Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,403 members, 7,843,181 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History (6259 Views)

Ethiopian Woman Sits For Her Exam Just 30 Minutes After Giving Birth (Photo) / Ask Me Question About JAMB Regularization / Ask Me Anything About Studying In Mauritius (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hati13:

I said, ask me anything about Ethiopia history not ask me any irrelevant question/s.
it might not be relevant to u but it is to me
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 11, 2017
ekensi01:
full the name and add the exchange rate to $1
It's the full name.
Currently, $1 is about 23 Birr.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jun 11, 2017
MykOnyxo:

it might not be relevant to u but it is to me
Your question isn't only irrelevant, but also doesn't make sense.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by ekensi01: 8:33pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hati13:

It's the full name.
Currently, $1 is about 23 Birr.
Lol is it only Birr. you guys got? i want u to tell me the major two like us na Naira and kobo.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 11, 2017
ekensi01:
Lol is it only Birr. you guys got? i want u to tell me the major two like us na Naira and kobo.
We only use Birr.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Outofsync(m): 10:53pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hati13:

There are about 80 ethnic groups. The major ones are Amhara(me), Tigray, Agew(me), Oromo, Somalia, Gurage, Afar, Harar and Sidama.

80! That's quite much. Is there any tribalism or marginalization going on

Ethiopians aren't Jews other than Falashas(Ethiopian Jews in Israel, USA and in small areas of northern Ethiopia). Those few that consider themselves are denying their true identity(intentionally or unintentionally). We are Cushite, Omotic and Nilotic.
Good to know. I once got into an argument with a supremacist who claimed all African nations were colonized. I pointed out Ethiopia and he claimed they considered themselves jews and that they hate fellow Africans and some other bullshit. Now that can't fly again

Yes, we've. There were and still are many great Musicians, but they weren't/aren't exposed that to the world like others. But there exposure now is growing. For example, our great singer named "Teddy Afro" new album "Ethiopia" had sold 600,000 CD in just the first week of release worldwide. His album even ranked 1st in the Billboard world album charts for until May 20, 2017.

Listen his track 1 song named "Ethiopia". You may love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsrL9Rz-A5A
The song is quite nice. Had a good beat to it and even though I can't understand the language, it seems quite similar to the Hausa/Fulani language. Was there any mingling in the past

Where those writings Ethiopian?? They seem a tad similar to Arabian languages though. What is the Official Lingua franca of Ethiopia??

Also do you have any media industry like Nollywood, Ghallywood and the rest

Western influences is less compared to other African countries. Most of Ethiopians are poor and live in rural areas, so western influences are less there. The few urban areas have relatively strong western influences.

Pardon if this sounds offensive but may I ask WHY Ethiopians are poor

Also what are the major religions in Ethiopia currently? How has ATR fared over there??

You are incorrect. Ethiopia has a strong influence in Africa and world compared to almost all African nations. It's place to African Union and United Nations Economic commission for Africa. Our military is the 3rd strongest in Africa with only $350 million annual budget and have the most peacekeeping UN forces in Africa. We usually represent Africa during major international forums and meetings.

Incorrect again Bro. How can we be relatively unknown when we are place to African Union and United Nations economic commission for Africa. Pan-Africanism, Ethiopianism ideas were born in Ethiopia. We are the only African nation to resist colonialism. Some African countries use green/yellow/red flags because of Ethiopian flag. We are in the top 3 African influential country in the continent and among the few in the world. The list goes on and on, so how can we are relatively unknown country compared to other African countries.
I stand corrected

However what I meant was Ethiopians don't err... should I say, flaunt?? their culture like other African tribes.

Media attention on Ethiopia is usually very low too which is a good thing normally but means Ethiopia is...... for lack of a better word, mediocre.

Why
You guys are one of the most stable and oldest tribes in this continent. Why are you not leading

On another note, Can you give me a list of Ethiopian intellectuals and their works??
Sadly, here we know of no Ethiopian intellectual.

