Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,768 members, 7,851,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:42 AM

Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali (632 Views)

Tracking Of Custom Duty / Vehicles With Underpayment Of Custom Duties, What's The Way Forward? / Open Letter To Cosplay, Ipfreely & Co (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by desmond2pk: 4:41pm On Jun 12, 2017
Dear sir,
Permit me to reach you through this medium. I sincerely believe that you will look into my matter and save me from this predicament.
I deal on auto parts and I specialize on car keys.
Recently I bought some keys from US. Mainly Honda keys, Old Toyota keys, Ford keys and others. The costs of the keys are still on the online website that I bought the keys which I will attach some of them here. some of the keys were supplied by a friend who apply the same trade in Chicago United States and we agreed that I would pay him $480, equivalent to N166,500 after I have sold the keys.
On 7th of this month, a lady called me from Mushin post office that my parcel arrived and I should come with N281,000 to claim my parcel. I asked her why I should pay N281,000 for a parcel that I used to pay N1,500, she told me that she doesn't know because the charges is from customs. She referred me to Shomolu post office. Because I was In Abuja, I had to send a letter of authorization to my wife to go there on my behalf and act on my behalf. When she got there, she was advised to write a letter of reassessment to the custom officers that did the first assessment. She wrote the letter and submitted it to the manager at shomolu post office.
We expected something positive because I strongly believe that the charges was given in error. The officers wrongly assumed that I was a car importer and the keys belonged to cars I imported. Because I can't see any reason anybody can charge me N281,000 on a parcel that is not more than 3 kg. Some of the keys are not worth more that N5,000 in our ladipo MARKET.
Sir, I am begging you to quickly intervene to save my business and to save me from going into debt.
Right now the parcel is with them at the post office. I do not have the numbers of the custom officers but I sure have the number of the manager shomolu post office. I believe through her you can get in touch with the custom officers who billed me N281,000 for a parcel of keys that are not up to $500.
I can be reached on this phone numbers. 08137606444 or 08146282886.
Below are some of the keys and their prices from the online shop I bought them.

Hoping to hear from you soonest.

Desmond. I
Shop 42, 169 Ladipo street Mushin. Lagos.

Re: Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by desmond2pk: 8:57pm On Jun 15, 2017
Delivery note

Re: Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by gabng(m): 5:03pm On Jun 16, 2017
Response from Head of Bureau of Public Service Reforms.

Re: Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by desmond2pk: 3:56am On Jun 17, 2017
[quote author=gabng post=57579224]Response from Head of Bureau of Public Service Reforms.[/quote
Thanks a lot. The case is being reassessed right now and we are hoping for a positive response from the officials in charge.
Thanks a lot.
Re: Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by ademoladeji(m): 4:42am On Jun 17, 2017
I think a direct letter to Abuja would be fine.
More so, you stay in Abuja
Re: Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by besttrader: 4:52am On Jun 17, 2017
I'll try and retrieve the email I got from the same useless customs when my shipment got in from Hong Kong, these guys almost ruin my budding business at that time. The gave me a reckless duty of around N140,000. I really didn't know how they came up with that figure, the shipment came in via DHL and I was given 1 week or else I'll start incurring demurrage.

There's no ease of doing business in Nigeria. Those folks in government understand nothing about stimulating an economy and how to go about it. It was a terrible experience, it was back and forth with customs for close to 2 months, before my goods were handed over to DHL for onward delivery.

Seriously, I really don't know what to say. considering this is Nigeria, if you can get a highly placed custom official to broker things for you, please do it. Else, your business will suffer and your income will shrink over time (just maybe). really sorry bro!
Re: Open Letter To The Comptroller General Of Custom Col. Ahmeed. Ali by desmond2pk: 7:15am On Jun 17, 2017
besttrader:
I'll try and retrieve the email I got from the same useless customs when my shipment got in from Hong Kong, these guys almost ruin my budding business at that time. The gave me a reckless duty of around N140,000. I really didn't know how they came up with that figure, the shipment came in via DHL and I was given 1 week or else I'll start incurring demurrage.

There's no ease of doing business in Nigeria. Those folks in government understand nothing about stimulating an economy and how to go about it. It was a terrible experience, it was back and forth with customs for close to 2 months, before my goods were handed over to DHL for onward delivery.

Seriously, I really don't know what to say. considering this is Nigeria, if you can get a highly placed custom official to broker things for you, please do it. Else, your business will suffer and your income will shrink over time (just maybe). really sorry bro!
Thanks brother. Previously things were not like this. The country can not grow without small businesses. We have watched small businesses grew to mega businesses in China over the days. We saw how their government provider enabling environments for them. In our case it's different. I bought items that are not contraband worth $500 and I was being charged $750 to collect my items. My foreign partner couldn't believe that an extra charge would be paid after the shipping fee of $95 which he paid there. I am not an economist anyway but I don't think this type of economic policy will build our economy and employ labours. Dies our government care? I don't think. They care more about "political labours" with high figures on tvs. One day one government will release that Nigerians pay the most foolish taxes on earth.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Worthy To Buy KESS V5.017 China ? / Quick Sale~2010 Registered Faultless M-benz E350 Selling@6.1m(in Abuja) / Toks 2004 Toyota Camry Le @ 1.650m sold! sold!! sold!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.