickedness na. The worst stories of slave labour in Nigeria are always from Lebanese and Indians. How can people be so mean?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Kondomatic(m): 7:26am On Jun 11, 2017
WhiteLavender:

chai! This one is wickedness na. The worst stories of slave labour in Nigeria are always from Lebanese and Indians. How can people be so mean?
I don't know, and Nigerians prefer to contract them instead of fellow Nigerians.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by WhiteLavender(f): 7:30am On Jun 11, 2017
Kondomatic:
I almost killed a Lebanese man one day.

He has my Supervisor that time and we were working somewhere along Obasanjo way in wuye.
The house is an 8 "story" building, the initial piping by the first electrician that handled the building was rejected so we had to start from scratch. Mind you that the building had been decked to the last floor so we chiseled everything.

See were trouble started, we were using 8 bags of cement to patch the chiseled walls on each floor. My supervisor was collecting money for 20 bags for each floor.

We bought the cement somewhere near the site at N1600 per bag. He was collecting N2500 for each bag.

The Lebanese Monkey came to site one Saturday morning with five bags of cement that he claimed he bought at N1500 per bag so he asked me to refund N100 for each of the bags that I have bought or he will deduct it from my money.

I told him that I cannot refund what I didn't take. I showed him the shop and asked him to send one of his boys to go and get their price. He ignored me and we continued working as if nothing was gonna happen.

In the evening, I was the last to get paid. He usually find reasons to delay me until it's a bit late because I don't say thank you sir when he pays. So when I finally received my money, I counted it and discovered that he actually deducted the money for the cement.

I dropped my bag, dropped the money on his table(he was watching me from a corner of his eyes) I waited until he turned and said what.

I then looked him eyeballs to eyeballs and said "Sir, if this money is not complete by the time I bring out my hammer from my bag, I swear to God you will be borne out of this building dead and pounded*

Guy, Oyibo dey fear.

He quickly counted some money and added it to what was already on the table and said "OK, OK, take this and do not come back on Monday"

I took my money and went home.

Thunder fire any son of the devil that will enslave me in my own country.
wow! Permit me to laugh a little. What you did was brave but tell me one thing, what would you have done if he refused to pay still? Hope you know that violence wouldn't help?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by HoleDriller(m): 7:41am On Jun 11, 2017
Ademat7:
What skill do u hv? Do u have educational qualification? Choose ur age range: 20-25=A,26-30=B,31-35=C

I have B.Eng bro
26-30
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Slimmos(m): 8:10am On Jun 11, 2017
Ademat7:

Bro I have a degree in public administration. 23-25. I can handle video camera well, I have over 6years experience in this. I can also edit videos.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Kondomatic(m): 8:16am On Jun 11, 2017
WhiteLavender:

wow! Permit me to laugh a little. What you did was brave but tell me one thing, what would you have done if he refused to pay still? Hope you know that violence wouldn't help?
By God I would have attacked him; maybe not with a hammer but my palms were stiff as a board after over a month of constant chiseling of beams, pillars and cemented walls. It was just two of us on the seventh floor.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by EFGH: 8:50am On Jun 11, 2017
Also had similar experience. May God help us all.
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 11, 2017
Factory work is modern day slavery. Those guys does most of the job and get exposed to the highest level of risk only to be compensated with 30-40k at the end of the month.

The argument is always that their jobs don't require high level of thinking and their activities can be automated with advancement in tech. Meanwhile they forget without production, there can't be sales, marketing and other functions.

There are companies that have good intentions and would love to pay well but when they look at the industry average​ pay and what the supposed leaders in that industry pay, they just have to conform.

I suggest NLC and other labour body should critically look into welfare of factory workers.

Factory work kills slowly with lot of chemicals exposure and hazardous machinery.

Most workers don't have health cover, if machine does damages the the workers, only few of them takes responsibility.

Most factories don't conform to best safety practices.

They take most of your time 8am-7pm.

No career path..very pathetic. Maybe after years of meritorious service, one becomes​ Chief operator.

I once worked with a big power company only to discover how much of slavery goes on in the organization. Those elderly men I saw there were always full of remorse each time they see me. I know they don't wish I should come and join them in the slavery league.

Man is Man's own enemy and God will not come down from the heavens.It takes only the intervention of Man to free is fellow Man.

We all know they want to declare profit at the end of the year but we SAY FACTORY WORKERS SHOULD BE PROTECTED AS THEY ARE HUMANS AND THEY DESERVE GOOD LIFE TOO.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by dhope: 10:50am On Jun 11, 2017
All this barbaric acts point to d fact that we all need to acquire skills and update our skills so that we won't fall victim repeatedly. its unfortunate many pple have decided to subject themselves into perpetual slavery by remaining adamant to live in big cities. little savings while in cities can help to start a good farming biz in ur village while u sell to that city. bros, farming don pay these days but pple won't comot cities and settle for their own jobs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by fergie001: 11:59am On Jun 11, 2017
Its same everywhere.I worked in a factory in Lagos,it was same,just fresh after nysc and was desperate to get my hands on sth.....
We work in shifts,morning shift....8am to 6:30pm
Night shift,7pm to 8am,no off-days,alongside the normal burden of targets.
You are entitled to 15mins break during d day and 30mins at nyt
Its all CCTV covered so no hiding place excepting toilet and bathroom(which is worse).
We work on sat and Sundays,Xmas day,salaah,independent day,election days,environmental days,d only permitted days are new year day and easter Sunday,in a whole year.
You come a min late,its half day pay,u are absent,2day pay off....
Salary not up 2 45k.
So many out of this world people, believe me,worse still....its owned by a Nigerian with Indians he placed at the helm of affairs.
The company still exists and I see a lot of people struggling to go in there because of the pathetic situation of the country.
The company is in Lagos and owned by a Pastor in one of the branches of (the country's VP u know) and when it was obvious an HIV patient looked more healthier than I was after about 16months,I left for good.
It is nothing about the Chinese and Indians,the normal Nigerian is wicked to his people.Look at our politicians,a classic example.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by Jostico: 12:12pm On Jun 11, 2017
Ademat7:

Sir I could do any job perfect as time goes on
Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by kabanayol9(m): 12:40pm On Jun 11, 2017
Factory work, apart from them not paying well, they enslave you and you don't have time for ursef or any other thing, I don't pray for that of work for my enemy, just feeding money.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Factory Workers Paid Peanuts by WhiteLavender(f): 1:04pm On Jun 11, 2017
Kondomatic:
By God I would have attacked him; maybe not with a hammer but my palms were stiff as a board after over a month of constant chiseling of beams, pillars and cemented walls. It was just two of us on the seventh floor.
lol. Thank God you didn't attack him, would have been a whole new story.
Hope your hands are not that stiff anymore and as rough as sandpaper? Would be a nightmare shaking them. Lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Can I Do With My Phone And Get Money / Where To Find ADULT EDUCATION LESSON In LAGOS STATE. / Deloitte Nigeria Job Recruitment (8 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.