Also, heard you guys had an empire? How big was it and what caused it's downfall

last but certainly not least, what is the currently political situation in Ethiopia??
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Outofsync(m): 10:57pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hati13:
I searched the meaning of "yarnsh" and it means having sex.
Back to your question. I don't know. Ask them.
Lol.
Yansh means Ass. Like fleshy buttocks, Nicky Minaj style
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 11, 2017
Outofsync:

Lol.

Yansh means Ass. Like fleshy buttocks, Nicky Minaj style
lol
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 12, 2017
Outofsync:
80! That's quite much. Is there any tribalism or marginalization going on
Yes, there is ethnic tensions. There was heavy marginalization before 1991 by Amharas and Tigrays elites(especially by Amharas) against others, especially against Agews/Agaws. But now it's relatively less.

Outofsync:
Good to know. I once got into an argument with a supremacist who claimed all African nations were colonized. I pointed out Ethiopia and he claimed they considered themselves jews and that they hate fellow Africans and some other bullshit. Now that can't fly again
He isn't telling the truth. There are some who hate other Africans and don't consider themselves black, but most of us love our fellow Africans and consider ourselves as Africans.

Outofsync:
The song is quite nice. Had a good beat to it and even though I can't understand the language, it seems quite similar to the Hausa/Fulani language. Was there any mingling in the past
I don't know, but Amharegn/Amharic is mostly mix of Geez(Semitic) and Agew languages(Cushitic) and less from other Cushitic, Omotic and Nilo-Sharan family languages.

Outofsync:
Where those writings Ethiopian?? They seem a tad similar to Arabian languages though. What is the Official Lingua franca of Ethiopia??
Yes, they are. We have our own writing system called Geez Fidel(alphabet). Amharic is the official language of the federal government and de facto of Ethiopia.

Outofsync:
Also do you have any media industry like Nollywood, Ghallywood and the rest
We've few, but they are not in any way comparable with Nollywood and Ghallywood. Most of the quality of our movies is mess.

Outofsync:
Pardon if this sounds offensive but may I ask WHY Ethiopians are poor
The main reason for our current poor state is Emperor Haile Selassie government policies before 1974 and the civil war between 1975-1991. During Haile Selassie reign, most of the government treasures were used for Haile Selassie and his families and supporters luxury lifestyle. But there were also some major developments. During Derg military government reign, most of the treasures were used to buy weapons because of the civil war. Ethiopia was actually the strongest military power in Africa back then. When Derg was deposed in 1991, there was almost no foreign currencies and Gold in our treasury. Now our economy growth is the fastest in Africa and one of the fastest in the world and our future is looking prosperous for us.

Outofsync:
Also what are the major religions in Ethiopia currently? How has ATR fared over there??
The major religions are Ethiopia Orthodox Christianity, Islam and Protestantism. I don't understand by what you mean "ATR".

Outofsync:
I stand corrected

However what I meant was Ethiopians don't err... should I say, flaunt?? their culture like other African tribes.

Media attention on Ethiopia is usually very low too which is a good thing normally but means Ethiopia is...... for lack of a better word, mediocre.

Why
Now I understand by what you mean. I don't know men. I also sometimes wonder. Mostly we live in our own world. We should more advertise our culture to the outside world, especially to our fellow Africans. But our tourism is growing and there is no reason for us to be the leading tourist destination not only in Africa, but also in the world. We've 9 UNESCO heritage sites, which is the largest in Africa.

Outofsync:
You guys are one of the most stable and oldest tribes in this continent. Why are you not leading
Good question. I think it's poverty which restricted us from leading like we had done in the past.

Outofsync:
On another note, Can you give me a list of Ethiopian intellectuals and their works??
Sadly, here we know of no Ethiopian intellectual.
Check this:-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ethiopians

Outofsync:
Also, heard you guys had an empire? How big was it and what caused it's downfall
At the peak of Axum/Aksum, our empire covered as far as Sudan and Yemen with it base in Eritrea and northern Ethiopia. Axum decided because of the rise of Islam and loss of income in the Red Sea trade eternally and internal unrest. It was a gradual decline which started at the beginning of the 8th century till 1150 A.D. Axum was then succeeded by Zagwe and Abyssinia. The original territory of Abyssinian was present day Amhara and Tigray regions(northern and central Ethiopia), but Menelik II expanded it to SW, S and SE to create modern day Ethiopia in the 19th century.

Outofsync:
last but certainly not least, what is the currently political situation in Ethiopia??
There was unrest in Amhara and Oromia regions. A state of emergency was declared last year and the unrest has decreased. The TPLFs(Tigray people liberation front) is currently dominating the government(EPRDF). The Tigray consists only 6% of Ethiopia population. The largest are Oromos(35%) and Amharas(27%).
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by ekensi01: 8:04pm On Jun 12, 2017
Hati13:

We only use Birr.
Ethiopian is a scam. By the way which country colonize them? How many international airport do ethiopia have? how many states and who is the president?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jun 12, 2017
ekensi01:
Ethiopian is a scam. By the way which country colonize them? How many international airport do ethiopia have? how many states and who is the president?
You sound aggressive in your questions.

- Ethiopia isn't a scam, rather it's you. Hey king scammer. grin
- We was never colonized.
- We have one international airport.
- Ethiopia is divided into 9 ethnic regions and 2 federal regions.
- Our president is Mulatu Teshome. The real leader of the country is the Prime Minister. His name is Hailemariam Desalegn.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by ekensi01: 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2017
Hati13:

You sound aggressive in your questions.

- Ethiopia isn't a scam, rather it's you. Hey king scammer. grin
- We was never colonized.
- We have one international airport.
- Ethiopia is divided into 9 ethnic regions and 2 federal regions.
- Our president is Mulatu Teshome. The real leader of the country is the Prime Minister. His name is Hailemariam Desalegn.
chai Nigeria is just too good. Btw what's the area covered and their rank in coruption?

Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by kingsley9505(m): 9:05pm On Jun 12, 2017
why does Ethiopia use a calendar that is 7 years behind the rest of the world.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 12, 2017
ekensi01:
chai Nigeria is just too good. Btw what's the area covered and their rank in coruption?
The area of Ethiopia is 1,106,000 square kilometers. Which is the 27 largest country in the world.

It terms of corruption, I don't know, but it's very high.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2017
kingsley9505:
why does Ethiopia use a calendar that is 7 years behind the rest of the world.
A 7 to 8 year gap between the Ethiopian and Gregorian calendars is because of an alternate calculation in determining the date of the Annunciation.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 13, 2017
Hati13:
Your question isn't only irrelevant, but also doesn't make sense.
you have vex abi.. o ya sorry no vex...
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 13, 2017
MykOnyxo:

you have vex abi.. o ya sorry no vex...
Useless!
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 13, 2017
Hati13:
Useless!
you just put it on your head like wig.... where is your sense of humour?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:53am On Jun 13, 2017
MykOnyxo:

you just put it on your head like wig.... where is your sense of humour?
It's behind you.

Did your mother hide you under her bed when stupid children were been killed by the government back then? I'm sure she did, because you are the proof of it.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 13, 2017
Hati13:

It's behind you.

Did your mother hide you under her bed when stupid children were been killed by the government back then? I'm sure she did, because you are the proof of it.

lol..........
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 16, 2017
feelgoodInc:

cc; lalasticlala is the code word you use in other to summon the mods that you need your topic on the front page, every Nigerian knows this.
I hope I'm not leaking highly classified information.
lol, no you aren't.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 16, 2017
feelgoodInc:
who is an Ethiopian?
Extra info:-

Like I said, the name Ethiopia was used for all territories south of Ancient Egypt, especially for Nubians. But after Axumitie King Ezana conquered Nubia in the 4th century, the Axumities adopted the name for their own kingdom and it started to only be used for highlanders in Axum kingdom and then to Zagwes and Abyssinians.

It became the official name of Abyssinia after the 1930s.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Emenandez4lyf(m): 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2017
1. What's the name of the oldest maternal cousin brother of the current prime minister (Ethiopia) ?

2. The oldest state-man in the 9 regions ?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 7:24am On Jun 17, 2017
Emenandez4lyf:
1. What's the name of the oldest maternal cousin brother of the current prime minister (Ethiopia) ?

2. The oldest state-man in the 9 regions ?
1. I don't know
2. I don't know for all, but in Oromia region, a man named Dhaqabo Ebba who claim he is 160 years old was found by reporter in late 2005 E.C(2013 G.C). I don't know if he is alive or dead now, but if his claim was right, he would passed the record held for the longest person to ever lived by 38 years at the time of his discovery.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Emenandez4lyf(m): 8:21am On Jun 17, 2017
Hati13:

1. I don't know
2. I don't know for all, but in Oromia region, a man named Dhaqabo Ebba who claim he is 160 years old was found by reporter in late 2005 E.C(2013 G.C). I don't know if he is alive or dead now, but if his claim was right, he would passed the record held for the longest person to ever lived by 38 years at the time of his discovery.
KK
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 17, 2017
Emenandez4lyf:
KK
What?
Anyway, selam! smiley
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by saintkeppy(m): 10:54pm On Aug 14, 2017
Hati13:

lol
. Sorry I want to ask you something out of Ethiopian history, I noticed your country has some set of beautiful fair-skin, natural long-hair, pointed nose women with figure 8 shape, when I saw them in Calabar here in Nigeria. Now my question is, which tribe/region has these set of women or has the most beautiful women in Ethiopia
Thank you
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 5:12am On Aug 15, 2017
saintkeppy:
. Sorry I want to ask you something out of Ethiopian history, I noticed your country has some set of beautiful fair-skin, natural long-hair, pointed nose women with figure 8 shape, when I saw them in Calabar here in Nigeria. Now my question is, which tribe/region has these set of women or has the most beautiful women in Ethiopia
Thank you
Some of the Semitic and Cushitic speaking have those set of women. For me, I believe Amara/Amhara ppl (Semitic speakers) to have the most beautiful women in Ethiopia.

There are also some other ethnicities that have beautiful women like Tigrays, Hararis, Oromos, Gurages, Agews and others, but since it's a subjective question, I will go with Amaras.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by saintkeppy(m): 10:52am On Aug 17, 2017
Hati13:

Some of the Semitic and Cushitic speaking have those set of women. For me, I believe Amara/Amhara ppl (Semitic speakers) to have the most beautiful women in Ethiopia.

There are also some other ethnicities that have beautiful women like Tigrays, Hararis, Oromos, Gurages, Agews and others, but since it's a subjective question, I will go with Amaras.
OK, sorry are they found in Addis Ababa? Because it seems it's the only major city in your country. There are some extremely black women that looks weird with a lots of earings hanging awkwardly on their nose and ears, some of them uses a flat round pan to stretch the lower lip of their mouth and lobes of their ears which tribe does these sets of women belong to?
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
saintkeppy:
OK, sorry are they found in Addis Ababa? Because it seems it's the only major city in your country.
Yes, they are also found in Addis. Majority of the inhabitants of AA are Amharas.

There are other major cities besides AA like Bahir Dar, Awasa, Mekele, Gondar, Dessi, Harari, Nazareth/Adama and others......

saintkeppy:
There are some extremely black women that looks weird with a lots of earings hanging awkwardly on their nose and ears, some of them uses a flat round pan to stretch the lower lip of their mouth and lobes of their ears which tribe does these sets of women belong to?
Those ppl live in the lower valleys of Omo and Awash. I know the Hamar tribe, but don't the names of the other tribes there. The Hamars don't do the lib thing, but their culture is fascinating and surprise to most of us.
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ethiopian History by Outofsync(m): 11:52am On Aug 22, 2019
Hey Haiti13 How's it going on up there.
Heard there was an attempted coup admist reports of ethnic tensions You good?

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike Nationwide / Niger Delta University Admission List For 2009/2010 Is Out / She Passed 3 Good Schools Which One Should I Pick?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.